Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

angel opportunity posted:

(the cover, not my jacking off)
Ehh, no longer interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brotherly
Aug 20, 2014

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

If anyone really wants to see, you can PM me and I'll show you (the cover, not my jacking off)

I saw the cover, it was good!

The jacking off was just OK.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

:siren: PSA: There was a goon from this thread that hired me to make a cover. My emails are bouncing, could you send me an email from a different address please? :siren:

e: also, yes, my romance covers are good, please hire me and send work my way.

Dr. Snuggles
Dec 3, 2012

Tbh some of us (Pick) use this website more than others and I feel that I am unfairly subsidizing picks posting. Unless some kind of fee by post usage is enabled were basically instituting a forced welfare state of posting.
Does anyone here write Mystery/Thriller?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Aferisan posted:

Does anyone here write Mystery/Thriller?

I do!

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Sometimes.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I do.

Dr. Snuggles
Dec 3, 2012

Tbh some of us (Pick) use this website more than others and I feel that I am unfairly subsidizing picks posting. Unless some kind of fee by post usage is enabled were basically instituting a forced welfare state of posting.
Is the market different for thrillers than romance or erotica? I figure sundaes arc service probably only really fits romance or erotica.

I see a lot of thrillers and mystery in the best sellers. Is the market dominated by a couple big 15 names or is there room for new authors?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Aferisan posted:

Is the market different for thrillers than romance or erotica? I figure sundaes arc service probably only really fits romance or erotica.

I see a lot of thrillers and mystery in the best sellers. Is the market dominated by a couple big 15 names or is there room for new authors?

I can't vouch for thrillers, but my list is only for romance / e-rom for now. No erotica or other mainstream genres yet, because I haven't been marketing to those genres.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I made Hot New Releases for Erotica this month!

I mean, yeah, I'm currently ranked #99 out of #100, but STILL.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Sundae posted:

I can't vouch for thrillers, but my list is only for romance / e-rom for now. No erotica or other mainstream genres yet, because I haven't been marketing to those genres.

Can you post a link to your ARC service info? Now that I want it I can't seem to find it.

I'm about to launch my first mainstream PNR novel on a new pen name (after a couple years of being lazy and squirting out occasional erotica shorts and gay PNR novellas). I'm basically writing full time now and need to get eyes and reviews on my forthcoming releases so I don't die naked in a gutter from ramen poisoning.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
https://www.hotnewbooks.com

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Thanks you steward of steaminess :allears:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

http://gawker.com/british-writer-tracks-down-teen-who-gave-his-book-a-bad-1741713016

Livin' the dream...

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

gently caress ravenkult, there's a new sheriff in town

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 14, 2015

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I mean he can't even spell Britain for a st- *thunk*

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I think it's important that you really shame people for this kind of behavior or anything leading up to it. I knew an author who tracked down the identity of one of their reviewers and mailed her a grammar book (because her review had said that he got something wrong when it was actually right) with the relevant parts highlighted. At first I thought it was a joke but then she edited her review to say that she had received the book in the mail and that the author should get some professional help and I was just like :psyduck:

EngineerSean fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 15, 2015

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I think this blog post from SBTB is pretty relevant to the issue of reader criticism regardless of your chosen genre.

http://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/2014/10/the-choices-of-kathleen-hale/

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Even before I clicked on this I could tell from the URL it was that psychopath who smashed an 18-year-old girl over the head with a bottle. From behind. At her workplace. On the other side of the country. I'm actually looking forward to seeing how much jail time he gets for that.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Has anyone, anyone at all, found success with booktrope?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
KU rate is 0.0016

if you sell in India.

gerg_861
Jan 2, 2009

ravenkult posted:

:siren: PSA: There was a goon from this thread that hired me to make a cover. My emails are bouncing, could you send me an email from a different address please? :siren:

e: also, yes, my romance covers are good, please hire me and send work my way.

I'd guess this is me - I've dropped you a mail from another address. Thanks.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
My second book got off to a rocky start. The cover I bought was just passable, and I didn't give my ARC readers enough time to read. It looks like the book itself is much better, however, as all the reviews that did come in are super positive, and there are zero bad reviews so far. The rank is SLIGHTLY better than the last one at this point, but I managed to have the Bargainbooksy run a bit closer to launch. I'm curious to see if I can "stick" near this rank or not, or if it's just going to plummet.

I'm really hoping I can get book three to hit at least top 1,000. I am going to give the ARC readers 2.5 weeks at minimum.

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
I know some goons have listed their own "publisher" for their books instead of going with Amazon Direct or whatever it's called. I always liked the way that looked, and thought I might build a website for my own "press" that would basically just house my pseuds and link to my books for sale. Maybe a Facebook page too, if that needs to be a thing.

Are there any pitfalls or complications with this approach I'm not seeing? I'd rather know if it's more trouble than it's worth before I sink time into it.

Blue Scream fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 20, 2015

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I went ahead and did a "doing business as" for my "publisher" to be on the safe side. I think that cost $50 and entailed filling out a form and putting a classified in my local paper. I'm in California; don't know if this process varies much by state.

I also went ahead and had a logo done for my publisher, but that was a want, not a need.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Just discovered I'm being pirated. Both of my two top-selling story bundles are in a half-dozen places. Over two thousand downloads of my poo poo in the last week alone.

I know each of those isn't a lost sale or anything like that, but still - it hurts. Especially when my sales are about 75% of what they were last month.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A CAR!!

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

If I could download a car, you'd better believe I would.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Take it as a compliment as long as nobody's selling it for money.

Also my lowest grossing month this year is less then 10% of my highest grossing month, swings are just something you should get used to.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALZZx1xmAzg

quote:

Take it as a compliment as long as nobody's selling it for money.

Yup. You can't stop it, so really there's no point fighting it (unless they're trying to sell it, in which case screw them just for the fun of it). I wasted waaaay too many hours sending DMCAs for my first book a few years ago, and for nothing because none of them would ever have bought the book.

Now... the guy who created a fake Amazon account and sold a pirated copy of my book on Amazon... I had fun with him. Well, as much fun as I could given he didn't live in the USA.

brotherly
Aug 20, 2014

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED
So how long does this Kindlemas boost last? Am I going to be rich soon?

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
December has been my worst selling month every year since I started in 2011.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

brotherly posted:

Dec 26-29 last year were amazing for me. Had some $500 days as an erotica scrub. KU2 is different though...that's a lot of page reads.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

brotherly posted:

Its already over, sorry.

Real answer is all of January.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I've got all my old smut on promo between the 26th-30th, so we'll see how I get on. My last few attempts at promoting it have been thoroughly lacklustre however, so i'm not getting my hopes up.

Honestly though i'm way more excited for the novel i've been working on. A combination of depression, house renovation and 'but it's Christmas' diversions have flat out left me with way more days when I haven't written than days when I have, especially over the last month or so. When I do sit down to write though, it feels good. I'm not overplanning, I've laid out roughly where the beats need to happen in the wordcount and i'm taking it a chapter at a time.

In January, i'm hoping to buy one of those A4 year planners from WHSmith to stick to the back of my writing laptop screen. I'm going to mark every day with the wordcount and a big black X on days when I can't write, because I feel like right now I don't have enough accountability in terms of making sure I produce wordcount every goddamn day. At the very least it will mean I can keep track of recurring excuses and work on solutions.

2015 sucked, and I have to try much harder in 2016. If I get a cash boost over Xmas I think that might help motivate me, but like I say, i'm not holding out for it.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Bobby Deluxe, have you given the monthly Long Walk challenges a shot? The risk is that if you fail to hit your writing goal during the month, you get a toxx ban in the end.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
December has been awful for me. Really, really awful. It's not surprising though - people are busy shopping, preparing for Christmas, and visiting family. Once January rolls around, we'll get all the new kindles and KU subs that people got as gifts, and everyone else will be reading more too.

Bobby Deluxe, I'm in the same boat as you in a lot of ways. I struggle to motivate myself at the best of times, and the whole holiday period makes it that much more difficult. All I need to do it sit down and write like, 2k a day as a baseline. That would be a novel a month. What happens at the moment is I release a book, feel good about the income boost I see, then my brain uses that as an excuse to take a break and not work when I should be. Cue income drop a few weeks later, cue motivation returning, the cycle repeats.

When I actually get started I can do 2k words in a couple of hours without breaking a sweat, it's just getting started that I'm terrible at. If anyone wants to do some sort of accountability partnership thing with me (we add each other on Skype or whatever and just have a brief chat each day to tell the other person what we've done) that might help. PM me if you're interested. We could also do edit swaps or beta reads, things like that - something that's 'work' that'll get me to sit down and get into that mindset.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Popular Human posted:

Just discovered I'm being pirated. Both of my two top-selling story bundles are in a half-dozen places. Over two thousand downloads of my poo poo in the last week alone.

I know each of those isn't a lost sale or anything like that, but still - it hurts. Especially when my sales are about 75% of what they were last month.

Download the pirated version and see if it's got your CTAs and links to other books and stuff. If so, honestly I'd be fine with it

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

All of my poo poo has been pirated on some pretty shady looking sites. It doesn't bother me, not much can be done about.

As long as it's not being pirated on Amazon, or some other legitimate storefront then I'd put it out of your mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

RedTonic posted:

Bobby Deluxe, have you given the monthly Long Walk challenges a shot? The risk is that if you fail to hit your writing goal during the month, you get a toxx ban in the end.
The full backstory is a giant wad of e/n bullshit, but the condensed version is that numerous things are wrong in my life - viewed individually or without depression it's no more that anyone would consider manageable, but taken overall i've not been doing too well.

So the upshot of it is that I am trying not to promise anything in advance, because I don't know, on the day, if i'll actually have the opportunity to do it. I live with a loud annoying twat who's off all the time, and I had been going to the library to get out of her way, but it being December, i'm waiting in for packages as well as a variety of people working on the house. I've also lost a week and a half to the wife taking surprise time off and the accompanying xmas bullshit, and spending the few days i've had inbetween trying to cool down from the aforementioned.

Christmas can suck a dick and I can't wait for January, basically. The good news is I've spent most of the last 6 months reinforcing that I want Amazon tokens, and no i'm not just saying that, i'm not being lazy, it's not a sucky gift, please actually give me Amazon tokens this time you useless bunch of bastards.