Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gerdalti posted:

Just to counter point, I've had 28 of 30 computers with no issues at all in my test deployment. The first problem one ended up having bad ram, the second had on and off Cortana search issues.

That's is in a work environment right? I'm assuming workstations with similar hardware across all machines. Anything in those 30 computers with high end GPUs? 64+GB or Ram? Any of those computers used for anything other than office work? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

So, I just purchased a new Dell and I made a recovery drive through Windows 10. If I restored my computer using this drive, does it also install all of the software that came with it? Or is it a fresh install and I'll have to look for the drivers?

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Stanley Pain posted:

That's is in a work environment right? I'm assuming workstations with similar hardware across all machines. Anything in those 30 computers with high end GPUs? 64+GB or Ram? Any of those computers used for anything other than office work? :)

Yeah, on a domain. 20 of them are one model, higher end I5 with 16 GB of ram, Intel video. The other ten are another model, but similar specs. Pretty bog standard poo poo really. I have been using 10 on my home computers too, and it's been ok, a few snags back during the insider preview stages though.

I think most of the people who have issues are power users honestly. People who like to get in to the settings and operate slightly differently than the average user. 5 years ago that would have been me, but I mostly just game and browse forums these days. I toss in higher end ( budget) hardware on my home machine and just fly with default settings, and it works good enough.

Windows 10 isn't quite mature enough for the tinkerers yet, they haven't worked all those kinks out, which is pretty obvious when you have things like the old control panel, the settings panel, etc.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
So, Windows 10 installed some updates last night. It decided Edge needed to be my new default PDF reader. It also decided to unpin everything I had pinned in the start menu and remove the custom sections I had created and placed them in. Thanks, Microsoft!

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Are there any common performance fixes for Win 10 besides updating drivers? Getting a pretty significant performance downgrade in games since upgrading on a Nvidia 670 and new drivers aren't helping any. Like easily 15-30 fps lower in Rocket League and F04 so not just some tiny bechmark difference. Otherwise I'm digging Win 10 features (spaces, the expose thing) but that performance hit is pretty rough.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

GI_Clutch posted:

So, Windows 10 installed some updates last night. It decided Edge needed to be my new default PDF reader. It also decided to unpin everything I had pinned in the start menu and remove the custom sections I had created and placed them in. Thanks, Microsoft!
Updates have an unfortunate regularity of resetting any changes you make to its default programs. It's a pain in the rear end because while Edge is a decent enough reader, I've got Acrobat Pro which obviously does more, thanks Microsoft.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there a listing of major applications that aren't supported with Windows 10?

As in, for example WebEx doesn't support Windows 10 which holding me back given I've got to use this with work stuff.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

FuzzySlippers posted:

Are there any common performance fixes for Win 10 besides updating drivers? Getting a pretty significant performance downgrade in games since upgrading on a Nvidia 670 and new drivers aren't helping any. Like easily 15-30 fps lower in Rocket League and F04 so not just some tiny bechmark difference. Otherwise I'm digging Win 10 features (spaces, the expose thing) but that performance hit is pretty rough.

If you did an upgrade, reinstall clean.

I wouldn't have believed it myself, but one of my housemates who had been running on an upgrade install recently upgraded his GPU to a 980ti and was getting way lower 3DMark scores than he should have been. My SLI 970s were wiping the floor with him even though we have literally the same CPU/mobo/RAM. He did a clean reinstall and gained almost 2000 points on Fire Strike.

No other benchmarks were run as he was planning to do the reinstall with the upgrade anyways, but it was a lot more of a difference than I'd have expected.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Gerdalti posted:

Yeah, on a domain. 20 of them are one model, higher end I5 with 16 GB of ram, Intel video. The other ten are another model, but similar specs. Pretty bog standard poo poo really.

Desktops or laptops?

Of the ten or twelve laptops I've upgraded only one (a ThinkPad T430s) worked without a hitch, the rest either had completely non-functional trackpoints/pads (various age HP EliteBooks), crashing video drivers (first gen i5/7), broken audio (newish Asus 15") or just flat out non-functional power management (my beloved AMD E-350 netbook).

No issues with desktops, but then they tend to have much less fiddly hardware.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Jesus christ MS, everyone knows you want to force everyone possible onto WinX, but please quit un-hiding the WinX installer app in KB3035583 update and trying to backdoor it on me for fucks sake.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

dissss posted:

Desktops or laptops?

Of the ten or twelve laptops I've upgraded only one (a ThinkPad T430s) worked without a hitch, the rest either had completely non-functional trackpoints/pads (various age HP EliteBooks), crashing video drivers (first gen i5/7), broken audio (newish Asus 15") or just flat out non-functional power management (my beloved AMD E-350 netbook).

No issues with desktops, but then they tend to have much less fiddly hardware.

They're mostly EliteBook 840 G1 or G2s. The smaller handful are something like 8460's or something (can't remember the model at the moment). All laptops at the office.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

slidebite posted:

Jesus christ MS, everyone knows you want to force everyone possible onto WinX, but please quit un-hiding the WinX installer app in KB3035583 update and trying to backdoor it on me for fucks sake.

Yeah, that's really winding me up.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

Updates have an unfortunate regularity of resetting any changes you make to its default programs.

It happened once with the November update.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Tab8715 posted:

As in, for example WebEx doesn't support Windows 10 which holding me back given I've got to use this with work stuff.

"Doesn't support" as in "we haven't specifically tested this OS"? My product manager has a Surface Pro 3 w/Windows 10 that seems to work fine with WebEx for calling in and screen sharing. Is there something in particular that doesn't work?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How the hell are you starting the app?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Tab8715 posted:

I don't know about a comprehensive list but WebEx works fine for me in W10 using Firefox and I've been told that Chrome works too. Are you using Edge?

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Tab8715 posted:

How the hell are you starting the app?

I can ask him tomorrow maybe and see if he is doing anything special, but I'm pretty sure he's doing the exact same things as when he had a laptop with Windows 7 and everything works fine for him.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

MikusR posted:

It happened once with the November update.
That's unfortunate.

But really, it's happened at least twice on my work computer - though probably because it's on Insider builds - and it probably seems like more to me because I kept getting "oh yeah, I open with this now" prompts for like a month and I'm running 10 on two computers.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Is it possible to have a different wallpaper for each virtual desktop?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I wish I could license the LTSB for home use because it undoes all my Windows 10 annoyances right out of the gate.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
Yikes. Tried clean installing from a USB drive for almost four hours. Got nothing but freezes on the blue Win10 symbol or "Invalid partition table."

The fact that the official media creation tool needs to redownload the iso after every attempt didn't help. Rufus didn't work either though, so I guess it didn't matter. It did at least let me see the Win10 symbol, which is more than the official tool did.

So I just downloaded the iso manually and installed in place, keeping nothing. Then it froze on pre-downloading updates for an hour at 0%. Then I cancelled and it froze on "closing and cleaning up" for just under half an hour.

Now it seems like it's working if I skip updates. If I "keep nothing" and then do a reset install as soon as the in place install finishes, that's about the cleanest I could hope for, right?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

If you hit "create installation media to upgrade another PC" I'm pretty sure you're left with a static USB that won't need to redownload anything; I used the same one on multiple machines without issue. Perhaps if it hits a CRC error it silently voids the USB?

Create USB > reboot > install is the easiest method of getting a clean install.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

el_caballo posted:

Got nothing but freezes on the blue Win10 symbol or "Invalid partition table."

You may be experiencing hardware failure

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Factor Mystic posted:

You may be experiencing hardware failure

Alternatively you updated your motherboard bios which made Windows 10 decide that your boot partition was the C drive, your OS partition was the D drive, and your second hard-drive was the E drive. God that was fun to deal with.

edit: If you can't get to the recovery area (that will give you a command prompt so you can use diskpart and fix things) though it's probably a hardware issue.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
Maybe. Who knows. I used the same USB drive that I successfully (and painlessly) used to put Win10 on my lovely old netbook three months ago. And then I tried two others. I used two different machines to create the bootable drive.

It's on there now. Two in place installs seem to give you a clean copy of Windows. :shrug:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

dud root posted:

What exactly does the search bar search? I've unticked online/web results. Does it require indexing because I usually clear that out of entries.

Basically I just want it to search my c: drive so I dont have to open a file explorer, then open c:, then click in the top right
From the preview builds to the release, at this point I still don't have a concrete idea. Obviously apps on the Start menu (when it's working), but the results for my local files are wildly inconsistent - sometimes the file I want will be the first hit, but many times I'll get nothing but web search results and have to hit "My Stuff". It seems to operate on a small cached list of recently accessed files and doesn't actually search your entire index until you hit "My Stuff", why I have no idea when Win7 could accomplish that with no delay.

While this may somewhat of a niche problem, the lack of any tooltip when you do get a search hit to show location (like Win7 would do) is obnoxious, as there are instances where I have a file with the same name but have it in different locations (such as using both Google Drive for business and Onedrive for my personal). So in those instances I can't trust that the file I'm opening is the one I want, so I'm basically clicking "My Stuff", waiting a couple of secs for the results, and scrolling down to my local files. I say scrolling down as the first hits are one Onedrive, which if you click that file opens up a browser link. Jesus.

That, and the lack of indexing emails/messaging/appointments, christ searching for your local stuff is such a huge regression from Win7. The bigger thumbnail views and image previews are about the only improvement, but still has nothing on OSX's Quick Look from ~8 years ago which offered nearly instantaneous resizable previews of almost any file on 5400rpm laptop HD's and first gen Core CPU's.

Yeah I care about search

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
You're the first to reply to that, so thanks. Even when I hit My Stuff I'm not confident is actually searching everything because I've seen stale results in there

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
The weirdest thing I've seen with the search in Windows 10 is that I can type part of a file name and find the file, but then if I continue to type the complete file name it goes away from the search results entirely.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Phoenixan posted:

The weirdest thing I've seen with the search in Windows 10 is that I can type part of a file name and find the file, but then if I continue to type the complete file name it goes away from the search results entirely.

That's how google's omnibar works with web sites!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Local search has been a joke since Windows 8. I can't believe there's still no way to have it always search your local stuff first without doing to a web search. At least in 8 you could hit Winkey + F or whatever for local files.

It's tempting to install Start10 since it gives the option of the Windows 7 search behaviour, which does the trick every time.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Local search has been a joke since Windows 8. I can't believe there's still no way to have it always search your local stuff first without doing to a web search.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Local search has been a joke since Windows 8. I can't believe there's still no way to have it always search your local stuff first without doing to a web search. At least in 8 you could hit Winkey + F or whatever for local files.

It's tempting to install Start10 since it gives the option of the Windows 7 search behaviour, which does the trick every time.
Just upgrade to Win10 already. It's so much better than Win8.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

I'm on the latest Insider build (11082) and that specific option isn't there, though it still made no difference when I disabled it on older builds. It stopped showing web results but didn't show me local results til I clicked My Stuff. I don't know why they insist on making it so poo poo.

Josh Lyman posted:

Just upgrade to Win10 already. It's so much better than Win8.

I'm already on 10. I never minded Windows 8 (except for the local search :smith:).

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Gerdalti posted:

I think most of the people who have issues are power users honestly.
Cool the Win8 defense love me some 2014 nostalgia

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Phoenixan posted:

Yep, seen this behavior myself as well.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm on the latest Insider build (11082) and that specific option isn't there, though it still made no difference when I disabled it on older builds. It stopped showing web results but didn't show me local results til I clicked My Stuff. I don't know why they insist on making it so poo poo.
Remember you have to disable Cortana to get that option to show up.

Yes, get the same behavior when I disable it though - it removes the web search results, and replaces it with...white space. You still have to search My Stuff to get hits on most of your files.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
https://www.voidtools.com/

This is my solution to crap Windows search (for actual files, anyway).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Is there word yet on an official or unofficial tool to stop automatic downloads and installs of ~whatever~ MS wants you to have? That's probably the biggest single reason why I haven't updated any of my boxes/laptops yet.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

slidebite posted:

Is there word yet on an official or unofficial tool to stop automatic downloads and installs of ~whatever~ MS wants you to have? That's probably the biggest single reason why I haven't updated any of my boxes/laptops yet.

Pro will allow you to defer updates.

I like this search tool: Everything https://www.voidtools.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

Pro will allow you to defer updates.

I like this search tool: Everything https://www.voidtools.com/

Can that replace the useless windows search? Like integrate into start search results?