Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

Honestly, I just expect him to punch out of it like he did with Ground Dragon.

I'm hoping for more comedy too. They'll have forgotten about him and another meeting will be taking place and then on their way out someone pauses mid-step to see his face in the floor.

Staring.

Weird thing I noticed about the manga recently: We haven't really gotten any names of the heroes so far. We've got Saitama, Genos, Tatsumaki and Fubuki but everyone else is still going by Hero names so far right?

Or Speed of Sonic Sound (lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
bang

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's also Metal Knight, whose name is Bofoi.

Yeah, Bang seems to be a unique case cause he prefers to be called by his name instead of his hero name. When Genos referred to Metal Knight as Bofoi, Bofoi stated that heroes should be addressed by their hero names, not their real names.

Tatsumaki and Fubuki are also different because their hero names contain their actual names.

Hardly anyone refers to Saitama by his name I think. Bang, King, Genos, and Fubuki do, but they're close to him (for a loose definition of close). Saitama isn't really that well known and (like Genos) received his name during the Garou arc, which was the previous arc, so his hero name probably requires time to set in.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

hey

check out this fan animation of the end of the garou arc

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

There's also Metal Knight, whose name is Bofoi.

Yeah, Bang seems to be a unique case cause he prefers to be called by his name instead of his hero name. When Genos referred to Metal Knight as Bofoi, Bofoi stated that heroes should be addressed by their hero names, not their real names.

Tatsumaki and Fubuki are also different because their hero names contain their actual names.

Hardly anyone refers to Saitama by his name I think. Bang, King, Genos, and Fubuki do, but they're close to him (for a loose definition of close). Saitama isn't really that well known and (like Genos) received his name during the Garou arc, which was the previous arc, so his hero name probably requires time to set in.

Thanks, I totally forgot about Bofoy/i. Bang I remembered but I didn't think that was his actual name for some reason. Totally forgot about his brother; Detonation.

I dunno if I'd call them special (Aside from having real-deal acknowledged powers. That's pretty rare) but yeah I guess the esper siblings are kinda different.

No one talks to Saitama besides people who know his strength it seems.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I checked the chapters after the Garou arc and the DJ dude who got hit by Fubuki's car referred to him as Saitama, because that's what Saitama introduced himself as.

Makes sense, since Saitama hates being reminded that he's bald. So I guess he's like Bang.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Speaking of espers, I wonder if the green eye thing is an esper trait or a family trait. The only other espers I can think of in OPM were Geluganshp and Psykos, and one of those was an alien octopus thing.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

This is beautiful.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

I know right? Who would've thought the art would progress so well? It starts from 'Am I looking at some napkin doodles?' and then it gets 'Ok I can understand what I'm looking at here' all the way to 'I could unironically recommend this to someone because it finally looks decent'

And now you can suffer along with us.

its cause he hired assistants

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Wow

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Terror Sweat posted:

its cause he hired assistants

I didn't know that. I honestly thought it was still a one (:v:) man job still.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.
Pretty sure the assistants only help with Mob. OPM classic is still all ONE.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Because let's face it, some of Mob looks downright professional.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

The smile at the end is amazing.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
That smile of childish glee.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Because let's face it, some of Mob looks downright professional.

Well, it is the one he's getting paid to do, so it makes sense that some of that money should go towards making it look good.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Well, it is the one he's getting paid to do, so it makes sense that some of that money should go towards making it look good.

No argument there.

I do wonder if any of his assistants have ever offered to help with OPM though. They clearly don't, but I wonder if they would if they could. Or if ONE to afford to pay for the extra hours.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

afaik ONE still holds full rights to OPM web, right? So while I guess companies/murata could lean on him to hurry it up, I guess he ultimately has full control of his own deadlines in that department

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
ONE put this up:

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

PaganGoatPants posted:

ONE put this up:

Next up:
Actual update to the comic

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Finally decided to catch up with this version over the weekend. At least I think I'm caught up, if the last thing that happened was Sonic slipped on dog poo poo, then I'm all caught up.

Mostly all this did was hype me up for whenever Murata gets to it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Brightman posted:

Finally decided to catch up with this version over the weekend. At least I think I'm caught up, if the last thing that happened was Sonic slipped on dog poo poo, then I'm all caught up.

Mostly all this did was hype me up for whenever Murata gets to it.

Actually another chapter after that.

Don't trust Kissmanga, if that's what your using.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I'm surprised that the anime ended up not tying the meteor's course change to Boros. I guess it will end up being connected to Homeless Emperor's god.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah Kissmanga is missing a ton of chapters, not just the most recent one. Pretty sure batoto has everything though.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Brightman posted:

Here's what you're missing.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Mordaedil posted:

Here's what you're missing.

Thanks.

He's just gonna chill underground and take a nap again isn't he?

Davinci posted:

Yeah Kissmanga is missing a ton of chapters, not just the most recent one. Pretty sure batoto has everything though.

I tried that but it was just a few chapters in Portuguese, but looking back a few pages it looks like I need to make an account and log in to fix that? Ok.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

LostRook posted:

I'm surprised that the anime ended up not tying the meteor's course change to Boros. I guess it will end up being connected to Homeless Emperor's god.

Where was that connected to Boros in the comic? I missed that.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Fellis posted:

Where was that connected to Boros in the comic? I missed that.

It never changed course in the comic. It was specifically introduced in the anime as having done so and I figured they were going to tie it to Boros, cause space stuff. I guess they're playing a longer game.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Brightman posted:

Thanks.

He's just gonna chill underground and take a nap again isn't he?

I tried that but it was just a few chapters in Portuguese, but looking back a few pages it looks like I need to make an account and log in to fix that? Ok.

I had the Portuguese problem as well, you don't need an account to fix it though. Just open one of the Portuguese chapters, and at the top by the chapter number and page number drop down menus, it should have one for scanlator, open that and pick the English option.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The last episode of the anime has sorta made me think about Boros in comparison to Garou, and disregarding power levels, I think the most notable fact is how they react to Saitama.

Boros is able to understand that Saitama is powerful, though he underestimates just how powerful Saitama is. Meanwhile, Garou has no clue who Saitama is, thinks he's some weak hero who's popped up after Garou has already defeated pretty much every S-class. It's only after Saitama trounces him that he realizes how strong Saitama is.

Boros never actually grows stronger - his Meteoric Burst and final attack are both something he already had. Meanwhile, Garou constantly evolves throughout his arc, and even during his fight against Saitama, until he finally ends up despairing when he doesn't know how to evolve further and eventually compromises, which ends up making him weaker.

Which leads to the major difference in how the two react to Saitama's strength. Boros fights seriously, but not at full power until he realizes that Saitama outclasses him utterly, then he activates his Meteoric Burst, which shortens his lifespan. He's actually delighted that Saitama is so strong, because it gives him a reason to fight. He ends up resorting to his final attack, presumably in an attempt to get Saitama to take their fight even a bit more seriously. He gets his wish, and Saitama busts out a serious punch. Boros ends up dying and Saitama wins, but ultimately you get the feeling that Boros is the one who comes off with the better deal, cause he got what Saitama couldn't - a thrilling battle that he could stake his life on. In the end, I think Boros felt a mixture of gratitude and sympathy for Saitama.

On the other hand, Garou initially keeps trying to rationalize Saitama's strength away before coming to compare Saitama's strength with 'unfair justice.' Garou's a hell lot different from Boros in that while Boros was fighting seriously (but not at full strength), Garou was deliberately going out of his way to ensure that he didn't kill any humans. Despite being the Hero Killer, the dude's only killed monsters (though he did rip off a dude's arm, which is a tad rude). Garou didn't really want a fight, he wanted to be undefeatable, like Saitama or Boros (pre-Earth invasion). So when he met up with someone stronger, his wish was to become something, anything strong enough to handle Saitama.

From Saitama's perspective, Boros was actually a villain to defeat, while Garou was just a dude who needed a lecture. A determined warrior in contrast to a kid throwing a massive tantrum. Garou's arc was longer, and you actually get to see him grow, so he leaves an impression, but I'd say that Boros leaves something far more powerful - an impact.

Granted, I say this because of the anime and the added scenes. Presumably, my opinions will change once Murata finishes the Garou arc, allowing it to be animated. Garou's frustration with the unfairness of the world, and his attempts to reconcile his own personal definition of a hero with the reality of what heroes are truly like, is pretty powerful too.

I sorta wonder what Garou, who idolized villains who tried their best against the unbeatable heroes, would have thought of Boros. Most monsters don't actually live up to Garou's fantasy of villains doing their best to persevere - a lot of them posture before ultimately getting killed in one blow. And in non-Saitama / Tatsumaki battles, its generally the heroes who are struggling and end up losing, as was the case in the Garou vs S-class heroes match.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
It will probably be expanded and changed/mutated a little in Murata's version but yes, you are right in a lot of ways.

Garou thinks its total BULLSHIT that monsters keep being defeated just because the good guys, justice, must win. That means basically the heroes are bullshit too, because their not winning because they are better, stronger, more worthy of winning, but because the world is unfair. This leads him to the whole Hero Killer and his badboy attitude, eager to call heroes out on their pathetic nature, growing more powerful, with each hero he defeats he proves his point and, if it wasn't for Saitama literally and actually BEING an unfair, OP 'true' hero, so to speak, Garou would have actually been right and won. Who knows what would have actually happened after that.

I'm extremely eager to see the Murata's version of the whole arc. He's already made Metal Bat a loving badass in ways never before seen.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Garou has one of my favorite character arc I've seen in an action series, and can't wait to see the Murata expanded version. The exposition during Super Alloy Darkshine's fight with Garou parallels well to a lot of other fights too, including Boros and Garou vs Saitama I think. Not looking for a "good fight" but a "fight to feel good about." Garou fell into despair as he realized he wasn't going to win, while Boros really was ready to stake his life on a fight he realized he couldn't win.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I could've sworn the title was Hero Hunter and not Hero Killer.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RareAcumen posted:

I could've sworn the title was Hero Hunter and not Hero Killer.

Might be.

I typed that out without checking sources, which isn't something I generally do.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah he's Hero Hunter / Human Monster

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I like that point on Boros contrasted with Garou, though Garou's arc is very much not just about him as a threat, but about him as a person, so what he was going to get out of a fight with Saitama was always going to be different.

And what he got out of it was confirmation that yeah, the world's incredibly unfair, but what he's doing isn't going to fix any of it and he was misguided all along. Boros' death had a lot of immediate impact because he was a foil to Saitama in his search for a good fight, but Garou's defeat was the culmination of his entire character arc and a sorely-needed education.

To touch on another topic, I don't mind if a fan translator shoves some curse words in Garou's mouth when he's in a stressful fight because he really is just some lovely delinquent with an attitude problem who needs help sorting himself out.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Just sat down and read everything between where Murata's leaves off and the last ONE chapter (it's 104 right? I have bad luck in finding places with updated lists). I thought it would be difficult due to the.... lower quality of the art but ONE has really improved his skill over time and it's really good. I still can't wait to see it redrawn/animated though.

And RIP Saitama's apartment, things will never be the same :smith:

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Saitama's apartment is probably one of the running jokes of this manga, along with Genos' arm. I think his new Hero Association apartent was wrecked again (or at least somewhat cracked) by his fight with Tatsumaki?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

only on chapter 62 of the ONE version, but the discussion in the anime thread made me wonder: has Blast shown up yet?