Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men." - Lord Acton

Personally I've never been in a position of power, great or small; but if I were? I'd have the moral fortitude to do the right thing. From being imbued with Kryptonian strength and flight to simply being made head fire warden where I work I'd strive to do the right thing and do right by everyone I met.

However if I were ever made the moderator of a message board or wikipedia? Oh you KNOW the power would go straight to my head and I would make any little shitstain who veered from my strict policies of misusing emoticons rue the day they ever bought a 48k modem. :black101:

There's something about the power of moderation that sends people a little bit doolally I've found. There seems to be a pretty thin line between making sure the message board/wiki page you're looking after isn't trampled over by mindless cretins and turning it into an Orwellian nightmare where anyone you don't like the look of gets shoved into the Memory Hole and this is the thread to post some examples. PLEASE keep examples from off-site. From the one example posted in the Game Devs Trolls thread I think this topic has some hilarious potential so PLEASE no Something Awful related drama. Thank you.

I'll throw up some mild examples first.

I used to post on a Slasher board years ago and got a warning for disliking Fraggle Rock of all things.

Used to post on a Hellraiser website. It was generally a Clive Barker site in general, really and if you know anything about the mad Scouse twat you'll know his work is very, VERY sexualised. Homo-eroticism, BDSM, the whole lot. So imagine the chaos that ensued when the guy who ran the place got a new girlfriend who was incredibly repressed sexually and gave her the power of head moderator. In less than a week almost every thread had been locked and almost every regular member had been banned.

Got banned from a Silent Hill forum for talking about Pyramid Head and sexual imagery portrayed...

And here's the Silent Hill themed inspiration for the entire thread.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Highlights, please?

Regalingualius posted:

-Someone points out to noted Silent Hill LPer VoidBurger that some loonie is editing in anti-circumcision rants into the article for one of the characters from 4.

-It turns out that said loonie is the head admin of the wiki.

-What follows is a spiraling descent into madness as he outs himself as a conspiracy theorist, radical fundamentalist, etc. for all the world to see.

-He doubles triples keeps going down for keeping the circumcision stuff, even after all of the other admins point out he's literally the only person in support of keeping it, and ends up blocking all of them after they jump on him for demanding to know whether one of them had her son circumcised.

-The admins for the entire wikia system have to get involved, and block him completely from the entire wikia network (since he'd started spreading his ranting to wikis for other games).

:psyduck: I can't even imagine this is the tip of the madness iceberg that is crazed moderation. I don't go to any other websites bar SA these day, but if you do and you know of any mad stories please share them with us.

Drunken Baker has a new favorite as of 15:36 on Dec 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

It's kind of ironic that you've made a thread that will immediately need intervention from a mod. :v:

E: Future-proofing because this shortly won't make sense, the thread was originally PTF Power Mad Mods.

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 15:01 on Dec 21, 2015

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

AlphaKretin posted:

It's kind of ironic that you've made a thread that will immediately need intervention from a mod. :v:

If I were a mod I'd ban you for sass-mouth. >:(

I kid, I kid.

However...

ChogsEnhour posted:

PLEASE keep examples from off-site. From the one example posted in the Gave Devs Trolls thread I think this topic has some hilarious potential so PLEASE no Something Awful related drama. Thank you.

Just to re-iterate.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'm pretty sure he's talking about your proclivity for typos reaching the title...:cheeky:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I think he got that but not unfairly interpreted needing SA mod intervention being ironic as implying that SA mods would be mentioned. I was going to disclaim that but it would have cluttered up the joke.

E: Just noticed you also missed "Gave Dev Trolls Thread"

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 15:02 on Dec 21, 2015

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
God drat it. I didn't even see that when I re-read it looking for a typo. :derp:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Post Thy Favorite
( ) ( )
Power Mad Mods, My Lord!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Greetings.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

AlphaKretin posted:

E: Just noticed you also missed "Gave Dev Trolls Thread"

Cheers. I blame this on me being in work and keeping on eye on my boss as I read about Silent Hill circumcisions and also on me being an idiot.

Of all the power man mods you're the best... Er, any chance of fixing the title, sir? :kiddo:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I can't do anything in PYF.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

Some power man mod you are.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

FactsAreUseless posted:

not with that attitude

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

FactsAreUseless posted:

we are here for u

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
You warm our hearts. What more can we ask of you?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Not so much malevolent as incompetent, but...

A few years ago, Blizzard created an entirely new forums system for WoW. For the most part, it was an improvement over the old one, so people started flocking to it as they started phasing out the old; hell, they even allowed people who had been banned on the old one to post again.

Then Blizzard dropped the bombshell: the new forum would soon start to display everyone's real name whenever they posted, in the name of "combating trolling and harassment". What followed was the single biggest flame war they'd ever experienced, with nearly everyone pointing out the many problems with that system. Blizzard... Doubled down, while at the same time stoking the fire even more by saying CMs/mods would be exempt.

It eventually came to a head when Bashiok, one of the more respected CMs, decided to post his real name to try to allay everyone's fears. Instead, he was on the receiving end of getting several dozen pizzas delivered to his door, among other things. Not long after that, they quietly announced that they were walking back the planned conversion.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
So is that whole thing the reason why that Voidburger LP stopped? Cause I was really digging it.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

RickVoid posted:

So is that whole thing the reason why that Voidburger LP stopped? Cause I was really digging it.

Yeah, it's a shame it was cut short like that.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Fixed the title for you (and added an addendum) :) Please be careful to keep this thread limited to off-site material, though, this could go south very quickly.

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
beaten by the OP of all things.

Buckets has a new favorite as of 21:14 on Dec 21, 2015

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

ChogsEnhour posted:

I used to post on a Slasher board years ago and got a warning for disliking Fraggle Rock of all things.

So did it seem serious? If it was just a warning and seemed humorous I probably would have laughed.

Ed: That Silent Hill meltdown is pretty funny, but also, I hope that guy sees a doctor. He's ill.

Weldon Pemberton has a new favorite as of 21:40 on Dec 21, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Fixed the title for you (and added an addendum) :) Please be careful to keep this thread limited to off-site material, though, this could go south very quickly.
Wow, more like, LITERALLY, A NAZI.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

FactsAreUseless posted:

Wow, more like, LITERALLY, A NAZI.

I'm a conure, not an eagle. :colbert:

e: poo poo that should have been a gas chamber joke

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 21:56 on Dec 21, 2015

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Conservapedia is an interesting case, in that all the mods there are crazy instant banning psychopaths.

Favorites are:
Being banned for not being "open minded", i.e. disagreeing with a mod.
Banning users for asserting that relativity is real.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ikanreed posted:

Conservapedia is an interesting case, in that all the mods there are crazy instant banning psychopaths.

Favorites are:

Anyone ever been banned for trying to remove "ragsnaozzle gus gus"?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I'm a conure, not an eagle. :colbert:

e: poo poo that should have been a gas chamber joke
Change your avatar to Chris Traeger

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'm taking that as a compliment.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Thread would be a thousand times more interesting if it allowed SA mods

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

When I go mad with power you can post about me here.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I have gone mad with power, you can post about me here.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

RickVoid posted:

Nope, I've just been really busy with various for like two months straight :( I tend to always have a big hiatus during my LPs.... bad habit.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

VoidBurger posted:

Nope, I've just been really busy with various for like two months straight :( I tend to always have a big hiatus during my LPs.... bad habit.

Sinful.

I'm friends with a couple of mods on a Harvest Moon forum, which is as chilled as you would expect so no freakouts from them. They've had good stories about poo poo they've dealt with though.

The only other forum besides SA and the Harvest Moon one I've spent a lot of time on is Neopets as a kid, which did have a big problem between mods and users when they deleted the General board. From what I hazily remember (this was a good ten or so years ago), the regulars migrated to the Newbie board and began complaining en masse, causing the mods to mass ban any users who weren't using it for its intended purpose. Eventually things died down, people were unbanned and the Newbie board became the new General board in all but name.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

It been a while since I read through the list but I'm fairly confident that a good number of Wikipedia's lamest edit wars involved inappropriate mod intervention.

And if I'm wrong it's an amusing read anyway :v:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Phy posted:

Anyone ever been banned for trying to remove "ragsnaozzle gus gus"?

What was that about again?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I saw r/TMBR (test my belief reddit) was trending a few days ago. Most of the mod team are hardcore MRA, and at least one was a determined rape apologist. Deleted at least one of my posts that made one look stupid, banned me for "testing the belief" they agreed with so much. Sub is basically a platform for MRAs to post their "controversial" opinions and be pleasantly surprised that everyone seems to agree with them.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Thank you. You're a star.

Weldon Pemberton posted:

So did it seem serious? If it was just a warning and seemed humorous I probably would have laughed.

They were serious! I just laughed anyway though. This was about 2001 or so though, my memory is hazy so I was probably acting more assholish than I remember... Maybe.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Long time ago, so I don't remember how much I'm projecting here, but some guy who got promoted to site admin on a webcomic forum got really pissed because people didn't care about his Doom/Sonic the Hedgehog fanfiction webcomic that he lost his loving mind and they actually had to close the forum out of damage control. Good times.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

It been a while since I read through the list but I'm fairly confident that a good number of Wikipedia;s lamest edit wars involved inappropriate mod intervention.

And if I'm wrong it's an amusing read anyway :v:

Wikipedia posted:

Richard Kyanka
An unseemly brawl over whether the article should name him "Richard Kyanka" or "Richard Charles Kyanka". At least the anon editors insisting on the insertion of the middle name provided good verifiable sources.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

What a weird way of spelling "Lowtax"

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ikanreed posted:

Favorites are:

They also tend to delete the user's editing history, which ends up removing any evidence they did anything in the first place. The result is it just looks like some people are banned for no reason out of the blue.

Certain sysops would brag about how much banning they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ikanreed posted:

What a weird way of spelling "Lowtax"
Of course.

Wikipedia posted:

Richard Kyanka
An unseemly Lowtax over whether the article should name him "Richard Kyanka" or "Richard Charles Kyanka". At least the Lowtax editors insisting on the insertion of the middle Lowtax provided good verifiable Lowtax.

• Locked thread