Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Bad Seafood posted:

ED 1 > ED 5 > ED 3 > ED 2 > ED 4

This is the worst ED ranking I have ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
SMH if you think any Hunter x Hunter ED was better than the first one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQxTl8d1mBY

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

personally ED5 was my fav

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
How can Ending 4 or 5 be so far apart? They are the same song. (A good song too.)

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

i think the magic of hxh for me is how it takes completely ridiculous things seriously and treats them with a lot of skill and detail, such as the nen powers and the fights in the chimera ant saga

it has this sense of pressure that most shonen series lack, especially when characters are trying to figure each other out!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

ED 1 > ED 5 > ED 3 > ED 2 > ED 4

Okay I just listened to all 5 EDs in a row and I can verify that Mod Seafood's list is objectively correct as all hell.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Actually, I might (ever so slightly) switch ED 2 and ED 4 around but that really depends on my mood.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

i think the magic of hxh for me is how it takes completely ridiculous things seriously and treats them with a lot of skill and detail, such as the nen powers and the fights in the chimera ant saga

it has this sense of pressure that most shonen series lack, especially when characters are trying to figure each other out!
I never minded when HxH had pages-long infodumps of stuff, and usually my eyes glave over when that poo poo happens. I think its because when HxH makes rules it actually sticks to them and does interesting things with them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Why the hell does Togashi have to be so good at writing manga? No one would give a gently caress if some mediocre scrub had his release schedule, but Togashi's stuff is great and I always want more.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Serious Frolicking posted:

Why the hell does Togashi have to be so good at writing manga? No one would give a gently caress if some mediocre scrub had his release schedule, but Togashi's stuff is great and I always want more.

Well, Togashi presumably is allowed to have his release schedule because of how loving good he is.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Well, Togashi presumably is allowed to have his release schedule because of how loving good he is.

Nah, he supposedly has a great contract and sj presumably knows what the hell his mysterious problem is.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh, I mean, he's loving good at drawing / planning manga and the people at SJ know that, which lets him get better contracts than other authors. At least, that's how I've seen it.

I dunno the details behind his illness or whatever.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wonder what it would like to be Togashi's editor.

Call him up every 6 months.

"Hey man you feel like knocking out a chapter sometime this month? Okay, I'll call you next year then."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Oh, I mean, he's loving good at drawing / planning manga and the people at SJ know that, which lets him get better contracts than other authors. At least, that's how I've seen it.

I dunno the details behind his illness or whatever.

No one does, but lots of people claim otherwise anyway. Maybe he is sick, maybe he has a sick family member, maybe he is a drunk, maybe he is an enormous drama queen, maybe he is just financially secure and only works when he feels like it, etc. The reason has never been made public. All we know is that he goes on hiatus a lot, his art sometimes goes to poo poo, and he supposedly doesn't like having assistants.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The reason why the manga keeps going on hiatus is because Togashi isn't making the story up, he's actually travelling into another alternate world where he spends his time following a group of heroes around chronicling their adventures and has to come back ever so often to document it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

R.I.P. Cheetu, who effectively stupided himself to death.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Just Awake is a good rear end song that makes me think that early between the buried and me and cynic had a j rock baby. ED-5 was really good too. Man the 2011 anime was good.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

How can Ending 4 or 5 be so far apart? They are the same song. (A good song too.)
ED 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeaYYXAzXAI

ED 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTH0CjmN_Yw

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Pierson posted:

I never minded when HxH had pages-long infodumps of stuff, and usually my eyes glave over when that poo poo happens. I think its because when HxH makes rules it actually sticks to them and does interesting things with them.

Usually, this is true, but I kind of lost my immersion when Netero suicided himself. It was kind of "Hey, by the way. This fantasy world happens to have suitcase nukes. Didn't know that, did you? And not only do they exist, they're so proliferated that terrorists and minor dictators have used them several times over the course of their short existence engaging in power struggles. And they turn their victims into walking radiation emitters!"

(I have a feeling Togashi is starkly anti-nuclear power. :ssh: )

On another note, the Chairman election arc was hilarious just for having Morel and Biskey in the running, and both are them are like, "I don't want this loving job. Are you serious?"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Srice posted:

tfw you realize what Pariston's

An awesome rear end in a top hat voiced by Ryu Beelzebub the 3rd Hiroki Takahashi.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

R.I.P. Cheetu, who effectively stupided himself to death.

Most satisfying scene ever

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

It was insanely badass how Netero blew himself up with an A-bomb and that's how the King died. Probably one of my favorite parts of the series.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Usually, this is true, but I kind of lost my immersion when Netero suicided himself. It was kind of "Hey, by the way. This fantasy world happens to have suitcase nukes. Didn't know that, did you? And not only do they exist, they're so proliferated that terrorists and minor dictators have used them several times over the course of their short existence engaging in power struggles. And they turn their victims into walking radiation emitters!"

(I have a feeling Togashi is starkly anti-nuclear power. :ssh: )
Yeah, it's almost like Japan has a bad history with nuclear weapon.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

:drat:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HxH has the internet and all sorts of advanced technology. Them having nuclear weapons or near-nuclear weapons isn't particularly surprising.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Bad Seafood posted:

Poe's Law is a helluva thing.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I love the sudden nuke. Hunter loves to build up some big fight and then resolve it in an unexpected but strangely satisfying way, and having the biggest baddie be killed by a nuclear weapon is both unexpected and immediately understandable. It's tragic and kind of hilarious. If that was the end of the arc it would have been a bit of a let down, but there was still so much to get to after that and it all took on a different tone. Really great stuff.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

I love the sudden nuke. Hunter loves to build up some big fight and then resolve it in an unexpected but strangely satisfying way, and having the biggest baddie be killed by a nuclear weapon is both unexpected and immediately understandable. It's tragic and kind of hilarious. If that was the end of the arc it would have been a bit of a let down, but there was still so much to get to after that and it all took on a different tone. Really great stuff.

Agreedo

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
It's especially interesting because if you just made maybe one or two small corrections the entire arc would have proceeded in a far more normal but still very satisfying direction

but it's the idiosyncrasies that really make hxh so special

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I thought Gon turning into a giant adult man with infinitely tall hair was really weird and I didn't like it, but that's just my opinion.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

mabels big day posted:

I thought Gon turning into a giant adult man with infinitely tall hair was really weird and I didn't like it, but that's just my opinion.

IT WAS SO WEIRD AND IT WAS SO GOOD.

It would have bothered me more if it didn't have clearly terrible consequences. It also helps that the resolution to those consequences took a great power that we're only in the process of understanding, and will learn more about if we ever get more chapters of this thing.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

mabels big day posted:

I'm glad there are figures of this.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You can use him to pick your teeth.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the thing about the gon turning into a super powerful dude is that togashi took the stupid "super sayjin all is lost i've been pushed past the brink time to pull a powerup out of my rear end and win the day" thing and painted it with the actual real horror, pain, and loss such a psychological break would entail

it's why gon looks ugly and bizarre and just plain wrong, because the situation is all of those things

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
why didnt his nails grow really long too

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Gon's transformation was cool and creepy and not that outta nowhere when you consider Biscuit can do the same thing but in reverse.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Law Cheetah posted:

why didnt his nails grow really long too

it's hard to make a good fist with long nails and/or togashi just didn't think of it or think it was necessary

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I liked the Adult Gon thing, but introducing a limitless genie character to erase most of the consequences was bullshit.

Though it wasn't as bad as it could have been, since Gon still ended up with weaker powers.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

gon's nen is gone so it's not exactly no consequences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, the fact that his transformation actually had gravity to it and (presumably) live-changing consequences makes me forgive the way it was solved. As long as Gon never, ever does it again.

The Devil Tesla posted:

I would have been alright with it if it didn't take another ten episodes for any of them to loving die. That whole thing with Pouf making the contest just made me want to pull my hair out.