Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

Is Ben a reverse ninja?

No, but he has stress-binge eaten a few.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

hakimashou posted:

I downloaded the star citizen to go along with the ship someone gave me.

It runs like garbage even at low. Is there some way to make it not run as bad? I saw hundreds of pages back someone had changes to a cfg file or something.

So far, in the about 40 minutes i could tolerate playing it:

It took a long time to remap the controls- if you bind something that's already bound, it doesn't tell you or unbind it from the other control. Leads to unwanted behavior.

I got stuck in the T-posture and gliding through the floor.

I tried to do the friendship drive knockoff thing and it worked for a while then the ship just exploded.

I cant really figure out the difference between 'boost' and 'afterburner.' Neither seems to have a visual effect when viewed in 3rd person.

I cant seem to find a speedometer on my ship.

The m50 doesnt seem very good for ramming, it just gets stuck to bigger ships. its worth 80 dollars in store credit if i melt it, should i get something else?

I have 24,000 "UEC" which i gather is a cash shop thing but can't be used to buy ships? What's it for and can I do anything with it?

Is there any way to get access to spawn other ships aside from buying them?

Answers:

1. You could get an avenger, it should be heavier and better for ramming.
2. No ships (yet), though you will be able to use it for that once the final game comes out in 2026
3. You can try any of the big ships in the game, just go to landing pad 9 or 10 when you log in and wait for a Constellation / Retaliator to spawn. Wait for the owner to come to the landing pad and call the elevator down - get on it together with him and spring for the pilot seat. If you do this correctly you can fly your newly acquired ship around and you also get to make a new friend.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Got my refund denied yesterday with the standard response. Sent them an email back saying that it was an unacceptable response blah blah blah. They responded very quickly say that it can't be done because its outside of the grace period and they only do them now on a discretionary basis. Charge back time.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

comatose posted:

Got my refund denied yesterday with the standard response. Sent them an email back saying that it was an unacceptable response blah blah blah. They responded very quickly say that it can't be done because its outside of the grace period and they only do them now on a discretionary basis. Charge back time.

gl!

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
I'm trying to download this poo poo test-bed to ruin someone's day, and holy poo poo is their download client horrible. You can't stop a download and reboot, it'll just start from scratch. I left it on overnight to download, it stopped halfway for no apparent reason.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015
Can you melt your stuff and buy physical goods with it?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Barnsy posted:

I'm trying to download this poo poo test-bed to ruin someone's day, and holy poo poo is their download client horrible. You can't stop a download and reboot, it'll just start from scratch. I left it on overnight to download, it stopped halfway for no apparent reason.

Omg really? REALLY?

I just got yet ANOTHER reason not to even thinking about touching this then.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

comatose posted:

Let us know how the charge back goes, most people in here who got their money back did it through refunds so it will be interesting to see how long it takes via the charge back method.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Barnsy posted:

That someone was you :v:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
All of this stuff is the best. If star citizen turns out to be a good game, we win, we can play it and not spend thousands of dollars on it. If it turns out to be a heaping pile of poo poo like it inevitably will, we still win, because it was hilarious on the way.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

No true Shitizen.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Came for the schadenfreude; overwhelmed by the fremdschämen

Boy those Germans have a word for everything!

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

G0RF posted:

at 16:45, she attempts to land on a derelict station while raving about how amazing the "From Pupil to Planet" video was. Landing gear is down- all is looking good- when it suddenly bolts forward and into the station.

This is the State of the Game.

Even the ships A.I. want to end their misery­.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chalks posted:

Let us know how the charge back goes, most people in here who got their money back did it through refunds so it will be interesting to see how long it takes via the charge back method.

About two weeks lol

Seriously it takes about two weeks from initiating the chargeback to the credit card company making a decision. Takes a few days for cig to get the notice and they have a few more days to respond. May be a bit longer because of the holidays.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dirty Hairy posted:

It hadn't been posted AFAIK. Derek, you should put this chargeback stuff in your OP.

I am actually working on a page specifically for how to get a refund and will host it on my server

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

KiddieGrinder posted:

No true Shitizen.

We don't threaten to kill people

We just know they'll die soon cause of fatness and stress (ben)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Every day I learn more about this game, today is turning on chat

I like it!

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

bumbles posted:

Why is a bloke called Batgirl? It's a guy.. right?.. :niggly:

Male to female trans, but thats not important.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

D_Smart posted:

I am actually working on a page specifically for how to get a refund and will host it on my server

It's not a geocities site or your myspace page, right?

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

peter gabriel posted:

Every day I learn more about this game, today is turning on chat

I like it!

Today was a productive day.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6080375/#Comment_6080375

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6132831/#Comment_6132831

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6131155/#Comment_6131155

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

comatose posted:

Man this really does seem to be the norm lately.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

comatose posted:

Good luck. Let us know how things work out.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Barnsy posted:

Working as intended. Every update or patch you re-download the whole client for fidelity and immersion. The patching infrastructure will be done in two weeks.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bait and Swatch posted:

That is not what I expected.

Well she comes so close melting down at multiple times in that video, it just depicts the constant failure of SC the game whatever it is so perfectly

Lmao off at The landing problems around 17 minutes in

I'll have to watch it again. She's one of CIG's most stalwart and visible supporters, so if she's starting to show frustration and doubt then that's a pretty significant change. CIG considers AC 2.0 to be sufficiently mature to justify marketing as a finished product, splitting the packages into separate games, and of course denying refunds. That's what we're playing. Come to think of it if CIG is going to call AC 2.0 a finished product then that might mean you can request a charge back under the "quality of service or merchandise" complaint. Conveniently enough non-receipt of merchandise or services and quality of service or merchandise are the two dispute categories that Visa will consider for purchases made outside of time limits.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

for maximum immersion i DEMAND to be able to play as a morbidly obese dude with a fedora in a meatwagon who needs to stop every few feet to breathe in my oxygen tank

also i need a "bottom buddy" in my spacetoilet tia

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

for maximum immersion i DEMAND to be able to play as a morbidly obese dude with a fedora in a meatwagon who needs to stop every few feet to breathe in my oxygen tank

also i need a "bottom buddy" in my spacetoilet tia

Had to look up bottom buddy. I wish I were dead.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Knifegrab posted:

Had to look up bottom buddy. I wish I were dead.

don't miss the amazon reviews friend

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'll have to watch it again. She's one of CIG's most stalwart and visible supporters, so if she's starting to show frustration and doubt then that's a pretty significant change. CIG considers AC 2.0 to be sufficiently mature to justify marketing as a finished product, splitting the packages into separate games, and of course denying refunds. That's what we're playing. Come to think of it if CIG is going to call AC 2.0 a finished product then that might mean you can request a charge back under the "quality of service or merchandise" complaint. Conveniently enough non-receipt of merchandise or services and quality of service or merchandise are the two dispute categories that Visa will consider for purchases made outside of time limits.

She hides any doubt well enough, but the frustration is quite evident during the constant barrage of bugs that she has to deal with. The game crashes, then the ship spawns weird, then it shoots her out into space, then it fucks landing, then she's blocked in, then her ship blows up while she's in the space station she traveled to, then she remarks a few times that it was her second attempt to film that space station because of crashing the day prior, then she tries to read the journal entries she traveled there to see and they only said "text goes here" for two of the three. It's just a absolute clusterfuck for the entire video.

Whew. Back to poo poo posting

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
It is pre pre alpha what do you expect this early on?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'll have to watch it again. She's one of CIG's most stalwart and visible supporters, so if she's starting to show frustration and doubt then that's a pretty significant change.
Batgirl's frustrations were temporary-- she was still singing the BDSSE and "from pupil to planet" praises by the end and then did a follow up video which was more of the same.

I mean, she literally can't stop spinning, can't navigate a corridor without getting constantly flipped around, and while she flounders, she says without irony, "Chris' vision is coming together."

So - frustrations aside- she's still very much a believer.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

hakimashou posted:

I downloaded the star citizen to go along with the ship someone gave me.

It runs like garbage even at low. Is there some way to make it not run as bad? I saw hundreds of pages back someone had changes to a cfg file or something.

So far, in the about 40 minutes i could tolerate playing it:

I have 24,000 "UEC" which i gather is a cash shop thing but can't be used to buy ships? What's it for and can I do anything with it?

Is there any way to get access to spawn other ships aside from buying them?

People are reporting no variation in performance whatever setting (low to high) you pick. A GTX from the 900 series and a recent generation I5 + 16mb ram seem to be the minimum to get around 20 FPS. There are reports than most of the CPU load is on a single core. Even streamers with high power rigs (like 2xSLI Titans) are sometime getting below 30 fps.

Many Goons agree there is a good game hiding in there somewhere, but right now its not worth spending anything on it. The big gamble is "Do they have enough funds to finish it in a shape worth 60$?". They did raise 101M, but they started burning it the moment they got hold of the kickstarter money 3 year ago and some source say they are burning trough it a lot faster than they should.

Those UEC are Dream money for when the game comes out. Nobody know how much anything will cost in game so far. This is a big problem for many of us, because if

A) Money is easy to make in game and ships prices are reasonable, the backers who spend 300$ for a ship got fleeced and will be incredibly angry, making RSI loose its best supporters and potential spenders.
or
B) Money is hard to make and the early backers are vindicated, turning this thing into a niche P2W grindfest nobody will touch, making the game infrastructure impossible to maintain on the long run.

A and B can not coexist and Crobberts has no experience in the very delicate art of balancing a MMO economy.

Wait for another player to spawn the ship you want and steal it, they put the spawn terminal 2 cutscenes away from where the ships spawn. Once in command say loudly "I'm the Captain now!" and ram other players.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

Bait and Swatch posted:

She hides any doubt well enough, but the frustration is quite evident during the constant barrage of bugs that she has to deal with. The game crashes, then the ship spawns weird, then it shoots her out into space, then it fucks landing, then she's blocked in, then her ship blows up while she's in the space station she traveled to, then she remarks a few times that it was her second attempt to film that space station because of crashing the day prior, then she tries to read the journal entries she traveled there to see and they only said "text goes here" for two of the three. It's just a absolute clusterfuck for the entire video.

I love how she is enamored with the Pupil to Planet video. Honestly, that video was not mind blowing in any way. Yeah, it looked good for an in engine video - at least until you look closely at it. No one has ever said Star Citizen isn't a visibly pleasing game, but all the fidelity doesn't mean a thing when the game won't run or is filled with the same old same old go here and get this then bring it back fetch quest it seems to have so far.

So many people putting their hopes and dreams into this game like it will have everything they want in every way. That's just not possible. There's going to be a lot of very disappointed people if and when this fully launches. I just hope someone has the foresight to hop into their space news van and capture all the pain on space video.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It does make me wonder what other stuff they'll do to fulfill their promises. I wonder if they could claim Squadron 42 is the dedicated server feature they promised. After all, what is a single player game but a server for you.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bait and Swatch posted:

Man, I couldn't be that calm if I played liquid poo poo like that. In my short LP of Amnios, an old shmup for the Amiga, I encounter a lot of bullshit and start ranting like a mad man basically five minutes after I start playing.

Hell, I made after commentary, which means I had some time inbetween every audio recording to cool down again, but seeing the footage of Amnios made me raging again in no time flat. The last episode is basically just me, cursing endlessly over game footage.

If I were dumb enough to buy into Star Citizen, every video I make would be like a live recording of the final uprising of the Shoggoths, ending in the destruction of the Old Ones.

(Don't worry, I'm not keen on becoming so angry my heart will burst, so this won't happen.)

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

aleksendr posted:

People are reporting no variation in performance whatever setting (low to high) you pick. A GTX from the 900 series and a recent generation I5 + 16mb ram seem to be the minimum to get around 20 FPS. There are reports than most of the CPU load is on a single core. Even streamers with high power rigs (like 2xSLI Titans) are sometime getting below 30 fps.

Many Goons agree there is a good game hiding in there somewhere, but right now its not worth spending anything on it. The big gamble is "Do they have enough funds to finish it in a shape worth 60$?". They did raise 101M, but they started burning it the moment they got hold of the kickstarter money 3 year ago and some source say they are burning trough it a lot faster than they should.

Those UEC are Dream money for when the game comes out. Nobody know how much anything will cost in game so far. This is a big problem for many of us, because if

A) Money is easy to make in game and ships prices are reasonable, the backers who spend 300$ for a ship got fleeced and will be incredibly angry, making RSI loose its best supporters and potential spenders.
or
B) Money is hard to make and the early backers are vindicated, turning this thing into a niche P2W grindfest nobody will touch, making the game infrastructure impossible to maintain on the long run.

A and B can not coexist and Crobberts has no experience in the very delicate art of balancing a MMO economy.

Wait for another player to spawn the ship you want and steal it, they put the spawn terminal 2 cutscenes away from where the ships spawn. Once in command say loudly "I'm the Captain now!" and ram other players.

Yeah, my only interest is in griefing.

The ship someone gave me is an 'm50' and i guess its a race car ship or something, its painted red.

I'm used to the keyboard/mouse controls in Elite, and in elite when you use the mouse for pitch/yaw, the cursor automatically re-centers. In this shitfest, you have to center the mouse manually after using it to steer, and if you dont, the W/A keys for pitch wont work, its like the mouse overrides them if its being used to pitch the ship. It's maddening. There are about 150 options in the control settings, is there something buried in there to fix it?

All of this is pretty academic because i booted it up again and it crashed shortly after i took off.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
GORF already posted it, but this was definitely the best Parp.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

BluestreakBTHR posted:

Have I missed anything interesting?

Have you watched the video of the Crobber failing to understand and play his own game?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Bait and Swatch posted:

She was friendly with the guys in Austin, she had to know some of what was going on. She decided to continue with it anyway this lead to several interviews with Sandi and a weekly interview with :lesnick:, plus a couple of visits.

Her organisation has a lot of whales so I reckon they knew it was worth putting a fair bit of effort into keeping her onside. It wouldn't surprise me if she flips against at some point but it's going to take months more of slow of progress plus having to admit to herself that she was an idiot for spending so much, some people don't mind that while others would rather walk through fire. I suspect she's the former, but given she has a Star Citizen themed show and makes money from it, she'll likely continue to cut them a lot of slack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSKelZzv-nw&t=2632s

Above is from October 2014 and it's interesting to see how much is based on rumour even then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

alphabettitouretti posted:

Have you watched the video of the Crobber failing to understand and play his own game?

Heres a screenshot of it

• Locked thread