Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I'm not so much of a Derek Drone as a Derek Fedaykin Death Commando. Good luck Shitizens you need to have pubes just to get past the outer checkpoints. You aren't even in the compound yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Eonwe posted:

do not under any circumstances play Archeage

This this this

Still better than whatever sc is though

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

In ARK there is a button that will cause your avatar to take a poo poo if it's been long enough since your last poo poo. You can even eat your own poo poo to commit suicide.

I think for immersion Star Citizen should also have a poo poo button.

If you don't poo poo for long enough you'll just poo poo no matter what you're doing.

Star Citizen should add this feature.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Grondoth posted:

If you don't poo poo for long enough you'll just poo poo no matter what you're doing.

Star Citizen should add this feature.

I think it would be really popular since citizens really seem to have a taste for poo poo.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

D_Smart posted:

Said it before and I'll say it again, mock people for being true believer shitizens. Don't mock them for things they can't help. You're literally worse than a Redditor by doing so.

What did I miss? And how is that mocking? He asked a genuine question.
[/quote]

Since I didn't see this answered, she's trans. So he's just saying make fun of them for being an idiot, not for who they are (beyond being an idiot).

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

FrankieGoes posted:

You take that back you bastard.

No, its a correct estimate. If you dont go full sperg on the Base building, use fast travel and dont bother exploring every companion full dialogue tree (only doing the 2-3 you like best) the game is roughly 30-35 hours of content.

It has a lot less (nearly half) quests than vanilla Skyrim had on release and the "voice cross" make conversation flow much faster once you realize you only have 2 dialog options in reality - "Yes" or "No". The 2 other choices being "yes" with details and "yes" with extra snark.

You could make it last you 80-100 hours if you explore everything in detail and collect each little piece of scrap by hand and impose some self challenges like "Only Fists" or "No explosives" but thats voluntary padding your playtime.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

D_Smart posted:

Remember we are :toxx: , so he probably assumed he/she was making fun of her voice by asking a fake question.

Edit : I like the target of my mockery being able to fight back and ridiculed for their own choices/beliefs, not unforeseeable or uncontrollable circumstances genetic lottery forced upon them.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 22, 2015

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

fuctifino posted:

I guess spinning out of control ships is one thing that CryEngine is consistently good at

Cry engine is the go to option if you want some ships with no mass that will start spinning out of control at the slightest touch.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

aleksendr posted:

No, its a correct estimate. If you dont go full sperg on the Base building, use fast travel and dont bother exploring every companion full dialogue tree (only doing the 2-3 you like best) the game is roughly 30-35 hours of content.

It has a lot less (nearly half) quests than vanilla Skyrim had on release and the "voice cross" make conversation flow much faster once you realize you only have 2 dialog options in reality - "Yes" or "No". The 2 other choices being "yes" with details and "yes" with extra snark.

You could make it last you 80-100 hours if you explore everything in detail and collect each little piece of scrap by hand and impose some self challenges like "Only Fists" or "No explosives" but thats voluntary padding your playtime.

Beep Boop optimized gameplay experience must streamline all playthroughs for minimal time consumption

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

hakimashou posted:

I gave up on flying the red rocket ship thing, maybe i will trade it in for something physically larger.

Anyway, i just hung out on pad 10 waiting for someone to spawn one of the big huge ships.

I didnt have to wait long, a big black huge thing spawned, and I remembered my training - get where the elevator comes down!

Some guy ran up and opened the elevator for me so I got in, the elevator retracted into the ship, and once again my training kicked in - Run to the captain's chair!

I made it to the captain's chair before this guy did, and proclaimed "I am the captain here" and "Get off my plane!"

The other person said something about the ship, so i held down the space bar and we rocketed upwards with tremendous speed.

I came to a halt and pitched the ship down, another ship had spawned on one of the pads below. I maxed the acceleration and mashed all the buttons, we lurched forward, and the framrate took a serious hit.

Impact, explosion, mission accomplished!

I respawned in the bed and once again bypassed the ship summoning computer and followed the signs out to pad 10.

After about thirty seconds a large black ship appeared, and I took my position under the elevator. Some person ran up but instead of lowering the elevator for me, he opened the cargo hold. I remembered my training - once someone opens any part of the ship, all the doors unlock! I opened the elevator myself and took it up to the captain's room. I took my position in the chair and ordered the interloper: "get off my plane!"

Once again I depressed the vertical thrust actuator and my huge ship sailed up off the pad, once again I adjusted the pitch so that I could get a clear view of the landing pad. Once again a target appeared. once more into the breech!

This time when the frame rate holocaust struck, the game crashed too.

GOTY

You can also go to any of the points where people have to EVA and play a little Hotel California.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

bumbles posted:

Why is a bloke called Batgirl? It's a guy.. right?.. :niggly:

No. gently caress off

D_Smart posted:

No. gently caress off

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

drat Dirty Ape posted:

In ARK there is a button that will cause your avatar to take a poo poo if it's been long enough since your last poo poo. You can even eat your own poo poo to commit suicide.

I think for immersion Star Citizen should also have a poo poo button.

It does but it's labelled s 'Launch Game'

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

HapiMerchant posted:

Beep Boop optimized gameplay experience must streamline all playthroughs for minimal time consumption

Meh, maybe, but for me its more like :

"Daddy ? Come play with me ? "
"Dear, can you swing by the store real quick, we are out of nappies and i could kill for ice cream?"
"Oh yes boss, i can go to work on Saturday, no problem !"
"Time for the bedtime story. Tonight we are reading the Hobbit, you do the Smaug and Bilbo puppets "
"Lets see if i can start my tax return before going to bed"

so having a game be fun, meaningful (as in it make you think a little with its story and/or puzzle) and pleasant without having to sink 80+ hour in it is actually a benefit.

Except for that poo poo dialog wheel. That i could have done without.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

aleksendr posted:

Remember we are :toxx: , so he probably assumed he/she was making fun of her voice by asking a fake question.

Edit : I like the target of my mockery being able to fight back and ridiculed for their own choices/beliefs, not unforeseeable or uncontrollable circumstances genetic lottery forced upon them.

I never posted that excerpt. Learn to quote correctly.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

fuctifino posted:

How dreams are made:

Why does his mouth move like it was a Jim Henson puppet? C'mon Chris — I know there are other muscles in the face than the ones that cause the jaw to flap up and down. Please use them.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

FatherChristmas posted:

hahaha it's funny as hell to see him admit something that Smart was telling them repeatedly.

15-06-06 (my first Star Citizen blog)

http://www.dereksmart.org/2015/07/interstellar-citizens/

quote:

The RSI devs have all the same insurmountable problems that I have encountered over two decades of chasing this whale, and which have not only led to their delays, but also the recent announcement that the first person module was on hold came as no surprise to me.

I have it on good authority that it’s not even on hold, but that they’re probably not going to finish it both because it won’t work within the current framework and it wasn’t in the original design as spec’ed, since it has ballooned to what it is today. So naturally, it’s the first thing to go, or put on indefinite hold while they figure things out.

Remember: the game, first and foremost, is a space combat game, not a first person combat game.

quote:

Right from the start in 2012 when they said that they were using CryEngine3 as their baseline, I was skeptical. But if they kept the scope, and scene sizes manageable, I felt that it was totally doable.

Once the feature creep and increased scope started to unfold, I knew they were in trouble.

Remember what I said earlier that there is no game engine on the planet that would power the game I wanted to build, and that I’d have to build it? Yes, same thing here. That is precisely why all the top-tier developers build their game engines around the game they’re making. And even those who end up licensing middleware game engines do so based on the fact that they are making a game that fits within the framework of the engine they’re licensing. Nobody is going to license UE4 to develop a flight sim.

That CE3 engine is, first and foremost, a first-person engine. Second, it is geared toward small scale session-based games. Now imagine using a level-based engine, suited for first-person games, and trying to build an open persistent world with it. That’s like me trying to outfit my Tesla with the engine from a Prius. Bad things can and will happen.

The anatomy of the lies: http://www.dereksmart.org/forums/topic/general-discussions/#post-2106

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

hakimashou posted:

That's the thing, there is another bigger ship i could 'upgrade' this one to but its 10$ more that i'd have to pay. Which is a deal breaker.

Anyway stealing other people's poo poo and using it to ram seems superior to just ramming with your own poo poo.

It sure would be nice if the game wasn't unplayably janky most of the time and crashed :(

There are some people on the brown sea running xmas giveaways so i'm entering those and maybe can win something for free.

Can people gift/transfer store credit? Does it count toward the cost in the 'upgrade' screen?

They can gift you things like ships, hangar items and gift cards in which you can melt them to become store credits and use it for upgrades

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Tippis posted:

Why does his mouth move like it was a Jim Henson puppet? C'mon Chris — I know there are other muscles in the face than the ones that cause the jaw to flap up and down. Please use them.

This explains so much about the lovely mo-cap.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

By the way I saw Star Wars and the guy from Star Citizen has a cameo at the end.

Mark Oldman(?) I think

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I have been enjoying the steady stream of confused newcomers on r/starcitizen who have bought in because of recent marketing and had no idea it's a completely janked to hell disaster until they tried to boot it up. Alot of "why does this game keep crashing??" "I have a good rig...what's with the fps?" and "where is the content?..."

Then they get eaten alive by zealots.

this will not end well.

A Neurotic Jew fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 22, 2015

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Amarcarts posted:

By the way I saw Star Wars and the guy from Star Citizen has a cameo at the end.

Mark Oldman(?) I think

Wait I thought you are referring to Sandi Gardiner Roberts who played Chewbacca the pubeless wookie

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

EminusSleepus posted:

Wait I thought you are referring to Sandi Gardiner Roberts who played Chewbacca the pubeless wookie

She was Lord Snoke. Apparently they only had to do minor touch ups with make up.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I don't know why they didn't end up going with Unreal engine 3. It was the de facto middleware engine, was used in a heap of games, and would have a good amount of support available. Going with Cryengine is some bone-headed console wars-esq move. The sprites look sharper and more realistic on the genesis, and it's got that blast processing. gently caress the industry standard, i'm going with the cool underdog. PAAAARP

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Can I tweak the game to run it better on a laptop? self.starcitizen
Submitted a minute ago by PinchoEscobar

So I currently have a MSI laptop.
Intel I7 Nvidia 660M 16 gigs 1600MHz RAM SSD

I know its not even close to ideal for this game, but I'm waiting(painfully) to upgrade when the game and technology have come further. Currently the game runs, but VERY laggy, often it crashes after a few mins (I know it happens to everyone) and I'm sure it messes with people around me as well. I've got the in-game settings as low as they go but I'm hoping someone has tweaks to improve how it runs.

Signed -The guy usually stuck in the floor at the ship terminal.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
So does PAAARP represent:

This?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjVY3oM1jEU

or THIS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQJcObz1k_E

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

fuctifino posted:

Can I tweak the game to run it better on a laptop? self.starcitizen
Submitted a minute ago by PinchoEscobar

So I currently have a MSI laptop.
Intel I7 Nvidia 660M 16 gigs 1600MHz RAM SSD

I know its not even close to ideal for this game, but I'm waiting(painfully) to upgrade when the game and technology have come further. Currently the game runs, but VERY laggy, often it crashes after a few mins (I know it happens to everyone) and I'm sure it messes with people around me as well. I've got the in-game settings as low as they go but I'm hoping someone has tweaks to improve how it runs.

Signed -The guy usually stuck in the floor at the ship terminal.

:omarcomin:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Nope. This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVHJ6OwTYWc

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

the second one

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Tokamak posted:

I don't know why they didn't end up going with Unreal engine 3. It was the de facto middleware engine, was used in a heap of games, and would have a good amount of support available. Going with Cryengine is some bone-headed console wars-esq move. The sprites look sharper and more realistic on the genesis, and it's got that blast processing. gently caress the industry standard, i'm going with the cool underdog. PAAAARP

Hell, if we flat out assume that CRobber was lying in the pitch video about how much work they had already done at that point (and tbh, I'm fairly convinced he was), UE4 would have been available as a viable option. It was demo:ed at CDG 2012 and released in early 2014, and looking at how quickly even some tiny dev houses have been able to upgrade from UE3 to UE4, it doesn't seem like much of a stretch to suggest that CIG could have started in one with the aim to finish in the other.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Tippis posted:

Hell, if we flat out assume that CRobber was lying in the pitch video about how much work they had already done at that point (and tbh, I'm fairly convinced he was), UE4 would have been available as a viable option. It was demo:ed at CDG 2012 and released in early 2014, and looking at how quickly even some tiny dev houses have been able to upgrade from UE3 to UE4, it doesn't seem like much of a stretch to suggest that CIG could have started in one with the aim to finish in the other.

Crytek did their entire demo showreel for them as part of the deal. That's the reason why CR chose Crytek.

Choosing UE4 would have meant that Chris would have had to do some actual work and stuff... and he's far too busy doing movies or something.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

comatose posted:

She was Lord Snoke. Apparently they only had to do minor touch ups with make up.

She even had a photo with the new Mace Windu character

Sorry spoiler

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I have been enjoying the steady stream of confused newcomers on r/starcitizen who have bought in because of recent marketing and had no idea it's a completely janked to hell disaster until they tried to boot it up. Alot of "why does this game keep crashing??" "I have a good rig...what's with the fps?" and "where is the content?..."

Then they get eaten alive by zealots.

this will not end well.

Yeah, my researcher has been keeping on top of that and we were just discussing it earlier this afternoon. Sad really.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

fuctifino posted:

Crytek did their entire demo showreel for them as part of the deal. That's the reason why CR chose Crytek.

Choosing UE4 would have meant that Chris would have had to do some actual work and stuff... and he's far too busy doing movies or something.

Good point. Well, stupid point, really, but it works as rational explanation at least.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Meanwhile the Chris Roberts of actual Space actually succeeded in landing his SpaceX rocket.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/12/21/news/companies/spacex-launch-rocket-landing/

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I wonder if there was anyone internally who told Chris why Crytek was a bad idea from the start. and I wonder how long that person lasted.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ravane posted:

Meanwhile the Chris Roberts of actual Space actually succeeded in landing his SpaceX rocket.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/12/21/news/companies/spacex-launch-rocket-landing/

Notice that at no point was he traveling faster than the explosion.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Libluini posted:

Are there actually games where female characters have advantages over male ones? This sounds like some mythical feminist video game that doesn't actually exist.

The only one that springs to mind is Fallout Tactics. A woman can get up from being knocked down to the ground a little bit quicker than a man can, but the only time that really matters if you're playing multiplayer and want to avoid being locked into a cycle of getting hit, standing up, and getting hit before you can raise your gun to return fire.

But then, if you're playing Fallout Tactics multiplayer, you've probably used a time machine to travel back to a point in history where Gamespy was useful and vaguely cool. In which case you'll have much more of a pressing concerns than the difference between men and women in a game. Like preventing 9/11.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yes.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Fallout 3/New Vegas also had a very slight advantage for females, simply because there was a charisma perk that worked on the opposite sex and there are more men in the game. Haven't played 4 so I don't know if it's still like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3xsfm5/so_roberts_described_how_he_will_he_deal_with/

• Locked thread