Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The "unique" mechanics from the first two games were also cribbed from other stuff.

well

yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Fast Racing Neo is pretty cool.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It is a remake, go compare the original game to the 3DS version.

The US version was and still is $30. Even the Japanese version doesn't cost that much anymore.

Yeah, having played through it a couple of times now the weird Psycho shot-for-shot remakiness of it confused me. Unfortunately I think I'd have to say I preferred the original game, the sprites in the remake are more detailed but smaller which also extends the bosses, some of which have been completely redesigned and are much less interesting to look at (the first boss, which was a train with a huge cannon on the back and an engine that looked something like a Nazi designed bullet train, now looks just like, uh, a normal steam train). This extends to rest of the graphics which are very brown and drab looking, the remixed music is pretty meh too.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Some of the sprites/patters are taken from the GBA version, I think, which is why they feel like they were meant for a smaller screen.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Fix posted:

Fast Racing Neo is pretty cool.

Yeah it is, and getting some updates I'll appreciate, according to the Wii U thread.

Rexroom posted:

Fast Racing Neo is getting an update in January that includes a mini map during races, "online tags" and some other stuff. Also, the game will be released in Japan next week.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Fast Racing Neo is from Shin'en, the guys behind Nanostray and Art of Balance and a bunch of other cool exclusive Nintendo-hardware games. If you have played any of them you know they are quality stuff.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Got Kirby's Nightmare In Dreamland for the GBA on the VC. I'd played Kirby's Adventure back when it came out 22 years ago and wanted to experience it again without the NES-ness of the original and this was a great solution. Beat it in about 3 hours, but to be honest, I want that in a game these days.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
I played Pirate's Curse as my first Shantae game and really don't see the allure. The powerups were admittedly pretty cool, but the levels were wide open with few to no interesting features, and the physics of the game feel like an awkward mix between Metroidvania and standard platformers. Level design was particularly awful in certain areas: there's one stretch where you're using the cutlass power to rush through several screens, then on the final screen will drop you down to a section of the level roughly 5 minutes prior if you don't make a sudden jump whose timing is messed up by the transition between screens.

The titty anime art has been pointed out, but even beyond that I didn't feel like there were any characters that I'll remember in two months' time. Overall it just reminds me way more of a Flash game on Newgrounds than a 3DS title, especially given all the great platformers on the system it's contending against.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I guess ill pick up fast racing, seems so weird this isn't a new f zero title. I know id have already downloaded it if jt was...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of December 24):

quote:

WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Kung Fu Fight - €1.99 / £1.49
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Super Mario 64 DS (DS) - €9.99 / £8.99
    Super Mario RPG (SNES) - €7.99 / £5.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Citizens of Earth (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.00 until December 24
    Another World - 20th Anniversary Edition (Wii U eShop) - €3.99 / £3.59 until December 24
    Wicked Monsters Blast! HD PLUS (Wii U eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 until December 31
    Ducktales Remastered (Wii U) - €5.99 / £4.79 until December 31
    Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (Wii U eShop) - €5.24 / £4.19 until December 31
    Extreme Exorcism (Wii U eShop) - €9.99 / £7.99 until December 31
    Lone Survivor: Directors' Cut (Wii U eShop) - €1.99 / £1.99 until December 31
    Momonga Pinball Adventures (Wii U eShop) - €2.99 / £2.50 until December 31
    Never Alone (Kisima Ingitchuna) (Wii U eShop) - €5.99 / £5.19 until December 31
    Nova-111 (Wii U eShop) - €3.99 / £3.50 until December 31
    OlliOlli (Wii U eShop) - €3.39 / £2.49 until December 31
    Pumped BMX + (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £3.99 until December 31
    Stealth Inc 2: A Game of Clones (Wii U eShop) - €1.99 / £1.59 until December 31
    Swords & Soldiers 2 (Wii U eShop) - €12.99 / £11.89 until December 31
    The Swapper (Wii U eShop) - €2.99 / £1.99 until December 31
    The Swindle (Wii U eShop) - €2.99 / £1.99 until December 31
    Thomas Was Alone (Wii U eShop) - €1.50 / £1.25 until December 31
    Trine 2 (Wii U eShop) - €8.49 / £6.99 until December 31
    Trine Enchanted Edition (Wii U eShop) - €6.49 / £5.49 until December 31
    Human Resources Machine (Wii U eShop) - €7.99 / £6.99 from December 24-31
    Armillo (Wii U eShop) - €3.69 / £2.99 until January 1
    Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until January 6
    Mighty Switch Force! 2 (Wii U eShop) - €2.50 / £2.50 until January 6
    Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (Wii U eShop) - €8.49 / £7.99 until January 6
    Art of Balance (Wii U eShop) - €6.70 / £5.35 until January 7
    Darksiders 2 (Wii U) - €12.49 / £9.99 from December 24-January 7
    Legend of Kay Anniversary (Wii U) - €7.49 / £4.99 from December 24-January 7
    Electronic Super Joy (Wii U) - €6.99 / £5.99 from December 24-January 7
    Roving Rogue (Wii U) - €3.99 / £3.59 from December 24-January 7
    Spin The Bottle: Bumpie's Party (Wii U) - €3.99 / £9399 from December 24-January 7
    Tengami (Wii U) - €3.99 / £3.49 from December 24-January 10

3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Japanese Rail Sim 3D Journey to Kyoto - €1.00 / £1.00 until January 7, standard price €14.99 / £11.99
    Ocean Runner - €2.99 / £2.69
3DS MENU THEMES (December 11)
    Pokιmon: Pokι Crests & Kokeshi Dolls - €1.99 / £1.79
    Pokιmon: Peeking Pokιmon Friends - €1.99 / £1.79
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Rytmik Ultimate - €9.99 / £8.99 for owners of The Keep until December 24
    Shin Megami Tensei 4 (3DS eShop) - €9.99 / £7.40 until December 24
    Citizens of Earth (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.00 until December 24
    Steamworld Heist - €16.99 / £11.99 with free menu theme until December 31
    Aeternoblade (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.50 until December 31
    Football Up Online (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.79 until December 31
    Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (3DS eShop) - €19.49 / £16.29 until December 31
    Ace Attorney Trilogy (3DS eShop) - €11.24 / £8.99 until December 31
    Super Street Fighter 4 3D (3DS) - €7.99 / £7.19 until December 31
    Heart Beaten (3DS eShop) - €2.33 / £2.00 or €1.09 / £1.00 if you downloaded Space Lift Danger Panic until December 31
    Space Lift Danger Panic (3DS eShop) - €1.65 / £1.29 or €0.80 / £0.65 if you downloaded Space Lift Danger Panic until December 31
    Code of Princess (3DS eShop) - €14.95 / £12.49 until December 31
    Sayonara Umihara Kawase (3DS eShop) - €12.40 / £9.99 until December 31
    Proun+ (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.50 until January 4
    Sumico (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.67 until January 4
    Mighty Switch Force! (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 until January 6
    Mighty Switch Force! 2 (3DS eShop) - €2.50 / £2.50 until January 6
    Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (3DS eShop) - €8.49 / £7.99 until January 6
    Lords of Magna (3DS) - €20.99 / £17.49 from December 24-January 6
    Fractured Soul (3DS eShop) - €1.59 / £1.39 until January 7
    Legend of Dark Witch (3DS eShop) - €2.79 / £2.19 until January 7
    Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (3DS) - €22.49 / £19.99 from December 24-January 7
    KORG DSN-12 (3DS eShop) - €14.99 / £12.49 from December 24-January 7
    KORG M01D (3DS eShop) - €12.49 / £9.99 from December 24-January 7
    Conception 2: Children of the Seven Stars (3DS eShop) - €9.99 / £7.40 from December 24-January 7
    SMT Devil Survivor Overclocked (3DS) - €11.99 / £9.99 from December 24-January 7
    Virtue's Last Reward (3DS) - €12.49 / £9.99 from December 24-January 7
    Hakuoki; Memories of the Shinsengumi (3DS) - €11.99 / £11.99 from December 24-January 7
    BIT.TRIP Saga (3DS) - €4.99 / £4.49 from December 24-January 7
    Harvest Moon: Tale of Two Towns (3DS) - €9.99 / £8.99 from December 24-January 7
    Crash City Mayhem (3DS) - €7.99 / £6.99 from December 24-January 7
    Hometown Story (3DS) - €7.49 / £7.49 from December 24-January 7
    Zombie Panic in Wonderland DX (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until January 9
    Fairune (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.59 from December 24-January 7
    Swords & Soldiers 3D (3DS eSjop) - €3.99 / £3.29 from December 24-January 14
    Rage of the Gladiator (3DS eShop) - €3.49 / £3.09 until January 15

Merry xmas, lovers of bad Mario games!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

PAL update (week of December 24):

Merry xmas, lovers of bad Mario games!

And good ones! Mario RPG is in there.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

jivjov posted:

And good ones! Mario RPG is in there.

I hope this hits the US soon. Super Mario RPG was one of my faves in like middle school. I think that was the first JRPG that I actually finished, followed shortly after by Chrono Trigger.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

deadly_pudding posted:

I hope this hits the US soon. Super Mario RPG was one of my faves in like middle school. I think that was the first JRPG that I actually finished, followed shortly after by Chrono Trigger.
It's on the Wii VC, the only drawback is that you can't play it on the Gamepad without a Wiimote/Classic Controller.

You also have to buy Wii Shop Points, which I guess is another drawback.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

irlZaphod posted:

It's on the Wii VC, the only drawback is that you can't play it on the Gamepad without a Wiimote/Classic Controller.

You also have to buy Wii Shop Points, which I guess is another drawback.

Yeah it's 800 points but you can only buy in blocks of 1000 ha-ha.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

"Japanese Rail Sim 3D Journey to Kyoto - €1.00 / £1.00 until January 7, standard price €14.99 / £11.99"

What?
Wait, is it an FMV game?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

greatn posted:

Yeah, no. I'll wait for it to hit the US Wii U store. I got other games to play, anyway.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

"Japanese Rail Sim 3D Journey to Kyoto - €1.00 / £1.00 until January 7, standard price €14.99 / £11.99"

What?
Wait, is it an FMV game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzZW_E7zeXg

Apparently it's a really simple train simulator (with about 30 minutes of content) I read it's basically a video converted to 3D rather than an actual sim

I guess it's more of an experience or something I guess

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

Yeah, no. I'll wait for it to hit the US Wii U store. I got other games to play, anyway.

You might be waiting a long time as Square Enix has yet to release any of their games on the US Wii U store.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

FanaticalMilk posted:

You might be waiting a long time as Square Enix has yet to release any of their games on the US Wii U store.

They are also yet to release any of them in Europe, but this week they finally are, so I think there's a crack in the dike.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Doesn't matter, we still haven't got a lot of games EU got on their eShop like Metroid Zero Mission. Unless Nintendo does a big "it's Christmas Eve, here is a bunch of AAA games", we probably getting some random D-list GBA/SNES game again this week.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
SMRPG is also the one SNES game Squenix can't publish on mobile.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

What?
Wait, is it an FMV game?
Well I think FMV is a little generous, but it has a bunch of super low res photographs that it tweens through. Plays like Densha de Go or Railfan or whatever.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

greatn posted:

You can buy for the exact price on Amazon.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Japan's getting SMB3 GBA on the Wii U VC next week... complete with eReader levels! M2's so much better than you!

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/titles/20010000008346

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
That's fantastic, I never imagined those to be rereleased anywhere.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

with every other country getting great poo poo in the next 2 weeks I can't imagine what garbage will be dropped for NA, as par for the course

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hey we got Mega Man zero 4 last week, that's maybe the last great Mega Man game.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

MinibarMatchman posted:

with every other country getting great poo poo in the next 2 weeks I can't imagine what garbage will be dropped for NA, as par for the course

Stop trying to shatter my Mario RPG dreams :qq:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Noitu Love Devolution has been announced for Wii U and 3DS, it'll be out early next year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBemwCYJGxc

quote:

Yes, the game you heard about from me 100 times by now is finally coming to more fitting platforms. It was going to be on Wiiware a long time ago, but that developer relationship went south. MP2 Games - who’s doing the port - is already far along, and it’s going to be out in not too long! Quarter 1 is the word right now.

It’ll be the game as you knew it, but with new control methods that some people wanted for eight years *nervous breakdown* now. Hope it excites you! And tell your friends who don’t know the game too, please! That’s the word for now, with as many regions as we’re currently able.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Noitu Love Devolution has been announced for Wii U and 3DS, it'll be out early next year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBemwCYJGxc

Noitu Love is rad as hell and everyone should play it. This is fantastic news.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Japan's getting SMB3 GBA on the Wii U VC next week... complete with eReader levels! M2's so much better than you!

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/titles/20010000008346

Last time I remember you couldn't fit all the levels on at one time so you have to rescan them if you wanted to play a level that was taken off the playable list. Also what of the P Switch Powers and the Super Mario World Cape, will they get a switch toggle on the menu screen? Also wonder if Pal will even get it since the never had the e-Reader.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jarogue posted:

Last time I remember you couldn't fit all the levels on at one time so you have to rescan them if you wanted to play a level that was taken off the playable list. Also what of the P Switch Powers and the Super Mario World Cape, will they get a switch toggle on the menu screen? Also wonder if Pal will even get it since the never had the e-Reader.

Uh, yeah we did. They had cards and the e-Reader everywhere in Australia.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

OK it said "This feature is normally absent in the European version of the game" and not all of Pal. Been a while since I read about the Mario 3 e-Reader Card

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SelenicMartian posted:

What?
Wait, is it an FMV game?

Yeah pretty much. There's a demo if you're curious.

It seems pretty chill.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Jarogue posted:

EU/the UK never got it (Australia apparently did) but the code was still there in the game and it was even translated into the other European languages.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

OBSCURE PERIPHERAL RELEASE MAP: EXTREMELYYYYYYY FACT-CHECKED!!!!!! /guitar riffs/////

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
I never could play Super Mario 64 DS because I hated the control scheme so much. Any chance they changed it on the VC version? I'm guessing not.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

AccountingNightmare posted:

I never could play Super Mario 64 DS because I hated the control scheme so much. Any chance they changed it on the VC version? I'm guessing not.

Nah, I can't imagine they would. At the very least, it shouldn't feel as awkward to play with an actual analog stick?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AccountingNightmare posted:

The only change might be that they allow you to use an analog stick. This helped the DS version a lot on the 3DS so maybe it'll sit better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
Ahhh I'd forgotten how the controls worked. I just remembered using the touch screen as a makeshift analog stick. I forgot you could also use the D-pad. I should try it on my 3DS and see if the circle pad helps (I know it'll still only have 8-directional movement).