Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Lemon Curdistan posted:

According to Gematsu, "Ys VIII starts when Adol is washed ashore a cursed island," which I feel at this point in the series is hardly worth noting. :v:

I feel like there's an outtake of a VA noting his boatslaying properties.

e: Yep, narrator 2

Wonderslug fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Wonderslug posted:

These outtakes are hilarious.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i am excited to play the surely epic follow up to the greatest jrpg of all time tomorrow, everyone

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

anyone who posts "i didn't know [random jrpg] was getting a sequel" will be savagely slain

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Cake Attack posted:

anyone who posts "i didn't know [random jrpg] was getting a sequel" will be savagely slain

I didn't know Terranigma was getting a sequel.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Finally, Skyrim 2

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Wonderslug posted:

I'm loving dead at all of these.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Cake Attack posted:

i am excited to play the surely epic follow up to the greatest jrpg of all time tomorrow, everyone

THERE'S A FOLLOW UP TO SKIES OF ARCADIA?! HOLY poo poo WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME?!

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Wonderslug posted:

I like how a good half of these are jokes about Adol/Dogi sexual tension

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Some Numbers posted:

THERE'S A FOLLOW UP TO SKIES OF ARCADIA?! HOLY poo poo WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME?!

Valkyria Chronicles came out. It came out again on steam too. Anime World War II is a hell of a thing.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

havenwaters posted:

Valkyria Chronicles came out. It came out again on steam too. Anime World War II is a hell of a thing.

Oh, I know. I own it and Vyse and Aika are part of my team.

It's not really the same thing though.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

They're making a successor to Chrono Trigger!?

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
So having had a look around it turns out that by living in the arse end of the world Cold Steel only comes out early February. RIP my hopes and dreams for more Trails.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm to going to want to have finished SC before I start Cold Steel or are they mostly unconnected apart from being in the same world?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm to going to want to have finished SC before I start Cold Steel or are they mostly unconnected apart from being in the same world?

All the Trails games are connected, but an earlier XSeed blog said that Falcom stressed that they wanted the games to be simultaneously connected but accessible. So you'd have a greater understanding of the world if you'd played every previously released game before playing Cold Steel, but CS itself is still a valid point to enter or skip to. Anybody who doesn't speak Japanese isn't getting the full experience on that front anyway.

Plus if there's any Trails games that Cold Steel's directly tied to it's Zero and Azure, and who knows if/when we're going to get to play those.

quote:

Aren’t there a few games that come before Trails of Cold Steel? What’s up with that?

Let’s get this out of the way: I am absolutely thrilled we’re continuing the Trails series in the West. It quickly became one of my favorite series along with Ys, and I absorb all information relating to it much like how a northern clingfish clings to rocks. Look up northern clingfish videos, by the way; they’re really cool.

When Falcom approached us with interest in seeing the game localized (and yes, they came to us), I naturally was all for it. But like most fans, I worried because of the two games that preceded it—Zero no Kiseki and Ao no Kiseki (which I will henceforth be calling Trails to Zero and Trails to Azure, though those should not be considered final or official names)—because they have some events in them that seem to tie in with Cold Steel directly. Is it okay to publish the series out of “order”? If we do take on Cold Steel, will people be missing out on some critical information by not playing Zero and Azure first?

I was fortunate enough to be able to express this worry in person to the president of Falcom, Toshihiro Kondo; I was also just as relieved by his response. Immediately, he responded: “Actually, this is kind of intentional. We wanted Cold Steel and Zero/Azure to be playable in any order because we noticed that, with Cold Steel, the demographic suddenly became younger. Many new fans of the series were going back to the old games.”

Essentially, their goal for Cold Steel was not only to continue developing the incredibly deep lore behind the Zemurian continent, but to do it in such a way that would both please longtime fans and help new fans feel right at home. Rest easy knowing that you can canonically play Cold Steel before Zero/Azure—you’ll simply be getting a different perspective on events, seeing things in an order that differs from what Japanese players experienced, but is still confirmed by one of the Trails creators to be A-OK and even pretty much as intended.

And, hey, while I’m all about encouraging people to play Trails in the Sky first, you could start with Trails of Cold Steel and then go back to the Sky series if you so desired; you’d just be enjoying a whole different set of Easter eggs. I absolutely adore the ridiculous amounts of detail this series manages to put out without completely shutting out a curious new audience at the same time, and apparently Falcom does, too.

Motto fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 22, 2015

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Finishing SC before playing Cold Steel will add to your understanding of it, however, since one particular late-game development in SC is pretty relevant to Cold Steel.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Wonderslug posted:

http://www.worldofys.com/ysf/audio/Outtakes/Adol-Narrator_Outtake_3.mp3

:allears:

e; vv :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 22, 2015

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Apparently it's the only ship Adol can't wreck. :rimshot:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Golden Sun is getting another game?!

http://www.worldofys.com/ysf/audio/Outtakes/Elena_Outtake_1.mp3

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

So I pre-ordered the Lionheart edition for Vita on Amazon, it's telling me it still hasn't shipped and the product page says that they are out of stock. I guess I'm not getting it before the end of the year :smith:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

those ys outtakes cant compete with the best dub blooper

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Finishing SC before playing Cold Steel will add to your understanding of it, however, since one particular late-game development in SC is pretty relevant to Cold Steel.

Ugh. How big a spoiler is this? I have a review copy of ToCS I need to handle but I haven't had time to finish SC yet. I might be able to buckle down I guess.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
My Cold Steel order from amazon.ca says it will arrive on the 29th but according to Canada Post I will have it tomorrow.

I'm happy.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Ugh. How big a spoiler is this? I have a review copy of ToCS I need to handle but I haven't had time to finish SC yet. I might be able to buckle down I guess.

It's a pretty obvious one tbh I'd guessed it during FC

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

It's a pretty obvious one tbh I'd guessed it during FC

It is something Oliver-related then? Because if so I'm pretty sure I know what you mean.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It is something Oliver-related then? Because if so I'm pretty sure I know what you mean.

Yeah you've probably guessed it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

Yeah you've probably guessed it

Yyyeah, I got that one basically from the moment he showed up. Alright, that's cool then, thanks!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I also think there's an in game glossary or books or something that summarize previous events but you can just not read those

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Oh neat, a color manual.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I recall some were concerned about spoilers in the artbook, but it's clearly divided into two sections by a big warning strongly recommending that you finish Cold Steel I before proceeding.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

So I decided to actually play Ys 7 after buying it 6ish months ago, is there anything I should know about the game specifically or do the ingame tutorials cover all the important stuff?

For reference I just got the archer lady and I'm going to some desert village.

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
My copy should arrive tomorrow.
I'm looking forward to seeing the Imperial bestsellers like Christ, Who's gonnna die first? and Woo Baby.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Huh, just got my Best Buy SE order. Except I apparently clicked on Vita version instead of PS3. Hmm... not sure if I should exchange it. Are there any issues with Vita versions?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oblomov posted:

Huh, just got my Best Buy SE order. Except I apparently clicked on Vita version instead of PS3. Hmm... not sure if I should exchange it. Are there any issues with Vita versions?

Worse loading times seems to be the extent of it

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Caustic Chimera posted:

My copy should arrive tomorrow.
I'm looking forward to seeing the Imperial bestsellers like Christ, Who's gonnna die first? and Woo Baby.

These sound like hot garbage, but drat, i'd be all over that Falcom Diary

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Cake Attack posted:

Worse loading times seems to be the extent of it

Well, unless they are SE SNES PS1 ports bad, should be ok.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

for those interested here is the next translation of one of the star doors from 3rd, this time focusing on North Ambria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vUPSlbVm3s

featuring the revelation that you literally kill weissmann with the same thing that made him an orphan. lol

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 23, 2015

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Start Trails of Cold Steel

There's no cutscene skip.

UGH, LoH games need cutscene skip more than Final Fantasy X.

I'm getting Valkyria Chronoicles 2 vibes: Military Academy, ragtag group of misfits, most girls have giant boobs with boob groping scene 15 minutes into the game, gggrrrr Nobles vs. Commoners gggrrr.

What a difference having a main character who is not as retarded as Alan was in VC2. I can enjoy this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

did somebody mention where this Dreichels dude raised his army at some point, because I completely missed it and now I'm being quizzed on it :saddowns: