Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sash! posted:

Yeah, we're the ones that made it an abomination, not the group that decided "-ough" is somehow "-ow;" crammed a silent u into everything that ends with "-or;" and gave the world "masheen," "kernal," and "Wensday."

Oh wait sorry I mean machine, colonel, and Wednesday.

so we're blaming the French and Germans again

if you want to have fun, consider that Wednesday is a corruption of Odin's Day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mister Kingdom posted:

Wait, let me go change my tyre.

That's not a good comparison. I could understand "pijamas" but "pajamas" is just really weird.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

PT6A posted:

That's not a good comparison. I could understand "pijamas" but "pajamas" is just really weird.

Does anyone pronounce it PIE-jahmas?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ayn rand hand job posted:

so we're blaming the French and Germans again

if you want to have fun, consider that Wednesday is a corruption of Odin's Day

English has had plenty of time to spell words right, so its entirely on their shoulders :colbert:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mister Kingdom posted:

Does anyone pronounce it PIE-jahmas?

Short i, not long i. An "a" sound there, long or short, would be very strange.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

PT6A posted:

I hear it pronounced "puh-jahmas".

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Okay is there one female vocalist doing all the song covers now? There's one voice I keep hearing, it's not bad but it's very distinct.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ6pv4OMfg8

Every singer in this is off-key or off-beat in a different way. It's so grating and it's on all the time.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

PT6A posted:

All our un-stressed vowel sounds tend towards "uh", so it becomes that generic filler sound instead of any kind of "a" sound like in cat or ate.

puh-jah-muhs or puh-jam-uhs (if you're a weirdo).

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ayn rand hand job posted:

Its some kernkraft production that ended up in a stock music library

edit: the actual answer is "its a tie", since KITH made it in Fall '93, and as far as I can remember, Harlem Heat has always had always used the song since their debut in Late Summer/Fall '93.

I should go find the one time that Booker couldn't use it because he lost the use of all Harlem Heat IP after Stevie Ray somehow won it and started teaming with Big T.

It's a mash-up of two Kraftwerk songs (Musique Non Stop and Sex Object). Both came out in 1986. KITH have sampled Kraftwerk before, IIRC.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

No. 9 posted:

It's a mash-up of two Kraftwerk songs (Musique Non Stop and Sex Object). Both came out in 1986. KITH have sampled Kraftwerk before, IIRC.

It isn't really a case of just sampling though. The KITH track and Harlem Heat theme are identical.

KOTH is Canadian, and WCW was a wrestling promotion headquartered in Atlanta, GA.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

OneTruePecos posted:

puh-jah-muhs or puh-jam-uhs (if you're a weirdo).

What's a bit odd is, in the area I grew up, people said it both ways. Sometimes in the same sentence. It was vexing. "Route" did the same thing. It could sound either way depending on what just happened to fall out of your mouth. I've noticed I have a contextual shift in the pronunciation. I'll say "rout" for a road name (Route 19) and "root" for a course of travel. I suspect it comes from the alliteration of saying something is "out on Route X."

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
All of the Star Wars-related advertising is really bumming me out because it's all some variation of "You're old and you life sucks and is boring now, but when you were a kid Star Wars made you happy and you can recapture some of that magic with [product]"

Especially the ones about parents pushing Star Wars on their kids because they liked it themselves when they were kids.

computer parts posted:

Classic example of market segmentation. A nice side effect of this is that sometimes the equivalent product is much cheaper than the one you're "supposed" to get, so as long as you don't mind floral designs you can save a bunch of money on an identical product.

Also the entire "man cave" phenomena, which has basically become an excuse to sell interior decorating stuff to men at mark-up.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Sash! posted:

What's a bit odd is, in the area I grew up, people said it both ways. Sometimes in the same sentence. It was vexing. "Route" did the same thing. It could sound either way depending on what just happened to fall out of your mouth. I've noticed I have a contextual shift in the pronunciation. I'll say "rout" for a road name (Route 19) and "root" for a course of travel. I suspect it comes from the alliteration of saying something is "out on Route X."

Same here (central NC), but at the same time no one would ever pronounce "router" as rooter.

^^^^ The Star Wars marketing saturation is itself a blast of nostalgia; I keep waiting for Burger King to announce a line of collectible cups or something.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

OneTruePecos posted:

I keep waiting for Burger King to announce a line of collectible cups or something.

No it's Subway this time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRvs4a5ak44

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

This monstrosity just popped up on Hulu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpJVUa1JCdo

Canned Panda fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 21, 2015

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Canned Panda posted:

This monstrosity just popped up on Hulu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpJVUa1JCdo

at least it's short

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Pierce and Pierce posted:

Seriously, gently caress whoever came up with the Geico Peter Pan commercial
What is wrong with that commercial, I truly do not get it. Is it that Peter's annoying? Because Peter Pan is supposed to be an obnoxious little dickbag, he is literally perpetually 12.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

CapnAndy posted:

What is wrong with that commercial, I truly do not get it. Is it that Peter's annoying? Because Peter Pan is supposed to be an obnoxious little dickbag, he is literally perpetually 12.

Yeah, even in the Disney movie he's a dick, he's even worse in the book and in that old Fox cartoon nobody but me remembers.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

raditts posted:

Yeah, even in the Disney movie he's a dick, he's even worse in the book and in that old Fox cartoon nobody but me remembers.

I remember Peter Pan & Wendy.

The thing that bugs me the most about that commercial is that he sings the lyrics wrong.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

OneTruePecos posted:

Same here (central NC), but at the same time no one would ever pronounce "router" as rooter.

Never thought of that before, but you're completely right.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Canned Panda posted:

I remember Peter Pan & Wendy.

Peter Pan and the Pirates :colbert:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Canned Panda posted:

The thing that bugs me the most about that commercial is that he sings the lyrics wrong.

ok good it isn't just me. Also the way he says BILLLLLLLLL is so grating. I know that's the point, but still.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The kid from that commercial is in the trailer for the Preacher tv series so hopefully he dies when Genesis blows up the town.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

raditts posted:

If that's really what he's supposed to be like, go back to the drawing board and make a new drat commercial then. Why would you have an obnoxious dickhead in your ad unless said dickhead was using the competitor's product?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

ElwoodCuse posted:

If that's really what he's supposed to be like, go back to the drawing board and make a new drat commercial then. Why would you have an obnoxious dickhead in your ad unless said dickhead was using the competitor's product?

Because when you're Peter Pan, you're an obnoxious dickhead. It's what you do.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yeah it's not like Geico has ever made commercials with obnoxious characters

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

DJExile posted:

ok good it isn't just me. Also the way he says BILLLLLLLLL is so grating. I know that's the point, but still.

What really freaks me out is he is one of the kid vampires in this season of American Horror Story.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

raditts posted:

Peter Pan and the Pirates :colbert:

Well, maybe I don't remember it as well as I thought.

But I do remember it.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

DJExile posted:

The kid is amazingly good at playing an rear end in a top hat, he was in the Wet Hot American Summer prequel series and you wanted to punch him in every scene

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
The commercial wouldn't be *as* bad (but still bad) if it ran for a month or so.

Instead it's at just about every commercial break and has been for like 6 months at least.

Just nuke it already (and the "lol tiny nyc apartment" one too; that one's even worse) and bring back the Gallagher ad.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

MisterZimbu posted:

Just nuke it already (and the "lol tiny nyc apartment" one too; that one's even worse) and bring back the Gallagher ad.

I vote to bring back Ickey Woods.

"WOO! Gon' get some COLD CUTS today!"

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Keep Ickey, keep Kenny Rogers, keep Europe (if you must), throw the rest out.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
The problem with Geico is that they launch about 20 ad campaigns per year and the second someone admits one of them is good they commission 10 more commercials on that theme, so that even the good ones eventually get completely unbearable. It's so baldfaced and soulless that it's like the Oatmeal of car insurance

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
remember when they made an entire abc show based on it which got canceled like three episodes in

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

WescottF1 posted:

I vote to bring back Ickey Woods.

"WOO! Gon' get some COLD CUTS today!"

I hate that one more than the Peter Pan one.
The Dikembe Mutombo one is the best.
"NO NO NO. NOT TODAY."

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I like Ickey Woods but hate the Kenny Rogers one with a passion.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

raditts posted:

I hate that one more than the Peter Pan one.
The Dikembe Mutombo one is the best.
"NO NO NO. NOT TODAY."

gently caress yo cereal.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I always thought the Little Piggy commercials were far worse and insufferable than the Peter Pan commercial (which I happen to like).

He went from a literal storybook little piggy going "WHEEEEE!" to a piggy going "WHEEEEE!" as a too cool teenage pig being dropped off from school to an insufferable condescending assbag that likes to point out that if you don't have the Geico app on your phone, you might as well kill yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I really hate that loving pig.