Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Shindragon posted:

Also watching the first reason, Brock talked really low. Warburton almost sounds asleep half the time when Brock talks casually.

I love the way Doc and Jackson describe Warburton's voice.

"Hey, I'm Patrick Warburton. I talk like I'm perpetually yawning."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
My God, that's it exactly.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
If you haven't listened to the commentary, it is a ton of fun. I love their story about going to order bagels and doing it in Dr Venture's voice as well.

It is pretty much like listening to 21/24, Billy/Pete, or the countless other duos they voice tangentially talking about the episode for 20 minutes.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Warburton's delivery of the 'you never Welch on a bet. be a man. drink it' is so perfect.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Havoc904 posted:

If you haven't listened to the commentary, it is a ton of fun. I love their story about going to order bagels and doing it in Dr Venture's voice as well.

It is pretty much like listening to 21/24, Billy/Pete, or the countless other duos they voice tangentially talking about the episode for 20 minutes.

I want them to have a podcast so bad.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love when Hank is going all Gunny Hartman on Brock and he looks up at Hank and goes "Hank, you know when I get my license back, I can legally kill you?"

That works because yes, he could, and there would be a clone to replace it. I'm surprised during the Death Montage in season 2 there wasn't a shot of Brock killing Hank and then Dean so there'd be no witnesses.

"What? Oh Hank was being really annoying there".

feedmyleg posted:

I want them to have a podcast so bad.

Jackson and Doc talk about poo poo while kids play basketball in the background, i'd listen to it.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

"Quick jerk in the neck while you sleep"
"You've thought about this before, haven't you?"
"...yes."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TK-42-1 posted:

"Quick jerk in the neck while you sleep"
"You've thought about this before, haven't you?"
"...yes."

He didn't even hesitate. That was the best thing.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

twistedmentat posted:

I love when Hank is going all Gunny Hartman on Brock and he looks up at Hank and goes "Hank, you know when I get my license back, I can legally kill you?"

That works because yes, he could, and there would be a clone to replace it. I'm surprised during the Death Montage in season 2 there wasn't a shot of Brock killing Hank and then Dean so there'd be no witnesses.

Yeah, but then in the Dean-marries-Underbeit episode he's all distraught when Hank runs off by himself. Dr. Venture is the one who reassures him "I can always make another one".

I think it's more that Doc and Jackson hadn't advanced Brock much beyond being a 1-dimensional killing machine by that point in the series.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

twistedmentat posted:

If that was the case there would be no more Hank clones.

The show would just be "That Venture Boy! with Dr. Venture and his bodyguard Brock"

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Yeah, that just seems kind of mean-spirited and out of character.

Steak Bentley
Jul 16, 2011

Alright, sonny. Consider yourself pinched.
Not to mention unprofessional.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Toward the end of season 3, why is OSI after Brock? Is it because of the misunderstanding he had with his car and "termination clause," or is it because he didn't kill Rusty?

Edit: Nevermind.

Jewel Repetition fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Dec 21, 2015

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
What's the answer here ^^^? I just rewatched Season 3 and still found it somewhat confusing.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ajaxify posted:

What's the answer here ^^^? I just rewatched Season 3 and still found it somewhat confusing.

It was a misunderstanding.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
It is definitely confusing but the timeline goes:

1. Brock's car mis-understands his audio commands and goes Hal-9000 on him
2. Coupled with #1 and the fact that he did not terminate Rusty at the end of ORB, Brock becomes paranoid that the O.S.I. wants to terminate him
3. Hunter tells Brock the O.S.I. is indeed out to kill him but this is just a ploy to get Brock to kill the 3 O.S.I. hitmen. Hunter and Molatov hired the hitmen so Brock would kill off the primary competition of their all-female merc group, The Blackhearts.
4. Treister becomes concerned with Brock's mental well-being and sends a large O.S.I. force to capture him, culminating in the epic battle at the Venture Compound

When Brock realizes the OSI wasn't trying to kill him, he becomes confused and disgusted at what his life has become and walks away from OSI and Operation Rusty's Blanket.

At least that's my understanding after watching Season 3 multiple times.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The Piper posted:

2. Coupled with #1 and the fact that he did not terminate Rusty at the end of ORB, Brock becomes paranoid that the O.S.I. wants to terminate him
3. Hunter tells Brock the O.S.I. is indeed out to kill him but this is just a ploy to get Brock to kill the 3 O.S.I. hitmen. Hunter and Molatov hired the hitmen so Brock would kill off the primary competition of their all-female merc group, The Blackhearts.
4. Treister becomes concerned with Brock's mental well-being and sends a large O.S.I. force to capture him, culminating in the epic battle at the Venture Compound

When Brock realizes the OSI wasn't trying to kill him, he becomes confused and disgusted at what his life has become and walks away from OSI and Operation Rusty's Blanket.

That's a pretty good recap.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SRM posted:

Yeah, that just seems kind of mean-spirited and out of character.

I was basing it on the fact Brock has thought about killing Hank in the first Professor Impossible episode.

The Piper posted:

Yea, its's pretty cool how well everything is setup. Though I think Brock walking away was more because he misunderstood what was going on when he woke up after the battle in the Weird Stuff level of the Helicarrier.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

The Piper posted:

It was my impression that Molotov & Co. sabotaged the car.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, its's pretty cool how well everything is setup. Though I think Brock walking away was more because he misunderstood what was going on when he woke up after the battle in the Weird Stuff level of the Helicarrier.

He seemed to be walking away (well, driving away) until the Monarch's car blew up on him. I think he'd made that decision before getting to the Helicarrier.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Piper posted:

I don't think the car went Hal 9000 accidentally. The way I see it, Hunter and Molatov wanted Brock to kill the hitman from the start.

The Black Widows made sure Billy the crazy fanboy received Rusty Venture DVDs with ORB clues edited. They rigged the car to freak out when Brock asked about the ORB. They told Brock the OSI wanted him dead because he asked about the ORB. They hired the hitmen so Brock would take them out. Molotov couldn't give a gently caress about what happened to Brock after he took out the competition.

Think about it. Billy isn't the only crazy fanboy. There would be a lot of crazy fanboys out there sharing their thoughts on the internet, working together to crack things they identify as codes, sperging out on why a button that's usually painted blue got painted red one episode, and devoting entire wiki's to the cause. And some of them would have been at it since the days of VHS. If the clues had always been in the cartoons those nerds would have probably found them and publicized them on Usenet.

Edit: Also, the 'it's a coincidence' theory requires Jonas inventing the internet. Since when has that fucker invented anything directly useful to the modern world? He invented learning beds powered by million dollar supercomputers, a nuclear powered jet, a space station which just sort of sat there. Do you honestly think he'd bother with writing lines of code when he could be out banging groupies and building an invisible submarine powered by salt water?

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Dec 22, 2015

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
This all just helped me realize that when Brock was asking about a termination clause, he was asking about what to do with Rusty re: ORB. Up until now I thought he was asking about his options for just quitting the OSI/the mission (especially when he asks if he's been fired or made an attempted murder victim) and I had no idea why as nothing up to that point seemed, I dunno, weird enough to make him want to quit. That's probably the biggest plot thing to fly right over my head in the entire run, not sure whether Doc and Jackson could have been a bit clearer on it or if I'm just kinda dumb or a bit of both.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Wait you think hunter/molotov knew where orb was? I dunno that seems a little far-fetched, like OSI knows all about it but phantom limb/the guild don't?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
They didn't need to know where the ORB proper was. They just had to have Rusty dig up a patch of dirt and have Brock ask his car about what to do about Rusty after Rusty dug up the patch of dirt.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
The Holiday Single is out!

http://asitecalledfred.com/holiday-havoc-the-venture-bros/

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Thanks!

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
So happy they managed to do one again! Been missing them the last four years. Though that's a well known feeling.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Wow...didn't think they were going to do one of those again. Time to update my Christmas ipod playlist!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

prefect posted:

He seemed to be walking away (well, driving away) until the Monarch's car blew up on him. I think he'd made that decision before getting to the Helicarrier.

He literally says "I'd rather just quit", walks away, then when Doc asks him to help clear up he says "I said I quit!" and continues walking. He very unambiguously quits before the car explodes, let alone before he reaches the helicarrier.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah but he also mistakenly thought he was being hunted by OSI due to sitcom esque hijinks in the following season premiere.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Jesus Christ I hadn't realised this show had been going on for that long

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Green Wing posted:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Green Wing posted:

There have been 5 seasons so that should mean....15 christmas songs. I don't even want to check the real number.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
This one is perfect in every way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjFQpwE3cqE

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I'm a little apprehensive about the Captain America in the trailer. The show already has enough gay jokes. Plus I don't understand that satire since Captain America isn't effeminate.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Jewel Repetition posted:

I'm a little apprehensive about the Captain America in the trailer. The show already has enough gay jokes. Plus I don't understand that satire since Captain America isn't effeminate.
I don't think it's a gay joke. And having super-manly super-heroes wear heels and feminine clothing while kicking rear end is practically a staple of super-hero parody/hommage. See Maid-Man in Empowered. Also I think it's supposed to be a pun on something?

In other news, it seems the release date is now confirmed for Sunday, January 31st of 2016. Five weeks people!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Stars and garters

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I always like this one because they know its a terrible song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NizMVOHqTcU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Jewel Repetition posted:

It's a pun on the phrase "Stars and Garters"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
He could be an executive transvestite