Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ansel autisms posted:

I'm an idiot who missed a few that were supposed to be in:

Emotional rollercoaster.

I'm fine with leaving my photos as untitled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Any suggestions for the back cover?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Just spitballin' here, but either blank or maybe a reciprocity chart. Fake comedy option is a QR code for the dorkroom.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
the only correct response is a photo of ansel autism's rear end

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

rear end photo with QR code linking to rear end photo. Fake comedy option is digital rear end photo should also have QR code, for infinite rear end.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

8th-snype posted:

the only correct response is a photo of ansel autism's rear end

Make sure it's a long exposure of his butt at night on Portra 400.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
With a neon light in the bung hole.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

RangerScum posted:

Just spitballin' here, but either blank or maybe a reciprocity chart. Fake comedy option is a QR code for the dorkroom.

I like the idea of a reciprocity chart.

Or a stack of 4x5 on fire.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Some... interesting ideas. I like the idea of the reciprocity chart, makes sense.

In other news: I just got a quote from the publisher. At 80 pages, with perfect binding, matte 216 gsm art paper cover and 150 gsm silk finish pages we're looking at about AUD $15 per copy. That's about $10.80 in real American dollars.

There are obviously some other costs that will also need to be factored in; postage obviously is a big one, shipping materials (protective mailers, board to prevent bending etc), payment processing fees and lastly the cost of producing a proof before we go into final production. All up I'd estimate it'll come in at around AUD $25 including worldwide shipping.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

elgarbo posted:

Some... interesting ideas. I like the idea of the reciprocity chart, makes sense.

In other news: I just got a quote from the publisher. At 80 pages, with perfect binding, matte 216 gsm art paper cover and 150 gsm silk finish pages we're looking at about AUD $15 per copy. That's about $10.80 in real American dollars.

There are obviously some other costs that will also need to be factored in; postage obviously is a big one, shipping materials (protective mailers, board to prevent bending etc), payment processing fees and lastly the cost of producing a proof before we go into final production. All up I'd estimate it'll come in at around AUD $25 including worldwide shipping.

No rush on this information since I know it's not something you'd just know offhand, but say I wanted to order 3-5 copies, does shipping go down a bit per copy?

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

RangerScum posted:

No rush on this information since I know it's not something you'd just know offhand, but say I wanted to order 3-5 copies, does shipping go down a bit per copy?

Ultimately, it'll all depend on how much the zine actually weighs. When I have the proof I can take it to the post office, get it weighed and provide exact postage costs for any number of zines.

Edit: but yeah, I would anticipate that it should be cheaper shipping for multiples.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Mr. Despair posted:

I like the idea of a reciprocity chart.

I like the idea of including a reciprocity chart for Portra 400 as well.

Mostly so I can look more refined than staring at my phone to get the information.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Shellman posted:

I like the idea of including a reciprocity chart for Portra 400 as well.

Not that I shoot film, but yeah that was the assumed chart. :p

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

elgarbo posted:

Ultimately, it'll all depend on how much the zine actually weighs. When I have the proof I can take it to the post office, get it weighed and provide exact postage costs for any number of zines.

Edit: but yeah, I would anticipate that it should be cheaper shipping for multiples.

It also depends if you're shipping by package or by weight.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

elgarbo posted:

is it still 8x10? This thing is gonna be ~1.5 lbs. is there a weight limit for still calling something a zine?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Dren posted:

is it still 8x10? This thing is gonna be ~1.5 lbs. is there a weight limit for still calling something a zine?

Catalogue of Fail

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Dren posted:

I don't know about that... But I just did a calculation to find out its actual weight for postage purposes and it is notably too heavy. I think I'm going to need to shrink it down to about 6x7 inches to keep shipping costs reasonable.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

elgarbo posted:

I don't know about that... But I just did a calculation to find out its actual weight for postage purposes and it is notably too heavy. I think I'm going to need to shrink it down to about 6x7 inches to keep shipping costs reasonable.

for 8x10:
code:
>>> m_per_in = 0.0254
>>> lbs_per_g = 0.00220462
>>> (8 * m_per_in) * (10 * m_per_in) * 150 * 80 * lbs_per_g
>>> (8 * m_per_in) * (10 * m_per_in) * 216 * 2 * lbs_per_g
~1.5 lbs

for 6x7:
code:
>>> (6 * m_per_in) * (7 * m_per_in) * 150 * 80 * lbs_per_g
>>> (6 * m_per_in) * (7 * m_per_in) * 216 * 2 * lbs_per_g
~0.75 lbs

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Hold up... 80 pages isn't 80 individual sheets of paper.

The calculation is actually 2 x 216gsm page + 38 x 150 gsm page.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

elgarbo posted:

Hold up... 80 pages isn't 80 individual sheets of paper.

The calculation is actually 2 x 216gsm page + 38 x 150 gsm page.

How big is each page? Are they 8x10 pages folded so each page is 4x5?

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

There's 19 8x20 pieces of paper, folded in half and double sided at 150 gsm plus one 8x20 cover page at 216 gsm to get a zine with a total of 80 pages with cover.

Like I said, though, I'll probably need to shrink it down to keep shipping costs reasonable. 6x7 or thereabouts will likely work better.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

elgarbo posted:

I'm assuming this is based on a minimum print run? How many copies are we looking at?

vvv same.

rohan fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 23, 2015

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

elgarbo posted:

There's 19 8x20 pieces of paper, folded in half and double sided at 150 gsm plus one 8x20 cover page at 216 gsm to get a zine with a total of 80 pages with cover.

Like I said, though, I'll probably need to shrink it down to keep shipping costs reasonable. 6x7 or thereabouts will likely work better.

Can we get a shipping quote first before we make our zine tiny? I'd gladly pay an extra $20 shipping to have a book that's way larger.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Hoping in to say I'd rather pay a little more for a better end product.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Another thing worth mentioning is that Whitezombie literally works at a printer and said he could get us a quote for the same book, and that way it'd be printed in USA where shipping costs aren't an issue for most people. Also we can drive to his house and kick his rear end if they screw anything up.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Points duly noted.

Shipping the 8x10 issue is likely to cost about AUD $15. Again, possible volume discounts apply.

So probably would end up around AUD $35 approximately (or a little less) after accounting for all of the incidental stuff like packaging and buying a proof and transaction costs.

If Whitezombie can get us a quote for the zine to be printed in the States, I'm happy to run with it. Obviously that would mean that either he or someone else would need to do the job of packaging and posting the things, though.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
Chiming in to say that I'm happy to pay a lil extra for a better end product too.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I would like bigger photos too

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Same, 8x10 would be desirable but I understand if it's not practical.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Count me in as another one who would rather pay more for a larger print size.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Go big (pages) or go home.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I sent 10k on the long side images so I'm in for at least 11x14 bruh

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

8th-snype posted:

I sent 10k on the long side images so I'm in for at least 11x14 bruh

no amount of enlargement will make your dick pics look good, sorry.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Alright we're going 8x10.

Easier for me; I've already made half the thing at 8x10 anyway and shrinking it would have been mildly annoying.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Kickstarter?

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

rohan posted:

I'm assuming this is based on a minimum print run? How many copies are we looking at?

vvv same.

Prices are based on a print run of 50. There's 38 people in the book and a few people have indicated that they want multiples so 50 should be achievable.

Obviously it all gets more expensive if we miss that target and if we somehow sell more it'll be cheaper.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm not in the zine but I'd like a copy... 35 Australian looks to be around 25 US which is OK by me. Now, if Whitezombi prints them in Albuquerque I'll just drive over and pick one up.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Elgarbo you are in Melbourne right?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I dropped out as a contributor but would still like 1 copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JSW2
Apr 26, 2008
Not in the zine, but would still like one as well.

• Locked thread