Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Mzbundifund posted:

I'm not sure I understand this. By TE you mean Thermal Expansion, right? Do you not use itemducts or something?

I think he's talking about the machines themselves. Pretty much all of the major TE machines are efficient and functional static cubes, with a couple of exceptions. I use TE exclusively, but my base never feels right to me until I've spent an unreasonable amount of time with unnecessary piping and decorative factory blocks.

I don't use Buildcraft anymore because deep down it's a bad mod, but I loved the look of rows of engines pumping up and down, lasers zapping assembly tables, and quarries mowing their way through the landscape one block at a time. TE can capture some of that with pipes, but the machines themselves are a little boring to watch in action.

That said, it's clear that TE machines are designed that way because the developers recognize how limited Minecraft really is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The one thing keeping me fixated on a dedicated secondary dimension is having a safe lobby where a new player can start and review everything. I had a few stories from very new people that they got their asses handed to them repeatedly the first night because they blew the first daylight cycle just reading the materials.

Have you looked into Recurrent Complex? I've played with it a little bit when setting up a server pack. The idea is that it adds a bunch of structures to world gen, as well as gives pretty good ingame tools to define structures to spawn. There's a specific setting that allows you to define a spawn structure-- something that always shows up at the spawn point of every world.

You could start players in a nice, safe shelter, and then build up anything else you want to show them in that area, or have teleporters or whatever branching off into tutorial world.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Playstation 4 posted:

For what exactly, outside of the filler.

Well, first off the rftools builder is way better than the filler from BC.

I like buildcraft because it has cheap pipes great for early game. The pipe wire/logic gates are awesome for setting up contraptions. The use of the pipes is more explicit than ducts or conduits but I feel like the low cost of them makes it fun and challenging without being grindy - something very few mods manage to pull off.

Also, there is something really satisfying about finding oil, pumping it out, refining it and burning that sweet fuel for energy.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

ptroll posted:

Have you looked into Recurrent Complex? I've played with it a little bit when setting up a server pack. The idea is that it adds a bunch of structures to world gen, as well as gives pretty good ingame tools to define structures to spawn. There's a specific setting that allows you to define a spawn structure-- something that always shows up at the spawn point of every world.

You could start players in a nice, safe shelter, and then build up anything else you want to show them in that area, or have teleporters or whatever branching off into tutorial world.

Can you think of a way I can do that without Lockdown? The trick would be carrying over the other dimensions into every new game. I suppose if I could just do it with Compact Machines, then it would just be metadata and I'd get away with it, but I think Compact Machines is using a separate dimension too.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
How does To the Core do it? It starts you off in a dimension that's the same for everyone, then you teleport to the Caves which are different. Admittedly you can't teleport back, but I think that is a config more than anything.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Edminster posted:

How does To the Core do it? It starts you off in a dimension that's the same for everyone, then you teleport to the Caves which are different. Admittedly you can't teleport back, but I think that is a config more than anything.
Do you mean the caves are different for each new game created?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Do you mean the caves are different for each new game created?

At least I assume so; I've got a different cave system and spawnpoint as compared to Yogscast but I haven't tested a new world against my existing one to be sure.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Hey Rocko, throwing this idea out cuz you seem more capable of handling coding for this kinda thing: How about setting up the tutorial world like the alternate dimension in Twilight Forest? No need to futz with the overworld per se, some kinda portal that's easy to make whisks you off to a pre-defined dimension for all your museum/instructional needs. Fits more into the Nether/End portal aesthetic of minecraft and you'd have Twilight Forest's existing stuff to crib from.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Can you use Lockdown to save the Compact Machines dimension? Then you could just give out the boxes linked to each room as quest rewards.

Plus that way you can have an example progression, and only hand them out when they become relevant instead of overloading the user with examples for everything right away.

You'll probably just have to disable creation of Compact Machine boxes unless you can somehow set the next ID to be after all of yours (assuming it uses an integer ID system anyway).

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I think he's talking about the machines themselves. Pretty much all of the major TE machines are efficient and functional static cubes, with a couple of exceptions. I use TE exclusively, but my base never feels right to me until I've spent an unreasonable amount of time with unnecessary piping and decorative factory blocks.

I don't use Buildcraft anymore because deep down it's a bad mod, but I loved the look of rows of engines pumping up and down, lasers zapping assembly tables, and quarries mowing their way through the landscape one block at a time. TE can capture some of that with pipes, but the machines themselves are a little boring to watch in action.

That said, it's clear that TE machines are designed that way because the developers recognize how limited Minecraft really is.

Yeah. I have no interest in going back to buildcraft because it's such a clunky mod, but my thermal expansion setups never have the whacky Rube Goldberg feeling that buildcraft has and it makes me sad cause I like all of the visually moving parts you get with buildcraft. It's just not even remotely worth the baggage that accompanies that aesthetic.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

chairface posted:

Hey Rocko, throwing this idea out cuz you seem more capable of handling coding for this kinda thing: How about setting up the tutorial world like the alternate dimension in Twilight Forest? No need to futz with the overworld per se, some kinda portal that's easy to make whisks you off to a pre-defined dimension for all your museum/instructional needs. Fits more into the Nether/End portal aesthetic of minecraft and you'd have Twilight Forest's existing stuff to crib from.
I'm finding creating a dimension is an odd amount of a pain in the rear end. In one build of Forge, I seemed to be doing it, but then some really oddball crap happened. I am assuming I need to do this client proxy crap. A lot of stuff isn't really explained, which is business-as-usual in software development, but I'm on a sabbatical from all that crap, so I don't want to just get into it in a different way.

ImpactVector posted:

Can you use Lockdown to save the Compact Machines dimension? Then you could just give out the boxes linked to each room as quest rewards.

Plus that way you can have an example progression, and only hand them out when they become relevant instead of overloading the user with examples for everything right away.

You'll probably just have to disable creation of Compact Machine boxes unless you can somehow set the next ID to be after all of yours (assuming it uses an integer ID system anyway).

I actually can't remember. I was trying so much stuff last night that I forgot all the permutations. I think I have to freeze the overworld settings if I use Lockdown. I think they can specify a different seed or something, but they couldn't use a different terrain generator, for example. Maybe I should just be fine with that <shrugs>. IIRC, Compact Machines puts everything into one dimension, but just spaces them out so they get their own spaces. Lockdown will copy dimensions to new games if it's enabled. It's just that while enabled, it's not so flexible on how to handle the Overworld.

One idea I had was to drop them into the overworld like usual, and give them some item that will launch them into the tutorial dimension. I was fine with that, but it comes back to getting that dimension through to Lockdown. If there was a way to declare small dimensions as metadata, then I think I could skip all of this and not even need Lockdown. Something that comes to mind are those space capsule modules from God-knows-what mod that was available in Hexxit back in the day. You could use that to store a pre-defined region and then restore it by putting the capsule in a builder box thing at will. It would just plop it down in the world around you. Actually, that could be bad news for dropping in tutorial stuff since that would lead to a lot of pollution of surrounding space--if it doesn't end up just wrecking the base accidentally. Now I'm muttering to myself.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The morbidly curious may want to know that in RFTools could handle the tutorial dimension idea fine, it's just Lockdown as it stands is not set up to do the overworld-overriding thing I want to do. If I delete the Overworld's region file from the template directory, it will indeed create a new one, but it will resort to the settings I used to originally create the Overworld in the original save. I submitted something up on GitHub, so who knows. Apparently, Lockdown is 1.8 now. If they see the merit in what I'm trying to do, and institute a fix, I'd be still out of luck. My only recourse really would be to roll back their repository to right before the 1.8 port and try to reinstitute the same code.

I am pondering if I should compromise and not bother with honoring user-defined terrain generation. BFSR then would have the same overworld for everybody. Alternately, I don't bother with the tutorial dimension. I am waiting to see how my mumblings on the Lockdown GitHub go, but I'm open to suggestions here. I am assuming there is big value in having a tutorial dimension showing off how to do all this stuff. I mostly learned how to use all the mods in the pack previously from seeing it done on servers. Having it in front of you is a big boon. I think I need something like that to realistically expect anybody to complete expert quests I would like to add to the quest book.

Oh hey, I forgot about another modpack that starts you out in a non-overworld dimension. In this case, it's even an RFTools dimension with custom stuff in it. Look for the Jovian modpack.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Magres posted:

Yeah. I have no interest in going back to buildcraft because it's such a clunky mod, but my thermal expansion setups never have the whacky Rube Goldberg feeling that buildcraft has and it makes me sad cause I like all of the visually moving parts you get with buildcraft. It's just not even remotely worth the baggage that accompanies that aesthetic.

You could probably fake it, if you decided to headspace certain "areas" to certain roles. You know, capture a Sim City style zoning vibe. "This side of my base is raw ore processing and sorting. This side of my base is metalworking. Both sides must be connected to power sources that run from outside their zones." kind of thing. Then limit direct access to a front counter-top of containers that get pulled into the pipes to lead to the various machines.

Bonus aesthetic challenge points for space limitations. "Build a working ore processing area that priorities using any rich slag for certain rare metals first, then bumps said metals down the line if unable to be processed."

Basically Botania's challenges but for ThermEx. I'm sure the thread can come up with a couple of them that make more sense, and are more of a challenge, then my example above.

E: "Automate the crafting of Pulverised obsidian* in a 3x3x1 area, water and lava must be externally piped in, no machines may touch, end product must be stored in a container."

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 22, 2015

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Magres posted:

I mean it's because everything is on the verge of explosion because of some of Buildcraft's dumber mechanics, but it's very aesthetically pleasing.

Engines exploding is off by default, there is no perdition (energy loss) any more (it is an experimental feature you can turn on)... what dumber mechanics are you talking about?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

McFrugal posted:

Oh hey, I forgot about another modpack that starts you out in a non-overworld dimension. In this case, it's even an RFTools dimension with custom stuff in it. Look for the Jovian modpack.

Okay big announcement here: Starting in an RFTools dimension is under control. The challenge is getting back to a randomly-generated Overworld from there.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

bigperm posted:

Engines exploding is off by default, there is no perdition (energy loss) any more (it is an experimental feature you can turn on)... what dumber mechanics are you talking about?

lol, only in minecraft mods could something that's been with a mod for as long as it has existed be labeled 'experimental'

Anyway, weren't there TE tubes that let you see things passing through them?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Rocko, have you considered just packaging a tutorial world as a separate save named "for new players" or whatnot?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

How much of buildcraft is actually involved in Regrowth? I never actually got to that stage of the game, I spent all my time making 10/10/10 plants and giving up in boredom :v:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

How much of buildcraft is actually involved in Regrowth? I never actually got to that stage of the game, I spent all my time making 10/10/10 plants and giving up in boredom :v:

The lasers and assembly table gate out higher tier progression (and the most reliable form of autofarming, forestry multifarms.)

I powered all my stuff with a 2x2x2 high pressure boiler fed by 10 coke ovens, using botania's conjuration catalyst to dupe coal. (This is net mana positive after converting the coal to coal coke and feeding a field of endoflames the resultant coal coke blocks.)

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Is there a good quest based pack with a focus on tech? Ideally something like Blightfall but with less focus on magic/exploration and more on building.

Whatever mod it is that adds rockets to the Moon/Mars and space stations would be a plus, that one looked fun but I never played with it.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014
Hey Rocko, I don't have PM on SA forums, but you might want to remove your notes from the latest non-client upload. ;)

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009

Glory of Arioch posted:

The lasers and assembly table gate out higher tier progression (and the most reliable form of autofarming, forestry multifarms.)

I powered all my stuff with a 2x2x2 high pressure boiler fed by 10 coke ovens, using botania's conjuration catalyst to dupe coal. (This is net mana positive after converting the coal to coal coke and feeding a field of endoflames the resultant coal coke blocks.)

well, technically its not gated behind the assembly tables and such if you're willing to delve into Bees far enough to get your Saltpeter from Hazardous Bees. The Common-Imperial line of bees all demand temperate environments to do their thing in, though, and having to reset their enviromental tolerances in the Acclimitizer every time a bee mutates to something new gets really old quite quickly. I'd like to change the biome, but getting the materials for a Rite Of Shifting Seasons looks to be a GIGANTIC pain, especially since i've not seen a single Coven Witch out of the 4 i'd need anywhere. Does that Rite Of Summoning for a witch get me a good witch or an evil one?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Glory of Arioch posted:

Don't know what any of that is besides the conjuration catalyst :v:

Guess one of these days I'll just try it for myself and see what Buildcraft is like for myself.

edit I HAVE messed briefly with bees though and gently caress bees, is anything actually gated behind those fucks because if so nnnnnope

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Bremen posted:

Is there a good quest based pack with a focus on tech? Ideally something like Blightfall but with less focus on magic/exploration and more on building.

Whatever mod it is that adds rockets to the Moon/Mars and space stations would be a plus, that one looked fun but I never played with it.

The oft mentioned Baby's First Space Race by our very own Rocko Bonaparte is probably what you're looking for. You can tone down the oregen if you don't want such abundant ores.

quote:

The idea for this game started to support a little team-based Minecraft game some colleagues and I wanted to play. Most of them had no played Minecraft before. Having tried technical mods with newcomers like that before, I found that people needed considerable guidance to know how things even worked in Minecraft. What to even do when you start a new world is unintuitive. We also ended up constantly starving to death because everybody would get hurt--which would deplete the food reserve--while not knowing anything about replenishing food and farming.

This pack provides some common technical mods, with the Galacticraft moon mission as something of a final goal. It's unlikely an individual will get to a rocket in a single session, but it can be possible in a team game over, say, and afternoon. Its distinguishing features are its quest book and the easing of some grinding mechanics. The quest book is provided without hardcore mode, goes through very basic steps in playing with technical mods, and provides rewards. Grinding is reduced by extremely inflating ore generation, and providing much of the rote construction as part of quest rewards.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Ciaphas posted:

Don't know what any of that is besides the conjuration catalyst :v:

Guess one of these days I'll just try it for myself and see what Buildcraft is like for myself.

edit I HAVE messed briefly with bees though and gently caress bees, is anything actually gated behind those fucks because if so nnnnnope

the only stuff gated behind bees are honey/wax (which literally every basic bee will give you so you don't need to worry about breeding) and the thing used to make beekeeper outfits (which are only useful if you're breeding bees) and larger bags (possibly useful, but most modpacks have a bunch of bag mods in them anyway so you probably won't need to resort to these)

everything else is just "breed bees to make infinite diamonds!!!!!!!"-type crap which you probably don't need to bother with unless you're a humongous sperg about everything being made renewable

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Okay big announcement here: Starting in an RFTools dimension is under control. The challenge is getting back to a randomly-generated Overworld from there.

Ohhhh, right, yeah. The Jovian guy was never able to do that via HQM or whatever, but there might be alternatives. I think the best you could do is somehow set up a Command Block to teleport you to 0,0 at an appropriate height in the Overworld. I know command blocks can teleport players, but I'm not sure if they can teleport you across dimensions. I'm also worried that it won't be possible to get a 100% reliable teleport height.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Immersive Engineering version of Thermal Expansion

Similar functions of cube machines, but the dynamos have pulsating lights and electric coils you can add for the mad science complex machinery. Long dynamos, fat dynamos with different tradeoffs with efficiency/power generation. Energy cells that are fluid containers, more redstone in the tank for more capacity and possibly other fluids for even more energy storage. Place the movement plates in machines to automatically use those plates from the machines, so after pulverizing ores the dusts are thrown across the room into a redstone furnace.

Most of the machines have a glass window on the front so you can see the object being worked on, with the reception coil somewhere inside spitting relevant particles for the machine. Phytogentic Insolator has glass terrariums you can add to the base block that look like biosphere bottles with the relevant crop inside going through all the growth stages.

Bunch of visually interesting bullshit that has no relevance and questionable complexity and choice but break up monotony

and of course top of all this, the personduct that was teased a while ago but never added

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Blind Duke posted:

Immersive Engineering version of Thermal Expansion

Similar functions of cube machines, but the dynamos have pulsating lights and electric coils you can add for the mad science complex machinery. Long dynamos, fat dynamos with different tradeoffs with efficiency/power generation. Energy cells that are fluid containers, more redstone in the tank for more capacity and possibly other fluids for even more energy storage. Place the movement plates in machines to automatically use those plates from the machines, so after pulverizing ores the dusts are thrown across the room into a redstone furnace.

Most of the machines have a glass window on the front so you can see the object being worked on, with the reception coil somewhere inside spitting relevant particles for the machine. Phytogentic Insolator has glass terrariums you can add to the base block that look like biosphere bottles with the relevant crop inside going through all the growth stages.

Bunch of visually interesting bullshit that has no relevance and questionable complexity and choice but break up monotony

and of course top of all this, the personduct that was teased a while ago but never added

is this something you or someone else is working on or are you just posting your Cool Ideas I'm An Ideas Guy Someone Do This For Me in the thread

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
The world can be peaceful a cure for cancer would be great man space would be great to colonize

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm not sure this belongs here, but I'm not sure where else to ask it. My server has Computercraft and Railcraft, along with Open Peripherals. I'm in the process of making a train station with a destination selection screen. What I want is to have options on the screen that can be selected, and have a confirmation button that will print a ticket from a ticket machine for the last selected destination. I can get the individual selection buttons to print a ticket using booleanInfo = TM.createTicket("A"), but I'm not sure what syntax to use to print a ticket using data from an existing variable. Anyone got any ideas?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

lolmer posted:

Hey Rocko, I don't have PM on SA forums, but you might want to remove your notes from the latest non-client upload. ;)

Guhhh okay fixing. I don't know how that waddled into there.

McFrugal posted:

Ohhhh, right, yeah. The Jovian guy was never able to do that via HQM or whatever, but there might be alternatives. I think the best you could do is somehow set up a Command Block to teleport you to 0,0 at an appropriate height in the Overworld. I know command blocks can teleport players, but I'm not sure if they can teleport you across dimensions. I'm also worried that it won't be possible to get a 100% reliable teleport height.

I wrote a teleport command that triggers on a command block already. It can figure out what the overworld spawn is supposed to be and use that. That part is under control. The trick is just getting a user-specified overworld.

reignonyourparade posted:

Rocko, have you considered just packaging a tutorial world as a separate save named "for new players" or whatnot?

I don't know if I can package saves with modpack releases, but I'll experiment. At this point, I'm more inclined to just freeze everybody on a common overworld, but I'm not acting yet because I just don't want to put so much effort into something that could potentially be done better.

Edit: I wanted to double-check if that would particularly irritate anybody. One reason I haven't done it is because it would irritate me. One of my things I like to do is perpetually re-do the first two hours or so on new worlds, so freezing the overworld takes a lot of that fun out. Of course, I know enough about the pack to bang it with a hatchet to do what I want locally, but whatever.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 23, 2015

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Guhhh okay fixing. I don't know how that waddled into there.

I wrote a teleport command that triggers on a command block already. It can figure out what the overworld spawn is supposed to be and use that. That part is under control. The trick is just getting a user-specified overworld.

I don't know if I can package saves with modpack releases, but I'll experiment. At this point, I'm more inclined to just freeze everybody on a common overworld, but I'm not acting yet because I just don't want to put so much effort into something that could potentially be done better.

Edit: I wanted to double-check if that would particularly irritate anybody. One reason I haven't done it is because it would irritate me. One of my things I like to do is perpetually re-do the first two hours or so on new worlds, so freezing the overworld takes a lot of that fun out. Of course, I know enough about the pack to bang it with a hatchet to do what I want locally, but whatever.

Well I mean, if you teleport someone into an Overworld that hasn't been generated yet, won't it generate?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

McFrugal posted:

Well I mean, if you teleport someone into an Overworld that hasn't been generated yet, won't it generate?

Yeap, but it uses whatever settings I had specified when I originally created the overworld in the Lockdown template. Those settings are embedded into the level.dat file. I tried to get clever and, say, delete those data files, but that caused a royal crash.

At this point, I'm butchering the Lockdown code to try to pass along the user settings from the GUI because I'm on drugs or something.

Edit: It didn't work! :downsgun:

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I was just thinking how there should be a mod where you have to run power from + to - and make a real circuit, and if you run in parallel you get full power but serial means the machines run slower - but then i thought - Nah! too much wiring

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
W00t! I think I managed to hatchet Lockdown to do what I wanted. I need to test it some more. I am kind of horrified of what I did. Apparently just passing the world settings forward wasn't enough due to an internal Minecraft check. I had to go a step ahead of flatten the save's settings myself before it really loads it.

Edit: Yeap, got it! Now I'll clean up the code, submit a pull request to Adubbz, and watch it get rejected because of reasons. Then I'll just pack it with BFSR until drama. :p

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Dec 23, 2015

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I know I've at least seen agrarian skies 2 do it, so I assume it's possible. Heck I think that was also how blightfall originally worked, you had to back up the save if you didn't want to redownload the whole pack if you ran out of lives.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Man, I'm craving another good modpack after Blightfall, Regrowth, Agrarian Skies 2 and Obscurity. I like Hypovolemia but it's still in development and can't be finished yet which is bad. I wish Galactic Science wasn't so awful to start.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

W00t! I think I managed to hatchet Lockdown to do what I wanted. I need to test it some more. I am kind of horrified of what I did. Apparently just passing the world settings forward wasn't enough due to an internal Minecraft check. I had to go a step ahead of flatten the save's settings myself before it really loads it.

Edit: Yeap, got it! Now I'll clean up the code, submit a pull request to Adubbz, and watch it get rejected because of reasons. Then I'll just pack it with BFSR until drama. :p

So, are players going to start on a completely random overworld and then use some item to warp to the tutorial world, or start on the tutorial world?

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 23, 2015

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Wolpertinger posted:

So, are players going to start on a completely random overworld and then use some item to warp to the tutorial world, or start on the tutorial world?
They start on the tutorial world, and then step over to a "Go To Overworld" room that has a command block with a button on it. When they hit the button, it takes them to their randomly-generated overworld. They'll have an item that can take them back to the tutorial world at any time.

For especially-new players--or at least players not really used the HQM--it gives them an opportunity to look at the quest book and the supplements before the evening sets in and they're boned.

Before committing to it, I'll have to get the warpback part done and test all these things with a separate server because half this stuff falls apart as soon as it goes multiplayer. If I figure it out, I will probably zone out a layout for the tutorial world and then call for help in preparing it.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

If I've played Regrowth already, does Agrarian Skies 2 have enough stuff different to make it worth playing through as well? "Agricraft your way into growing everything ever" is fine once but if AS2 is the same with just a different mix of tech mods, ehhhhh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

They start on the tutorial world, and then step over to a "Go To Overworld" room that has a command block with a button on it. When they hit the button, it takes them to their randomly-generated overworld. They'll have an item that can take them back to the tutorial world at any time.

For especially-new players--or at least players not really used the HQM--it gives them an opportunity to look at the quest book and the supplements before the evening sets in and they're boned.

Before committing to it, I'll have to get the warpback part done and test all these things with a separate server because half this stuff falls apart as soon as it goes multiplayer. If I figure it out, I will probably zone out a layout for the tutorial world and then call for help in preparing it.

one thing you might wanna shoehorn onto that command block is a command to set the current time on the map to day, maybe with a memory circuit in a bedrock cage that only lets the user do the set to day part once