Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Mogomra posted:

I think they gave me the paid version just for joining their Google+ group or something? It still gets the job done for me.

Functionally the app is still the same but its still a poo poo thing to put ads in your paid app

I wonder if it got sold to someone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

What are good apps for remote controlling a device from a desktop OS? I've heard of Mobizen and Airdroid, are there others? Experiences with them?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

ilifinicus posted:

What are good apps for remote controlling a device from a desktop OS? I've heard of Mobizen and Airdroid, are there others? Experiences with them?

Unified Remote gets recommended around here a lot I believe. It might be what you're looking for?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
That's the other way around, controlling computer with phone. AirDroid is good for doing remote actions with your phone. Mobizen is mostly for mirroring I think, so it depends on what you need to do specifically.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I really like PhoneMyPC for controlling my Windows computer from an Android phone or tablet, but I also got it on a sale many years ago, so I've no idea how much it costs and if it's really worth it at normal price.

What I can say is that it's a one time purchase rather than being periodic like Splashtop, and it's been very good at adapting to varying quality of connections for the PC (from lovely slow wifi to ridiculously fast ethernet) and phone (I was able to handle some things adequately on low bars 3G service, as well as having an excellent experience with LTE).

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

If you're going to use Splashtop you might as well use Chrome Remote Desktop. It's free and real solid. Not sure how it compares to your other app.

Unified Remote like AirDroid doesn't mirror the interface of the device (though it does provide remotes for this actually I've just never used the screen one). Instead you do actions and it figures out how to translate them into something your computer understands. Like telling it to open a file, or play/pause VLC or your music.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

ilifinicus posted:

If you have a samsung device still use side sync, it works great.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sec.android.sidesync30

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Facebook Messenger made some neat changes today. Text bubble color, emojis, and nicknames for contacts. It's all pretty gimmicky but its fun to change the colors and the thumbs up to a turd and act like nothing happened.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Whoever told me that the stock Messaging app has a quick reply popup must have misunderstood me, since it doesn't seem to have that. Back to Textra.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

hooah posted:

Whoever told me that the stock Messaging app has a quick reply popup must have misunderstood me, since it doesn't seem to have that. Back to Textra.

http://m.androidcentral.com/googles-messenger-app-updated-quick-replies-notifications

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

hooah posted:

Yes it does.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ah, my mistake. I was imagining something like Textra's or Go's popup, rather than something you have to bring up on your own. I'll try it out and see how it goes.

Edit: I was confused by the names. Motorola installs Messaging, but not Messenger.

hooah fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 19, 2015

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Is there a DLNA/UpNp player for Android that allows one to turn off photo streaming?

I have installed Bubble UpNp, and now all of my photos are accessible from my Blu-ray player, and any nearby device. :colbert:

I just wanna stream music.

EDIT: Nevermind, that setting exists in Bubble UpNp :)

Captain Pike fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 20, 2015

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

TraderStav posted:

I never disabled notifications and never got a single peep from them. Seems safe so far. Nothing scummy hit my radar.

This was brought up almost a month ago, but it sounded interesting until I saw the permissions. (I've been out of town and I'm catching up on the thread.) These look super sketchy:

quote:

ZEDGE™ Ringtones & Wallpapers
Zedge
Free
This app has access to:

Identity
find accounts on the device
add or remove accounts

Contacts
find accounts on the device
read your contacts
modify your contacts

Photos/Media/Files
modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
read the contents of your USB storage

Storage
modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
read the contents of your USB storage

Other
receive data from Internet
create accounts and set passwords
install shortcuts
run at startup
use accounts on the device
view network connections
set wallpaper
modify system settings
full network access

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It needs all of those to do the things it does.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Zedge is fine, the only annoying thing it does very infrequently send you a notification to come look at the new ringtones

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

JuiceSSH updated and now you can permanently(until you reinstall it) hide the book library thing.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Google must really hate the Hangouts team

http://www.androidcentral.com/google-reportedly-working-new-messaging-app-integrated-chatbots

:suicide:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Hey, double post. Great.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

lol google

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Thermopyle posted:

lol google

My favorite feature is the in app chatbots that can google search for you.. cuz ya know, my android phone is lacking in the google search department.

Also, how are they not in the same space as facebook messenger. They need to advertise hangouts if anything.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

What the gently caress is Google even doing. Is hangouts just so unpopular that they can't possibly save it?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Edit: ^^^Google doesn't feel like it's doing its job if it doesn't kill off at least several popular services each year.

Quick Google Music question. I decided to take advantage of their 3 months for $1 promotion. As long as I'm a member I figured I'd run the Google music app to upload my (missing?) music for remote access. Does the music uploader only upload music that's "missing" from Google's cloud or does it upload everything? The app is currently showing that it's uploading a much larger portion of my collection than I think could feasibly not be in the Google Music collection.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

It does a Scan and Match, and then uploads things it can't match. Your versions might not match with their server version for one reason or another, but in theory if it can it'll just flag you as owning it rather than upload it.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
No it will definitely "upload" the songs that you already have as a part of All Access. Meaning even if does a scan and match there will be two albums there of the same music. In my experience anyway

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Seems like push bullet are doing their best to put everyone off the service, I wasn't bothered by the subscription since I only used it to mirror notifications and push links between devices. However they've now started pushing advertisements as fake notifications, I've seen at least 3 times now on my desktop a legit notification come through and have a fake one immediately below it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Sendo posted:

Seems like push bullet are doing their best to put everyone off the service, I wasn't bothered by the subscription since I only used it to mirror notifications and push links between devices. However they've now started pushing advertisements as fake notifications, I've seen at least 3 times now on my desktop a legit notification come through and have a fake one immediately below it.

What version is your Windows client? Mine is v388, and I've never had that happen. I use it for the same reasons you do, so I don't have a Pro account.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
Never had that happen for me either & using the latest version.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
If this new messenger service that Google is gonna put out isn't the Google Messenger that already goddamn exists I'm gonna LOST MY poo poo

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Gmail - Note 5

Sometimes when I go to select a bunch of emails, it will let me touch on all of the circles to select them and delete. Sometimes when I touch a circle it takes me to the email. I've seen no rhyme or reason to the difference and it's annoying as hell.

I've even been very careful before making sure I absolutely, positively hit the circle to select it, but nope... it opens the email (sometimes).

It's a pretty annoying issue, because I want the drat thing to work the same every time.

Anyone else experience this?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Krime posted:

Gmail - Note 5

Sometimes when I go to select a bunch of emails, it will let me touch on all of the circles to select them and delete. Sometimes when I touch a circle it takes me to the email. I've seen no rhyme or reason to the difference and it's annoying as hell.

I've even been very careful before making sure I absolutely, positively hit the circle to select it, but nope... it opens the email (sometimes).

It's a pretty annoying issue, because I want the drat thing to work the same every time.

Anyone else experience this?

I've had this happen on my second gen Moto G also.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I have the circles turned off, but when I long press, sometimes it will highlight the email and show the archive/delete/unread icons, but when I let go, it will open the email. It's like the graphics have the time to change, but I'm not holding it down long enough for program to actually register it as a long press.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

So Google already has messenger and hangouts, both of which are complete poo poo, and it's plan is to.... Make a 3rd app that supposed to compete with one of the biggest texting/messaging apps out there?

Okay.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Taffer posted:

So Google already has messenger and hangouts, both of which are complete poo poo, and it's plan is to.... Make a 3rd app that supposed to compete with one of the biggest texting/messaging apps out there?

Okay.

I mean, FB Messenger isn't any less poo poo depending on who you ask. Messenger and Hangouts both work fine for the most part, the thing that's poo poo about them is that they never implemented an iMessage-like system that uses SMS when you have no data and Hangouts if you do. Plus the integration with Voice came late and was half-baked.

I wonder if Hangouts is too deeply rooted in GMail and G+ or something to overhaul, like they literally can't do anything to the system without ripping the whole thing apart.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Sendo posted:

This sounds more like you have some shitware giving you ads on your phone as a notification and Pushbullet is just mirroring it like it should do

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Kheldarn posted:

What version is your Windows client? Mine is v388, and I've never had that happen. I use it for the same reasons you do, so I don't have a Pro account.

I'm not actually using the windows client just the chrome extension and it's version 312.

Skarsnik posted:

This sounds more like you have some shitware giving you ads on your phone as a notification and Pushbullet is just mirroring it like it should do

The fake notifications don't actually show up on my phone they only appear on my PC whenever I get a legit pushbullet notification and they are in the exact same design/style as the pushbullet notifications, I'll take a screenshot next time one shows up (I've only seen it 4 times now). Maybe it's just been a complete coincidence and it's actually something else, just them appearing only whenever I get pushbullet notifications made me jump to that conclusion.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
I actually really enjoy using hangouts as you can talk with people on the desktop app and other such junk.

If they just killed google messenger and integrated it into hangouts and give you the option to either send messages via data or SMS it would give it a lot more needed flexibility.

But that would require coherent thinking *ffffaaaarrrtt*

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

captain poopfister posted:

If they just killed google messenger and integrated it into hangouts and give you the option to either send messages via data or SMS it would give it a lot more needed flexibility.
Er... that's what the Hangouts app is currently

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rusty! posted:

Er... that's what the Hangouts app is currently

What he wants is for SMS to be present and available on the desktop in Hangouts and he's right, it's a glaring omission because they don't want it to work the way iMessage does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

What he wants is for SMS to be present and available on the desktop in Hangouts and he's right, it's a glaring omission because they don't want it to work the way iMessage does.

It is if you use Google Voice! There's the option to pick voice call, SMS, or Hangouts.

The Hangouts Chrome extension is pretty awesome like that.