Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I'm fishing in WoW and that's more gameplay than SC currently has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tokamak posted:

Google Now suggested to me a pretty cool article about what indie devs (and a couple of bigger devs) would do with Star Citizen's 100 million.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/star-citizen/what-would-the-best-indie-developers-in-the-world-do-with-star-citizens-100-million

There's a whole bunch more, quite a few of them are dumbfounded or practical including one guy who said you'd spend $50m for marketing and $50m to hire 138 people for 3 years (woops).
:gary:

Me and Harvey Smith have similar dreams for their ultimate game.

I thought the idea of setting up an indie studio lab with 100 teams each budgeted at $1 million was cool.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I thought the idea of setting up an indie studio lab with 100 teams each budgeted at $1 million was cool.

I'd write a cheque addressed at Blizzard with the subject just saying "STARCRAFT 3".

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I like this quote from the article:

"The pressure to knock something out of the park with all the pressures and complexities of a giant team would be everpresent from day one, and NO THANK YOU THAT'S ENOUGH ALREADY. This is to say nothing of the expectations of the people who filled your coffers in the first place. What do they expect for their 100m? Bet it's pretty loving special!"

If SC is any indication, people will expect a boatload of nothing for their 100m. They'll just circle the wagons around you and defend the indefensible.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tokamak posted:

Google Now suggested to me a pretty cool article about what indie devs (and a couple of bigger devs) would do with Star Citizen's 100 million.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/star-citizen/what-would-the-best-indie-developers-in-the-world-do-with-star-citizens-100-million

There's a whole bunch more, quite a few of them are dumbfounded or practical including one guy who said you'd spend $50m for marketing and $50m to hire 138 people for 3 years (woops).
:gary:

Me and Harvey Smith have similar dreams for their ultimate game.

As discussed here, they contacted me, but they didn't get my response in time for the article.

quote:

That amount of money is quite a lot for small indies such as myself, but not for larger teams looking to do
triple A quality games where you get to spend a good portion of that on marketing alone. You can easily blow
through $100M quite easily.

In my case I’d spend $10M giving my legacy Battlecruiser/Universal Combat series a much needed kick-rear end
upgrade with a new title in the series.

The rest I would license the IP for Independence War, Freespace and Wing Commander,
and put together third-party teams (as I did with my Line Of Defense Tactics title) to develop each one for a much
needed boost to the space combat genre.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

quote:

The rest I would license the IP for Independence War, Freespace and Wing Commander

Derek, please do this...

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Beer, this guy is now stalking you around other unrelated subreddits? Not a cult. :mensch:

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

MeLKoR posted:

Beer, this guy is now stalking you around other unrelated subreddits? Not a cult. :mensch:

It takes a special type of mental defect to be so furious at internet words that they literally stalk someone across the entire internet.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

2DCAT posted:

It takes a special type of mental defect to be so furious at internet words that they literally stalk someone across the entire internet.

Amen

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Iglocska posted:

I'd be surprised if anyone thought that they would have enough money if funding stopped abruptly today, but hey, people believe in all sorts of mystical crap, so why would this be any different?

They don't believe which means they know Croberts lied. Unless CIG had to refund $40M they would still have no problem, according to Croberts.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

:perfect:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

:eyepop:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Lowtax and Derek in the same thread?
Is it christmas already?

gently caress, it is!

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

They don't believe which means they know Croberts lied. Unless CIG had to refund $40M they would still have no problem, according to Croberts.

Of course they know. The question is whether CR lied or really thought he could pull it off, I personally think it's the latter. Either way, it's obvious that they're banking on the funding not drying up.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lowtax, I dedicate this to you.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Senpai has noticed us

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Iglocska posted:

SC still needs funding because of the massive scope creep though

lol

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Tullius posted:

I've been lurking for a while on this thread and I want to say that cig really knows nothing about open development, other kickstarters do it far better.

The one that springs instantly to mind that I've backed is rimworld, the guy updates a changelog every day so u can see what he's been working on and even tho he's a one man band, still finds time to interact with the community

That includes answering concerns people have, not shutting them down.

I also lurk in this thread a lot and one of the things that stands out to me with regard to open development is that no one seems to know what the game will be at all.

As someone who's done a lot of project management as an architect, one of the most important aspects of managing a project is defining the scope as accurately as you can. In architecture, this means a complete set of drawings and a tight specification manual. That allows the contractors to give accurate pricing to your client so there are no surprises, and it allows the people working on the design to have clearly set boundaries so no one ends up promising the client any extras that may incur unforseen costs or design issues. If the scope isn't very clearly described, it can make your life a living hell. Making changes to a project that has already started is time consuming, difficult, and very expensive, and will make your client really pissed if it's something you just missed.

The other thing that's incredibly important in managing a project is managing your client's expectations. If your client wants a beautiful new home that's 2000 square feet and full of marble and huge windows, then tells you they only have 400k to spend, you need to let them know from the very beginning that they can't have everything they want. They might be a bit pissed initially, but they either need to pony up some more cash or cut certain things in order to come under budget, but that's how you do your job. You need to communicate clearly what can and can't be done.

CIG is terrible at both of these things. The game has been in development for three-ish years, and people are still arguing about key game mechanics like the economy, ship types and physics, PVE vs PVP, etc. They don't know what the game is at all, despite CIG claiming that theyh have the most open game development around. It also appears that the designers don't know either, judging by that last list of bug fixes for the 2.1 update where they said that they removed a fix from 2.0 because one of the designers said it was actually a feature, not a bug. The designers(contractors) don't know what they're making and the clients(backers/players) don't know what they're getting. This wouldn't be so horrible if the game was very early in development, or if they bothered to manage expectations at all. The backers each have their own idea of what Star Citizen is going to be and that's incredibly dangerous. Each person backing seems to have completely different expectations and yet they all think they're going to get their own singular vision and when it doesn't happen for the vast majority of them there will be meltdowns all over the place. They all expect the BDSSE, but they all have their own ideas of what that will be, and that's incredibly poor project management.

Luckily for us, this will be hilarious either way. If CIG crashes and burns we can watch the show, and if they actually release something we can watch as backers slowly get alienated from their own fantasies.

RescueFreak
Sep 8, 2013

Due to shitfuckery on part of my bank, no refund yet. Basically they got it, saw that it was for an old card, gave it back to CIG, even though I had an open dispute and had asked for a chargeback. Then they closed the dispute and denied the chargeback because I had received a refund. So they tell me to talk to CIG to get it back and CIG says they don't have the money either.

Looking for a new bank now.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Iglocska posted:

Of course they know. The question is whether CR lied or really thought he could pull it off, I personally think it's the latter. Either way, it's obvious that they're banking on the funding not drying up.

I think he just doesn't care. He delivered The Vision and it is up to others to build The Vision. He doesn't know the state of the game because he isn't playing the game because he doesn't care. He cares about directing and this is his platform. I think when they were around 60M or so he might have believed they could deliver because after being more than a decade completely out of touch with games programming he was in no position to understand the implications of the poo poo he promised but since the time of the Star Marine fiasco that it must have dawned on him. At this moment he's just stampeding like a heard of buffalo because he has no choice but going forward and hope some game can be delivered and that the Sq42 movie will open him future doors in what truly interests him.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
This is a good thread

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

I think he just doesn't care. He delivered The Vision and it is up to others to build The Vision. He doesn't know the state of the game because he isn't playing the game because he doesn't care. He cares about directing and this is his platform. I think when they were around 60M or so he might have believed they could deliver because after being more than a decade completely out of touch with games programming he was in no position to understand the implications of the poo poo he promised but since the time of the Star Marine fiasco that it must have dawned on him. At this moment he's just stampeding like a heard of buffalo because he has no choice but going forward and hope some game can be delivered and that the Sq42 movie will open him future doors in what truly interests him.

I suspect those career doors are closed to him for good, to be honest. Hollywood has a rather long memory, and it seems to me he went out of his way to grab actors who, although big-name, are not really tuned into the gaming community enough to spot what this project really is. For them it was just a paycheck. The interview with Mark Hamill had some telling moments if you read between the lines, about Mark having a simple question and Chris droning on for 20 minutes. He didn't explicitly say it, but I don't think he was listening to the answer.

The rancid cherry on top is Sandi, trying to be an "actress" without youth, beauty, or talent - the 3 key ingredients. You can make up for one or two with an excess of the third, but she strikes out on all 3 counts.

It would be ironic if they eventually did star in a documentary about their failures. I'd watch that, but only if it's mo-capped.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

neonbregna posted:

Senpai has noticed us

A proud moment in this threads history

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Tullius posted:

I've been lurking for a while on this thread and I want to say that cig really knows nothing about open development, other kickstarters do it far better.

The one that springs instantly to mind that I've backed is rimworld, the guy updates a changelog every day so u can see what he's been working on and even tho he's a one man band, still finds time to interact with the community

That includes answering concerns people have, not shutting them down.

Welcome friend, you are now a toxic person and hated by the ememoh communities

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
This thread is more A list than the SC cast. Lowtax are you here because your dsmart partnered project is near fruition?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

isn't everyone's name on the brown sea also their in game name?

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
drat, I missed lowtax. I was hoping my post would touch his

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bait and Swatch posted:

drat, I missed lowtax. I was hoping my post would touch his

There is some lowtax in all of us

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Eonwe posted:

Eeew, gross.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

Game development never changes. He could pull off a (at the time) basically triple A game almost all by himself in 91, I am sure he can do that in 2021 still if all else fails. Right?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Scruffpuff posted:

It would be ironic if they eventually did star in a documentary about their failures. I'd watch that, but only if it's mo-capped.

APB fell apart and its assets got bought for what? Pennies on the dollar? When Star Citizen collapses someone should fire up a kickstarter to buy the engine and assets and then use it to produce a mocapped CGI documentary on how the project fell apart.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Holy poo poo. I honestly didn't even know Lowtax was still alive.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Cuntpunch posted:

APB fell apart and its assets got bought for what? Pennies on the dollar? When Star Citizen collapses someone should fire up a kickstarter to buy the engine and assets and then use it to produce a mocapped CGI documentary on how the project fell apart.

APB was an actual released game when RTW died though. The current owners just converted it to free 2 play and added some new content in the 4 years they have had it.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

quote:

The rest I would license the IP for Independence War, Freespace and Wing Commander
Derek, please do this...

I will just copy and paste what I posted on my Facebook thread

quote:

It's not about the engine; it's about the IP. I have all the tech I need to make any space combat game I want; complex (like BC/UC/AAW series) or not (like LOD).

And it's a lot easier to market a popular IP within a genre, than it is to create and promote a new one. That's precisely why Chris was able to generate so much hype for Star Citizen after he failed to acquire the Wing Commander rights, by playing into the nostalgia of the three popular space combat IP (Wing Commander, Freespace, Privateer).

I know - without a shadow of a doubt - that Star Citizen is going to collapse. That's going to leave a massive crater in the genre. Again. And though awesome, Rebel Galaxy, Everspace, Battlescape Infinity and my new UC The Lyrius Conflict, are not going to fill that void because they are completely different type/style of games which only have "space + combat" in common.

For LOD Tactics, I put together an external team to build it. And that's why I started thinking that it's probably a good idea to pick one of the more popular IP, even though the sequels pretty much killed them, and see how that goes.

Those clowns in the Star Citizen community will - most definitely - try to shoot down and kill any attempts that me or anyone else makes to license and develop a new game in any game that Chris was/is attached to. Heck, even if the IP owners (EA, Microsoft) attempted it, they would face the same bullshit.

Basically, toxic gamers are their own worst enemies.

After doing the research these past weeks, I know what all the three IPs cost to license. I didn't look into Freelancer or Privateer because I don't care about those. Plus it's highly unlikely that Microsoft would license them to a third-party, since they simply don't do that. They tend to build their own IP. And once they bury it, that's it - that IP stays buried. Unless they can sell it (e.g. they sold Loose Canon to Ubi; but that was back when they were trying to mitigate the damages from croberts disastrous Digital Anvil fiasco).

Wing Commander, is out of the question. I won't touch that. Because i) see above ii) though EA would gladly license it, my guess is that after the Star Citizen fiasco, they'd probably wait and see how that fiasco ends first. Note that Piranha had the license for six years and didn't do anything with it.

I-War is relatively inexpensive, but though I expect that it will make its money back, I won't spend more than $2m or so making it because it's not popular enough to warrant huge numbers.

Freespace is also inexpensive. But below (also from the same FB thread) is where my hesitation kicks in.

quote:

No, that's not what happened. And last time I looked, the "community" has zero influence on business decisions.

When Interplay collapsed and the inevitable firesale commenced, I started looking to see what the fate of the FS license was. I then mentioned in passing that I would love to make FS3 since FS2 was done back in 1999 (!); three years after my first game release.

As these things tend to go, a bunch of vocal clowns decided to make a lot of noise about it because they felt that I would either ruin it or make it super complex seeing as the Battlecruiser 3000AD rage was already in full swing.

So I do what I tend to do in these situations. I said, fine, screw y'all. And put my money in something else.

That was circa 2006.

Still no FS3.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/rumor-control-179-ds-in-november-and-2999-gamecube-games/1100-6102932/

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Iglocska posted:

I personally believe that it's a combination of both. Anyone who thinks that croberts hasn't lied about something during this whole fiasco, is an idiot.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im looking forward to another day of brutal self owns by star citizens

cheers

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

D1E posted:

Holy poo poo. I honestly didn't even know Lowtax was still alive.

He lives in a state of undeath to due to constant consumption of ambien and bathtub wine.

Gryphon0468
Oct 3, 2015

ASK ME IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO SUCK OFF CHRIS ROBERTS

2DCAT posted:

I lurk various places, I look at histories freely available like many of you do. You make it sound like "the Internet" is some vast waste I must battle across in order to access different sites. Sorry it's not 1999 anymore.

Godmode Enabled
Jul 14, 2013

I AM A BETAGOON, ASK ME ABOUT PROPER GRIEF TO CASH RATIOS.

Eonwe posted:

Whether you want it or not. :quagmire:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

has there been any angry emails to SA support staff about the contend of star citizen thread yet?
Also can you re-open the access to our secret thread in the smart room?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=212
Also it annoys me that only platinum members can view the contends of the thread now. including the decipher of recipes posted in the thread

and finally question how much money has star citizen thread generated for SA? i have counted over 1000 dollars from seraph reregs, new accounts, dereks avatar changing wars etc..

• Locked thread