Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

peter gabriel posted:

I feel that bonds have been made in this thread that cannot be broken

Once this ends I will stalk you until you love me the way I love your posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

peter gabriel posted:

Or at least, cannot become broken as badly as Star Citizen is right now.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

the bond can only be broken by karl loving himself

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
As long as Karl remains unfucked our brotherhood is secure
This is a dimlema

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Bait and Swatch posted:

Once this ends I will stalk you until you love me the way I love your posts

I will be receptive and assume my peoples friendship stance for you

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

Lowtax posted:

I'll make you one... for a PRICE

How come you don't have a profile picture? You have a million JPEGS now. Pick any of them.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

pftc posted:

How come you don't have a profile picture? You have a million JPEGS now. Pick any of them.

Your avatar is quite prescient with regards to this.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Lowtax posted:

I'll make you one... for a PRICE

I'll trade you two CompuServe Gif's for one solid .jpeg

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Lowtax posted:

I bought all the spaceships for Star Citizen. All of them. I used all of the money to buy all the space ship drawings. All the money is now gone. But I own all of the space ship drawings.

Owned.

See you in the 'arse citizen

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'll trade you 4 AOL free trial CDs for a janky ship .jpeg. Try to beat that deal.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
We need to convince Derek Smart's legal team to draft a joint refund request to send to Leonard J. Crabs. The giant space jpeg scam of 2015 has left me financially devastated and mentally broken.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
the long and sotried tale of teh something awful forums came to an end on the day of christmas 2015, for but a few jpegs remained

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

LuiCypher posted:

Your avatar is quite prescient with regards to this.

Can someone buy me a "Joined for game/guild, but then I realized goons in general are ok" avatar?

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Feature, not bug

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Artificial gravity is a bitch. Also lol at anyone saying this thing is a space sim

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

I hope Mark Hamill sees this and then finds some loophole somewhere that allows him to cut any and all ties to this project.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

pftc posted:

Can someone buy me a "Joined for game/guild, but then I realized goons in general are ok" avatar?

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

It's expected.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

pftc posted:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Natron posted:

I also lurk in this thread a lot and one of the things that stands out to me with regard to open development is that no one seems to know what the game will be at all.

As someone who's done a lot of project management as an architect, one of the most important aspects of managing a project is defining the scope as accurately as you can. In architecture, this means a complete set of drawings and a tight specification manual. That allows the contractors to give accurate pricing to your client so there are no surprises, and it allows the people working on the design to have clearly set boundaries so no one ends up promising the client any extras that may incur unforseen costs or design issues. If the scope isn't very clearly described, it can make your life a living hell. Making changes to a project that has already started is time consuming, difficult, and very expensive, and will make your client really pissed if it's something you just missed.

The other thing that's incredibly important in managing a project is managing your client's expectations. If your client wants a beautiful new home that's 2000 square feet and full of marble and huge windows, then tells you they only have 400k to spend, you need to let them know from the very beginning that they can't have everything they want. They might be a bit pissed initially, but they either need to pony up some more cash or cut certain things in order to come under budget, but that's how you do your job. You need to communicate clearly what can and can't be done.

CIG is terrible at both of these things. The game has been in development for three-ish years, and people are still arguing about key game mechanics like the economy, ship types and physics, PVE vs PVP, etc. They don't know what the game is at all, despite CIG claiming that theyh have the most open game development around. It also appears that the designers don't know either, judging by that last list of bug fixes for the 2.1 update where they said that they removed a fix from 2.0 because one of the designers said it was actually a feature, not a bug. The designers(contractors) don't know what they're making and the clients(backers/players) don't know what they're getting. This wouldn't be so horrible if the game was very early in development, or if they bothered to manage expectations at all. The backers each have their own idea of what Star Citizen is going to be and that's incredibly dangerous. Each person backing seems to have completely different expectations and yet they all think they're going to get their own singular vision and when it doesn't happen for the vast majority of them there will be meltdowns all over the place. They all expect the BDSSE, but they all have their own ideas of what that will be, and that's incredibly poor project management.

Luckily for us, this will be hilarious either way. If CIG crashes and burns we can watch the show, and if they actually release something we can watch as backers slowly get alienated from their own fantasies.

^this. All of it. Then add some nutmeg. Bake until goodness emits.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

^this. All of it. Then add some nutmeg. Bake until goodness emits.

cooking is a vital part of this thread

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
remember when CIG literally had a cake and sang happy birthday to star citizen

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

2DCAT posted:

I should have known that Lowtax asked for donations not to move the server stuff to the cloud, but to instead buy all of the star citizen jpegs. My grimey drawer is now a badge of shame and embarrassment. That could have been my jpeg...

I told you all not to give him any money and that he'd just move the forums to some lovely cloud service, then spend the rest on JPEGs. Nobody listened to me. I even wrote TWO loving blogs about it.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I'm thinking of designing a game myself, and I've decided to use SC as a business template. So far my priorities are outlined as follows:

1) House, cars, vacations, coffee machines
2) Mocap studios
3) International offices
4) Sycophants

That should cover the foundation. Next up:

5) JPEGs
6) Fidelity
7) Head bob
8) Livestreaming

Once that is in place, from what I've learned, I can consider the game shipped. However, since quality is job 1, I want to go above and beyond for my future customers. I've added some stretch goals:

- A game engine
- Physics
- An economy
- A game

Once all that is completed, I'm hoping to finish it off with a design document.

Anyone on board with this?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Eonwe posted:

it's like those birthday parties for a miscarriage, only sadder

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Cookies are treats, not tricks

Cookies are a sometimes food

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

I told you all not to give him any money and that he'd just move the forums to some lovely cloud service, then spend the rest on JPEGs. Nobody listened to me. I even wrote TWO loving blogs about it.

from - college slice

:smug:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Eonwe posted:

chris showed the world he'd never cut a cake before then spat cake all over everyone :lol:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm thinking of designing a game myself, and I've decided to use SC as a business template. So far my priorities are outlined as follows:

2) Mocap studios
3) International offices
4) Sycophants

5) JPEGs
6) Fidelity
7) Head bob
8) Livestreaming

Once that is in place, from what I've learned, I can consider the game shipped. However, since quality is job 1, I want to go above and beyond for my future customers. I've added some stretch goals:

- A game engine
- Physics
- An economy
- A game

get some cats up in this poo poo and I am all over it

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fatkraken posted:

Cookies are a sometimes food

You're not getting the most out of cookies, hth

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

I've hardly begun and I'm already hit with scope creep. Game design is hard.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Scruffpuff posted:

2) Mocap studios
3) International offices
4) Sycophants

5) JPEGs
6) Fidelity
7) Head bob
8) Livestreaming

- A game engine
- Physics
- An economy
- A game

pffff a design document. you know nothing about game development.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Not very interesting but Pat the NES Punk and what'shisface talked about SC on the last podcast. They like many others have doubts about the project but conclude that it would be the best game ever if finished. It's pretty irritating that people who should be more informed still think this poo poo show is even a bit legit. Also lol, they mention that Croberts has the pedigree to pull it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6sYtZNvbdM

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

I will be receptive and assume my peoples friendship stance for you

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Not sure how the cats will react to the birds that I learned need to be in the game. I suppose there are opportunities there for emergent gameplay.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Eonwe posted:

so is it 3 years old or 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Dan Gheesling (remember him?) playing Star Citizen.

• Locked thread