Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 im Technik-Test mit Benchmarks

:pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm thinking of designing a game myself, and I've decided to use SC as a business template. So far my priorities are outlined as follows:

1) House, cars, vacations, coffee machines
2) Mocap studios
3) International offices
4) Sycophants

That should cover the foundation. Next up:

5) JPEGs
6) Fidelity
7) Head bob
8) Livestreaming

Once that is in place, from what I've learned, I can consider the game shipped. However, since quality is job 1, I want to go above and beyond for my future customers. I've added some stretch goals:

- A game engine
- Physics
- An economy
- A game

Once all that is completed, I'm hoping to finish it off with a design document.

Anyone on board with this?

I don't see no pizza, I'm out, taking my space money with me.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

D_Smart posted:

I told you all not to give him any money and that he'd just move the forums to some lovely cloud service, then spend the rest on JPEGs. Nobody listened to me. I even wrote TWO loving blogs about it.

You mostly called it.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

peter gabriel posted:

chris showed the world he'd never cut a cake before then spat cake all over everyone :lol:

Well of course he couldn't. The cake wasn't put through 5 years of alpha testing. On top of the obvious fact that they didn't reach their proper cake cutting stretch goal. People want to. Lame Robert's for everything when we all know it's the fans fault. If only they'd quit asking for more.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

What do you expect, it's pre-pre-alpha. Do you even game design, bro?

I work at the apple store.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I like the graphics.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

peter gabriel posted:

I feel that bonds have been made in this thread that cannot be broken

I know I'm thankful for all the entertainment Star Citizen has (unwittingly) provided me this year.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

chris showed the world he'd never cut a cake before then spat cake all over everyone :lol:

oh god i forgot about that

a grown rear end man who doesnt know how to cut a cake :negative:

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
Will an SC collapse show the upper limit of crowdfunding? The lesson we could all learn is where a crowdfunded thing needs to become a publicly traded company that has transparency, accountability and accounting well established and standardized.

I think it's pretty well understood that where there is opportunity for white-collar fraud and embezzlement, there is usually fraud and embezzlement. As the amount of money we give to the unaccountable agent goes up, so does the benefit for him to just rob us. I think there is a certain dollar amount where any of us would just say 'gently caress it' and steal it all.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

oh god i forgot about that

a grown rear end man who doesnt know how to cut a cake :negative:

Don't judge. You never know, he might have been in the process of having his DNA rewritten:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jhN_PibYxo

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Gryphon0468 posted:

I lurk various places, I look at histories freely available like many of you do. You make it sound like "the Internet" is some vast waste I must battle across in order to access different sites. Sorry it's not 1999 anymore.

See you in the 'verse! (Probably stuck inside some geometry, spinning like a top in a ship on a landing pad, floating around in 'T' pose, or accidentally ejecting yourself into space).

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Goons are wrong again! Development only started a few days ago!

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
what in the world is happening here? is there a separate model for when the ship is damaged or something?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

This is scarily accurate :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

wyoak posted:

what in the world is happening here? is there a separate model for when the ship is damaged or something?

Dreams. Dreams are happening

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

This is just one failure after another, followed by someone making excuses for them. Good stuff

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Doing things no other game has done before, such as

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Interesting, it looks like you really cant extrapolate anything from this chart other than the servers completely gently caress up your frames.

This is literally like those arma 3 life mods where your framerate is completely dependent on whether or not the server sucks. And they honestly expect their private server thing to work?

e-Oh its 1080p. So even when rolling 600-700 dollar cards you can expect 60 fps online despite your card being designed to run games at 1440p and 4k.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 23, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Interesting, it looks like you really cant extrapolate anything from this chart other than the servers completely gently caress up your frames.

This is literally like those arma 3 life mods where your framerate is completely dependent on whether or not the server sucks. And they honestly expect their private server thing to work?

um the genius visionary croberts is designing the game for future server hardware

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

um the genius visionary croberts is designing the game for future server hardware

He just mumbles and screams at his programmers about using 'the cloud' to fix it.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Do we have a consensus regarding the scam theories here on SA?

Admittedly, I've only just recently started to dig into SC and its development but from what I've seen, it smells more like abundant incompetence than downright foul play.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPTeAK8ipmE&t=131s

Back in the Turkish rugshop.

Bait and Swatch posted:

This is just one failure after another, followed by someone making excuses for them. Good stuff
Yeah, very entertaining. He tries to use the terminals, they aren't working moves, the game crashes, reloads, tries to steal a guys constellation, clips through the bottom of the ship, then him and the guy get stuck, then he clips through the back of the ship as it moves and he's stuck in space and spends ages looking for how to suicide. Then he spawns his hornet again, gets lost for the 2nd time despite the large arrows pointing to the correct landing pad, finally finds it takes off, unsure of controls for a while then a players kills him incredibly easily. Was funny as he was talking about how amazing the game is going to be, I'll watch the rest later.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

BigglesSWE posted:

Admittedly, I've only just recently started to dig into SC and its development but from what I've seen, it smells more like abundant incompetence than downright foul play.

It's whatever you want it to be, welcome to The DreamVision~

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

BigglesSWE posted:

Yeah it's pretty clear that's what's going on. It's the exact same overwhelming feature bloat that has happened to a number of other overly-successful crowd funded projects. This one is just the largest in scale yet. The one drinking the most koolaid is obviously Chris Roberts.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Polish Avenger posted:

Will an SC collapse show the upper limit of crowdfunding? The lesson we could all learn is where a crowdfunded thing needs to become a publicly traded company that has transparency, accountability and accounting well established and standardized.

I think it's pretty well understood that where there is opportunity for white-collar fraud and embezzlement, there is usually fraud and embezzlement. As the amount of money we give to the unaccountable agent goes up, so does the benefit for him to just rob us. I think there is a certain dollar amount where any of us would just say 'gently caress it' and steal it all.

While crowdfunding needs some regulation, holding it to the same standard as publicly traded companies would probably be too costly for the vast majority of CF projects. Especially in countries (like the U.S.) that require public companies to have I.C. audits.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 23, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Goons are wrong again! Development only started a few days ago!

Setting aside the point that he's missing the point (how meta), I truly wonder what he thinks SC is doing that hasn't been done before? What boundaries (apart from sanity) is it pushing? What makes him think it's reasonable to reach a pre-alpha stage after 4 years, suggesting there are many years left to go?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah it's pretty clear that's what's going on. It's the exact same overwhelming feature bloat that has happened to a number of other overly-successful crowd funded projects. This one is just the largest in scale yet. The one drinking the most koolaid is obviously Chris Roberts.

Also to note, it's the feature bloat that happened to many other over-funded projects, but this one is headed by CRobber who has a consistent and solid history of going over budget and over scope through feature bloat that it got him kicked out of the games industry… so, yeah. It's not just about him drinking the koolaid — it's him having gotten his hands on his very own koolaid-and-brick-wall factory.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

BigglesSWE posted:

They have something like a dozen separate companies and talk about contracting work out for their youtube shows. A couple of the media companies that are possibly owned by the CIG founders also have exactly the same address as one of their offices. It's impossible to know from the outside if anything dodgy is going on and that's not helped by them not filing the yearly accounts for their UK companies which I believe is against the law.

This is stuff people could later look back on and say "well duh" depending what happens.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Tippis posted:

Also to note, it's the feature bloat that happened to many other over-funded projects, but this one is headed by CRobber who has a consistent and solid history of going over budget and over scope through feature bloat that it got him kicked out of the games industry… so, yeah. It's not just about him drinking the koolaid — it's him having gotten his hands on his very own koolaid-and-brick-wall factory.

They've engineered themselves into a corner with all the ship-selling, too. Is finishing the game even in their best interest? If/when the game does eventually come out, all the whales who spent thousands of dollars will either be so powerful the game isn't interesting to them, or if they balance ships more, realize all their money meant nothing. Either way when the game comes out, I don't see how they can keep the money tap going. They either need to screw the whales (to attract new players), or ignore new players (to keep catering to the whales).

They really should have kept the backer rewards to aesthetic customization and extra features. But then I guess they wouldn't have gotten $100+ million from it?

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

AP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPTeAK8ipmE&t=131s

Back in the Turkish rugshop.

Yeah, very entertaining. He tries to use the terminals, they aren't working moves, the game crashes, reloads, tries to steal a guys constellation, clips through the bottom of the ship, then him and the guy get stuck, then he clips through the back of the ship as it moves and he's stuck in space and spends ages looking for how to suicide. Then he spawns his hornet again, gets lost for the 2nd time despite the large arrows pointing to the correct landing pad, finally finds it takes off, unsure of controls for a while then a players kills him incredibly easily. Was funny as he was talking about how amazing the game is going to be, I'll watch the rest later.

I watched a bit further, the "game" of course crashes again right after he gets his rear end kicked. Thats where I stopped

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cao Ni Ma posted:

e-Oh its 1080p. So even when rolling 600-700 dollar cards you can expect 60 fps online despite your card being designed to run games at 1440p and 4k.

Seems like it would work fine so long as the private server is your own PC. And you're the only one using it.

BigglesSWE posted:

I don't think it's an outright scam. I think Roberts fell to the same problems he has in the past, there's nobody in a position to provide oversight, and the only group he could remotely be considered accountable to is addicted to sending him money whenever possible.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
It does sound like a balancing nightmare when you have one ship for 50 bucks on one side and one for 1000 on the other.

The more I read about SC, the more I respect E:D. I'm glad that I put my money on that horse.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

$100M.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Polish Avenger posted:

SirPhoebos posted:

While crowdfunding needs some regulation, holding it to the same standard as publicly traded companies would probably be too costly for the vast majority of CF projects. Especially in countries (like the U.S.) that require public companies to have I.C. audits.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a size limit for things like Star Citizen that would either force it to be a publicly traded corporation or enforce similar accounting standards and transparency.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

They've engineered themselves into a corner with all the ship-selling, too. Is finishing the game even in their best interest? If/when the game does eventually come out, all the whales who spent thousands of dollars will either be so powerful the game isn't interesting to them, or if they balance ships more, realize all their money meant nothing. Either way when the game comes out, I don't see how they can keep the money tap going. They either need to screw the whales (to attract new players), or ignore new players (to keep catering to the whales).

They really should have kept the backer rewards to aesthetic customization and extra features. But then I guess they wouldn't have gotten $100+ million from it?

I don't think finishing the game is in their best interest at all. Right now the game exists as a dream in backers' heads, and the more concrete they make the game, the madder people will get once they realize it's not going to be like they imagined. Can you imagine paying 30k for a loving computer game and then finding out that it's not what you thought it was going to be? It's fine when a game releases and you just decide not to pay the sixty bucks for it, but when you're already financially balls-deep and they told you it was going to be the exact game for you, it's a bit of a different story if it turns out to not be the game for you. It's going to be loving amazing when (read: if) they start actually finalizing the design of the game because there will be so much anger and gnashing of teeth it'll be glorious.

Edit: \/\/\/\/ This guy gets it.

Natron fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 23, 2015

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Rotten Red Rod posted:

They've engineered themselves into a corner with all the ship-selling, too. Is finishing the game even in their best interest?
it's certainly in their best interest to never finish it, once it's finished they'll have to sell the game instead of ~DREAMS~

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I wonder if SC will ever be feature locked, let alone released.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

There was some discussion on this a few billion pages back in respect to how CIG would handle the player protection and anti-PvP measures so many citizens are asking for. The conclusion was that they'd probably have to screw over the whales and instead focus on attracting new players because it's the only way to ensure continued income (and the whales, being addicts already, will have a far easier time rationalising their continued addiction so screwing them over doesn't really cost anything).

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Natron posted:

I don't think finishing the game is in their best interest at all. Right now the game exists as a dream in backers' heads, and the more concrete they make the game, the madder people will get once they realize it's not going to be like they imagined. Can you imagine paying 30k for a loving computer game and then finding out that it's not what you thought it was going to be? It's fine when a game releases and you just decide not to pay the sixty bucks for it, but when you're already financially balls-deep and they told you it was going to be the exact game for you, it's a bit of a different story if it turns out to not be the game for you. It's going to be loving amazing when (read: if) they start actually finalizing the design of the game because there will be so much anger and gnashing of teeth it'll be glorious.

Hell, I remember spending years being super-excited for an MMO in high school, and then being fantastically disappointed when I got into the beta and it sucked. That was before long crowdfunding, so I can't imagine how it would feel if I had ALSO sunk thousands of dollars into it instead of just imagination and expectations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Natron posted:

Edit: \/\/\/\/ This guy gets it.
There's already a lot of in-fighting over the conflicting visions of the backers. It will only get worse as the game becomes more concrete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Star Citizen: It's basically Scientology for nerds.

• Locked thread