Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I wonder if SC will ever be feature locked, let alone released.

Locking the features should be a stretch goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The one aspect I simply cannot understand no matter how hard I try is how anyone can justify buying or "funding" a game content with a price tag of thousands of dollars. How did they even justify the prices of the ships? Based on the time and effort of its development or based on its promised performance in the game?

I've spent a lot of money over the years to buy and upgrade my computers. The key difference being, I know exactly what I get, and when I get it.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Rotten Red Rod posted:

They've engineered themselves into a corner with all the ship-selling, too. Is finishing the game even in their best interest? If/when the game does eventually come out, all the whales who spent thousands of dollars will either be so powerful the game isn't interesting to them, or if they balance ships more, realize all their money meant nothing. Either way when the game comes out, I don't see how they can keep the money tap going. They either need to screw the whales (to attract new players), or ignore new players (to keep catering to the whales).

They really should have kept the backer rewards to aesthetic customization and extra features. But then I guess they wouldn't have gotten $100+ million from it?

Even if this game ever does come out even close to the 'vision' the whales are going to tear each other apart about the perceived slights or faults of their thousand dollar ships. I mean you have people unironically asking for rape gameplay and demanding everybody have to walk everywhere for immersion. It doesn't really matter what the game actually ends up with, there are going to be a ton of pissed off whales out there.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Mirificus posted:

There's already a lot of in-fighting over the conflicting visions of the backers. It will only get worse as the game becomes more concrete.

There is definitely an angle to take that makes this look like some kind of kickstarter era Ponzi scheme. Keep the actual game vague, keep designing ship ideas that people will pay money for, get your kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames, to quote Jim Morrison.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Mirificus posted:

There's already a lot of in-fighting over the conflicting visions of the backers. It will only get worse as the game becomes more concrete.

I think with the way CIG is "moderating" the forums, the people who disagree with anything will just be banned or know to shut their mouths. They'll post and angry rant, be marked as subversive, and be banned. I think they might just slowly whittle away their users until it's only the worst of the worst.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

TheLastRoboKy posted:

This is the part of the scene where Seraph crests over the hill in a truck full of bitcoins as triumphant music plays.

Then the computer in the back fizzles and shorts, the music switches to a creepy minor chord, and the screen starts to wash out its colors to black and white. The music fades, and DSmart's voice echoes over the deep silence.

"This is how the gray market ends."

The screen fades to black.

"Not with a bang,"

A pig dissolves in to fill the screen.

"But with an oink."

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

BigglesSWE posted:

The one aspect I simply cannot understand no matter how hard I try is how anyone can justify buying or "funding" a game content with a price tag of thousands of dollars. How did they even justify the prices of the ships? Based on the time and effort of its development or based on its promised performance in the game?

I've spent a lot of money over the years to buy and upgrade my computers. The key difference being, I know exactly what I get, and when I get it.

CIG is selling nostalgia and to old nerds with too much money who used to play Wing Commander games and want to relive their childhood.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

BigglesSWE posted:

It's like donating to public media, your tote bag for $100 has nothing to do with the tote bag, it's just an incentive on top of the psychological reward of supporting a cause that seems favorable to you.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Gonkish posted:

Star Citizen: It's basically Scientology for nerds.

Uh, you're being a very suppressive person right now. Perhaps you should purchase an CIG audit package?

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

aleksendr posted:

Ok. Serious time. Is this the real raw source or the usual "poo poo and Giggles" Goon material ?

Everything I post is edited heavily and is for parody purposes. It does not represent the views of CIG or RSI or reddit.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3xln44/a_question_about_open_development/cy6i4h1

FatherChristmas
Nov 9, 2012

'Tis the season

Karl, fucketh thyself.

Coolguye posted:

Then the computer in the back fizzles and shorts, the music switches to a creepy minor chord, and the screen starts to wash out its colors to black and white. The music fades, and DSmart's voice echoes over the deep silence.

"This is how the gray market ends."

The screen fades to black.

"Not with a bang,"

A pig dissolves in to fill the screen.

"But with an oink."
:laffo: :gary:

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Polish Avenger posted:

It's like donating to public media, your tote bag for $100 has nothing to do with the tote bag, it's just an incentive on top of the psychological reward of supporting a cause that seems favorable to you.
I got my first tote bag and I'm happy with it but I'm already eyeing the recently released tote bag with reinforced handles. That one comes with a replacement policy if my tote bag rips. I might also donate toward acquiring some other color tote bags and the waterproof tote bag and the news van tote bag to round out my tote bag fleet.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Sandi has got some paranoid eyes going on in that interview. Big time.

FatherChristmas
Nov 9, 2012

'Tis the season

Karl, fucketh thyself.

G0RF posted:

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
:yikes:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
alternatively

:whitewater:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Is Derek Smartland like Dollywood?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

G0RF posted:

— But I'm not even with the company! How can I be fired?!
— I WILL GET YOU!!
— But I was just asking…
— NO QUESTIONS! QUESTION AGAIN AND IT GETS THE HOSE!
— [whimper]

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Synagogue of Smart? Is this a lazy attempt at alliteration or are we dealing with an anti-Semitic auditor?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Make sure you get the head out when you try to remove Constellations. You don't want to get an infection.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

wyoak posted:

what in the world is happening here? is there a separate model for when the ship is damaged or something?

Two (2) Jpegs.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
So a lot of these guys think they're going to be playing Star Citizen for 20 years like NON STOP. Are they expecting that CIG is going to be rolling new poo poo out that whole time or is playing SC in 2035 going to be the same as playing Falcon 3.0 or poo poo, loving Wing Commander, exclusively in 2015 is?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Goons are wrong again! Development only started a few days ago!

Start asking when they expect completion of anything. The constant shifting of the start point to indicate 'development' is as dumb as constantly gainsaying the same thing over and over.

It's like numbering an _alpha_ with 2.0 to indicate to the dumbasses that there's been progress since 1.0. It was stupid when it was applied to the Web by marketers and it's stupid now.

D_Smart posted:

Plus it's highly unlikely that Microsoft would license them to a third-party, since they simply don't do that. They tend to build their own IP. And once they bury it, that's it - that IP stays buried. Unless they can sell it (e.g. they sold Loose Canon to Ubi; but that was back when they were trying to mitigate the damages from croberts disastrous Digital Anvil fiasco).

Almost immediately you mention Piranha, however. Mechwarrior franchise? Currently in a licensing deal with PGI and sublicensed through Harebrained Schemes? ShadowRun? Microsoft will do pretty much anything for a quick buck at the moment as their cash cows are threatened.

D_Smart posted:

Wing Commander, is out of the question. I won't touch that. Because i) see above ii) though EA would gladly license it, my guess is that after the Star Citizen fiasco, they'd probably wait and see how that fiasco ends first. Note that Piranha had the license for six years and didn't do anything with it.

No, they didn't. EA pretty much said so when they claimed to have the license when PGI attempted to launch Transverse. There was talk of a licensing 'deal', but it never panned out, this was one of the central pieces to criticism of 'Transverse', that they claimed to have the IP, but decided to build something entirely the same from whole cloth. Look for statements from Russ Bullock that correct Bryan Eckman. EA retains the rights to Wing Commander.

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

Star Citizen controversy made #2 on the list.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/12/23/the-15-biggest-video-game-controversies-of-2015/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

serious norman posted:

Two (2) Jpegs.

Two space jpegs for the price of one seems like a pretty good bargain imo

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Croberts.jpg - 2015

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Say what you will about Warhol and the Factory, but they put out a lot more compelling poo poo than CIG. Plus they made no effort to hide their drug abuse and hedonism

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

2DCAT posted:

Two space jpegs for the price of one seems like a pretty good bargain imo

No no, silly.
You first have to buy a damaged jpeg, kind of like your first “second”-hand car. Then you can buy an upgrade to get the undamaged jpeg, at a slightly to massively higher cost.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
can BettysBigTits win a Toxie, the SA SC Thread Awards of 2015

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Hey Derek, for Xmas, please write a tongue in cheek blog about desktop commander and that vending machine. It would warm the cockles of many a goon's heart.

It would be good if you had stuff like "I never attacked a vending machine. And if I did it was in self defence. I've consulted my lawyers. Period."

Also buy the rights to freespace then give it back to volition. And get a position there as executive producer.

ShredsYouSay fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 23, 2015

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Wait, D_Smart thinks PGI had the Wing Commander license?

:laffo:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

KiddieGrinder posted:

Croberts.jpg - 2015

Getting a Kim jong vibe from this..... or is it chairman mao?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

ShredsYouSay posted:

Hey Derek, for Xmas, please write a tongue in cheek blog about desktop commander and that vending machine. It would warm the cockles of many a goon's heart.

It would be good if you had stuff like "I never attacked a vending machine. And if I did it was in self defence. I've consulted my lawyers. Period."

I would be pretty amused if he recorded a "Let's Play!" of Desktop Commander and then posted a thread in the sub-forums.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Derek Smart did express interest in judging/participating in the something awful game jam...

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I'd even take an "Honest Trailer" of any of his games.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpSs6a95nLY

Well looks like the pupil to planet video made a believer out of someone.

Seriously though can somebody explain to me how a space MMO is a space sim? At what point does Star Citizen seem like a sim game? I get it's in alpha but After Burner on the Sega was a better simulator then this.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPTeAK8ipmE&t=321s

From AP's aforelinked Sandi interview, this part is kinda awkward.

HOST: "You'll appreciate this more than my co-host over here. It's a part of an upcoming mod I have coming for my computer. And it's this..."

(He holds up a custom Aegis logo plate he's had made for the cooler of his computer. It's pretty slick-- he's got an LED light that will backlight it and color will shift depending on the machine temperature.)

SANDI: ('wow i'm impressed voice') "Oooooh-- Anvil Aerospace!'

HOST: "Uhhh, no it's Aegis, actually."

:cripes:

It's almost like she can't be bothered to know this kind of stuff. Later on, still embarrassed about getting it wrong, she remarks that she's looking at logos and they all really look alike. (Therefore her earlier mistake shouldn't matter.)

Random quote I just heard while typing this up...

Sandi: (17:56) "I think we have the good people at the top."

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpSs6a95nLY

Well looks like the pupil to planet video made a believer out of someone.

Seriously though can somebody explain to me how a space MMO is a space sim? At what point does Star Citizen seem like a sim game? I get it's in alpha but After Burner on the Sega was a better simulator then this.

PvP MMO imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Beet Wagon posted:

I'd even take an "Honest Trailer" of any of his games.

Would a jpeg suffice

• Locked thread