Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
An honest trailer of star citizen with Derek Smart in it would be pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Getting a Kim jong vibe from this..... or is it chairman mao?

That picture is just amazing.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Wow, this thread is moving faster than the Star Wars thread. Good job everyone.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

Seriously though can somebody explain to me how a space MMO is a space sim? At what point does Star Citizen seem like a sim game? I get it's in alpha but After Burner on the Sega was a better simulator then this.

It simulated the tedium and outright folly of the multi-year space mission to get to another planet at sea-level-subsonic speeds.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
wow got a comment on my troll question about cryeng being awful

[Weekly] Question and Answer Thread - December 22 2015
från Chitect via /r/starcitizenc
For what they want to do there simply isn't a 'Better' or 'Best' Engine to use. Which ever one they used they would have to heavily modify it to meet a certain aspect of the game and any engine would have needed to be modified to get 64-bit.
Personally, I think CryEngine3 was the better choice over newer engines like Unreal Engine 4 for example.
First and foremost, CE3 is a very well established engine, and there is a very large amount of Professionals and Freelancers that are intimately knowledgeable about it. Much of CIG's Frankfurt office is former CryTek employees, some of whom have writen the original source code. UE4 by comparison is brand new, almost no one including its developers fully understand its capabilities.
CE3 is well suited for a large dev team that is looking to modify the source code. UE4 finds its strength in allowing a small dev team to be very efficient, however, it doesn't lend itself very well to heavy modifications due to the complexity needed to provide that efficiency.
Lastly, there is nothing wrong with CE3. Yes it is getting older but as you can see from what CIG has done thus far, with a team that knows what it is doing it is STILL the most graphically beautiful engine available.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

serious norman posted:

wow got a comment on my troll question about cryeng being awful

[Weekly] Question and Answer Thread - December 22 2015
från Chitect via /r/starcitizenc
For what they want to do there simply isn't a 'Better' or 'Best' Engine to use. Which ever one they used they would have to heavily modify it to meet a certain aspect of the game and any engine would have needed to be modified to get 64-bit.
Personally, I think CryEngine3 was the better choice over newer engines like Unreal Engine 4 for example.
First and foremost, CE3 is a very well established engine, and there is a very large amount of Professionals and Freelancers that are intimately knowledgeable about it. Much of CIG's Frankfurt office is former CryTek employees, some of whom have writen the original source code. UE4 by comparison is brand new, almost no one including its developers fully understand its capabilities.
CE3 is well suited for a large dev team that is looking to modify the source code. UE4 finds its strength in allowing a small dev team to be very efficient, however, it doesn't lend itself very well to heavy modifications due to the complexity needed to provide that efficiency.
Lastly, there is nothing wrong with CE3. Yes it is getting older but as you can see from what CIG has done thus far, with a team that knows what it is doing it is STILL the most graphically beautiful engine available.

I'd follow that up with a "The main issue with Cryengine is it is terrible and bad games use it 100% of the time"

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

Wait, D_Smart thinks PGI had the Wing Commander license?

:laffo:

They claimed to have it when they shat out their Transverse pitch. EA said 'lol no'.

ShredsYouSay posted:

Also buy the rights to freespace then give it back to volition. And get a position there as executive producer.

Why the hate for the Freespace franchise?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

serious norman posted:

UE4 by comparison is brand new, almost no one including its developers fully understand its capabilities.

:stare: :cripes: :allears:
Yeah. The most prolific game engine on the market has never been used by large dev teams in any of those silly AAA titles, nor has it been modified for almost every genre there is, and it's definitely not a logical continuation of a well-established series of engines to the point where engine-upgraded conversions have been coming out almost from day 1. Nor does it have a larger knowledge base and community expertise than the dozen or so studios that have tried to make CE behave properly…

:cawg:

e: gently caress, wikipedia lists more games for UE4 alone than for every CE version combined, including such boutique indie producers as Epic, Squenix and NCSoft.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 23, 2015

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

lol i love this i dont know why

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
what game is that with those spacemen dancing

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
no idea

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

Wait, D_Smart thinks PGI had the Wing Commander license?

:laffo:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I just logged into the RSI chat! They're talking about ships.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

what game is that with those spacemen dancing

moonbase alpha

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Eonwe posted:

moonbase alpha

thank you buddy

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.

mike12345 posted:

Where's that gravitational pull coming from, you know, that makes the wreckage fall off? (because it looks like that whole scene is in space)

Lesnick is hiding just below the ledge and you know the combination of mass and distance, the ship has no choice but to go in that direction :lesnick:

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Lol if Chris Roberts thinks that Hollywood gives a hot gently caress about video games. There was an article as to why movie games are typically poo poo and it's because Hollywood just views them as marketing and basically inferior in every way possible to film. Because Hollywood also considers them the competition. If he thinks 10 hours of his writing will show them his genius, he is even more deluded than his whales.

Also Sandi's attachment to Roberts fucks her over because he is forever dead in Hollywood. There is pretty much one sin that is impossible to forgive: breaking a contract. Nobody is going to work with him or help anyone attached to him in any way. And she is a complete unknown in addition to that.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Alpha.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

EA told the german magazine Gamestar that PGI did not in fact own the Wing Commander IP during that whole Transverse meltdown about a year ago.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
The entryway to my office smells like a hobo pissed in it, is that homeless santa accounted for at the CIG office?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
If we belong in the Synagogue of Smart does that make us Space Jews?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Dapper Dan posted:

Lol if Chris Roberts thinks that Hollywood gives a hot gently caress about video games. There was an article as to why movie games are typically poo poo and it's because Hollywood just views them as marketing and basically inferior in every way possible to film. Because Hollywood also considers them the competition. If he thinks 10 hours of his writing will show them his genius, he is even more deluded than his whales.

Also Sandi's attachment to Roberts fucks her over because he is forever dead in Hollywood. There is pretty much one sin that is impossible to forgive: breaking a contract. Nobody is going to work with him or help anyone attached to him in any way. And she is a complete unknown in addition to that.

Coincidentally, and continuing the engine laugh riot, UE4 has couple of movies to its name… I wonder how many CE3 has. :D

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Dapper Dan posted:

If he thinks 10 hours of his writing will show them his genius, he is even more deluded than his whales.

Most of Hollywood doesn't give a poo poo about genius writing, CR's movie pitch should just be that he'll get backers to pay for distribution.

Contract disputes and lawsuits aren't uncommon in Hollywood, I doubt that's really as big a thing as the fact that Ascendant's movies never made any money.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

If we belong in the Synagogue of Smart does that make us Space Jews?

Well we are trying cause the ruin of the glorious German Reich Foundry 42.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Eonwe posted:

remember when CIG literally had a cake and sang happy birthday to star citizen

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3xln44/a_question_about_open_development/cy8ylzl?context=3

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Yeah, seriously people, leave it the gently caress alone until post-pre-beta 4.0.

You don't understand game development AT ALL.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

BigglesSWE posted:

Do we have a consensus regarding the scam theories here on SA?

No, but most of us agree the scam threat level is set to "Very High" and nothing they produce will ever be worth the current prices they are asking for. I think SC is a "Bait and switch" as they sell you a glorious space MMO with everything for everyone but in fact you are buying a remake of Wing Commander 4 with mocap instead of FMV.

At best they will deliver an average if good looking 3d space shooter game worth 20$ on a Steam sale in 2 years, at worst they will deliver a jankky piece of poo poo on the par of Big rig : Over the road racing and vanish with the leftover money.

SQ42 will probably be released next year or early 2017 and be something like the latter Wing Commander ( 3 or 4, those with the FMV) meaning 4-5 hours of boring script mocap cutscenes with short dogfight or fps missions in between.

These are the best case scenario assuming the whales keep on giving CIG money to shovel fuel in the furnaces. Mr. Smart and some others are betting CIG monthly burn rate is unsustainable and everything will go tits up next year, some still hope the project will survive and be worth playing even if they only deliver 50% of what they promised.

The rest (me included) are probably here for the entertainement value and the pearls of internet insanity from the brown sea delivered daily by valorous thread contributors.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Tippis posted:

Coincidentally, and continuing the engine laugh riot, UE4 has couple of movies to its name… I wonder how many CE3 has. :D

Haha, goddamn.

wyoak posted:

Most of Hollywood doesn't give a poo poo about genius writing, CR's movie pitch should just be that he'll get backers to pay for distribution.

Contract disputes and lawsuits aren't uncommon in Hollywood, I doubt that's really as big a thing as the fact that Ascendant's movies never made any money.

The problem is that there are no way these backers would pony up money to fund anything but their deluded spaceship dreams.

Also it wasn't quite a dispute, he broke his contract with Kevin Costner. Breaking a contract is worse than disputing one.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
apparently roberts said 2.1 is dropping today :o

at first I typed "chris" but that seemed really loving weird calling someone by their first name like that

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Hav posted:

You don't understand game development AT ALL.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

EA told the german magazine Gamestar that PGI did not in fact own the Wing Commander IP during that whole Transverse meltdown about a year ago.

You actually believed germans? How dumb are you. :colbert:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/3xuby7/a_look_into_dereks_war_on_sc/cy84sbd?context=3

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

aleksendr posted:

No, but most of us agree the scam threat level is set to "Very High" and nothing they produce will ever be worth the current prices they are asking for. I think SC is a "Bait and switch" as they sell you a glorious space MMO with everything for everyone but in fact you are buying a remake of Wing Commander 4 with mocap instead of FMV.

It's actually the other way around, the original kickstarter was basically for Wing Commander 6 and then grew into this bullshit it is today.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

BigglesSWE posted:

Do we have a consensus regarding the scam theories here on SA?

Admittedly, I've only just recently started to dig into SC and its development but from what I've seen, it smells more like abundant incompetence than downright foul play.

It's like space Amway. It's a scam but technically legal and there's lots of suckers that buy in and then try to convince other suckers to join in.

They'll get a game. Just like Amway customers get goods. But it will be a fraction of what's been promised. And there will be a constant need to pump more cash in in order for it, or you, to succeed in any way. And if suckers aren't constantly bringing in other suckers the whole thing will fall apart in due time.

The question is now, is it a pyramid scheme or a reverse funnel system?

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

aleksendr posted:

SQ42 will probably be released next year or early 2017 and be something like the latter Wing Commander ( 3 or 4, those with the FMV) meaning 4-5 hours of boring script mocap cutscenes with short dogfight or fps missions in between.

There is proof of this in the fact that the missions they released (with professional actors voices included) are boring "click a button, then shoot some dudes" types.... repeat over and over.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

aleksendr posted:

I think SC is a "Bait and switch" as they sell you a glorious space MMO with everything for everyone but in fact you are buying a remake of Wing Commander 4 with mocap instead of FMV.

You rang?

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

ZenMaster posted:

There is proof of this in the fact that the missions they released (with professional actors voices included) are boring "click a button, then shoot some dudes" types.... repeat over and over.

Now now, can't let actual gameplay get in the way of the movie now can we?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

• Locked thread