Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Make B. Jim the gary oldman model

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3x8z6k/future_of_star_citizen_questins_and_concerns/cy2ivx8?context=3

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/3x2ytj/anyone_else_feel_like_smarts_pinned_tweet_is/cy1590x?context=3

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
So we're space Jews? Well that would make sense, Karl is German. Is Dick Wulf German? It feels like an oven in here.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

:notacult:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Wow, more from that clip AP linked earlier.

Host talks about his annoyed reluctance to pay for the Horizons expansion even while admitting he's spent several times more for a game he can not play.

He presents it as a mystery. Sandi then unlocks the mystery for him by asking, "Well let me ask you-- do you feel connected to Elite Dangerous like you do Star Citizen?"

HOST: "No, no-- not even close."

Sandi smirks cockily (really)-- and is asked by the host what magical trait Star Citizen has (that Elite doesn't) that (in his words) "separates the fools from their money?"

Sandi is beaming as she offers her reply, which is essentially "I'm not saying I'm the reason-- but I am the reason..." (no joke) and then she explains how she provided the magic ingredients to separate fools from their money. And later, she invokes the speech she gave at Citizen Con as an expansion on the "magic" qualities that Star Citizen provides.

It's an amazing clip-- very worth watching.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tippis posted:

There was some discussion on this a few billion pages back in respect to how CIG would handle the player protection and anti-PvP measures so many citizens are asking for. The conclusion was that they'd probably have to screw over the whales and instead focus on attracting new players because it's the only way to ensure continued income (and the whales, being addicts already, will have a far easier time rationalising their continued addiction so screwing them over doesn't really cost anything).

Pretty much. As it we know it now CIG's business model relies nearly entirely on a constant influx of new accounts. With the exception of additional mission packs for SQ42 (Episodes 2 and 3) CIG's revenue is intended to be from direct UEC sales and new game packages. Neither of these are all that appealing to established players. This is contrast to most MMOs that use either a subscription or (more commonly) cosmetic/commodity sales that someone with a high level of investment in the game would want.

BigglesSWE posted:

The one aspect I simply cannot understand no matter how hard I try is how anyone can justify buying or "funding" a game content with a price tag of thousands of dollars. How did they even justify the prices of the ships? Based on the time and effort of its development or based on its promised performance in the game?

I've spent a lot of money over the years to buy and upgrade my computers. The key difference being, I know exactly what I get, and when I get it.

The first five ships were the Aurora, 300i, Hornet, Freelancer, and Constellation. My theory is that they started off with a reasonable introductory package ($35) that had to include a starter ship (Aurora). They then decided to add a "luxury" package at $60 with something that's kinda/sorta a fighter and priced it at what a normal game would cost. Then they priced the specialized ships (Hornet, Freelancer) at the price point for a collector's edition game. Finally they decided to shoot for the moon and give the Constellation at $250. But backers wanted more, so as they released new ships they had to fit them all in with the previous price points. A Retaliator is equivalent to a Constellation in terms of size, so price it the same. Reclaimers and Carracks are bigger, so price them higher. Sell a loving capital ship for $2500 because if people will buy it why not.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Did Derek sue them yet or are we just dealing with this cocktease of an issue

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

I don't know if this has been talked about, but the 2.0 "alpha" has a number of story heavy missions with voice acting and poo poo. Are these one offs that are there to give people something to do in the babbypoo or is CIG really planning to populate the entire game world with quests like these? Cause that's an incredibly bad idea in a project already filled with terrible ones. I don't really see the point of highly scripted quests in a game that's supposed to be based on an open ended world and economy simulations.

I don't remember croberts ever talking (granted I don't specifically seek every dumb statement he makes) about having canned missions in SC yet here they are.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3xxp2d/christmas_gift_mini_rant_dont_upvote/

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

LOL.

I have a new theory after looking at that guy's reddit history:

My theory is that Karl/Matilda/Abrushing is Ortwin.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

G0RF posted:

Sandi has got some paranoid eyes going on in that interview. Big time.

Sandi is just playing her role as Claire Danes

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

There is a good book called Priceless: The Myth of Fair Value by William Poundstone that touches on what CIG is doing as well as shining some light on why the whales keep giving him money.

All prices are pretty much made up randomly, and are subjective. One of the key indicators of an objects "value" is the price. So if you pay a high price then you expect the value to be good since it has a high price!

This behaves like a vicious circle in CIGs case. The initial "Value" of a non existant game is $0. Once they started charging a higher price, this caused the whales to think that because they are paying a high price they are getting a good value. Remember that the "real value" is $0 since the product doesn't exist.

Now we get into the feedback loop of whales keep giving money, essentially increasing their perceived value of the game, and giving them unrealistic visions. "$20K on this game?! I'll be playing it for years!"

The average person is one dumb mother fucker.

CIGs fatal flaw is that they keep promising new features that are impossible to implement. Really what they should be doing is just creating new jpegs to sell and get the game out. Promising the moon will destroy them.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Other than the Escapist, has this debacle been discussed on any of the big podcasts in the last couple months or so? I'm not caught up with either of the bombcasts or C&Crowbar but have they or anyone else mentioned this at all recently?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Cactus posted:

Other than the Escapist, has this debacle been discussed on any of the big podcasts in the last couple months or so? I'm not caught up with either of the bombcasts or C&Crowbar but have they or anyone else mentioned this at all recently?
There's not alot to actually report unless you have new sources of information. It's fun to make fun of stuff on a message board but an actual discussion would be real boring to people not familiar with it, and without an ending it's kind of a half story. Every article that comes out reads like those informationredux blurbs that just rehash the last couple months with bad spelling and grammar.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

sorla78 posted:

Sandi is just playing her role as Claire Danes

No, Claire Danes is a good actor

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Star Citizen: All I need is Chris

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fuctifino posted:

LOL.

I have a new theory after looking at that guy's reddit history:

My theory is that Karl/Matilda/Abrushing is Ortwin.

i would be glad of this

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cactus posted:

It keeps getting brought up as an interesting financial story in various places, and that'll snowball more as people inevitably wonder what's happening with that story about that game, but at the moment it's a minor spat between a couple of video game producers.

Fried Watermelon posted:

Priceless: The Myth of Fair Value by William Poundstone

This. ^^^^

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
can you imagine a high powered lawyer registered on the Something Awful Comedy Message Boards 2015 to argue with people about space ships

Wyld
Sep 2, 2015

Fun Shoe

Eonwe posted:

can you imagine a high powered lawyer registered on the Something Awful Comedy Message Boards 2015 to argue with people about space ships

How is the Revival game coming along? Can we s'merge the threads so that Kickstarter and the public in large are protected against scams? No, wait, let them spend their money on silly things!

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Why is this thread always so busy then, if nothing is actually happening?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cactus posted:

Why is this thread always so busy then, if nothing is actually happening?

its games hellthread

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wyld posted:

How is the Revival game coming along? Can we s'merge the threads so that Kickstarter and the public in large are protected against scams? No, wait, let them spend their money on silly things!

I imagine its going as well as star citizen

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Eonwe posted:

its games hellthread

a curious phenomenon indeed.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/308167/real-money

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

BigglesSWE posted:

Do we have a consensus regarding the scam theories here on SA?

Admittedly, I've only just recently started to dig into SC and its development but from what I've seen, it smells more like abundant incompetence than downright foul play.

The thing is, CIG is incredibly incompetent and it does look like SC will go the way of Duke Nukem Forever. But then, without fail, CIG makes some other sleezy cash grab, making them look like scam artists again.

Right now, I would put my money on: It started out as just incredibly incompetent shitshow, but has slowly transformed into a real scam, since Christ Robot and his minions have no hope left of ever finishing the game and are just in it to milk whales dry at this point.

It's kind of sad when the fate of Duke Nukem Forever is actually the best possible ending of this farce: Duke Nukem at least just hurt it's developers and publishers with it's failures. When SC finally beaches itself, it'll have ruined all those crazies who spend their daughter's college funds on jpgs in addition to that. There'll be a wave of suicides.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

G0RF posted:

Host talks about his annoyed reluctance to pay for the Horizons expansion even while admitting he's spent several times more for a game he can not play.

He presents it as a mystery. Sandi then unlocks the mystery for him by asking, "Well let me ask you-- do you feel connected to Elite Dangerous like you do Star Citizen?"

Sandi smirks cockily (really)-- and is asked by the host what magical trait Star Citizen has (that Elite doesn't) that (in his words) "separates the fools from their money?"

Sandi is beaming as she offers her reply, which is essentially "I'm not saying I'm the reason-- but I am the reason..." (no joke) and then she explains how she provided the magic ingredients to separate fools from their money. And later, she invokes the speech she gave at Citizen Con as an expansion on the "magic" qualities that Star Citizen provides.

Hahah, amazing.

Fried Watermelon posted:

There is a good book called Priceless: The Myth of Fair Value by William Poundstone that touches on what CIG is doing as well as shining some light on why the whales keep giving him money.

All prices are pretty much made up randomly, and are subjective. One of the key indicators of an objects "value" is the price. So if you pay a high price then you expect the value to be good since it has a high price!

This behaves like a vicious circle in CIGs case. The initial "Value" of a non existant game is $0. Once they started charging a higher price, this caused the whales to think that because they are paying a high price they are getting a good value. Remember that the "real value" is $0 since the product doesn't exist.

Now we get into the feedback loop of whales keep giving money, essentially increasing their perceived value of the game, and giving them unrealistic visions. "$20K on this game?! I'll be playing it for years!"

The average person is one dumb mother fucker.

CIGs fatal flaw is that they keep promising new features that are impossible to implement. Really what they should be doing is just creating new jpegs to sell and get the game out. Promising the moon will destroy them.

Yeah, this is the reason why the sunk cost fallacy exists. And on your last point is that Roberts hasn't been in games development for over ten years, he has no idea what is and is not possible and wants all that poo poo anyway.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

BigglesSWE posted:

Do we have a consensus regarding the scam theories here on SA?

Admittedly, I've only just recently started to dig into SC and its development but from what I've seen, it smells more like abundant incompetence than downright foul play.

I think Chris Roberts, during his inept career flailing, accidentally captured lightning in a bottle in a way that would make Inspector Clouseau jealous.

Nobody could have known that so many disenfranchised Malcolm Reynolds wannabes were floating around out there, waiting for another game that would make them feel like they did "back then", when Wing Commander 3 was riding high, and they didn't have a care in the world. People whose lonely lives could not possibly have been their own fault, because as the game indicated, they were A HERO.

These people were planted all over the world: mentally-challenged sleeper cells waiting for a wake-up call that nobody cared, much less knew, about. Then their old hero from memory rises again - this is their chance to reclaim their rightful place - to once again live in their imaginations and leave this world behind - the world they've proven (ironically enough by buying JPEGs of a game that will never come out) that they cannot navigate with intelligence, grace, or class.

The key to becoming a millionaire for free appears to be reading minds. Somewhere out there right now are other groups like this one - all sharing some silent need - waiting for some idea man to accidentally hit the lottery.

I can't even fathom how awesome the show will be when this collapses.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

You actually believed germans? How dumb are you. :colbert:

You actually believed PGI? etc etc

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Dapper Dan posted:

Hahah, amazing.

Yeah, this is the reason why the sunk cost fallacy exists. And on your last point is that Roberts hasn't been in games development for over ten years, he has no idea what is and is not possible and wants all that poo poo anyway.

Making a scale model of the galaxy is probably an afternoon at most. I mean it's mostly empty space right?!

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

G0RF posted:

Wow, that was brutal. She just rambled on trying to describe all the magic she provides and the hosts go silent waiting for her to say something that actually makes sense.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Libluini posted:

It's kind of sad when the fate of Duke Nukem Forever is actually the best possible ending of this farce: Duke Nukem at least just hurt it's developers and publishers with it's failures. When SC finally beaches itself, it'll have ruined all those crazies who spend their daughter's college funds on jpgs in addition to that. There'll be a wave of suicides.

Not to mention the possibility that Crowdfunding gets destroyed either by public aversion and/or onerous regulation.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

wait. did it come out?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
If someone wants to make a modern Ghouls n Ghosts MMO I'll buy any jpegs you want

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Or Outrun

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Sarsapariller posted:

After a long night of editing it's done. Be gentle, I am still learning the editing software.

I present to you the ptu experience in video form:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go1oFvxUoeI

That's incredible.

My friend pledged to this game and gets real mad when I read this thread. He couldn't contain laughter at this video though.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Thursday Next posted:

That's incredible.

My friend pledged to this game and gets real mad when I read this thread. He couldn't contain laughter at this video though.

Have you considered hitting him with a stick?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6143103/#Comment_6143103

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
PVP is like sex you see

• Locked thread