Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Sometimes I wonder how much of the show is actually improve and how much is at least partially prescripted. The Carpenter scene is just too perfect to be developed on the fly. Or the guys are geniuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

e X posted:

Sometimes I wonder how much of the show is actually improve and how much is at least partially prescripted. The Carpenter scene is just too perfect to be developed on the fly. Or the guys are geniuses.

I'm almost positive that a bit of planning of that between the bit and the impromptu a cappella was cut out of the episode.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

The guy's take on TFA is that it totally isn't a safe copy of ANH, and moments later defending how it's totally ok for them to copy ANH. :lol:
Those aren't contradictory statements though.

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015

A Meat posted:

I'm almost positive that a bit of planning of that between the bit and the impromptu a cappella was cut out of the episode.

No. We all started the episode knowing John Carpenter had been approached though. Source: I was there.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

They nail people complaining about Rey early on in the latest On-Screen, it's great.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

BlameSpacePod posted:

No. We all started the episode knowing John Carpenter had been approached though. Source: I was there.

Well, kudos then, because it's a loving fantastic bit.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

MisterFister posted:

Also this week's episode was great, mainly cause the Jesse Ventura impressions always crack me up.
James Adomian kind of ruined that for me because now whenever I hear someone doing Jesse Ventura I hear someone doing an impression of Adomian doing Jesse Ventura.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Rylo Ken, the son of Han Solo and Luke Skywalker

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

MisterBibs posted:

The guy's take on TFA is that it totally isn't a safe copy of ANH, and moments later defending how it's totally ok for them to copy ANH. :lol:

I didn't mind that as much. Abrams needed to jump start the star wars franchise again after Lucas hosed it to death. playing it safe for the first movie was fine with me, especially since all the characters were great and it focuses mostly on them and their struggles and adventure. plus abrams isn't directing the sequel, so we dont have to worry about star wars into darkness.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

BlameSpacePod posted:

Then huge kudos, because that was so good that I thought it must have been practiced or discussed prior.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

BlameSpacePod posted:

A Meat posted:

Then huge kudos, because that was so good that I thought it must have been practiced or discussed prior.

Sometimes I think that as well just because y'all are so funny, but either way We Hate Movies is legit one of my favorite podcasts. I really need to call in next time for listener requests to get Worst Witch in there.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Dapper_Swindler posted:

plus abrams isn't directing the sequel, so we dont have to worry about star wars into darkness.

It's more that the Star Wars movies aren't using noted garbage writers Orci, Kurtzman & Lindelof like a lot of Abrams's previous movies.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I agreed with pretty much every single thing the guys brought up.

Loved to hear them rip apart the MRA-idiots too!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BigglesSWE posted:

I agreed with pretty much every single thing the guys brought up.

Loved to hear them rip apart the MRA-idiots too!

Landis does know a thing or two about ripping apart people

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Max Landis is like the human version of those exclamation-point-riddled tumblr screenshots where kids who don't read much blow each other's minds with symbolic interpretations of children's media.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

I'm glad to hear that they loved TFA. I do think they come as a little too hostile against some of the movie's detractors, but part of that might be their "always at 11" podcast personas.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I really like WHM On Screen segments. It's a good mix of solid criticisms and analysis and WHM style comedy, although I don't know if they'll do one as good as this one since I can't imagine any other movie would get people to care about it as much as a Star Wars movie. Even if they didn't know that Kit Fisto is different than Ki Adi Mundi.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
What director's son were they talking about?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

BlameSpacePod posted:

John Carpenter being a goon makes things make a lot more sense now.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Max Landis's dad killed some kids or something while filming a movie, and every jackass brings it up when talking about him (Max) for some reason.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

BlameSpacePod posted:

I just want to say you guys are amazing, and if anything your last 25 or so episodes have been consistently amongst your best. No mean feat for a podcast that's been cooking for as long as yours. This is one of the few fan threads where the posters are overwhelmingly positive about its subject, which is, again, no mean feat.

Thanks for helping to make work bearable.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Poe Damoran, secret Jedi?! You know what guys, you can keep it.

MisterFister
Jul 6, 2003

Sticking it to THE MAN, assuming THE MAN is an innocent casual dining restaurant.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Edit: Saw this was answered already, goddammut.

MisterFister fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 24, 2015

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Conal Cochran posted:

I do think they come as a little too hostile against some of the movie's detractors

I love WHM, but this bugged me about this On Screen. They had their Nerd hats and not their Critic hats on for this episode, which is fine, but I wish they hadn't only brought up contrasting opinions about to movie in order to poo poo on the authors of those opinions. The only point they even tried to rebut was the argument that the movie is "safe," which they didn't do very well IMO (Han Solo is the mentor in this movie, not a main character ala Batman in a Justice League story).

But like I said, they had their Nerd hats on. They compared the movie to other big comic book/franchise blockbuster movies, which is exactly what TFA is, and I'm always glad for more WHM content.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Kylo Ren looks a good bit like Max Landis, which only strengthens the character being a deeply insecure temper tantrum who struggles to live up to his father-figure.

MisterFister
Jul 6, 2003

Sticking it to THE MAN, assuming THE MAN is an innocent casual dining restaurant.

centaurtainment posted:

I love WHM, but this bugged me about this On Screen. They had their Nerd hats and not their Critic hats on for this episode, which is fine, but I wish they hadn't only brought up contrasting opinions about to movie in order to poo poo on the authors of those opinions. The only point they even tried to rebut was the argument that the movie is "safe," which they didn't do very well IMO (Han Solo is the mentor in this movie, not a main character ala Batman in a Justice League story).

But like I said, they had their Nerd hats on. They compared the movie to other big comic book/franchise blockbuster movies, which is exactly what TFA is, and I'm always glad for more WHM content.

I think they always have their nerd hats on? They're not critics, they're funny guys who make fun of bad movies.

MisterFister fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 24, 2015

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Oh my god why did no one tell me Blame it on Outer Space was back.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

MisterFister posted:

I think they always have their nerd hats on?

Dude, they talked about tearing up/crying over Chewbacca groaning after Han dies*.

They weren't wearing their Nerd Hats, they've got Nerd Fedoras on this time.

* I might be getting the specifics wrong, I was getting sleepy at this point and I need to rewatch.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

BlameSpacePod posted:

Well, welcome back to the forums.

I listened to the Hard Target episode again last night after watching the movie, and there were at least 3 separate times I was crying from laughter. The best is the part where Wilford Brimley finds out who (what race) is directing Hard Target.

WHUT?!

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

MisterFister posted:

I think they always have their nerd hats on? They're not critics, they're funny guys who make fun of bad movies.

You're not giving them anywhere near enough credit. They're funny, but they also make legitimate critical points about almost all of the movies they make episodes about, from both film and social studies perspectives.

Also, to be pedantic (this is the internet, after all) this comes from the About page of their website:

quote:

They are comedians, writers, critics, and guys who thought watching movies as a college education wasn't a waste of money.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I'm looking forward to that Rudolph's Golden New Year episode.

Some of those ancillary Rankin-Bass specials get weird.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I'm glad they poo poo all over morons calling Rey a Mary Sue.

Star Wars is good again; deal with it, idiots.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Hockles posted:

Well, welcome back to the forums.

I listened to the Hard Target episode again last night after watching the movie, and there were at least 3 separate times I was crying from laughter. The best is the part where Wilford Brimley finds out who (what race) is directing Hard Target.

WHUT?!

"...Fine."

"Thanks, Obama"

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Mary Sue is one of those terms that has been so diluted by over-use/people projecting their own weird issues on it that these days it basically means "protagonist I don't like"

And Luke Skywalker is way more of a Mary Sue anyways, he's even named after the author for gleep-glop's sake!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sleeveless posted:

Kylo Ren looks a good bit like Max Landis, which only strengthens the character being a deeply insecure temper tantrum who struggles to live up to his father-figure.

and both of their father figures killed younglings. :eyepop:

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I'm looking forward to that Rudolph's Golden New Year episode.

Some of those ancillary Rankin-Bass specials get weird.

animation damnation? i always liked that one sorta. then again the vulture scared the poo poo out of me when i was 5.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 24, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sleeveless posted:

Mary Sue is one of those terms that has been so diluted by over-use/people projecting their own weird issues on it that these days it basically means "protagonist I don't like"

And Luke Skywalker is way more of a Mary Sue anyways, he's even named after the author for gleep-glop's sake!

George Luke S.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

and both of their father figures killed younglings. :eyepop:
:vince:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
The new Blame it on Outer Space is a pro click. The first two ghost stories are spooky as poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Blame Space Pod is back? Excellent!