Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

An impressively fast about-face.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Zero to overzealous banhammer in 17 minutes. Not a record, but an honourable mention.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AlphaKretin posted:

It been a while since I read through the list but I'm fairly confident that a good number of Wikipedia's lamest edit wars involved inappropriate mod intervention.

And if I'm wrong it's an amusing read anyway :v:

quote:

Does her husband merit inclusion in The List of royal consorts of the United Kingdom? (Notice that, until recently, "Royal Consorts of the United Kingdom was a red link, unlike The weather in Liverpool.)

lmao

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

They also tend to delete the user's editing history, which ends up removing any evidence they did anything in the first place. The result is it just looks like some people are banned for no reason out of the blue.

I just remembered, they do this with the drive-by vandals too. So adjacent items on the change log end up being a user registering then immediately getting banned without even appearing like they did anything.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

How about Etsy? I got a perma-mute in the main forums for, out of all things, pointing out some shithead reseller. A ton of the 5yr+ sellers are muted now. Etsy would rather keep their resellers happy than provide a real handmade/vintage site. (I guess I should have known better since most of the articles about them in magazines are full of non-handmade stuff.)

I remember one seller got a perma-mute for saying "Yipee Diane." Right about the time Etsy decided it wanted to be the biggest "handmade" thing anywhere, and obviously only have clean, happy sellers and buyers in the forums, the mods all lost their poo poo and handed out permas left and right.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 00:14 on Dec 24, 2015

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Scathach posted:

I remember one seller got a perma-mute for saying "Yipee Diane."

This always boggles my mind. I think a few people mentioned it in the original Dev Trolls thread too, but weird censorship that doesn't make any sense and that usually has no explanation too. I [i]think[i/] that Silent Hill board I used to post on had strict no swearing rules that extended to non-swearing slang.

It's a game about monster-men, abortions and sodomy if the word "cock" offends you this probably isn't the place to be.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
A Team Fortress 2 group, the Knights of God. They were (are?) a group in Australia, who play TF2 and a few other "approved" games, run by an ultra-religious zealot and his son.
After an Alternative Gamer (Bi/trans/furry/gay/whatever friendly group) person got banned from one of their servers for calling the son a "loving creep" (because the kid sent him - yes, a dude who liked to speak in a falsetto and identified as a woman - some lewd messages over steam) the father went apocalyptic over the "faggots who were tempting his holy warriors" (forum members) with the devils sins and assorted bullshit. Then he banned everyone who was a member of the Alternative group - and then banned the friends of everyone in the group. So I got banned because I was steam friends with one of the staff, at the time. The time that must have taken....

Fake Edit: Oh my god here is the website. It's gold. http://www.knightsogod.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=5dd57b7f1cc284db6786b8942aafe871&action=forum

Fair warning, reading anything by "Agamemnon" will possibly lobotomize you. You may want to turn your sound down or off completely.

Sorry http://www.knightsogod.com/smf/index.php/topic,1025.0.html

princecoo has a new favorite as of 14:37 on Dec 23, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

princecoo posted:

A Team Fortress 2 group, the Knights of God. They were (are?) a group in Australia, who play TF2 and a few other "approved" games, run by an ultra-religious zealot and his son.
After an Alternative Gamer (Bi/trans/furry/gay/whatever friendly group) person got banned from one of their servers for calling the son a "loving creep" (because the kid sent him - yes, a dude who liked to speak in a falsetto and identified as a woman - some lewd messages over steam) the father went apocalyptic over the "faggots who were tempting his holy warriors" (forum members) with the devils sins and assorted bullshit. Then he banned everyone who was a member of the Alternative group - and then banned the friends of everyone in the group. So I got banned because I was steam friends with one of the staff, at the time. The time that must have taken....

Fake Edit: Oh my god here is the website. It's gold. http://www.knightsogod.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=5dd57b7f1cc284db6786b8942aafe871&action=forum

Fair warning, reading anything by "Agamemnon" will possibly lobotomize you. You may want to turn your sound down or off completely.

Thank you, I love these links.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Things like this make me wish I was gay so I could corrupt some holy forum members.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Whoa man, great find. This is solid gold: http://www.knightsogod.com/smf/index.php/topic,684.0.html

60+ year old disabled ex-military veteran seeks young people to game with. My clan, my rules. Take your trousers off.

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
I got banned from the Popjustice forums for liking the "wrong" Radiohead album.

Apparently saying I preferred OK Computer to Kid A was "trolling" because there was no way that could be my real opinion and I was clearly just trying to stir up poo poo.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Axeman Jim posted:

Apparently saying I preferred OK Computer to Kid A was "trolling" because there was no way that could be my real opinion and I was clearly just trying to stir up poo poo.

The best thing is moderators banning people for things you don't even understand. I've never even heard either of those albums or any of their songs, and yet it's a big enough deal to ban users over somewhere.

Reminds me of the whole "Gannon-banned", which was a big, top-tier rule at some Zelda forum or another, where if you spelled Gannon's name as it appeared in the NES game, it was grounds for perma-banning, no questions asked, no exceptions.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Axeman Jim posted:

You in no way deserved to get banned, but I sort of understand how that could happen. Isn't there like an insider's thing among Radiohead fans about Kid A and Amnesia being much better than the other Radiohead albums, and misunderstood by critics who largely gave them poorer ratings than the previous albums? I could see there having been massive flame wars between people with that opinion and more casual fans with the more mainstream opinion (that OK Computer and The Bends are better), to the point where anyone going "OK Computer is better than Kid A" could be seen as trying to start a flame war. Another example would be people innocently coming in to say "the early Manic Street Preachers albums (before Richey disappeared) were by far the best" on a forum for that band and immediately getting dogpiled for being Cult of Richey and trying to start up an old debate. It could probably happen on SA as well, with some newbie coming in to discuss a controversial topic with a long and storied history on the forums, like furries or libertarianism.

Some communities just get very insular to the point of not being very welcoming to the new and uninitiated.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

ikanreed posted:

The best thing is moderators banning people for things you don't even understand. I've never even heard either of those albums or any of their songs, and yet it's a big enough deal to ban users over somewhere.

Reminds me of the whole "Gannon-banned", which was a big, top-tier rule at some Zelda forum or another, where if you spelled Gannon's name as it appeared in the NES game, it was grounds for perma-banning, no questions asked, no exceptions.

Was "Gannon-banned" some weird inside joke with that forum where the banned party could just re-reg? Or were these the types that thought typing his name would give him power and all thought they were spirit-married to Link or something?

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

princecoo posted:

I love that these types are the same that really get in to Crusades imagery.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I don't know if this strictly counts, but YouTube Total War superstar PrinceofMacedon really doesn't want people dissing his favorite historical figure:

quote:

FAVORITE MILITARY COMMANDER: Alexander the Great
________________________________________________________________________________________________

CURRENT PC SPECS:
- Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell Quad-Core 3.6GHz LGA 11
- ASUS Z97-A LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB
- Thermaltake SMART Series SP-650PCBUS 650W ATX 12V
- GeForce GTX 760 (2GB version) videocard from HoC
- (2x) 8GB 1600 MHz RAM chips from HoC
________________________________________________________________________________________________

HOME CITY: Orlando, FL

THE RULES OF MY CHANNEL:
1) Do not disrespect my opponents, my friends, my viewers or Alexander the Great.
2) Play nicely, and I will too.
3) Trolls will be flogged without mercy.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
reading just about anything on that Knights of God clan site where the leader posts is like a window into crazy. I get a real cult vibe out of him.

Also they all seem to think Garrys Mod is the kind of game that bad people play, and if you go through the banned/denied clan applications areas being someone who plays Garrys Mod is at least a contributing factor in whether or not you can be a part of the clan.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Once I got banned from a metal-themed Turntable room for downvoting a non-metal song. :confused:

(no screenshots though, sorry)

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Axeman Jim posted:

I got this on No Mutants Allowed (a Fallout forum) for liking Fallout 3. They won't ban you on site for saying you enjoy the game but they'll give you a warning that doing so is considered trolling and that you're not to do it again.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I love that all of these groups are run by such idiots that they can't even accept another point of view. Like Thing B better than Thing A? Must be a troll, because I don't like Thing B and therefor no one else can!

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Deified Data posted:

I got this on No Mutants Allowed (a Fallout forum) for liking Fallout 3. They won't ban you on site for saying you enjoy the game but they'll give you a warning that doing so is considered trolling and that you're not to do it again.

No Mutants Allowed are the guys who are like, slavishly obsessed with some half finished Fallout 3 prototype that was done in the style of the original two games right? They all went apeshit over the newer series being a FPS?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Deified Data posted:

I thought that, at least before Fallout 3 was released, saying you liked any of the Fallout games was grounds for warning, and liking Fallout Tactics was an instant-ban? I know people who used to post on NMA who were warned because they said they preferred Fallout over Fallout 2, and another who was banned for saying Fallout 2 was his favourite and he couldn't get into Fallout 1.

NMA is pure concentrated hatred in Internet form, is what I'm getting at.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

OldTennisCourt posted:

No Mutants Allowed are the guys who are like, slavishly obsessed with some half finished Fallout 3 prototype that was done in the style of the original two games right? They all went apeshit over the newer series being a FPS?

Van Buren is the prototype of FO3 as by Black Isle, the original developers, before the studio closed and Bethesda picked up the IP to make the actual released FO3.

Notably a tech demo was released to NMA in 2007.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

Weldon Pemberton posted:

You in no way deserved to get banned, but I sort of understand how that could happen. Isn't there like an insider's thing among Radiohead fans about Kid A and Amnesia being much better than the other Radiohead albums, and misunderstood by critics who largely gave them poorer ratings than the previous albums? I could see there having been massive flame wars between people with that opinion and more casual fans with the more mainstream opinion (that OK Computer and The Bends are better), to the point where anyone going "OK Computer is better than Kid A" could be seen as trying to start a flame war. Another example would be people innocently coming in to say "the early Manic Street Preachers albums (before Richey disappeared) were by far the best" on a forum for that band and immediately getting dogpiled for being Cult of Richey and trying to start up an old debate. It could probably happen on SA as well, with some newbie coming in to discuss a controversial topic with a long and storied history on the forums, like furries or libertarianism.

Some communities just get very insular to the point of not being very welcoming to the new and uninitiated.

I am a huge Radiohead fan and I actively dislike the majority of Kid A, idgaf what the superfan consensus is. But then, there are few groups as petty, pedantic, and idiotic as those who get really serious about popular music. Probably only gamers and audiophiles are worse.

The human ability to get into a slapfight about literally anything is actually kind of amazing.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Van Buren is the prototype of FO3 as by Black Isle, the original developers, before the studio closed and Bethesda picked up the IP to make the actual released FO3.

Notably a tech demo was released to NMA in 2007.

Bonus points for their anger when it was later hinted that Troika (another game company that went out of business down the line) almost got the rights to the game, but were outbid by Bethesda. So the half-made version of Fallout 3 gets binned, a developer that they'd like didn't get it, and then a developer they really didn't like got it.

For my own content, I remember long ago being banned from a Transformers site (can't remember what it is) for liking Beast Machines, the transformers tv show after Beast Wars. The reason I was banned because after disagreeing with one of the moderators that Bob Skir was not a devil who completely disrespects the canon of Transformers, every post in a thread I made randomly changed to a series of IHATEPENIS over and over again, if they weren't being edited into smilies.

I remember reexamining some of those Transformers shows later on, and found that the general consensus had shifted from "Beast Machines was horrible and terrible" to "yeah, Beast Machines wasn't bad". VINDICATION, fuckers.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MisterBibs posted:

Bonus points for their anger when it was later hinted that Troika (another game company that went out of business down the line) almost got the rights to the game, but were outbid by Bethesda. So the half-made version of Fallout 3 gets binned, a developer that they'd like didn't get it, and then a developer they really didn't like got it.

Hah, Troika's games were more broken than Bethesda's.

MisterBibs posted:

I remember reexamining some of those Transformers shows later on, and found that the general consensus had shifted from "Beast Machines was horrible and terrible" to "yeah, Beast Machines wasn't bad". VINDICATION, fuckers.

Man, finally. I never watched Beast Wars in my life but I grew up watching recordings of Transformers reruns and a VHS of Beast Machines. Was always a little down over Beast Machines getting so much flak.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Yeah, I remember being confused when I discovered so many people disliked a show actually trying new things and introducing the concept of character development and story arcs to Transformers. But that might actually explain things. People in insular online communities are very opposed to change in their pet media, and likes and dislikes of shows, episodes, and characters become magnified through repetition. Mild opinions people may have had when watching or playing something are turned into rabid obsessions barely connected to their actual experience of the thing.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Scathach posted:

I love that all of these groups are run by such idiots that they can't even accept another point of view. Like Thing B better than Thing A? Must be a troll, because I don't like Thing B and therefor no one else can!

To be fair, the people saying The Bends was their favorite Radiohead album were actually trolling.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax
Years and years ago, a forum I posted at got a redesign that included a giant sidebar. The sidebar was a fixed width, so at a fairly standard (at the time) 1024x768 resolution it took up about a quarter of the screen, and there was no option to disable it. If you talked about the sidebar you got banned, and one subforum even got deleted for being a hotbed of anti-sidebar sentiment. The really funny part about this last bit is that all the moderators gathered in the admin's hotel room at a gaming convention to watch and film the deletion of this most vile of subforums, and someone even took a picture:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm the guy deathstaring the camera with his arms crossed.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
That is completely hilarious. :D

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Practical Demon posted:

Yeah, I remember being confused when I discovered so many people disliked a show actually trying new things and introducing the concept of character development and story arcs to Transformers. But that might actually explain things. People in insular online communities are very opposed to change in their pet media, and likes and dislikes of shows, episodes, and characters become magnified through repetition. Mild opinions people may have had when watching or playing something are turned into rabid obsessions barely connected to their actual experience of the thing.

Beast Wars had character development and story arcs... :confused:

Most of the flak Beast Machines got probably boiled down to it being a direct follow-up to BW that promptly tossed out most of its baggage, upended whatever was left, and, at least as I've always heard it told, the writers were explicitly instructed to write the show in complete ignorance of its predecessor. So you had a show that was presumably trying to draw in BW fans and then promptly alienated them.

As a standalone product it probably holds up alright.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 07:27 on Dec 24, 2015

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

When I was a sophomore some IT guy was hanging out in the private campus-wide dc++ chat room and straight up revoked my internet privileges, banning me from emailing my professors or turning in homework, because I said Macintosh computers were bad and wouldn't apologize. I will hate mac users until the day I die for this.

e: I bought two loving zunes because of this. I knew they were crap but what choice did I have? I wasn't going to give in. Not ever.

Nah I'm fine now I got a used ipod and everything. But I missed the steve jobs is god thing and I honestly don't get it after having held my breath for a decade.

Krinkle has a new favorite as of 09:19 on Dec 24, 2015

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

little munchkin posted:

To be fair, the people saying The Bends was their favorite Radiohead album were actually trolling.

Nice try

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

Years and years ago, a forum I posted at got a redesign that included a giant sidebar. The sidebar was a fixed width, so at a fairly standard (at the time) 1024x768 resolution it took up about a quarter of the screen, and there was no option to disable it. If you talked about the sidebar you got banned, and one subforum even got deleted for being a hotbed of anti-sidebar sentiment. The really funny part about this last bit is that all the moderators gathered in the admin's hotel room at a gaming convention to watch and film the deletion of this most vile of subforums, and someone even took a picture:

Ah, Unmod. You sent me on a crazy nostalgia trip

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
In Goonfleet we used to have squads and I ended up as the leader for a bit. This gave me mod powers over our tiny squad forum. Ford Cruller, the previous leader, deleted a bunch of stuff and made a stickied thread saying that Pi squad was now sfw. Using my new mod powers I altered the thread title and message, and inserted an in-joke pic with goatse paint.net'd in. (my finest work). I had Fords userpic and title changed.

NWS goatse http://i.imgur.com/1MNr7.jpg
I lost my mod powers.

That's the only time I have ever had moderator powers and will probably be the last. It was fun but like I said; a very tiny-sub-sub forum made up of some good goons. I couldn't imagine how terrible it would be to moderate SA or even worse, popular sites for minors. The poo poo they must deal with.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
So I saw that Wikia just updated its terms of service this month. Anyone able to confirm that it's because of the Silent Bris incident?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

runwiled posted:

Ah, Unmod. You sent me on a crazy nostalgia trip

That would be the one! Lots of good times and bad posts were had there. I bet a "PYF Old Dead Forum (Outside of SA)" thread would be fun.

Another mad moderation memory from that time and place: in the more moderated subforums, if you called out another poster on breaking forum rules/posting poorly, then you would be punished for "minimodding", a vaguely defined offense that boiled down to "a mod didn't like you". IIRC the second-most-prolific poster on the forum ended up getting banned for this.

The guy was a douchebag that everyone hated, but unfortunately that was perfectly legal.

• Locked thread