Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
A guy called in who had his 2yo in childcare and both parents worked full time, as in one of those "early learning" places where you drop your kid off in the morning and the staff there look after a gaggle of kids all day and you pick them up in the evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah it was pretty out-of-touch. I mean, they weren't wrong--the kid probably is stressed out about going there / feels abandoned--but kids get like that at the drop of a hat and it would have been good to talk about matters of degree and ways to mitigate etc. instead of tilting at the foregone conclusion that both parents are working.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I don't care one way or the other I was just confused -- why is that bar crawl ad done with homestar runner voices?

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

pangstrom posted:

I don't care one way or the other I was just confused -- why is that bar crawl ad done with homestar runner voices?

I was wondering the exact same thing. Very bizarre .

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

I finally watched Road Hard, which was streaming on Amazon Prime.

It was not an unwatchable movie but it is just a generic comedy movie with a generic mid-late 90s comedy movie formula. You could swap out Adam Carolla with Adam Sandler or David Spade and it wouldn't be out of place. The 55% tomatometer rating is pretty spot on.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I like how he won't shut the gently caress up about the Newman documentary, and basically still won't stop talking about the Rotten Tomatoes rating for the Hammer but he basically never mentions Road Hard.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The Newman doc was decent

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

visuvius posted:

I like how he won't shut the gently caress up about the Newman documentary, and basically still won't stop talking about the Rotten Tomatoes rating for the Hammer but he basically never mentions Road Hard.

does matt atchity still come on? if so it's probably only because he told adam to stop questioning the rating of his lovely movie

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
I haven't listened to the main show in probably a year by now, prior to dropping off I had been listening to literally every episode every day since the beginning since I segued right to it from the radio show.

I noticed Brian Posehn is going to be a guest, I'll listen to that one and see how it is. My expectations are low though.

Update: I couldn't even listen to the part where Brian Posehn was on the show. I completely tuned out when I heard a segment I'd never heard before "Coach Platitude" and it was just so uncreative and predictable I had to tap out.

Prior to that part the whole show was like 30% ads.

Kaptain K fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 5, 2015

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Dang, I'd just decided the show was still crap and would go back to not bothering, but I see Adam has Ted Cruz on today and Donny Trump tomorrow.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

Please report back about how much he loves both of them.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
He loves trump a lot, though i don't think he actually loves anything about his policy.

ACE AWARDS ARE GOOD THOUGh!

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Whoa, is this the bitter and pissy Carolla haters thread?

I just started listening and I'm enjoying it alot. It's pretty classic American humor, but he makes me laugh pretty consistently.

edit: reading this thread is incredible. He's the American the world loves to hate, full of himself and his country. Xenophobic and uneducated, made himself rich and now lecturing to people he pays to sit next to him and listen. He's smart and I find him funny, I like much of his commentary.. but he's just another loud-mouth Yank who's sure the solar system revolves around the US. I'd still like to drink some cocktails with him because I'm sure it would be fun.. but I don't think about it like listening to This American Life or The Skeptics Guide to the Universe.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Dec 22, 2015

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Most of us grew up on Loveline and remember when he wasn't such a piece of poo poo. That's why we hate it now and bemoan the state of Carolla.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Apoplexy posted:

Most of us grew up on Loveline and remember when he wasn't such a piece of poo poo. That's why we hate it now and bemoan the state of Carolla.

We also got sick of Adam repeating the same jokes repeatedly and becoming a hypocrite. I was a die hard Carolla fan - living in Michigan I would download his California radio show, then hopped aboard his podcast right away. The dynamic he had initially with Brian and Teresa was great, they'd discuss things and have legitimate debates. Brian became more of a Yes Man, and Teresa went on to do other things and was replaced by Alison. Alison still had a personality but was less of an opponent than Teresa was. Then she got fired and the replacement is a bobblehead.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
Pretty much what they said. Bitter isnt a bad word but disappointed may be better. If youre a new carolla fan then maybe the show is for you, but for fans of loveline and also his radio show (which was great) the podcast just isnt that good.

Combine that with his hard right swing and his old fans just arent with him anymore.

Honestly if you are enjoying the podcast I would recommend you download his old radio show instead as it is vastly better. Carolla is actually a very good host and interviewer but he needs a producer to plan for him.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Go find the earlier ace awards and you'll see the difference.

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008
I loved the radio show. I would download it and listen to it at my stupid restaurant prep cook job, which would get me through a good half or so of my shift. Or on my days off I would listen live and do chores and smoke pot.

I've listened to a couple full episodes over the last couple years and it's a LOT to listen to if you've gotten used to podcasts that last 45 minutes to an hour and a half.

And stuff like this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q2ZMcZRGdY

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Man if carolla represents “classic American humor” to the uk we're pretty hosed

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

by classic do you mean those old bugs bunny cartoons with the over the top racist caricatures?

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I liked Adam a lot more when I was an angry teenage libertarian who agreed with his viewpoints but now that I'm older and developed empathy I can't really listen to the average show without getting pissed off.

For awhile I used to kind of enjoy hating Adam's anti-progressive viewpoints but eventually it wasn't a novelty anymore.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Tony Montana posted:

I just started listening and I'm enjoying it alot. It's pretty classic American humor, but he makes me laugh pretty consistently.

edit: reading this thread is incredible. He's the American the world loves to hate, full of himself and his country. Xenophobic and uneducated, made himself rich and now lecturing to people he pays to sit next to him and listen. He's smart and I find him funny, I like much of his commentary.. but he's just another loud-mouth Yank who's sure the solar system revolves around the US. I'd still like to drink some cocktails with him because I'm sure it would be fun.. but I don't think about it like listening to This American Life or The Skeptics Guide to the Universe.

if you're american you're a jingoistic rear end in a top hat and if you're not then you fetishize some of the worst aspects of american culture hth

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Riptor posted:

if you're american you're a jingoistic rear end in a top hat and if you're not then you fetishize some of the worst aspects of american culture hth

Umm all he said was he finds an entertainer entertaining. You sound like a huge retarded rear end in a top hat.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

Umm all he said was he finds an entertainer entertaining. You sound like a huge retarded rear end in a top hat.
I mean I wouldn't have said fetishizing but the gist is pretty accurate

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
The ratio of funny/anger in Adam Carolla is all hosed now.

After listening to him for twenty years he's always better when he's in therapy.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

Adam was best on the radio because Jack Silver was preventing him from just saying whatever he felt like compared to now where nobody can interrupt him or disagree with him.

edit: wingbowl kills in philly

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
I stopped listening to this show ~5 years ago because of how awful it was and every now and then i think about how people are still listening to it and the idea is really funny to me

CatfishClyde
Jul 22, 2001
Orange Rhyming Dictionary
yeah we all hate him/his show/what he's become so much we are compelled to post about it daily, even if we don't listen anymore

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

CatfishClyde posted:

yeah we all hate him/his show/what he's become so much we are compelled to post about it daily, even if we don't listen anymore

remember when he used to say "That's a helmet, not a chair" on loveline? that was funny

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

JB50 and Irish Joe still roll through to voice support from time to time, but you can tell when that's happened because there's suddenly 50+ posts in a thread usually good for ~5 a month

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

WEH posted:

JB50 and Irish Joe still roll through to voice support from time to time, but you can tell when that's happened because there's suddenly 50+ posts in a thread usually good for ~5 a month

I still listen to every podcast, but I skip the live shows.

Judging from his advertisers he still one of the most popular podcasts around, despite what goons may say.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

JB50 posted:

Judging from his advertisers he still one of the most popular podcasts around, despite what goons may say.

Does he still get blitzed during them? But yeah, he's definitely found his niche and is milking it for everything it's worth

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy

JB50 posted:

Just like Jeff Dunham, Larry the Cable Guy, The Voice, and Dancing with the stars the most popular things are usually the best

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

JB50 posted:

I do the same thing. I don't agree with all his politics (I especially don't have his burning hatred for poor people), but you can't deny he's very quick witted. My main complaint with the show is him repeating the same old poo poo about Gavin Newsom, "grit", or "focus on the family". The show with him and Rainn Wilson both calling David Koechner to schedule a dinner on the same day was one of the funniest podcasts I've heard this year.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Grant DaNasty posted:

I do the same thing. I don't agree with all his politics (I especially don't have his burning hatred for poor people), but you can't deny he's very quick witted. My main complaint with the show is him repeating the same old poo poo about Gavin Newsom, "grit", or "focus on the family". The show with him and Rainn Wilson both calling David Koechner to schedule a dinner on the same day was one of the funniest podcasts I've heard this year.

You left out Huff Po from your bingo sheet.

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

Tony Montana posted:

My primary beef with him is that he's too repetitive. He has a decent sized following that he can consistently rely upon but his lack of evolution ensures that he won't really grow beyond what he probably got from the 2009-2011 era when podcasts were still somewhat of a novelty (vs. everyone and their dog having one now).

You might say that he would be fine with that but he clearly isn't. The past couple years, he's become really bitter and angry and I suspect the root of it is that he is spinning his wheels career-wise. Pushing Mangria and his latest ghostwritten book got old a long time ago and he doesn't like that this will likely be his future.

I think he has the potential to do well by doing more than what he does now (like his Newman documentary) but like the title says, he's just a pirate ship and as a result will never really have the opportunities to really grow. He's on his own, with the occasional Family Guy guest spot.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Was there anything good in his interviews with those two Prez candidates?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I don't really understand the lofty heights that Carolla is bitter about not reaching/being a part of. Do you mean a Letterman style TV personality? He's made a ton of money.. by any measure he is successful. What is wrong with doing your own thing and not having to answer to the execs and still making plenty of bank. He answers to noone, it certainly sounds that way. He doesn't seem to be the kind of person that would be happy towing the network line.

He's a comic, I would have thought he's done most of what any comic wants to do. He played football and worked construction. We're not talking about some amazing mind going to waste.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Tony Montana posted:

I don't really understand the lofty heights that Carolla is bitter about not reaching/being a part of. Do you mean a Letterman style TV personality? He's made a ton of money.. by any measure he is successful. What is wrong with doing your own thing and not having to answer to the execs and still making plenty of bank. He answers to noone, it certainly sounds that way. He doesn't seem to be the kind of person that would be happy towing the network line.

He's a comic, I would have thought he's done most of what any comic wants to do. He played football and worked construction. We're not talking about some amazing mind going to waste.

He still thinks he's better than a lot of celebrities out there (And even though I'm sick of him, there was some truth to that before). For example - he's almost always a "fill in" on Jimmy Kimmel, rather than being a featured guest. I think this burns him more than he lets on - not only is he not a primary guest, it's on his friend's show. I think he thinks he should be where Jimmy is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

rotinaj posted:

Was there anything good in his interviews with those two Prez candidates?

No :saddowns:. Both guys phoned it in (literally) for about 10 minutes and worked their sound bites. I hoped for some Gavin Newsom action, but I'm sure there was a press agent waiting with their finger on the button, and Carolla doesn't really have a beef with any of their policies.

I don't recall if Adam did his "I'm gonna ask you question, and tell me if you agree with me" thing.