Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

simonwolf posted:

So I'm in the final chapter of the game, wanting to get as much done as I can - does anyone have suggestions for how I can make some crazy amounts of cash money? The usefulness of some of the gambling items seems mollified by their one-use nature, but I assume gambling is my best way forward.

Two options. Gambling with the cheat items is the quickest and easiest way to get a ton of money. Or, if you want to do everything, go ahead and beat the game, which (at least in the previous games, I suppose it's possible it doesn't happen in this one) will give you a pretty hefty amount of cash depending on how many times you used a continue. Not using a single one in previous games gave you a full million yen to use in Premium Adventure mode, where you can explore around and finish sidequests to your heart's content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

How does the premium adventure cash work? Does each character get a million, is it split 5 ways, is it only for the finale?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

projecthalaxy posted:

How does the premium adventure cash work? Does each character get a million, is it split 5 ways, is it only for the finale?

It works like the final chapter of the game, except Haruka is also there. All the money is pooled between the characters like a joint bank account, and the million is added to that. Other than that, the game is functionally identical to the freeroam sections at the end of the game, you can take a cab to each characters' respective city, complete minigames and work toward 100% completion just like in the normal game. Except most importantly, you can also have your characters wear alternate costumes, in case you wanted to have Shinada wearing Kiryu's suit, or dress Haruka up as Hatsune Miku.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Crappy Jack posted:

It works like the final chapter of the game, except Haruka is also there. All the money is pooled between the characters like a joint bank account, and the million is added to that. Other than that, the game is functionally identical to the freeroam sections at the end of the game, you can take a cab to each characters' respective city, complete minigames and work toward 100% completion just like in the normal game. Except most importantly, you can also have your characters wear alternate costumes, in case you wanted to have Shinada wearing Kiryu's suit, or dress Haruka up as Hatsune Miku.

Ooh, neat. Yeah I haven't gotten to the finale yet, I wasn't aware you could go back to the other cities, I thought it would all be Kamurocho. I'm excited to both finish the game and start NG+, especially since I get more bonuses in NG+ for my compete Yakuza 4 save, which is always a nice feature in a sequel.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I think I'm nearing the end of Kiryu's section, and I'm doing some of the last races against Devil Killers. Man, pretty much every thing about Nakajima makes him my favorite person in the series.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
This game is predicated on the idea that grown men should be allowed to cry.

I mean 4 had a few of those moments but this just goes for the throat at every opportunity.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DivisionPost posted:

This game is predicated on the idea that grown men should be allowed to cry.

I mean 4 had a few of those moments but this just goes for the throat at every opportunity.
Losing a slot car race in Zero almost makes Kiryu cry.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
alright one of you wrote the line in Shinada's substory about getting screwed by Vietnamese dong and I demand to know who, because I think that tops "I peacocked your mom". Not as good as "I did feel like hitting a few balls", but close.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Samurai Sanders posted:

Losing a slot car race in Zero almost makes Kiryu cry.

Wait it has slot cars? Holy poo poo it really is the ultimate 80s movie set in Asia game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_aphEVpBXk#t=28m22s

AHAHA even the music, I can't wait for Yakuza 0 to be here, I can't wait to play this.

90ssegamusic.wav https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_aphEVpBXk#t=53m08s

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 23, 2015

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Whoever decided to gate Shinada's training behind the loving UFO catcher machines needs to be thrown off the Yakuza 0 team.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Question about Sane Taxi missions: if one of those random pedestrians runs out in front of the taxi, am I still penalized for slamming on the brakes?

Unlucky7 posted:

I just saw the Essence of Face Grating heat action.

Jesus Christ :stonklol:
Wait until you see the taxi door one. I occasionally let my daughter watch me play, and we both thought the face grinding one was kind of funny. When I earned the taxi door one through a revelation, she asked if we could stop playing Yakuza for a while. :gonk:

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
You told her 'no', right?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

The Macaroni posted:

Question about Sane Taxi missions: if one of those random pedestrians runs out in front of the taxi, am I still penalized for slamming on the brakes?
You bet! But it's only -1, and hitting someone is only -4, so it doesn't really matter as long as you do everything else right and reach the destination quickly enough.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

The Macaroni posted:

Wait until you see the taxi door one. I occasionally let my daughter watch me play, and we both thought the face grinding one was kind of funny. When I earned the taxi door one through a revelation, she asked if we could stop playing Yakuza for a while. :gonk:

At least faces don't get horribly bruised and hosed up during fights like in 4.

I kinda missed that actually.

Oh, and I remember someone posting something that helps with shogi a few pages back. Anyone still have that link? I have no idea what I'm doing.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Just finished off 5 myself. That was 64 hours of... something. I'm going to rashly say this one was my second to least favorite.

Stelas posted:

Whoever decided to gate Shinada's training behind the loving UFO catcher machines needs to be thrown off the Yakuza 0 team.
This goes for the "eat a food good for the eyes but I'm not telling you which food" training as well. Got tired of getting into battles to purposely lose health in order to hit up restaurants trying to find that one elusive meal.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Seajima's early chapters feel like a real slog, I keep putting the game down as a result. I want to get back to wandering around cities and this just keeps dragging on.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I still am kind of baffled that they keep including the meals for completion but offering no way to easily eat them. In previous games, you could go on a date and it'd let you order as much food as you could afford but they fixed that for this one so sometimes I just get into fights and do nothing for a minute so I take enough damage to get something out of it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Policenaut posted:

I still am kind of baffled that they keep including the meals for completion but offering no way to easily eat them. In previous games, you could go on a date and it'd let you order as much food as you could afford but they fixed that for this one so sometimes I just get into fights and do nothing for a minute so I take enough damage to get something out of it.
That's what the appetite stimulation consumable is for. As far as I recall, it's a new addition---in the older games you could consume the raw fishing bait to knock a hp or two off so you could pound back another bowl of noodles or whatever. Here the whatever-the-gently caress-it's-called takes you for a hefty chunk of hp, which lets you polish off three or four dishes at a go.

Still not as convenient as binge eating when quote dating unquote hostesses, but whatevs.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

pick-e posted:

This goes for the "eat a food good for the eyes but I'm not telling you which food" training as well. Got tired of getting into battles to purposely lose health in order to hit up restaurants trying to find that one elusive meal.

The strawberry parfait at Cafe Alps specifically mentions the compounds he talks about in its description.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

For real I gave up on the whole trying to decipher cryptic hints trash back with Dead Souls, so I just have PSTrophies' completion guide and a Google translated Yakuza 5 wiki open on my phone while I play. Sorry, mountain spirit I'm not guessing what offering you want I'm just gonna look at this wiki.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014

Policenaut posted:

At least they stopped doing the whole morning/night menu thing. Still haven't 100%'d Yakuza 2's food list because of how few opportunities there are to get the morning meals.

Stelas posted:

The strawberry parfait at Cafe Alps specifically mentions the compounds he talks about in its description.
I cleaned out that places whole menu and unless I was advancing text really fast Shinada didn't say a thing about it. I mean it's still my fault for not reading every piece of foods description, but for all the babying 5 does my expectations were set on it mentioning I had completed "x task".

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Went to karaoke as Haruka thinking it might boost her singing, since street battles only boost performance. It didn't. However, the second song I tried was Machine Gun Kiss, thinking maybe they had her sing it. Instead, she sat on the couch clapping and cheering along. I don't think there's a whole lot in these games that's sadder than Haruka sitting alone in karaoke in a place where she's away from her family and cheering "ojii-san" to a song she knows he sings. :(

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

pick-e posted:

I cleaned out that places whole menu and unless I was advancing text really fast Shinada didn't say a thing about it.

No, I mean, it's on the 'shop' description of the food. Pretty sure he should go 'right Coach's mission complete' or whatever too. You will have to eat it 'again' if you had already eaten it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
In part 2 once you leave the hunting village can you go back without missing anything? It asks you to confirm twice so it seemed kind of final.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Sindai posted:

In part 2 once you leave the hunting village can you go back without missing anything? It asks you to confirm twice so it seemed kind of final.

You can go back until they give you a bunch of "HEY WRAP poo poo UP" prompts in the city. You're fine to leave when you want.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

man nurse posted:

Seajima's early chapters feel like a real slog, I keep putting the game down as a result. I want to get back to wandering around cities and this just keeps dragging on.

Same here. I flew through all of Kiryu's chapter, including all of the side content I could find, pretty quickly. I've been slowly chipping away at Saejima's, because both the prison and the hunting village feel really dull. I love goofing off in between story missions in these games and you're given almost no opportunity to do so in this chapter. I finally just now got into the city, after what felt like hours. The hunting missions really don't do anything for me.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

The worst part of Saejima's chapter is that they make you take off the santa costume.

Gotta admit I skipped all the hunting quests though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I'm gunning for 100% so I did all of them in one sitting and it was really boring and kinda lame, but I came out of it with 1.4 million sooooooo mission accomplished?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

The hunting quests were great for me because I played them as a chill out thing, especially the side stuff where you just had to get skins and poo poo.

Haruka's side stuff is really dragging for me, though.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I personally enjoyed the hunting substory since it was something new. While playing as Kiryuu, it was kind of "been there done that" since I've played this series since Yakuza 1 and racing and taxi driving didn't really do it for me.

I think the way 4 made Kiryuu the last playable character worked better since by that time you're itching to play Kiryuu again after getting a fresh new experience of 3 new characters and fight styles.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I love the Haruka stuff because I have no shame. The hunting is good, especially considering it's just a minigame, but it is kind of dull at the same time. Racing is dull but the actual driving around town is fun for me.

I'm not American so I don't appreciate anything about the baseball with its fouls, curveballs, fastballs or whatever it, it's just foreign to me and I don't have a clue what stealing signs is. The minigame itself is quite fun though. gently caress having to catch a Marlin to finish the training for it though.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Jesus this comedy mini game is loving impossible

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Captain Novolin posted:

When I first saw it I thought it would be easy but the timing requirements are so precise compared to other similar things in Japanese games it's nuts.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Captain Novolin posted:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/yimbocarimbo/RGG/Games/RGG5/Minigames/MinigamesTsukkomiArtisan.htm

That page tells you what to be listening for. Try to hit the listed button right as the guy's speaking the last syllable and you should win.

Also, I just did the Amon fights. Holy gently caress, that last one was bullshit. I won, but I had to use pretty much all of my stamiman royale & spark stash because the dickhead spent half the fight invincible in dragon rage mode.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Is Yakuza 5 an okay game to start with for someone whose never played one before ? Do I need to play the others first ?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
It always helps to start with earlier games, but it isn't necessary. There are decent Let's Plays out there for them, and the game has a way to recap the stories in the game's main menu. The only thing I will say is that some of the extraneous stuff that isn't punching folks seems to drag a bit, but it's still perfectly fine.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I complained about this yesterday, but ugh. Get me off of this mountain. I don't care for this driving and hunting stuff and I feel like it should be regulated to optional side activities, not forced into the main game like this. The previous games didn't have entire chapters dedicated to teaching you how to do mini games. I want to get back to cities and beating up dudes and crime drama intrigue. This is completely boring.

I'm dreading Haruka's chapter at this point. The game picks up again, right?

Edit: Alright, made it back to civilization and immediately found a misadventure involving pocket warmers. Things are good again. Cripes, what a slog this entire part was.

man nurse fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 24, 2015

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

It is optional, you can just leave dude. That poo poo will be there to do later.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Zaggitz posted:

It is optional, you can just leave dude. That poo poo will be there to do later.

I left as soon as it let me. But laying on an extended hunting tutorial right after the bog of the prison stuff was just such a pace-killer.

On a happier note, holy poo poo at the ramen delivery sidequest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Random Hajile posted:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/yimbocarimbo/RGG/Games/RGG5/Minigames/MinigamesTsukkomiArtisan.htm

That page tells you what to be listening for. Try to hit the listed button right as the guy's speaking the last syllable and you should win.

Also, I just did the Amon fights. Holy gently caress, that last one was bullshit. I won, but I had to use pretty much all of my stamiman royale & spark stash because the dickhead spent half the fight invincible in dragon rage mode.

I've been using the guide and i always gently caress it up just enough that I get a 77 or 78 :negative:

• Locked thread