Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Ghostlight posted:

Karl is a German auditor Star Citizen fanatic who was posting in the thread in defense of Star Citizen.

Beyond that it is easier to tell you who Karl is not. He is not the German auditor Star Citizen fanatic on the official Star Citizen forums that happens to share a name with the twitter account Karl posted here as his own - this is verifiable because that poster has spent thousands of dollars on Star Citizen while Karl's ships were all gifted to him by his brother. He is not the German auditor Star Citizen fanatic on reddit that posts extensively about how unfairly Karl was treated by SA, because that is a woman. He is also not her father who happens to be a German auditor, just in case you were thinking that might be the case. In fact, every redditor who is German and an auditor and interested in Star Citizen is definitely not Karl, nor the obvious sock puppet accounts that jump to the defense of any German auditor Star Citizenite posting in r/DerekSmart.

All we really know for sure about Karl is he can go gently caress himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Piece from the Farticle :

A huge milestone towards achieving this goal was the release of Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 earlier this month, with the ability to play in a huge area (the biggest yet in gaming thanks to 64 bit floating point positional coordinates) and offering up all of these exciting options in that world: walking around a space station on foot or boarding a space ship by yourself or with friends… walk around that ship and/or have your friends man various stations while you are flying… fly thousands or even hundreds of thousands of kilometers, engage in ship to ship combat against AI or other players, exit your ship to EVA and explore space stations… engage in FPS combat (on foot or in EVA), rescue stranded players, perform various missions. All of this happens seamlessly without loading screens at a fidelity and scale that has not been seen before in any game.

Can someone confirm how much of this is true? And how much is carefully worded bs?
Just the ones I know of off the top of my head:

- Biggest area in gaming: false, but exactly what beats it depends on what he means. Elite has a far larger world (not E:D — Elite… the one from '84). EVE has far larger local grids (ranging from 16Mm to 100Mm across).
- Fidelity: inherently false. “Fidelity” assumes that there is something real to replicate; nothing in SC has even the slightest connection to reality. Its physics would make Aristotle go “yeah, you've misunderstood something here…” and he'd be right — never mind anyone who's born after Newton.
- Scale: what does he mean? If it's just a repetition of “biggest” then it is false for the same reason as before.
- Seamlessness: if he just means a lack of loading screens, then EVE is once again more seamless. Also, you have to wonder how much is them just hiding loading behind their omnipresent canned animations…

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

quote:

80,000 backers have explored Crusader in 2.0 in the week since its launch.

That's really, really bad unless the population of actual backers is far lower than even the most conservative estimates. Frankly I wonder if there are even 200K paying backers.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012
Well, that seemed to work. Post on SA, get a near-instant response

quote:

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience with this ticket.

We have reviewed your account status and regret that we are not able to accommodate your request for a refund since it was received outside of the statutory 30 day period.

Your pledge was made as part of the crowdfunding campaign to raise funds for the development of “Star Citizen.” As such you were aware that the funds would be actively applied after receipt for this purpose, not idly maintained in a bank account, and therefore could not be subject to a refund once used. As you may know from the extensive information on our website Robertsspaceindustries.com, Cloud Imperium Games has been working diligently over the past 3 years on the development of the game, and now employs over 260 staff in four studios. 2,538 reports, updates and web shows have been made available during this time, and first modules with limited gameplay were offered as early as in fall of 2013 – by now hundreds of thousands of gameplay hours have been played on our servers. The development of the game is proceeding steadily, and a substantial part of the promised game offering dozens of gameplay hours has been made available to the backers in early release versions (see further detail below).

Pursuant to the terms of your agreement (see Sec. 4 of the Commercial Terms, and Sec. IV.A of the subsequent Terms of Service, as applicable, https://robertsspaceindustries.com/tos), your payment was a deposit to be used for the “Game Cost” (as defined therein), and such deposit has since been “earned by CIG and become non-refundable to the extent that it is used for the Game Cost...” You further agreed to “irrevocably waive any claim for refund of any deposit amount that has been used for the Game Cost and Pledge Item Cost in accordance with the above.” The only exception would be a return of unearned funds remaining in case of an abandonment of the project. If you pledged on Kickstarter, you agreed to these terms when you transferred your pledge account to robertsspaceindustries.com.

These terms are consistent with the specific nature of crowdfunding and the foreseeable use of your pledge – we hope you appreciate that we cannot ask our hard working personnel to return some of their salary nor that it would be appropriate to use current backers’ funds provided for game development as a refund for an earlier and committed pledge.

While a substantive part of the promised gameplay is now available, we acknowledge that delivery of some game elements has been delayed due to expansion of Star Citizen’s scope. This expansion is a result of the community’s declared desire to have the initial release version of the game developed to a much greater depth than contemplated originally upon start of the campaign. It is inherent to the nature of crowdfunding that such an adjustment to the project may occur. Ultimately, this will benefit all backers including yourself, since every backer will be receiving a much greater value for his/her pledge, but it may – as in this case – cause an extension of the delivery dates.

We acknowledge that some individual backers may find the additional wait undesirable. However, as per Sec. VII of the ToS, you did “acknowledge and agree that delivery as of such date is not a promise by RSI since unforeseen events may extend the development and/or production time.”

We’d like to point you to the significant gameplay which is now available; https://robertsspaceindustries.com/feature-list and if you haven't already, we encourage you to download the installer from this url: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/download and patch up to play the latest version of the game.

Star Citizen is a project for gamers, by gamers. Delays and changes are always unfortunate, but in our case they are also one of the reasons the project is so special. By financing the project using crowd funding, our team is not beholden to a publisher who would insist we ship a game unfinished or broken to meet a particular date. Thanks to continued backing of our community, we have the needed creative freedom over the project, to create a unique game, and we feel the results, such as unparalleled immersion and fidelity, are already speaking for themselves!

We sincerely hope you enjoy the updates both current and future in the Star Citizen 'Verse.

Thank you.
RSI Customer Service Management

Blah blah blah. I responded with a statement of the fact that they have refunded many others to the tune of thousands of dollars, including people who didn't request refunds, that I had not agreed to any of the Terms of Service changes that they quote, that they had failed to deliver the game as described when I backed originally, and that should they not refund me my $40, that I would contact my bank and instruct them to initiate a chargeback. As an alternative to that, they could just give me my $40 back.

Hey Derek, what else should I go after them with?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Tippis posted:

Just the ones I know of off the top of my head:

- Biggest area in gaming: false, but exactly what beats it depends on what he means. Elite has a far larger world (not E:D — Elite… the one from '84). EVE has far larger local grids (ranging from 16Mm to 100Mm across).
- Fidelity: inherently false. “Fidelity” assumes that there is something real to replicate; nothing in SC has even the slightest connection to reality. Its physics would make Aristotle go “yeah, you've misunderstood something here…” and he'd be right — never mind anyone who's born after Newton.
- Scale: what does he mean? If it's just a repetition of “biggest” then it is false for the same reason as before.
- Seamlessness: if he just means a lack of loading screens, then EVE is once again more seamless. Also, you have to wonder how much is them just hiding loading behind their omnipresent canned animations…

Someone needs to make a youtube video of the points listed in the article and just cut to shots of cr looking confused and angry at his computer trying to get all of it to work.
Crickets in the background and canned laughter.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Avalanche posted:

Ahahahaha hooolllyyy poo poo:

Yes it is cause you said it isn't dipshit.

This thing reads almost like an embedded confession.

this reads like the villain at the end of a movie screaming as he's shoved into the back of a police car.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's really, really bad unless the population of actual backers is far lower than even the most conservative estimates. Frankly I wonder if there are even 200K paying backers.

When Sandi said they were "going wide" for 2016 I just thought she was talking about Lesnick

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If it got out (cue Derek saying he has the figures in his magical briefcase) that only 200k people had pledged for Star Citizen that would make for absolutely insane news.

Being said I don't really believe it could possibly be that low. Being said CIG apparently is super thrilled that 8% of their hypothetical enthusiast population wants to play their game. That is a major victory for them and they're extremely proud. With some adjustment for the hollidays that number could range as high as 15%!

If the number of actual backers was closer to 500k that would still be some serious news and would call down some heavy examination of CIG's whale hunting with the price paid per backer would skyrocket. That would make for some really fun articles.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

I wonder when Star Citizens will notice this article. The comment section even uses Disqus for James Brand et al.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
I'd be curious about the positional ramifications if two players were to start at different navigation nodes, but then attempt to *non* jump-travel towards each other. I mean someone supposedly did the "i flew from one place to another without jumping" - but would there be any empirical relevance to seeing if two players, headed in opposite directions, ever actually came into 'the same grid' as each other?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

fuctifino posted:

lol. Crobber tries to be like Braben (and fails)
He's better when he writes 20 pages of

quote:

Derek Smart is very adept at doing what he has been doing; spreading Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. He always grabs one nugget of a fact and uses that to sell a whole lot of lies and disinformation. He tweets about Star Citizen EVERY DAY. Not once but multiple times. If you read his Twitter stream it comes across as the crusade of a crazy man. He continually blogs about us. He constantly agitates…encouraging people to ask for refunds, report us to the FTC, the FBI and/or their local attorney general. He calls me a liar, a fraud, incompetent and many other names. He has slandered my family members and business partners. He has publically doxed me, sharing the address of my home in LA, pictures of my wife and five year old daughter. He constantly attacks Sandi Gardiner, accusing her of having no qualifications, or experience, that she had other people do her work for her and only has the Marketing position because she is my wife. That is incredibly ironic considering we are the most crowd funded project in history, that she wrote the marketing plan, and single handedly executed it when we were a tiny team – even today she’s the only dedicated marketing person at the company, for a game that has raised almost $90M for its development solely through viral marketing, word of mouth and PR. If you were going to criticize Star Citizen you certainly can fault us for taking longer than everyone wants, which would fall on the development side of the company but not marketing! The icing on the cake is that she has five degrees and speaks five languages, which I am willing to bet makes her a lot more qualified than Derek Smart is!

You have to ask yourself why? What does he have to gain? He didn’t like how I was running Star Citizen? Fine, he has his money back. He has no active claim in the game, nor would I ever want someone like him to be part of our community. I have never met Derek Smart, nor do I ever care to. I have never done anything personally to him. Yet he has continued to wage a FUD campaign on Star Citizen, the company making it and its community since July. He actively tries to destroy the hard work that I and everyone else making the game have put in to this project. He wants to tear down something that close to one million people have put their hopes and dreams into. Is it ego? A sense of self-importance? The fact that he’s getting attention again after being in the wilderness? It’s probably not a coincidence that he’s actively courted the Gamer Gate crowd, while professing to remain neutral since he started attacking Star Citizen. It’s also probably not a coincidence that he’s been using the buzz words “accountability” and “ethics” when attacking us as he knows in today’s internet world, where almost no one actually does the research to find the real facts that hyperbole sticks and people love to tweet an instant response to an attention grabbling statement on Twitter.

Derek Smart publishes blogs where he talks about lawsuits and how’s he going to take us down. He’s going so far as to publically share a letter with some pretty silly requests from his supposed lawyer (he seems unable to sign these letters), regardless of the fact we haven’t received the letter. In his latest blog he linked to a letter from his “lawyer” that was dated September 14th. We only received it yesterday, on September 30th! And it was post marked September 22nd! If you know anything about real legal discourse you would know that it stays behind closed doors. You don’t publish this kind of communication as it will prejudice any possible case. What he is doing is just a publicity ploy to get headlines from journalists who don’t know any better and to worry Star Citizen backers into thinking he’s going to legally give us troubles. And this is exactly his FUD plan – scare enough people, tell enough lies, round up the occasional angry ex-employee to help pour fuel on the fire to give him some semblance of credibility. We are not afraid of Derek Smart. We have nothing to hide and are very confident in our ability to defend ourselves against anything he may try to bring. But my bet is he won’t – he’s full of hyperbole. He claims he’s made over $200M in royalties from his games as recently as a week ago (I don’t think I have to go into why this is a complete lie). He also says frequently that he’s worth over $100M, or that he has two PhDs, or that back in July he was taking out a full page ad in The New York Times to expose us. He says a lot of things to get attention and for some reason people don’t call him on it. You may say, “Well don’t shoot the messenger,” but when the messenger is delivering his own message, then I think it’s perfectly fair to question that persons motives and credibility.

And you know what? If he was a decent person he would state his opinion and then sit back and see if it actually plays out, which at that point perhaps he would be vindicated. Instead he is actively trying to make his prophesy come true, using whatever dirty tricks he can muster. Why?

quote:

I would like to point out that ever since I got your email from David I have been working on this response. I worked on this until 5am last night, and a couple more hours this morning in the UK, where I am currently am in preparation for CitizenCon in a week from Saturday. Conservatively it’s taken me about eight hours to write. This is time I could have spent working on the game instead of dealing with a Derek Smart instigated drama. And this is really what annoys me – that his silly rantings occasionally gain traction and pull me away from the very thing I prefer to do and the very thing everyone wants me to do and the very thing Derek Smart accuses me of not doing – FINISHING THE GAME! By constantly tweeting, writing blogs and soliciting journalists in the background to report his “findings” he’s waging guerrilla warfare on my time, the time of other key executives, and the peace of mind of our employees and backers.

I would ask you to think hard about this in the context of what you guys have been considering running with. What do you hope to achieve by running with an article like this? What good do you hope will come out of it? Are you looking to cast assertions on our chance of success? What’s the point of unfounded conjecture and innuendo from biased parties? People say we will not deliver the game we’ve promised. So? Shouldn’t you just let us get on with it? If it falls apart they will be vindicated, if not we will be. I don’t know any other project that gets the level of scrutiny that we get in the development phase. Every day I have to deal with thousands of arm chair CEOs and developers mostly because we are the most open game development project in history. I have no problem with our community having its opinion on various facets of our development but when our openness is used against us by a small number of outside agitators harbouring ill will against us, it becomes incredibly frustrating and detrimental to my ability to deliver the game as promised.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

quote:

The fluidity that is so compelling in 2.0 only serves to enhance the feeling of immersion and being inside the story for Squadron 42. Combine this with some amazing performances and technology that can transcribe the performance into our game engine… I think the sense of emotional connection to the characters and story will take it to a whole other level than people are used to.

Reminder that this is coming from the guy who wrote Wing Commander, where the characters ranged from completely bland to unintentionally aggravating.

To me the clearest indication that Roberts is deluded, even more than the insane goals he's set for this project, is that he thinks he can actually write a compelling screenplay. Like, you can be a hack writer and know it. This dude not only thinks he's competent, he thinks he's actually good.

A Neurotic Jew fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 24, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sarsapariller posted:

Oh did croberts finally get around to acknowledging that they hit 100 million? It was pretty telling to me when they passed that milestone and there was just radio silence from CIG. They knew it was coming for months, and prepared nothing.

What if it was CiG themselves?

Like... Ben was tired of all the threads and just blew his top

"gently caress IT, ILL DONATE THE 5K JUST TO STOP THESE TROLL POSTS!"

:lesnick:

Edit: I know its dumb, but I think its a funny idea as to why they never announced the person.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I found that closing the launcher after i click 'launch' makes star shitizen much more stable and with better FPS.

Also i found another fun thing to do.

The ship i have, the 'm50' is really small, really really small.

I can fly it under the big black ships on the launchpad and then self destruct, and then they're just gone.

I don't know if they blow up too or if they are propelled into the heavens, but they aren't there after the boom.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3y1btd/elite_or_star_what_pack_to_get/cy9nff2

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Just imagine if they'd never actually raised $100 million, it was all just fabricated bullshit.

"Once they see the 10 hours of gary oldman gurning his way through my loving amazing script, they'll see....THEY'LL ALL SEE!, We'll be rich!"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
If they want to live and breathe inside a ship why don't they just rent a boat for the day :confused:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I am glad Bootcha didn't sell his shares to Derek Smart because it increases the likelihood of me seeing cut-scenes from SQ42, and that is gonna be extremely my poo poo.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Cultists forget that after a while, in any game, you loath anything like having to walk to the door, open the door, close the door, walk down the hallway, activate the chair, get in the chair every drat time. The start of games have all those interactive WOW bits which are quickly pushed aside for the core gameplay to shine. The game is never going to be reality with all it's little details no matter how many details you add to a game. At some point it is just a layer over gameplay systems. A layer you tend to ignore.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Sillybones posted:

Cultists forget that after a while, in any game, you loath anything like having to walk to the door, open the door, close the door, walk down the hallway, activate the chair, get in the chair every drat time. The start of games have all those interactive WOW bits which are quickly pushed aside for the core gameplay to shine. The game is never going to be reality with all it's little details no matter how many details you add to a game. At some point it is just a layer over gameplay systems. A layer you tend to ignore.

Cultists want a GTA game that has twenty minutes of timesinks (that they can cleverly drop to fifteen with their superior knowledge) standing between being in the shower and driving out of your garage.

Then when you get one star your account is banned.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

It's the Illuminati, killing PC Gaming forever. Smart is a Reptilian plant, who, along with the Royal family is promoting the PS4 and handheld 'gaming' by destroying the PC industry, and it's plucky freethinkers who dare to dream that are marginalized for staring at the neighbour kids and saving their urine for the day when they come for your guns and HOTAS.

Witness me if I go missing, Games.

D_Smart posted:

e. It was the Freespace license that PGI had for 6 months. Not Wing Commander - which they also had for a period time (didn't say how long - but it's online apparently). He walked away from the WC in order to focus on MWO instead after they put a lot of money into buying out their publisher.

As far as I'm aware, that went Volition -> THQ -> Interplay for the Freespace license. Less than $10K to hit Interplay too.

Russ didn't 'walk away from wing commander' to work on MWO, they launched the crappiest crowdsource to suckle off the SC tit that put multiplayer at some ridiculous level like half a million bucks, then attempted to whitewash the thing through Reddit by censoring dissent. They finally pulled the campaign after raising a pittance and realizing that the only thing they had left was MWO, which got their community guy Niko, canned.

https://www.themittani.com/news/pgi-aborts-transverse-crowdfunding-campaign

Transverse was the most hilarious bullshit pulled so far in crowdfunding, and one of the most embarrassing defeats.

https://www.themittani.com/media/pgi-announces-space-mmo-transverse

edit:

Rule one of politics, don't accept the premise of anything you don't like...

Crobbles posted:

He calls me a liar, a fraud, incompetent and many other names. He has slandered my family members and business partners. He has publically doxed me, sharing the address of my home in LA, pictures of my wife and five year old daughter. He constantly attacks Sandi Gardiner, accusing her of having no qualifications, or experience, that she had other people do her work for her and only has the Marketing position because she is my wife. That is incredibly ironic considering we are the most crowd funded project in history, that she wrote the marketing plan, and single handedly executed it when we were a tiny team – even today she’s the only dedicated marketing person at the company, for a game that has raised almost $90M for its development solely through viral marketing, word of mouth and PR.

...and stop repeating the allegations, Christ. Your loving qualified PR department should be tugging on your dick to make your stop, let alone the Very Important Lawyer that threatened Derek's friends with his Bigger Friends.

Hav fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 24, 2015

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Mirificus posted:

I wonder when Star Citizens will notice this article. The comment section even uses Disqus for James Brand et al.

I would lmbo if Tom Chick got in the middle of this somehow.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

fuzzknot posted:

He's the little poo poo who cyberstalked Bootcha. I'll rip his teeth out through his throat if we ever meet.

ghahahahhaha you're good people

this is 100% unironic

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Someone needs to make a youtube video of the points listed in the article and just cut to shots of cr looking confused and angry at his computer trying to get all of it to work.
Crickets in the background and canned laughter.

…I also wonder what he means by “fly thousands or even hundreds of thousands of kilometers”.

What is he referencing here? Is it system size? Grid size? …world size? How far you can fly before the position vector overflows and starts executing arbitrary code on the server?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

Well, that seemed to work. Post on SA, get a near-instant response

Blah blah blah. I responded with a statement of the fact that they have refunded many others to the tune of thousands of dollars, including people who didn't request refunds, that I had not agreed to any of the Terms of Service changes that they quote, that they had failed to deliver the game as described when I backed originally, and that should they not refund me my $40, that I would contact my bank and instruct them to initiate a chargeback. As an alternative to that, they could just give me my $40 back.

Hey Derek, what else should I go after them with?

When did they change from a 14 day refund period to a 30 day one?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Tippis posted:

…I also wonder what he means by “fly thousands or even hundreds of thousands of kilometers”.

What is he referencing here? Is it system size? Grid size? …world size? How far you can fly before the position vector overflows and starts executing arbitrary code on the server?

l'll bet you 100 million space £'s and 10 space jpegs he didn't write the article himself, it'll be some intern whipping boy that got pushed into writing it.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I'm honestly shocked that someone hasn't posted a picture of the Roberts Estate yet.

Some people itt have said they know where he lives already, thats how they know he rents a $15k a month mansion. I'm pretty certain ds knows. But Croberts and sroberts have kids and stuff, no need to go that far.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

l'll bet you 100 million space £'s and 10 space jpegs he didn't write the article himself, it'll be some intern whipping boy that got pushed into writing it.

Yeah it took 8 hours to write his rant against the Escapist and derek smart. Who knows how long it would take him to write something coherent.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
80k people played 2.0 out of a loving million? Goddamn. That is surprising. They really have to double down on the whales. I just don't see how normal people will just not go 'yeah, this crowdfunded game got 100 mill, why does it need my money?' Or just make incredibly conservative purchases for the same reason. They really need SQ42 out asap. They have to show something, otherwise these articles and press are going to get worse. I understand that the cult like mentality will have them circling the wagons and tossing even more money at it, but drat.

Also lol at that gryphon comment. Some people have spent tens of thousands on ships, made star citizen man caves and PCs. People have lost relationships (and will lose them once significant others realize how much was spent on basically concept art). It is not the behavior of mentally sound adults and the writing is on the wall. You don't think the immense amount of stress of not only losing your dream, but the massive amounts of money, time and emotional energy you put into it while at the same time being viewed at as a fool and laughing stock wouldn't drive someone, somewhere to suicide? And that part of the blame wouldn't lie on the people who knowingly fed them horseshit while exploiting them to the tune of thousands upon thousands of dollars when they knew what they were promising was completely impossible? Yeah, ok.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Star Citizen: Is Star Citizen a Gay Pride Parade?

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/79264/moderator-censorship-eliminates-exposure-of-moderator-bias#latest

Being gay is just a personal belief. :colbert:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Romes128 posted:

Yeah it took 8 hours to write his rant against the Escapist and derek smart. Who knows how long it would take him to write something coherent.

It's been how many years now and he doesn't know how to control his own game, that's why there's such a breakdown in communication he doesn't know what day it is.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Ravane posted:

Star Citizen: Is Star Citizen a Gay Pride Parade?

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/79264/moderator-censorship-eliminates-exposure-of-moderator-bias#latest

Being gay is just a personal belief. :colbert:

excuse me you have to be tollerant about intollerance :colbert:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

pokie posted:

Holiday present for the thread from my gf:

She's obviously brilliant.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Happy Sisyphus posted:

excuse me you have to be tollerant about intollerance :colbert:

It's bad that all these gays are making GBS threads everything up with their beliefs, get rid of them.....but my belief about the gays is totally ok so just like consider my beliefs the right beliefs yeah?

It's like a never-ending black hole of stupidity.

Star citizen 2 : Ain't no gays in space

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's been how many years now and he doesn't know how to control his own game, that's why there's such a breakdown in communication he doesn't know what day it is.

I was going to make some quip about not knowing how to connect a joystick, but on second thought, your claim works on both levels — it's already covered.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mr.Tophat posted:

Terribly sorry for the slow reply, but if you're still game for trying your hand at this, by all means, I'm happy to fund the attempt. Just let know when you'd like to try, and how best to fund the endeavor.

Also, found an excellent track to use for Star Citizen videos, parody or otherwise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZuI3ZkCHfs About the 35 second mark is the money parp.

I wouldn't trust him to fund it. The tune posted has nothing even CLOSE to a money parp at :35. Prolly spent all their money/sense on SC.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Piece from the Farticle :

A huge milestone towards achieving this goal was the release of Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 earlier this month, with the ability to play in a huge area (the biggest yet in gaming thanks to 64 bit floating point positional coordinates) and offering up all of these exciting options in that world: walking around a space station on foot or boarding a space ship by yourself or with friends… walk around that ship and/or have your friends man various stations while you are flying… fly thousands or even hundreds of thousands of kilometers, engage in ship to ship combat against AI or other players, exit your ship to EVA and explore space stations… engage in FPS combat (on foot or in EVA), rescue stranded players, perform various missions. All of this happens seamlessly without loading screens at a fidelity and scale that has not been seen before in any game.

Can someone confirm how much of this is true? And how much is carefully worded bs?

This is the problem with Star Citizen. It is a handful of game mechanic verbs. You can fly/shoot/space-walk, but flying/shooting/space-walking does not a game make. They are bullet points for a videogame engine, all you need to do is actually make the game.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Tokamak posted:

This is the problem with Star Citizen. It is a handful of game mechanic verbs. You can fly/shoot/space-walk, but flying/shooting/space-walking does not a game make. They are bullet points for a videogame engine, all you need to do is actually make the game.

One would think that, being the openest gamest developmentestest ever(est), it would be possible to get ones hands on some design documents that outline the core systems one would expect of a space sim — you know, economy, industry, and modes, means, and reasons for conflict… stuff like that — and the dynamics they will hopefully generate. Hmm…

Tippis fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Dec 24, 2015

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

GET A REFUND, CITIZEN!

And buy literally anything on sale on Steam, at least they'll give you a refund.

Nope. I have two Steam titles, one of which I have never successfully played, and they just shrug at me, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Samizdata posted:

She's obviously brilliant.

Needs to be in the OP

• Locked thread