Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Spanish Manlove posted:

The "poo poo that came out this week" article is usually ok, but yeah sergeant D and emperor rhombus are the only writers who write anything decent on there.

Ever read Toilet Ov Hell?

IIRC it was started by Metalsucks commenters who got sick of them running the same five stories over and over again. Sometimes they have okay recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Metalsucks is usually pretty terrible but their album of the year stuff has been consistently great. Lots of different contributers with varied tastes means that the lists are really diverse.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

http://www.choosingdeath.com/

gently caress yeah, tickets on sale saturday

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Just a friendly reminder that Just Before Dawn released a new EP a couple weeks back. Come get your Not-Bolt Thrower fix here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxV-_bk-bJ4

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

hopterque posted:

Metalsucks is usually pretty terrible but their album of the year stuff has been consistently great. Lots of different contributers with varied tastes means that the lists are really diverse.

This. Also they consistently prompt massive nerd rage in their comments section, so they have that going for them.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Hulk Krogan posted:

This. Also they consistently prompt massive nerd rage in their comments section, so they have that going for them.

the average metalsucks reader's top 15 aoty list would end up being:

1. Willowtip Album #1
  2. Willowtip Album #2
  3. Willowtip Album #3
  4. Willowtip Album #4
  5. Willowtip Album #5
  6. Unique Leader Album #1
  7. Unique Leader Album #2
  8. Unique Leader Album #3
  9. Unique Leader Album #4
  10. Unique Leader Album #5
  11. Nuclear Blast Album #1
  12. Nuclear Blast Album #2
  13. Nuclear Blast Album #3
  14. Nuclear Blast Album #4
  15. Nuclear Blast Album #5

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Seeing Death Angel do a cover of You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch really is something.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Varg posted:

http://www.choosingdeath.com/

gently caress yeah, tickets on sale saturday

Taphos Nomos are cool, their demo was very good.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

the average metalsucks reader's top 15 aoty list would end up being:

1. Willowtip Album #1
  2. Willowtip Album #2
  3. Willowtip Album #3
  4. Willowtip Album #4
  5. Willowtip Album #5
  6. Unique Leader Album #1
  7. Unique Leader Album #2
  8. Unique Leader Album #3
  9. Unique Leader Album #4
  10. Unique Leader Album #5
  11. Nuclear Blast Album #1
  12. Nuclear Blast Album #2
  13. Nuclear Blast Album #3
  14. Nuclear Blast Album #4
  15. Nuclear Blast Album #5

Willowtip is a pretty good label honestly, they have some fantastic bands like Mithras, Contrarian, Gigan and Ingurgitating Oblivion. If there's one label I trust to put out good post-Gorguts death metal, it's them.
The quality of UL material has been declining but I'll vouch for Gorod, Flesh Consumed, and a few other acts being pretty good. ...And Deeds of Flesh obviously, though I'm not as enamored with them as 90% of brutal DM fans are.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

There's a preview track from the Ritual Chamber full length and it sounds pretty good: https://www.profoundlorerecords.com/ritual-chamber-complete-work-on-debut-full-length-album/
This is one of the guys from Infester.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I wrote something for Noisey on the state of death metal. Thought I would share it with y'all. Someone from Reddit has already called me an SJW and also said I called Tribulation "the future of death metal," which I didn't do.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
That was a good read, well done

(:goonsay: before someone dumb rakes you over the coals, it's spelled halcyon :goonsay:)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kumbamontu posted:

That was a good read, well done

(:goonsay: before someone dumb rakes you over the coals, it's spelled halcyon :goonsay:)

Catching that is an editor's job :reject:

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

A human heart posted:

What's eye rolling about anticapitalism? Those guys are basically crust punks incorporating some black metal elements into their music, what sort of politics would you expect them to have?

fatherdog posted:

In a genre where a distressing percentage of bands are Literal Actual Nazis, if you find one you like and the worst you have to deal with is "No gently caress YOU Dad" style anarchism you should probably count your blessings.

Spanish Manlove posted:

This poo poo's good and your qualms are pretty lame. Given that half of the most popular bands of black metal are either literal nazis or have committed some sort of hate crime you should be thankful that "doesn't like walmart" is probably the most extreme thing about their views.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a serious complaint or any real qualms - I think it's great stuff, the guy I've talked to ( via email anyway ) sounds like a normal, and I donated/am buying the latest LP.

I just can't help but :rolleyes: at "Anarchy" or any explicit political-bent band. It won't stop me from listening to it and enjoying it though. I :rolleyes: if I think too hard about basically any lyrics of poo poo I listen to these days, I mean when a band is talking about making "mystic rites to the old ones" *cough* Inquistion *cough* or are calling for all christians to die or whatever else then I just go back to ignoring the lyrics again.

I guess I'm just so jaded from years of Satan and Trolls and Nazi's that a band making good music without those schticks is weird.

Here's another great song from the latest album, slower/more melodic actually: https://iskracrust.bandcamp.com/track/traume

Donate, buy an LP, and support anarchy in a :canada: community of mostly senior citizens. :black101:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Henchman of Santa posted:

I wrote something for Noisey on the state of death metal. Thought I would share it with y'all. Someone from Reddit has already called me an SJW and also said I called Tribulation "the future of death metal," which I didn't do.

i was hoping people would leave more comments i could laugh at but nice article!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
this woman sings good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWKh2BNhfQY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDY5Ojt2EKQ

their last album is real poo poo though

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 18, 2015

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Forgive me if I've been beaten to the punch on this, I don't read this thread much, but Batushka is blowing me away right now. It's black metal with a little bit of a doom vibe, heavily mixing in a lot of gregorian (?) chant. Has the chanty vibe of Si Monumentum but in a simpler, more fun way. Fun is perhaps the wrong word. It's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUhBykAA0D8

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Try Reverorum Ib Malacht and Ras Algethi if you like chanting.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Baroness - Purple is the best album I've heard in like 5 years. Thanks for reading now go listen to this beautiful release.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Oh hey, I read this yesterday and thought it was very good. Well done.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Kilometers Davis posted:

Baroness - Purple is the best album I've heard in like 5 years. Thanks for reading now go listen to this beautiful release.

It's finally all on Spotify (minus the last track which is only 17 seconds?) today just got a whole lot better

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

now listening to a FLAC rip and not a lovely youtube quality preview version of the new Baroness.. hot drat I am liking this so far

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Varg posted:

now listening to a FLAC rip and not a lovely youtube quality preview version of the new Baroness.. hot drat I am liking this so far

word. i wasn't crazy about yellow/green but purple is really drat good.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

TheIllestVillain posted:

word. i wasn't crazy about yellow/green but purple is really drat good.
same, I even hated the singles that came out ahead of the album but I like them a lot in context with the rest of the album start to finish

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I like the new Baroness album, but my chief issue with it is the overly loud production. The drums are especially egregious, especially on the cymbals. Feels like it clips every time he hits a crash.

The closing track is probably my personal favorite.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

New Xanthochroid track dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIsYa1HLPTQ

Nothing startlingly new, mostly sounds like Blessed He With Boils

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
^ That's pretty cool.

Anyway, Dan Swano owns. You guys probably already know that though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF_42zfAEOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLFzyqRXhx8

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kilometers Davis posted:

This album is loving insane thank you

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Saw Ghost last night, was a great show :). Getting really close to the stage makes the whole thing pretty intense watching the ghoul band float around and act possessed as the pope guy conducts them like puppets.

sarr
Mar 24, 2008

Praise the Sun!

Vargatron posted:

I like the new Baroness album, but my chief issue with it is the overly loud production. The drums are especially egregious, especially on the cymbals. Feels like it clips every time he hits a crash.

The closing track is probably my personal favorite.

I really like it as well and I came here to see if anyone else had a problem with the loudness. It's a drat shame.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

sarr posted:

I really like it as well and I came here to see if anyone else had a problem with the loudness. It's a drat shame.
I noticed first at the end of The Iron Bell with the crazy loud cymbal smash. There are definitely parts throughout the album that get lost a bit in the noise, but I guess it's not too terrible since I've basically had it on replay for the past two days

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Baroness' production has always sounded like that, I just expect it as part of the sound they are going for

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Obsequiae posted some fan-recorded ( I assume ) live video from a show they did.

[edit] now with link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OOn-QHg0-Y

It actually sounds pretty good live ( not the recording quality obviously, but the song ), I wasn't sure it's something you could pull off live based on the atmosphere but it totally works.

Also, that vocalist :magical:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

realbez posted:

Baroness' production has always sounded like that, I just expect it as part of the sound they are going for

Yeah it's awesome when you're listening to it in the car or something and the drum fills come in so heavy. That last bell chime on Would You Stop the rain is triumphant

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don't know if it's just because I really like the album or what but the production is growing on me. It's definitely overly compressed and claustrophobic but there's also a nice raw in your face feeling to it. It works in some bizarre way and somehow it doesn't hold back the very solid guitar tones on the album.

Speaking of great albums I've been working through my 2015 Apple Music backlog and I've listened to the newest Nile for a few days. It's up there with AOTW for me. They went in a memorable accessible direction this time around and it works. I'm surprised it didn't show up on many AOTY lists but it seems like people are getting worn out on the band.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 23, 2015

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Kilometers Davis posted:

I don't know if it's just because I really like the album or what but the production is growing on me. It's definitely overly compressed and claustrophobic but there's also a nice raw in your face feeling to it. It works in some bizarre way and somehow it doesn't hold back the very solid guitar tones on the album.

Speaking of great albums I've been working through my 2015 Apple Music backlog and I've listened to the newest Nile for a few days. It's up there with AOTW for me. They went in a memorable accessible direction this time around and it works. I'm surprised it didn't show up on many AOTY lists but it seems like people are getting worn out on the band.

It's really good but to be fair there's been a lot of quality stuff coming out this year and there's only so much space on any given AOTY list.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski
So who wants to hear some batshit insane metal?

I LOVE batshit insane metal (i.e. Deathspell Omega, Sigh, A Forest of Stars, Portal, Dodheimsgard), so when I was recently introduced to the band Pryapisme. I was instantly hooked.

I showed this to some of my friends on Facebook, and here were some reactions:

Friend 1: it's like trip hop fused with metal fused with jazz fused with drugs... also it has a cat in it
Friend 2: Only 1:30 in, and I think it's great! I usually hate everything. Musical flavors of Koenjihyakkei and Estradasphere. Mr Bungle and Secret Chiefs 3 too.
Friend 1: i am literally just laughing uncontrollably the more i listen. i don't know if i like this band or if it's just so absurd

E: That Xanthocroid track posted earlier was yummy.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Blue Wher posted:

I LOVE batshit insane metal (i.e. Deathspell Omega, Sigh, A Forest of Stars, Portal, Dodheimsgard), so when I was recently introduced to the band Pryapisme. I was instantly hooked.

Friend 1: it's like trip hop fused with metal fused with jazz fused with drugs... also it has a cat in it
Friend 2: Only 1:30 in, and I think it's great! I usually hate everything. Musical flavors of Koenjihyakkei and Estradasphere. Mr Bungle and Secret Chiefs 3 too.
Friend 1: i am literally just laughing uncontrollably the more i listen. i don't know if i like this band or if it's just so absurd

Yeah, I can't tell if I actually like this or I just can't stop listening because it's so god damned WEIRD. Holy poo poo, my brain :psyduck:

e: and of course. OF COURSE it has synthesized bagpipes out of nowhere halfway through, and weird rear end dubstep sounds, because hey that's something else we haven't done in this song yet... holy hell :psypop:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

TollTheHounds posted:

Obsequiae posted some fan-recorded ( I assume ) live video from a show they did.

[edit] now with link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OOn-QHg0-Y

It actually sounds pretty good live ( not the recording quality obviously, but the song ), I wasn't sure it's something you could pull off live based on the atmosphere but it totally works.

Also, that vocalist :magical:

Jesus loving CHRIST :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Blue Wher posted:

Pryapisme are great - they're like an amalgamation of lots of weird prog bands that touch occasionally dabble in metal, like mIRTHKON, Sebkha-Chott, Polkadot Cadaver, and the bands you mentioned. That said, I want to be friends with Friend 2. Anyone who likes Koenjihyakkei is cool with me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHDOALyDOO8 (note: not metal at all)

Optimum Gulps fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 25, 2015