Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

RedTonic posted:

I'll trade you 4 AOL free trial CDs for a janky ship .jpeg. Try to beat that deal.

Oh, yeah? I will cash in my Bitcoins to buy Beenz. Then all the sweet, sweet JPeG's will be MINE! But will The Smart forgive me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
resident evil 2 : you can shoot zombies, you can solve puzzles, you get cool guns.
metal gear solid : You can sneak around, you can shoot baddies (if you want)You can watch cool guys do cool poo poo in cool expensive cutscenes.
Minecraft : build anything you want, interact with other players, marvel at your creations, endless replayability.

That's 3 massively popular games condensed into extremely simple descriptions

Star citizen : You can fly (poorly)You can run(when your not falling into the ground) You can't really interact with anything, you can't really go anywhere, or do anything...

GOTY. You know where to spend your money goons, get spending.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

D_Smart posted:

I told you all not to give him any money and that he'd just move the forums to some lovely cloud service, then spend the rest on JPEGs. Nobody listened to me. I even wrote TWO loving blogs about it.

:golfclap:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Samizdata posted:

Nope. I have two Steam titles, one of which I have never successfully played, and they just shrug at me, basically.

Chargeback

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Ravane posted:

Star Citizen: Is Star Citizen a Gay Pride Parade?

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/79264/moderator-censorship-eliminates-exposure-of-moderator-bias#latest

Being gay is just a personal belief. :colbert:

It never ceases to amaze me how many ways you can misspell the same word you spell CORRECTLY in the same paragraph. Beliefs, beliefes, believes.... I guess english might not be his second or third language, but cultish is definitely his first.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
STARSHIP SALE!!!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15126-Holiday-Ship-Sale

its a doozy

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

No joke clicking that link crashed my browser.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Anyone else excited for 2024?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

1 and a half years and it's getting shorter every month! We'll be done when Chris tosses all assets and code away resetting the progress to 0!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Soooo… does that mean it'll be out in 2021, 2022, 2024 or 2025? And how obsolete will everything about it be by 2018?

SelenicMartian posted:

1 and a half years and it's getting shorter every month! We'll be done when Chris tosses all assets and code away resetting the progress to 0!

Considering how it's been done so far, resetting to 0 might actually make it closer to completion than continuing on the current track.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Dec 24, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tippis posted:

Soooo… does that mean it'll be out in 2021, 2022, 2024 or 2025? And how obsolete will everything about it be by 2018?

Considering how it's been done so far, resetting to 0 might actually make it closer to completion than continuing on the current track.

I just roll 1d10 and use that as my next best guess. :shrug:

Oh wait, I didn't include the prototype existing but maybe not really counting in actual development time.

Make it a 1d20

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 24, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I just roll 1d10 and use that as my next best guess. :shrug:

You obviously lack vision. This is CRobber we're talking about.
1d20

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tippis posted:

You obviously lack vision. This is CRobber we're talking about.
1d20

Can't find the dang dice, have a Lesnick instead.

:lesnick:

TIL I am "attacking" Star Citizen.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

:laffo: the price of those addons

$100 for space boobs

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
"in stock"

"buy now"

VAT

DONATIONS!

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Where is potato?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Romes128 posted:

Where is potato?

:lesnick:

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Where can I read about the gameplay systems attached to the advertised modules?

Oh? O-oh.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Acquilae posted:

:laffo: the price of those addons

$100 for space boobs

The supercollider pod (whatever the gently caress that is) ALONE costs as much as three regular games.

Three major release games. Will you honestly get more enjoyment out of an addon pod for a $350 ship as you would get out of buying and playing through three AAA games or about a dozen smaller indy games, or a full year of subscription to an established content-rich MMO like FF14?

If you bought that base ship with all the add ons, it would be about $1000. Assuming a $35 base price for a AA game that's more than a few months old, that's thirty games. THIRTY GAMES.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Yeah but COD-like AAA games only last 4 to 6 hours a piece!

Star Citizen will last YEARS, primarily cause you have to wait for every last piece of content to be added. And don't forget about Star Citizen's Triple AAA credentials, either!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
If it's going to take 10 years to release Star Citizen, and I can start playing it TODAY, I can't think of a better argument than the potential 87,600 hours (Not counting leap years) I could spend on it.

Checkmate, CoD :smuggo:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3xziyl/we_interviewed_sandi_gardiner_fortnightly/

Chris Roberts: Hardcore Gamer

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3xznoj/sandis_confirmed_sq42_character/

:yikes:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3y0ktf/times_they_come_out/

No release dates and delays are good!

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3y2cr7/christ_roberts_is_not_taking_vr_seriously_enough/

It's done, expect it in two weeks!

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Literally Kermit posted:

And Peter, you will be assisting Eowen as official Diamond Frog Goodwill Ambassador of course. As you were already my commissioned officer, you just don't get the illusion of choice :jiggled:

To everyone else in the thread: I will honor time put into this thread towards your Diamond Frog retirement package, in the unlikely event you play Elite: Dangerous long enough to retire.

To Derek Smart: you can play with us too, but will be restricted to saying how much Star Citizen is a scam to three times a day outside this thread and that super secret area of the forum you don't like us talking about. You mat tell us how much your game will be better than E:D, but only once every five confirmed enemy kills.

Also, Derek: Your involvement in Diamond Frog affairs will not be public, unless it causes diehard Star Citizens to buy Elite: Dangerous to try and kill you in-game, which you have to admit would be funny.

Okay good power meeting guys let's get out there keep them home fires burning

How can I get in contact with these frogs made of diamond?
I have a brand new Anaconda and a Mostly Harmless combat rank.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Hah, wtf, they actually believe or want something like this to ever happen

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

starkebn posted:

Too be fair, it would be a totally awesome thing to actually have happen in a space game.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's really, really bad unless the population of actual backers is far lower than even the most conservative estimates. Frankly I wonder if there are even 200K paying backers.

Not sure about that being so bad. I personally know of 6 people in my circle of friends that have pledged for Star Citizen and only 1 has actually tried it out. Most of them bought a small game package and will just try it out when the game is out.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

starkebn posted:

In a few days it'll pop up in some other place, like Reddit. But this time it'll be prefaced with Chris Roberts/CIG said they're going to implement this and the citizens will accept it as fact.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

starkebn posted:

I can't tell if it's something he wants to happen in the game or something that he thinks has happened in his game.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Beexoffel posted:

How can I get in contact with these frogs made of diamond?
I have a brand new Anaconda and a Mostly Harmless combat rank.

Have a look in the Private Game Servers subforum
:frontear:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Christ Roberts posted:

“Why should they have all that money?” Well it’s because you want to build a big, bold game that doesn’t compromise! This is the secret.

Ah, "no compromises," the most dangerous of mantras for a creative endeavor. There is no :siren: big enough to convey how bad that is for a project.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Just look at the package names; Scout, Bounty Hunter, Freelancer, Colonel, Pirate. With only a name and a picture CIG needed something else to sell. So they sold possibility and had you dreaming of what you would be doing before there even was a game. I am guilty of falling for it myself. I saw the Cutlass as the perfect Goonmobile. Fast, lots of guns, easily repaired, just fill the fucker with boarders and go play Grand Theft Starship. Hell it came with a tractor beam and boarding collar. It was my ship.

Then they hosed it all up.

It flew like poo poo. It was too fat. It wasn't a dogfighter. Then variants were basically different ways to outfit a van. The commercial did nothing to emphasize piracy and looked as lazy and rushed as the variants. Whatever the gently caress it was, it wasn't my ship. And in the aftermath of Cutlassgate and that massive thread Dusty ran all the other bullshit it became clear that reality was a joke. The Cutlass we have is not what they sold, and it's unlikely to ever be.

The best part is the aftermath
How did CIG ultimately respond to the complaints? By offering to sell a new ship.
Yeah I didn't read the package names like that, I read them as marketing fluff. Does Grand Admiral make you a Grand Admiral? No, it's just fluff. I've seen posts where people compare ships by their hardpoint sizes or whatever and it's stupid; it's all bullshit on a website until it's in the game.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Have a look in the Private Game Servers subforum
:frontear:

Thanks, will do!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Is this lawsuit out yet?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Truga posted:

Is this lawsuit out yet?

Yes.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

The free market working perfectly.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm enjoying 2.1, the freelancer redesign is very nice.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Truga posted:

Is this lawsuit out yet?

Has Karl hosed himself yet?

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
USA! USA! USA!

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Have we been able to confirm that Karl has not returned because he has hosed himself to death? Heard rumors this happened, but nothing solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

kordansk posted:

Has Karl hosed himself yet?

The crazy thing is he was hosed all along anyway

• Locked thread