Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'll miss Jackrum, but I felt the craving for avatar nostalgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wafflecopper posted:

How does that differ from say (long) yari asiguaru + matchlocks?

shogun 2 doesn't have silly accents.

the two greatest things about med2 was the unit replenishment system and the accents (particularly the Spanish and Russian's)

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Mans posted:

the two greatest things about med2 was the unit replenishment system and the accents (particularly the Spanish and Russian's) dynamic pre-battle speeches.

FTFY

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Our men are running from the battlefield, shamefur dispray!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The italian factions had some silly accents as well. You could hear their hand gestures swirling. Crazy people in medieval 2 were the best.

That said, I had a great lunatic in attila governing a province. Poor old Leofric went blind, impotent and senile in three successive turns and lost about 5 cunning and zeal each in the process. I felt bad for him so I kicked him out of office instead of killing him, and made the guy into a general. Some of his pre battle speeches were... Interesting

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

The italian factions had some silly accents as well. You could hear their hand gestures swirling. Crazy people in medieval 2 were the best.

That said, I had a great lunatic in attila governing a province. Poor old Leofric went blind, impotent and senile in three successive turns and lost about 5 cunning and zeal each in the process. I felt bad for him so I kicked him out of office instead of killing him, and made the guy into a general. Some of his pre battle speeches were... Interesting

pretty sure italians had the same accents as the spaniards.

dont shogun 2 and both rome 2 and attila have speeches as well?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

I had a crazy general in Atilla who wanted to marry all his soldiers and bear their children, if that's what you're getting at.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I am happy to report the dude doing the Napoleonic era weapons and tech add on for ETW is still plugging away at his mod.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Mans posted:

uhhhhh

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Accents. Plural :colbert:

madmac posted:

I had a crazy general in Atilla who wanted to marry all his soldiers and bear their children, if that's what you're getting at.

My favorite is the general freaking out that Germans eat horses, our beautiful, beautiful horses.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mans posted:

Play Fall of the Samurai and bask in the glorious engrish. THEYYY FAIIGHT LIKE DEEEEVILS!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Mans posted:

Accents. Plural :colbert:

FotS has silly Japanese, French, American and British accents.

Check. Mate. :colbert:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
so I got that ultimate general: gettysburg game and uh

well it's mechanically sound and the AI is good but I have not had total war AI piss me off as much as my units AI. mainly, stuff like artillery just deciding they're not going to fire today, with absolutely no visual clues or otherwise indicating what the problem is. this happens constantly - and there's a similar problem for nearly all of the game mechanics. Why are your men refusing to charge those guns in lieu of being shot in the face three times? dunno. Why are your skirmishers nearly constantly bottomed out in morale, regardless of casualties? dunno.

reinforcements tend to dominate the battle tactics; they're scripted in number, timing, and location, and boy loving howdy it's real great when three fresh enemy units appear on your flank because you did too well in driving back the enemy. it really feels like a punch in the dick when that happens, which is basically always, the first time you play an encounter.

in short, it's okay, but gently caress Darth anyways

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Interesting. Now somebody here pick up that 7 Years War game on STEAM and tell us their thoughts.

It is oddly fascinating how the 'yo gently caress you CA!' indie developers stuff turns out.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I'm being harsh on it since it's actually better than TW in quite a few regards; the pacing of the battle is much better, and tactical considerations are pretty paramount; fights are not won on a single flanking move, positioning and terrain are relevant, you really can get over extended and using reserves well is actually important, etc. The use of capture points avoids the nonsense of TW "no you advance on MY hill" bullshit. And while some things are lacking (it often feels like what you accomplished earlier ends up being irrelevant since the number of reinforcements is so large), the real big drain for me is that the UI and documentation is so awful.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Interesting. Now somebody here pick up that 7 Years War game on STEAM and tell us their thoughts.

It is oddly fascinating how the 'yo gently caress you CA!' indie developers stuff turns out.

I bought it before finals and forgot about it. I'll run it tomorrow and find out. All I know is that you interact with Serbs the same way as Native Americans, Sami, and Tartars.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

so I got that ultimate general: gettysburg game and uh

well it's mechanically sound and the AI is good but I have not had total war AI piss me off as much as my units AI. mainly, stuff like artillery just deciding they're not going to fire today, with absolutely no visual clues or otherwise indicating what the problem is. this happens constantly - and there's a similar problem for nearly all of the game mechanics. Why are your men refusing to charge those guns in lieu of being shot in the face three times? dunno. Why are your skirmishers nearly constantly bottomed out in morale, regardless of casualties? dunno.

reinforcements tend to dominate the battle tactics; they're scripted in number, timing, and location, and boy loving howdy it's real great when three fresh enemy units appear on your flank because you did too well in driving back the enemy. it really feels like a punch in the dick when that happens, which is basically always, the first time you play an encounter.

Your artillery will get blocked by terrain a lot in UC:Gettysburg. Forests and buildings will also block them from shooting. LoS is visible in the game, but there's no way to differentiate a random infantry brigade's LoS vs. your 48-gun battery.

Your men will get stuck if they're tired and if their morale is too low. Union brigades tend to lose both very quickly, so its very hard to rush anything with them. If they get really hosed they'll just rout and run away.

Skirmishers have really low morale because they were absurdly op at some point and had to get nerfed. Now they "skirmish" by getting shot a little bit, routing for a second, and then getting back to shooting mode. Don't use them in melee at all.

The draw for UC:Gettysburg kind of expects you to be intimately familiar with the Battle of Gettysburg to begin with. The dynamic campaign is quite involved and plays off of all sorts of what-if scenarios that have been covered in endless Gettysburg-related media. I didn't know poo poo when I played, and got surprised by the Confederates coming every which way, but there's only the initial surprise before you figure things out.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The draw for UC:Gettysburg kind of expects you to be intimately familiar with the Battle of Gettysburg to begin with. The dynamic campaign is quite involved and plays off of all sorts of what-if scenarios that have been covered in endless Gettysburg-related media. I didn't know poo poo when I played, and got surprised by the Confederates coming every which way, but there's only the initial surprise before you figure things out.

That sounds kinda cool in a way; it's nice when a historical game rewards the player for happening to have some knowledge of the event in question. I gotta remember to pick it up at some time eventually, I'm not one of those Civil War turbonerds but I did love the Killer Angels.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Ultimate General Gettysburg was much more enjoyable to play near release. The latest patches seems to try and make both sides equally balanced and it's bland in comparison.

Pubbie Spai
Apr 13, 2012

What talent do men value most?

hemale in pain posted:

Barbarians all the way man!

Can we get a goon group going for this? Pubbies are not good and you can't really do anything too tactical with only 3 units.

Tried to PM you but you have it disabled Im down to start a group or just play with a group of goons and pub stomp. "Vercingetorix" on steam. Im EST and around most nights.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

I recently picked up the Total War Encore Bundle, and I'm playing all of these games in release order. For the first Medieval game, should I use the XL mod, Redux, or just play vanilla?

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Version 4.0 of Hyrule: Total War has been released. Now with sexier Gorons!

DaveCG
Nov 5, 2009
It's a shame that the latest games aren't as mod friendly as med2 or rome1 are, some of the thing people have made are incredible. Anyone tried the Elder Scrolls Total War mod?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

DaveCG posted:

It's a shame that the latest games aren't as mod friendly as med2 or rome1 are, some of the thing people have made are incredible. Anyone tried the Elder Scrolls Total War mod?

All the 'incredible' in the mods to me are the weird aesthetics. TW mods are made by people who just like mashing men together for half an hour and watching the animations and they suffer for that.

Heh, CA catering to casual babies better turn off morale for everything but militia units.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Is Empire still terrible? I really wanted to like it when it was released :(

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

feedmegin posted:

Is Empire still terrible? I really wanted to like it when it was released :(

It's not great but it's not really terrible either and it's pretty unique in terms of its setting and scale. Find and install one of those mods that disable forts (because sieges are unbelievably unfun both on offense and defense) and Empire can be pretty decent.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I have fun with it, but only when I play as Maratha and do massive reverse colonialism campaigns on europe.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Battles are basically even more in favor of line infantry than Fall of the Samurai, while artillery is complete and utter poo poo. Seriously, I think I've played every campaign in Empire by building nothing but line infantry.
I liked the thing where you could just straight up create a general anywhere though.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I also liked how the quality of the general was a product of how experienced the unit was that you promoted them out of. I only realized this when I noticed that some other faction leader had a 'promotes for merit' trait resulting from that system.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Most of the technical issues that made Empire are long fixed, It is great for a big dumb no challenge gun powder romp for those who either don't have Napoleon or want a bigger scale globe dominating adventure outside Europe.

Shame some elements of vanilla are still shite though.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

Battles are basically even more in favor of line infantry than Fall of the Samurai, while artillery is complete and utter poo poo. Seriously, I think I've played every campaign in Empire by building nothing but line infantry.
I liked the thing where you could just straight up create a general anywhere though.

Artillery is actually still really powerful in Empire, they're just not idiot-proof weapons of mass destruction like in FotS. Basically, round shot is pretty pointless except for sniping enemy artillery, generals, and cavalry while canister shot is devastating but requires a bit of micromanagement. With canister you can wipe out swathes of enemy troops and force even elite regiments to quickly route.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Shame really, the more experienced an artillery unit is the more morale damage roundshot should do. But then again, in ETW/NTW it seems being hit by Roundshot either flat out kills you or comically just knocks you on your arse and winds you.

Seriously, I crack up everytime I see that. I need to make a GIF of it.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

Artillery is actually still really powerful in Empire, they're just not idiot-proof weapons of mass destruction like in FotS. Basically, round shot is pretty pointless except for sniping enemy artillery, generals, and cavalry while canister shot is devastating but requires a bit of micromanagement. With canister you can wipe out swathes of enemy troops and force even elite regiments to quickly route.

Well, to be fair, my experience is based solely on singleplayer. And it's much simpler to just have the AI run into your line of death instead of trying to get one good shot off with the cannons until they get charged by the enemy.
I'm sad mortars aren't more accurate, the idea of artillery that you can just put behind your line is awesome.
By the way, is platoon firing actually useful? I could never figure out whether firing by rank was better due to its concentrated morale hits.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Shame really, the more experienced an artillery unit is the more morale damage roundshot should do. But then again, in ETW/NTW it seems being hit by Roundshot either flat out kills you or comically just knocks you on your arse and winds you.

Seriously, I crack up everytime I see that. I need to make a GIF of it.

Isn't that the same in FotS? I've definitely seen a direct hit by naval bombardment fling units 3 meters into the air and then they just get back up again.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

Seriously, mortars and howitzers with percussion shot utterly decimated armies before they reached you. Sure, early game artillery in Empire sucked because it was basically only immobile round shot cannons, but once you got the better shell types they kill everything.

Also with the poo poo AI a few early cannons with canister does wonders against native armies since they'd often bug out on a melee charge and either accidentally stop near the cannon allowing it to wipe them out or kind of stream forward in a cone that seemed to match the canister fire cone exactly.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
TW cannons are really good for killing cavalry because the shots are fast and the AI doesn't actively use terrain to hide their units. Infantry get knocked down if they're on the periphery of a cannonball, but any horseman that gets clipped will die. It's very useful if you want to use cavalry in gunpowder games!

Cannons in Empire start out very slow firing, but eventually you'll get decent guns that are useful for more than canister. Napoleon starts out with good cannons, unless you are the Prussians.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

Well, to be fair, my experience is based solely on singleplayer. And it's much simpler to just have the AI run into your line of death instead of trying to get one good shot off with the cannons until they get charged by the enemy.
I'm sad mortars aren't more accurate, the idea of artillery that you can just put behind your line is awesome.
By the way, is platoon firing actually useful? I could never figure out whether firing by rank was better due to its concentrated morale hits.

I also haven't actually played any Empire multiplayer either. You ought to give artillery a try if you ever play Empire again, it makes the gameplay pretty interesting and can allow small forces to fight off much larger armies (really handy when you're playing something like Prussia which tends to end up with tons of enemies and an early inability to field equally-sized armies).
Mortars are more of an extra tool than a real killing weapon, their unmatched range allows you to force most enemies to come to you. This has the secret benefit of making enemy artillery super vulnerable to round shot sniping, as their hitbox is way bigger when its limbered (and in the same way keeps your artillery from that same danger).
I've never been able to figure if platoon firing is especially better or worse than rank firing. Mostly this is due to me relying on artillery and melee charges for morale damage but there's also the fact that units that get platoon firing are only elite troops so it's hard to compare.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Most of the technical issues that made Empire are long fixed, It is great for a big dumb no challenge gun powder romp for those who either don't have Napoleon or want a bigger scale globe dominating adventure outside Europe.

Shame some elements of vanilla are still shite though.

Yeah, I reinstalled and I'm mostly enjoying it so far. It's a poo poo ton quicker on a 2015-vintage i5 and an SSD than it was on my 2009-vintage triple core AMD shitbox and spinning rust; waiting minutes every time the AI took its turn was (apart from the bugs) the main reason I stopped playing it.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

DaveCG posted:

Even so, some mods on the newer games are still amazing. Great War mod for nappy is pretty balls to the god drat wall from what I've seen. TWC is terrible but drat if it doesn't have some talented people.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah Naval bombardment had the same 'ow artilley I fell over' action in FOTS too. I guess they originally planned for artillery to dismember but they either didn't around to do it thanks to coding or rating issues (got to make sure our bloody war games are child friendly!)

I really wish they'd find a way to replace the tall ships in that WW1 mod for Napoleon, all it is really needing is a strategy light naval compoment matching the era. They've done an impressive amount of work so far.

I hope they will eventually get around to helping the dudes making the 19th century mod for ETW better.

feedmegin posted:

Yeah, I reinstalled and I'm mostly enjoying it so far. It's a poo poo ton quicker on a 2015-vintage i5 and an SSD than it was on my 2009-vintage triple core AMD shitbox and spinning rust; waiting minutes every time the AI took its turn was (apart from the bugs) the main reason I stopped playing it.

God ETW at the start was just such a sloppy badly thrown together beta that should have remained in development for three more years. To this day I never understood that rush to get it out the door. Just look at the stiff competition they faced.

Which you can't. These games don't have any. And hardcore fans are happy to play one title for yeeeeears.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Who else is playing Arena? I've been having fun as Ariminius, scouting and lurking in the occasional forest.

Also screw the people who take like 3 cheiroballistas and spend the entire match staring awkwardly into space near the home camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Does empire have the automatic unit regeneration thing? If it does i'd probably get it.