Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Well today I learned a very important lesson, and that lesson is don't try to shoot up on morphine while driving at 120km/hr through zombie infested streets, or you'll do what I did and bounce off a hulk, lose control and powerslide into a gas station annihilating every last trace of your existance.

Also I built a screen-wide mobile fortess with eight "legs" with minitanks for feet, all out of heavy duty frames, steel plating, composite armor and enough guns to cause another apocalypse singlehandedly...and it sank into a swimming pool, never to be seen again :(

edit: am i the only person who builds 2-frame bikes with twin v12 engines and try to see how many building/cars you can plough through, and how far you can Johnny Windscreen yourself at the same time?

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Nov 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

New nightlies own, there's some really good UI changes, and the equipment system got a bit of an overhaul. The main screen now has a minimap of whatever your character can see! Also holsters and (non-2.5L) canteens now hang over a leg, and you can have one for each leg. (Ankle holsters work similar with feet.)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
It looks like there was a change a week or so ago to nerf zombie upgrading.

There's no longer a chance for zombies to randomly mutate into a hulk (or anything else) on day 1, and the default "evolution scaling factor" setting was changed from 1 to 4 (so it takes 4x as long).

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Is there a mod that allows for maps other than new england wastelands?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's desert. It's pretty sandy.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Web Weaver and fires don't mix very well, it turns out.

The house I had been using as a shelter had a ton of spiderwebs around it from me walking in and out, and I made the dumb decision of lighting a fire to cook just outside. I realized after lighting it that I had left the water I wanted to purify in the building, but when I walked back to it I left a trail of flammable spiderwebs. Now the house is on fire and I can hear all my bullets exploding.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Web Weaver and fires don't mix very well, it turns out.

The house I had been using as a shelter had a ton of spiderwebs around it from me walking in and out, and I made the dumb decision of lighting a fire to cook just outside. I realized after lighting it that I had left the water I wanted to purify in the building, but when I walked back to it I left a trail of flammable spiderwebs. Now the house is on fire and I can hear all my bullets exploding.

I hadn't considered that mutation, but fire certainly is the best solution to spiders.
I can only imagine what your base will look like afterwards, given spider-dens usually get turned into gravel and rebar.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

aerion111 posted:

I hadn't considered that mutation, but fire certainly is the best solution to spiders.
I can only imagine what your base will look like afterwards, given spider-dens usually get turned into gravel and rebar.

Well the entire thing exploded because of my ammo stockpile, so all of my food, water, and other loot was buried under rubble. Although a bit later I got a quest from an NPC which magically spawned a working computer terminal in the middle of the rubble, which was kinda funny.

From then on I was very careful about lighting fires when I needed to boil more toilet water. Ended up dying by crashing into a boulder in the middle of a city and getting gangbanged by a few zombies and shockers.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Didn't see this mentioned, but someone made an iOS port of the damned thing. Clunky as all hell, but if you're into getting your Cata fix on the go it might work for you.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

aerion111 posted:

I decided to fight my way into a few spider lairs for reals instead of burning everything down and found power armour helmet, a survivor map, and a bunch of other goodies that were actually kinda useful. Usually at least 1 good thing per lair if you can do it.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
After several hours spread over a month of playtime canvassing wasp and spider sites for a power armor helmet, I finally found one. Granted, it's a light helmet when I was hoping for a heavy, but it's Mk II either way and I'll loving well take it. It was in literally the last basement I had to search on the last block in the entire city. If I hadn't found it there, I had planned on giving up entirely, as I had already individually checked over 120 houses in this city alone, not counting the more casual search of about eight other towns and cities over my entire playtime this year...so, at an estimate, maybe 500 houses checked before I finally found a single helmet? And that's not counting breaking into two dozen banks and canvassing every pawn shop and milsurp store I could find. And military bunkers, and military outposts, and every vaguely militaria-themed zombie I could get my hands on in labs or at corpse sites, random crates...

I really shouldn't have even bothered and just spawned the drat thing for myself. Jesus Christ. What an absurdly rare spawn.

Oh, and I should probably mention that in addition to fighting all the hordes of zombies on the surface for access to the houses topside, I basically had to search the entire area of the city TWICE by burrowing around with a UPS jackhammer; as it turns out, something like one out of every three basements fails to spawn a corresponding downstair in their associated house, so the only way to find them is with digging.

E: Celebrating with a fusion blaster rampage. Catharsis.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 14, 2015

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Cataclysm NPC logic: LMOE start, my day 1 NPC hanging out outside asks me to kill a Jabberwock, which I do thanks to the M1014 that spawned in the shelter. Fast forward a month, another NPC comes in and asks me to kill another Jabberwock. I go upstairs, and the same day 1 NPC rushes past me and takes out the Jabberwock before I can even get close.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He was actually just seeing if you're bad enough to roll with him.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's why I just play with NPCs off. They're freaking ridiculous.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Larry Parrish posted:

That's why I just play with NPCs on. They're freaking ridiculous.

This is the real answer. The game is so much more fun when some chucklefuck decides to hunt possum with a homemade flamethrower.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Counterpoint: Even in the latest experimental, there seems to be virtually no sanity checking or limitations on where NPC's spawn. I started up a game fresh yesterday with the latest build, hosed around a bit, and started putting together a nice little fortified basement shelter to hide from the wrath of the NPCs who kept spawning to try and mug me or run after me waving fully-automatic weapons while demanding we chat/I surrender. I get the basics set up, and lie down to sleep. I wake up, and blunder into an NPC who spawned in the next loving room of this tiny-rear end basement, bypassing all the walls/doors/furniture/etc to keep them out, and he promptly starts shanking me. I win the knife-fight (by bringing a gun), but if he had an SMG I would have been dead immediately.

I'm getting the feeling it will be wise in the future to toggle off NPC spawns before sleeping. Or crafting, for that matter; some other motherfucker held me up and stole my weapons because I was batch-crafting at the time, and I wasn't given a chance to stop in order to confront them or run.

I like that the NPCs are a little crazy, but I dislike that they're mostly murderous sociopathic kleptomaniacs who all want to mug me and can phase in through solid rock to ruin my day. They at least shouldn't be able to spawn in a short radius from you, probably about a map tile's worth, just so you can mitigate the lethality and enjoy their insanity for longer. They seem to quite happily spawn right in plain sight, so I'm not actually sure there's ANY limitations on them spawning at present.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Dec 29, 2015

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Counterpoint: Even in the latest experimental, there seems to be virtually no sanity checking or limitations on where NPC's spawn. I started up a game fresh yesterday with the latest build, hosed around a bit, and started putting together a nice little fortified basement shelter to hide from the wrath of the NPCs who kept spawning to try and mug me or run after me waving fully-automatic weapons while demanding we chat/I surrender. I get the basics set up, and lie down to sleep. I wake up, and blunder into an NPC who spawned in the next loving room of this tiny-rear end basement, bypassing all the walls/doors/furniture/etc to keep them out, and he promptly starts shanking me. I win the knife-fight (by bringing a gun), but if he had an SMG I would have been dead immediately.

I'm getting the feeling it will be wise in the future to toggle off NPC spawns before sleeping. Or crafting, for that matter; some other motherfucker held me up and stole my weapons because I was batch-crafting at the time, and I wasn't given a chance to stop in order to confront them or run.

I like that the NPCs are a little crazy, but I dislike that they're mostly murderous sociopathic kleptomaniacs who all want to mug me and can phase in through solid rock to ruin my day. They at least shouldn't be able to spawn in a short radius from you, probably about a map tile's worth, just so you can mitigate the lethality and enjoy their insanity for longer. They seem to quite happily spawn right in plain sight, so I'm not actually sure there's ANY limitations on them spawning at present.

Sounds like NPCs are programmed to be RPG PCs played like 99% of all players play them, murderous kleptomaniac psychopaths.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Coffeehitler posted:

Sounds like NPCs are programmed to be RPG PCs played like 99% of all players play them, murderous kleptomaniac psychopaths.

Really brings the multi-player aspect to life, without any other real people.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Haha, that's certainly one way of looking at it, yes.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I'm playing around with the new farming vehicle parts and they seem pretty ridiculous so far. I haven't done anything but plant yet, but it's ridiculously easy to plant a whole row of seeds in like 5 minutes (IRL and game time). Garden supply stores: the new gun store.

E: Combine my fruit farm with the ant hill down the road and I'm going to be able to switch to eating only protein shakes in a bit here.

E2: Oh and if you can't move the tractor once you turn on the farm tools (you'll see speed bouncing between ~5 and 0), you need more horsepower. A gas I4 wouldn't quite move 5 seed drills, but a gas V8 did, sweet spot is probably a V6 of some kind.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 31, 2015

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah, farm equipment is ludicrous. 100 farm squares turned into 400 raspberries/dehydrated fruits. It's almost unfortunate, once you get all the parts together to make a kickass tractor, you only need to use it once or twice.

E: The thresher also seems to give way more seeds than normal farming, but I'm not sure if that's the thresher or a recent change in the experimentals. 100 seeds turned into 850 seeds so if you really need tens of thousands of dehydrated fruit or flour or something you could get there in under a game year.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 4, 2016

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
So you can just make your own safe food-filled farm haven in the post-apocalyptic Eastern Seaboard region?

Guarded presumably by automated laser turrets hooked up to solar batteries...

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Artificer posted:

So you can just make your own safe food-filled farm haven in the post-apocalyptic Eastern Seaboard region?

Guarded presumably by automated laser turrets hooked up to solar batteries...

As long as NPCs don't come around, sure

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

:byodood:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Please tell me this works with cannabis and you can just sit on a loving mountain of weed hotboxing, eating pot brownies, and taking massive bong rips until the game doesn't know what to do and decades to just kill you because something something depressant overdose

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

Please tell me this works with cannabis and you can just sit on a loving mountain of weed hotboxing, eating pot brownies, and taking massive bong rips until the game doesn't know what to do and decades to just kill you because something something depressant overdose

it loving better, i havent found any hemp seeds yet this playthrough

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

And here I was thinking my one-screen of farm was good.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

It's completely useless though, I already have ~1k dehydrated fruit off the last harvest which was only 250 seeds. I just planted 1300 seeds in about an hour of game time and maybe 5m of IRL time.

E: Just extrapolated, 1300 seeds should give about 5200 fruit which will turn into dehydrated fruit 1 for 1. Each batch of 40 fruit takes 2h19m, so dehydrating all 5200 fruit would take 301 game hours or almost 19 days working 16hr a day. I literally can't dehydrate all of this before it rots or before the next crop would be ready.

Can I employ NPCs yet?

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 4, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

You actually can. If an NPC follower knows the recipe (they can learn by watching you), they'll assist with batch crafting and cut down on the time taken.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Couldn't you dump the extra fruit into an ice lab (Every 10 degrees below 18degC halving rot rate) so it won't rot before you finish dehydrating your harvest? Then it's a matter of getting a large enough slave labour to reduce the time and you can finish before next harvest!

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Sage Grimm posted:

Couldn't you dump the extra fruit into an ice lab (Every 10 degrees below 18degC halving rot rate) so it won't rot before you finish dehydrating your harvest? Then it's a matter of getting a large enough slave labour to reduce the time and you can finish before next harvest!

Yup. A few experimentals ago I kept fresh-picked berries for over a year in the top basement level of an ice lab. The problem isn't labor, it's playing for long enough to actually use your infinite nutrition. A season of solo cooking would give you over a year's worth of permanent food. With that supplemented by random pickups, I always start a new character or explode in my car before I get halfway through such a pile of food.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Help I think I have an addiction to holsters.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Do you just walk around with a brace of flintlock pistols like a pirate or what :stare:

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

buttcoinbrony posted:

Help I think I have an addiction to holsters.

Needs more more scabbards and sheaths. I mean what are you going to do if your half dozen firearms fail you?

EDIT: Similar concept applied to a VW Van

It has a Mk 19 Grenade Launcher, a M2 Browning, a 155mm Howitzer, a M60, a ATGM Launcher, and a 30mm Chaingun. More firepower than I could ever possibly need, and since only the ATGM has turret controls, I have to ghost ride my whip whenever I actually want to use any of it. I don't know if I'm going to bother with turret mounts since crawling onto the hood of my vehicle so I can hose down brutes with .50 cal fire while careening down the road is probably the most bad rear end thing I've done in this game.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 5, 2016

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Reminds me I gotta install a howitzer on a bike and see what happens. :getin:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Oh, wait. There's no sanity checks on where ANYTHING spawns; just had a bee spawn in a tiny room with me while sleeping because there's a beehive about four map tiles away. Huh. I guess I didn't realize it before because I played with random NPCs off and tended to make bases far enough away from anything remotely dangerous so I never saw it.

That kind of seems like an oversight. poo poo probably shouldn't pop into existence right next to you; I'd definitely be cool with taking a nap and popping open the door to find a surprise horde milling outside, but poo poo spawning in the tile next to you seems a little excessive.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

buttcoinbrony posted:

It's completely useless though, I already have ~1k dehydrated fruit off the last harvest which was only 250 seeds. I just planted 1300 seeds in about an hour of game time and maybe 5m of IRL time.

E: Just extrapolated, 1300 seeds should give about 5200 fruit which will turn into dehydrated fruit 1 for 1. Each batch of 40 fruit takes 2h19m, so dehydrating all 5200 fruit would take 301 game hours or almost 19 days working 16hr a day. I literally can't dehydrate all of this before it rots or before the next crop would be ready.

Can I employ NPCs yet?
It would be a lot easier to make a new car module that take all the fruits in a vehicle container and dehydrate them.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I was thinking about something like the constructed charcoal kiln where you put items on the tile and activate it, but I'm not sure if the underlying code knows how to handle two types of input (charcoal and fruit/veggies/meat). I assume the vehicle water purifier code is set to work with tanks so that's probably harder. Maybe the vehicle recharger code? Make it dehydrate only, consume power, and gradually turn the fresh items into dehydrated?

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

buttcoinbrony posted:

I was thinking about something like the constructed charcoal kiln where you put items on the tile and activate it, but I'm not sure if the underlying code knows how to handle two types of input (charcoal and fruit/veggies/meat). I assume the vehicle water purifier code is set to work with tanks so that's probably harder. Maybe the vehicle recharger code? Make it dehydrate only, consume power, and gradually turn the fresh items into dehydrated?

You're probably right about the multiple inputs issue. It might be possible to do it in multiple kiln-like stages. Craft a fueled dehydrator from an empty dehydrator and fuel, craft a full dehydrator from a fueled dehydrator and like 50 fruit, activate like a kiln and end up with an empty dehydrator and a bunch of dried fruit on the ground.

Unrelated question: I just found a pristine and fueled security van parked outside a jewelry store, was that random or is it in the jewelry store spawn code? The trunk was full of gold and such so it looks related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

palamedes posted:

Unrelated question: I just found a pristine and fueled security van parked outside a jewelry store, was that random or is it in the jewelry store spawn code? The trunk was full of gold and such so it looks related.

Not sure but I found the exact same thing in the same spot so its possibly non-random.

I got it as a brand new character, and was probably the best find I could possibly make at that point.