Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Okay so let's say some of these people get their wish and piracy works the way they want i.e. 'honourable' pirates who generally don't kill you.

You get captured. Here's your options.

1. You are instantly 'ransomed' and immediately appear in a nearby space station. Ruins immersion. Unacceptable.

2. You are captured and have to stay on the pirate ship until they deliver you somewhere to ransom you. Enjoy not doing anything in this game you dropped $30k on for an undefined amount of hours until they get around to dropping you off, I guess.

3. You are captured. Goons leave you in the cell forever and leave the ship you're in in low/decaying orbit.

The only rational approach to being beaten but not killed by a pirate becomes immediate suicide, lest you are stuck in a jail cell indefinitely. All you've done is remove the need for the pirates to waste the bullet.

See you in the 'verse.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Breetai posted:

Okay so let's say some of these people get their wish and piracy works the way they want i.e. 'honourable' pirates who generally don't kill you.

1. You are instantly 'ransomed' and immediately appear in a nearby space station. Ruins immersion. Unacceptable.

2. You are captured and have to stay on the pirate ship until they deliver you somewhere to ransom you. Enjoy not doing anything in this game you dropped $30k on for an undefined amount of hours until they get around to dropping you off, I guess.

3. You are captured. Goons leave you in the cell forever and leave the ship you're in in low/decaying orbit.

The only rational approach to being beaten but not killed by a pirate becomes immediate suicide, lest you are stuck in a jail cell indefinitely. All you've done is remove the need for the pirates to waste the bullet.

See you in the 'verse.

Look, we'll get to piracy consequences later. We've got more important things to deal with first, like people running in the spaceport.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Breetai posted:

See you in the 'verse.

I think they mentioned at some point converting the real person into an npc once captured, respawning them in uee space while allowing the pirates to continue on with their mission with a body. Who knows though, they've said pretty much everything at this point. Actually I seem to remember them saying both the captured person could have npc pirates and could escape and the pirates could have a captured person, the instances break off into two separate things. lol. Which given performance currently makes complete sense of course! Multiple universes for every possible decision!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Eonwe posted:

It's like you make chili and it doesn't have beans

You can call it chili but its obviously meat stew

fuzzknot posted:

Haha; yes--I taught him to make chili and insisted on using beans because otherwise it's . . . not chili.

His chili is drat good. :3:

some pretty bad chili opinions on this page

what makes chili is the spices, and specifically the chili pepper. you could have a pure vegetable chili if you wanted, but that would be pretty bad because the hearty blend of capascin and cerotine doesn't work well with most vegetables.

legumes of all kinds are sort of an exception because they are sort of spongy without being runny, so they soak up the lovely buzz of the chili without becoming a terrible mess the way it would be if you put a lot of flour or something in it.

or, you know, alternately you could stop pretending and put beef, chicken, and pork in there, which is the original marinating medium, and just have a good experience backward to forward. i mean you can go with beans or whatever if you want, nobody's judging you, but you're just gonna have a better time if you just go full on with stuff that marinades properly. you don't marinade beans for a reason!

anyway my personal chili tip is to put a beer of your choice into the crock pot as you're cooking it. darker beers like porters and stouts work better, but if you're a huge fan of lagers i've had a couple of those also work okay. paprika and cloves are also good complementary spices.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Mr.Tophat posted:

This:

(Just in case you're in the same boat as me and enjoying booze on Christmas Eve of all nights and are suitably imbibed; the bigwigs just got out of jail and get regular payments from being part of a company, and this dude redirected those funds to those they hosed over)

That's amazing dancing cat man. Your friend is a hero. A proverbial robin hood. Merry Christmas everyone!

wow. if that story is true, then thats amazingly awesome.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Eonwe posted:

*Opens bookmarked link reddit.com/u/beer4thebeergod for the first of many times today*

What do you want? People aren't just going to stalk themselves you know?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Breetai posted:

See you in the 'verse.

Uhhhhh EXCUSE ME, have we forgotten that this is star citizen we're talking about? a game where anything is possible?

OBVIOUSLY because you can do anything you want that means you can just make yourself a device that makes sitting still for 3 hours incredibly fun and exciting, I mean come on have you not learned anything by now? yeeesh

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

G0RF posted:

It's like a Rembrandt of Parp Art.

The time will oneday come when our grandchildren will tour the lourve and be told of the great masters of the parpist art movement, some 50-60 years from now, and perhaps a little before SC comes out of alpha.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

We are pointing out that a fangirl who claim bug-free playing experiences while encountering a plethora of bugs is not seeing things especially clearly. Just as when she complained about paying $60 for a planetary landing expansion in a commercially available game*-- while she has no problems whatsoever with the fact she's spent $4000 on spaceships for use in a game which hasn't yet released.

That is all.

* Here she claims to have backed it for $150 originally, so if true, she would be entitled to all future expansions of Elite without paying more.

Uhm, what is a shill?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Warcabbit posted:

As a New Yorker, I have to say that it is not a pizza pie but a casserole.

This post triggered me. You are worse than Hittler Sandi.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Coolguye posted:

some pretty bad chili opinions on this page

what makes chili is the spices

The chili recipe I helped him create is somewhere in this thread, but since I can't be arsed to find it, here it is again:

2-3 rashers diced bacon
1.25 lbs ground chuck
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can red kidney beans, undrained
1 can tomato sauce
1 can diced tomato
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2-3 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
dash paprika
dash cumin
dash Cholula sauce
dash oregano
salt and pepper to taste
optional toppings: shredded red cabbage, finely chopped onion, grated cheddar, finely chopped jalapeno

1. Cook bacon. When bacon is about halfway cooked, add chuck, onion, and garlic. Cook till meat is just brown and add bell pepper, tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and kidney beans. Add spices.
2. Bring to boil, reduce, and simmer till vegetables are done and chili reaches desired consistency.

edit: Yeah, half a bottle or so of light beer works very well too when added with the tomatoes and whatnot; you just have to remember to either reduce the other liquids a bit or let it simmer longer.

fuzzknot fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 24, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

grimcreaper posted:

wow. if that story is true, then thats amazingly awesome.

It is, hand on heart, it's true.
I know at the end of it all I am just really a dude on the net but you can trust me on this, I have been hearing more and it's just the most stunning thing I've heard in years.
I already knew about him having a big hand in sending these assholes down, and I know the full story there.
I need to chat with him and get his OK on a few things but the TLDR is:

My mate just gave £3.8 million of some crime rings money away to charity live on Periscope while two of them were watching lmao

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Did anyone ever get all the recipes from the different threads together?

Ill have to see if i can get my mom to give me her lentil chili recipe. Its my absolute favorite. Would love to share it since its amazing.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

I know at the end of it all I am just really a dude on the net but you can trust me on this, I have been hearing more and it's just the most stunning thing I've heard in years.
I already knew about him having a big hand in sending these assholes down, and I know the full story there.

My mate just gave £3.8 million of some crime rings money away to charity live on Periscope while two of them were watching lmao

You friend is a hero. If only there were more people like him.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

grimcreaper posted:

You friend is a hero. If only there were more people like him.

He's an amazingly interesting guy in general, leads a crazy life

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

peter gabriel posted:

And this is legal and/or not going to get him murdered because...?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Evil Fluffy posted:

And this is legal and/or not going to get him murdered because...?

That's the bit I need to find out, I know it's legal as his solicitors were all informed etc, I don't know the exact way he could have done it, but it's to do with a pool of money more than one person could get to, I'll find out later on hopefully.
The whole getting killed thing is another story, and the bit I am worried about, his take on that is (from his text to me just now) 'gently caress em' :lol:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Looking for boxed games at the store? I guess that explains why they thought PC gaming needed saving...

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

BMan posted:

Looking for boxed games at the store? I guess that explains why they thought PC gaming needed saving...

They had no floppy discs either! Software is on its way out. It is very sad

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Merry Christmas and a happy new year, this is the best thread ever.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

So this game is poo poo right?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

That's the bit I need to find out, I know it's legal as his solicitors were all informed etc, I don't know the exact way he could have done it, but it's to do with a pool of money more than one person could get to, I'll find out later on hopefully.
The whole getting killed thing is another story, and the bit I am worried about, his take on that is (from his text to me just now) 'gently caress em' :lol:

I, too have some doubts about the legality of this thing, since I saw the exact same thing happening in a kung-fu movie once. On the other hand, our local laws include dumb bullshit like subpoenas counting as served personally as soon as they reach your mail box (What you're lying incapacitated in a hospital, are on holiday outside the country or dead? The state says gently caress YOU.) so what the hell, it could be possible. Stupid laws are a universal constant of human civilization.

BMan posted:

Hey, our local stores are still full to the brim with games! You can get all the poo poo (and literally the poo poo) you want, boxed! The last time I bought a game in a store, I also literally only got the box. Inside the box was a redeemable Steam-code. Progress!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Libluini posted:

I, too have some doubts about the legality of this thing, since I saw the exact same thing happening in a kung-fu movie once. On the other hand, our local laws include dumb bullshit like subpoenas counting as served personally as soon as they reach your mail box (What you're lying incapacitated in a hospital, are on holiday outside the country or dead? The state says gently caress YOU.) so what the hell, it could be possible. Stupid laws are a universal constant of human civilization.

I'll find out the details on that bit, even if it's not tonight because I agree, leave it with me :)

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

peter gabriel posted:

And here I was thinking you were an actual catte. Christmas is ruined.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
But in seriousness, that's a pretty awesome story.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Chris Roberts was in Lord of War?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Paul Zuvella posted:

So this game is poo poo right?

It's a scam.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

MilesK posted:

Merry Chrismas everyone, I made you this.

I've said it before and I say it again: CRobber probably doesn't even exist any more. It's just some unusually deranged Barney Calhoun cosplayer that's run amuck and taken over his life.

…hmm, that was a bit redundant.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Decrepus posted:

I think someone said he was producer #12 or something. Knowing croberts like I do, I'm sure the movie was just a very well managed scheme to launder illegal gun money.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Decrepus posted:

He was a Producer, specifically one of about 238957629354876 on that movie.

It's safe to assume his role didn't extend further than asking for money off someone, which is what he seems to do best.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

fuzzknot posted:

The chili recipe I helped him create is somewhere in this thread, but since I can't be arsed to find it, here it is again:

2-3 rashers diced bacon
1.25 lbs ground chuck
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can red kidney beans, undrained
1 can tomato sauce
1 can diced tomato
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2-3 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
dash paprika
dash cumin
dash Cholula sauce
dash oregano
salt and pepper to taste
optional toppings: shredded red cabbage, finely chopped onion, grated cheddar, finely chopped jalapeno

1. Cook bacon. When bacon is about halfway cooked, add chuck, onion, and garlic. Cook till meat is just brown and add bell pepper, tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and kidney beans. Add spices.
2. Bring to boil, reduce, and simmer till vegetables are done and chili reaches desired consistency.

edit: Yeah, half a bottle or so of light beer works very well too when added with the tomatoes and whatnot; you just have to remember to either reduce the other liquids a bit or let it simmer longer.

that's a drat fine recipe, good call on the cholula sauce. if you're gonna go the garlic route i like to drop some diced peanuts in there too for texture, though it also adds in the salt to taste that you mentioned at the bottom.

i kinda feel like chili is the best measure of someone's growth as a cook, and as a purveyor of food, honestly. it's a really dynamic dish and you can mess with it pretty much endlessly, contrasting to a bunch of other dishes, so it's easy for beginners to pick up and still fun for veterans to tinker with. it's funny, because most people i've met who have Opinions about chili, be they good or bad, usually know how to eat the hell out of a decent meal. the ones who have 'opinions' instead are typically the jerks who think that wendy's is as good as you need.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Coolguye posted:

that's a drat fine recipe, good call on the cholula sauce. if you're gonna go the garlic route i like to drop some diced peanuts in there too for texture, though it also adds in the salt to taste that you mentioned at the bottom.

i kinda feel like chili is the best measure of someone's growth as a cook, and as a purveyor of food, honestly. it's a really dynamic dish and you can mess with it pretty much endlessly, contrasting to a bunch of other dishes, so it's easy for beginners to pick up and still fun for veterans to tinker with. it's funny, because most people i've met who have Opinions about chili, be they good or bad, usually know how to eat the hell out of a decent meal. the ones who have 'opinions' instead are typically the jerks who think that wendy's is as good as you need.

:3: I told Bootcha the cooking lessons were going well when he learned how to develop a decent chili and season it according to what he thought it needed.

Also, Wendy's? :gonk: I worked there when I was in school, and that chili is horrifying. Do NOT eat it.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

He's an amazingly interesting guy in general, leads a crazy life

Christmas gift idea: give him the gift that keeps on giving. Get him an SA account!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

peter gabriel posted:

If I had to guess I'd say it's probably something like the money did not directly belong to the people but was deposited into some sort of trust, which your buddy had legal access to through some method, which gives him legal right to do whateverthefuck with the money because trust fund law is a deliberately loopholey shitshow designed to allow everyone involved as many opportunities as possible to gently caress everyone else over

I may be entirely wrong of course since I haven't looked I to trust law in literally years and it may not even be remotely the same in the UK but

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

mr. stefan posted:

If I had to guess I'd say it's probably something like the money did not directly belong to the people but was deposited into some sort of trust, which your buddy had legal access to through some method, which gives him legal right to do whateverthefuck with the money because trust fund law is a deliberately loopholey shitshow designed to allow everyone involved as many opportunities as possible to gently caress everyone else over

I may be entirely wrong of course since I haven't looked I to trust law in literally years and it may not even be remotely the same in the UK but

No it was some kind of bollocks trust fund type thing, he's coming over in an hour or so and I'll ask him to clarify it

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

grimcreaper posted:

Christmas gift idea: give him the gift that keeps on giving. Get him an SA account!

gently caress yeah

no way lol

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

friends don't let friends post on sa

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

peter gabriel posted:

No it was some kind of bollocks trust fund type thing, he's coming over in an hour or so and I'll ask him to clarify it

Yeah iirc when you create a trust fund and deposit assets into it you're essentially creating a new legal entity (the trust) and the assets stop being yours and become property of the Trust, which is looked over by x number of trustees with a legal right to control the trusts assets

Basically what it sounds like is those fuckers set up a trust for all of their money while they were in jail and your friend somehow either became a trustee or convinced a trustee to give him equal status, which is hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

mr. stefan posted:

Yeah iirc when you create a trust fund and deposit assets into it you're essentially creating a new legal entity (the trust) and the assets stop being yours and become property of the Trust, which is looked over by x number of trustees with a legal right to control the trusts assets

Basically what it sounds like is those fuckers set up a trust for all of their money while they were in jail and your friend somehow either became a trustee or convinced a trustee to give him equal status, which is hilarious

Sounds about right to me but I am semi guessing, I'll update this though after he has gone :v:

Any funny SC stuff going on?

• Locked thread