Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

lol, the whole reason i used hangouts is that i have terrible signal in my office and could still text my wife and friends who know how to use hangouts via wifi, but not have to communicate with, like, my mom and other olds who only know how to sms with a totally separate app. Integration was the whole selling point of it for me.

As much as I'm loathe to repurchase all the apps I have on my android, and as much as I'll miss the customization of using third party launchers and stuff, I may very well just have to go iPhone next upgrade. I'd like to be on an ecosystem that doesn't constantly take steps backwards for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

It is if you use Google Voice! There's the option to pick voice call, SMS, or Hangouts.

The Hangouts Chrome extension is pretty awesome like that.

That's part of the problem, though. Hangouts is basically the opposite of something that "just works" like imessage, requiring lots of setup or esoteric things like Google Voice that almost no one has.

Like, I would like to SMS from my computer using something seamless like hangouts, but that would require me to set up Google voice. I'm one of the few people who actually HAS a GV number, but I only use it for voicemail, so using it would require telling everyone I know to change my phone number. It's not worth it.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
They should just rename "Hangouts" to "Messenger" and make it seamless like iMessage, as already mentioned.

I use "Hangouts" for like 3 people (only 1 of which actually know what it is) and yeah it's great to reply on the desktop instead occasionally, but everyone else just sends me texts via sms/mms.

I usually just use Textra and it has been fine for me.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 23, 2015

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Do Google ... actually know what they're doing? Has someone's unemployable fuckup cousin been promoted to the Messaging team?

'whoooo wants some STICKERS? :holy:'

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Keyser S0ze posted:

I use "Hangouts" for like 3 people (only 1 of which actually know what it is) and yeah it's great to reply on the desktop instead occasionally, but everyone else just sends me texts via sms/mms.

I'm the exact opposite. Everyone I know uses hangouts and I just have like 3 people that text me (like my parents.)

So, SMS is infrequent for me. I might send a hundred messages on hangouts a day, but I'll only send a few dozen SMS in a month.

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

Krime posted:

Gmail - Note 5

Sometimes when I go to select a bunch of emails, it will let me touch on all of the circles to select them and delete. Sometimes when I touch a circle it takes me to the email. I've seen no rhyme or reason to the difference and it's annoying as hell.

I've even been very careful before making sure I absolutely, positively hit the circle to select it, but nope... it opens the email (sometimes).

It's a pretty annoying issue, because I want the drat thing to work the same every time.

Anyone else experience this?

Yeah, same thing happens on my Note 5.

Along the same vein, is there a quick way to send an open email to the trash in Inbox? It seems they replaced the trash icon with "done," but I don't want to archive every lovely email I receive. Or maybe I just don't understand the point/functionality of Done.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Taffer posted:

That's part of the problem, though. Hangouts is basically the opposite of something that "just works" like imessage, requiring lots of setup or esoteric things like Google Voice that almost no one has.

Like, I would like to SMS from my computer using something seamless like hangouts, but that would require me to set up Google voice. I'm one of the few people who actually HAS a GV number, but I only use it for voicemail, so using it would require telling everyone I know to change my phone number. It's not worth it.

Yes, I wasn't defending hangouts as being good because of that, just that in that narrow use case it works well and if you want that functionality that's how you get it.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Honestly if Google just built a MightyText-like functionality into Messenger and made a messenger.google.com page or Chrome extension or whatever for it, I'd be happy. I don't need a dedicated IM/video chat service.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Offered as a brief respite from Messenger talk, I just started using a "brain training" app called Elevate and while I won't speak to its effectiveness as a brain trainer, boy is it a beautifully designed app. Check it out for free and tap on some words and poo poo or whatever I dunno. I wish more people would design their apps like this.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Taffer posted:

So Google already has messenger and hangouts, both of which are complete poo poo, and it's plan is to.... Make a 3rd app that supposed to compete with one of the biggest texting/messaging apps out there?

Okay.

Wave's back, baby! With chatbots

I'm gonna guess the idea is something like moving Google Now into more spaces. Instead of having a separate search app you can interact with by directing voice commands at it, maybe followed by some more voice commands, it could become an entity you can just chat to like a knowledgeable person you know, which might feel more natural for some people.

Or so you can have conversations where you can ask this lurking presence a question and it responds in the chat where everyone can see, and anyone in there can interact with it to get extra info, like if you're planning a day out or something. So instead of going to look stuff up and then relaying the information back to everyone yourself, Google is right in there With You Always, that helpful third party chat participant. Or like that Alexa thing, except it's in all your virtual social spaces instead of your physical one

Then there'll be multiple chatbots that are some experiment in AI personalities, with their own mannerisms and likes and opinions based on harvesting user interaction data and branding opportunities helpful suggestions about what similar people seem to be into. Maybe the chatbots will start trying to be your friend and message you of their own accord. Bro, have you heard this band on YouTube Red? They're totally playing Coachella this year

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
That's creepy as gently caress and the instant a random bot chirps up with a unsolicited suggestion in messaging, people are going to flip their poo poo.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Bhodi posted:

That's creepy as gently caress and the instant a random bot chirps up with a unsolicited suggestion in messaging, people are going to flip their poo poo.

Flip their poo poo more or less than someone responding earnestly to a facetious post?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It's a sad day when the Google now invasion makes it plausible enough to be true

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Solid File Explorer is 99c to unlock today, half of the regular price. For those who are still suffering the sting of ES File Explorer turning to crap, this is a pretty decent replacement/alternative.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.solidexplorer2

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
For anyone who is looking to migrate away from ES Explorer, Solid Explorer is on sale for $0.99 right now. You install the trial and then buy the full version as an in app purchase.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Jinx!

I don't recall it being mentioned, but you can get three months of Google Play Music and YouTube Red for $1 right now.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Rexxed posted:

Solid File Explorer is 99c to unlock today, half of the regular price. For those who are still suffering the sting of ES File Explorer turning to crap, this is a pretty decent replacement/alternative.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

For anyone who is looking to migrate away from ES Explorer, Solid Explorer is on sale for $0.99 right now. You install the trial and then buy the full version as an in app purchase.

Can you transfer files between two devices over wifi with Solid Explorer like you can with ES? It's not something I use that often, but, when I do, it's pretty handy. I don't need a file manager often, so I've still got ES installed, but I've considered switching.

EDIT: gently caress it, I just went ahead and bought it. It's pretty clearly better designed and worth a dollar. I basically only transfer large amounts of files between devices when I upgrade phones, so I'm not sure why I even cared.

XIII fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 24, 2015

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Nice. Purchased.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

XIII posted:

Can you transfer files between two devices over wifi with Solid Explorer like you can with ES? It's not something I use that often, but, when I do, it's pretty handy. I don't need a file manager often, so I've still got ES installed, but I've considered switching.

Under the Share menu there's an option to push your selected files over NFC/Android Beam. Can't speak to how well it works though.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

XIII posted:

EDIT: gently caress it, I just went ahead and bought it. It's pretty clearly better designed and worth a dollar. I basically only transfer large amounts of files between devices when I upgrade phones, so I'm not sure why I even cared.

They have an FTP Server Plugin for it:

This is the FTP Server plugin for Solid Explorer 2.0.

Features:
- remotely manage files on your device from your PC or even another phone/tablet
- configurable shared directories and port number
- password protected or anonymous access
- works in LAN and Access Point mode

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Weird thing: Maps isn't defaulting to my current location when I try to navigate. I have to select Starting Location and hit Current Location. Anyone else getting this?

EDIT: disabling Maps then enabling it again fixed it

XIII fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Dec 25, 2015

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Are the Facebook and its sister Messenger app still massive battery hogs?

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
They never were, hth cyaaaaa~

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

They never were, hth cyaaaaa~

The facebook app was, once upon a time due to excessive GPS usage IIRC.

I find the chat heads feature of messenger made one of my older phones slow to a crawl, so if there's any part of messenger that eats battery that's probably the culprit.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I removed the Facebook app about a month ago and started using the mobile web page version. Battery life has improved pretty substantially as a result.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Are the Facebook and its sister Messenger app still massive battery hogs?

The Messenger app is great for me and I use an old rear end Galaxy S4. I don't have the facebook app installed, I just use the mobile web version to consume less data on my bad verizon plan.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I use the web browser for Facebook and Messenger to chat and have no issues.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
With Chrome allowing Facebook notifications, there is zero legit reason to use the actual app any longer.

Unless you are 13 and live on FB I guess.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Is there any way of customising the notifications chrome gives?

Last time I checked there wasn't, I'd really like a silent with vibrate notification for fb like I can do with the app

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

XIII posted:

I use the web browser for Facebook and Messenger to chat and have no issues.

Yeah, this is what I do as well. I use Firefox though, so I don't get notifications, but it's not like I get that many anyway.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

hotsauce posted:

With Chrome allowing Facebook notifications, there is zero legit reason to use the actual app any longer.

Unless you are 13 and live on FB I guess.

13 year olds live on Twitter and Instagram and Snapchat. Middle aged women live on Facebook.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Vykk.Draygo posted:

13 year olds live on Twitter and Instagram and Snapchat. Middle aged women live on Facebook.

I have nieces and a nephew around that age and they all use facebook and snapchat a lot more than Twitter. Instagram was huge for younger kids until snapchat came around, now I always see them using that app.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

hooah posted:

Yeah, this is what I do as well. I use Firefox though, so I don't get notifications, but it's not like I get that many anyway.

I don't even use the Chrome notifications. I just get emails when things happen and that system works well enough.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Once I disabled all of the GPS bullshit in Facebook and messenger I actually had very little battery suckage from either

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

vyst posted:

Once I disabled all of the GPS bullshit in Facebook and messenger I actually had very little battery suckage from either

That might explain why I've never seen the much talked about battery drain. I always turn that off, simply because none of my friends care where I'm sending messages from, so why bother

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Also turning off auto play of videos in the app helps too.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

senae posted:

The facebook app was, once upon a time due to excessive GPS usage IIRC.

I find the chat heads feature of messenger made one of my older phones slow to a crawl, so if there's any part of messenger that eats battery that's probably the culprit.

I dont find they eat battery anymore but the facebook app gets updated A LOT and when it does it brings my phone to a crawl updating its 18'000 classes, to the point I uninstalled it. The browser version is aces anyway so you don't really lose out. This was on a Nexus 4, maybe its not an issue on newer devices and I haven’t installed it on my new device.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Anyone have a suggestion for a good 'doodle on tablets' app? Ease of use and of sharing are key.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

FredMSloniker posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for a good 'doodle on tablets' app? Ease of use and of sharing are key.

I have Autodesk SketchBook - draw and paint and SketchBook Express installed. They both seem decent sketching programs with similar tool and options. I can't really tell you why Autodesk maintains two apps that do the same thing, just with slightly different layouts. I'm not really an artist, but they seem like quality apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Wierd request of the day: is there an app that works as a speedometer, with audio cues that would help me keep a steady speed? I would set a speed, let's say 10 mph, and when I get below 9.5 mph it says "speed up" and when I get above 10.5 mph it says "slow down".