Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
They're spot on about any casting complaints, but I was really surprised that they were so dismissive of any complaints about the story- it's a solid, fun movie but it's certainly not unassailable, and it was kind of weird to see them take that stance when they're usually so pedantic.

vvvv Edit: I don't really mean trivial Cinema Sins type bullshit, I mean bigger structural issues with the movie maybe trying to fit in one too many narrative threads. I won't poo poo up the thread with more Star Wars talk since there's already two other threads for that, but I just wasn't expecting them to handwave it away. But that's okay, it's okay to love a movie

General Dog fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The Internet's current obsession with nitpicking over "plot holes" is a cancer on cinema.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
This whole season has been great IMO since Eric is present at all times. I think they're all good fun but Eric REALLY cracks me up for some reason.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

Hockles posted:

Well, welcome back to the forums.

I listened to the Hard Target episode again last night after watching the movie, and there were at least 3 separate times I was crying from laughter. The best is the part where Wilford Brimley finds out who (what race) is directing Hard Target.

WHUT?!

Oh poo poo is that the one where Brimley has to perfect a Cajun accent? That bit is spectacular.

"God-dar...goddar-muh...GOD-DAR-MUH I DID IT!"

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

TetsuoTW posted:

The Internet's current obsession with nitpicking over "plot holes" is a cancer on cinema.

I remember seeing one breakdown of Force Awakens that really felt like it was written by someone with no understanding of human beings or storytelling. Like, they said it was a plot hole that Rei didn't accept the offer of 60 rations for the droid because the movie never explained why she would be willing to turn it down for someone she just met. :spergin:

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

TetsuoTW posted:

Agreed. I can't remember the last time I saw a film with an actual honest to god plothole in it. 99% of the time people complaining about "plotholes" just mean they didn't understand a characters motivations. That's sometimes a legitimate complaint but it isn't a plothole. I don't want to turn another thread into a Prometheus discussion but the fact that people call the scientists getting lost in the alien ship or Charlize Theron running in a straight line "plotholes" is really weird.

The whole thing seems to be about a faux intellectual aloofness. It's not just that you didn't like something or didn't understand it - it's that it is logically contradictory, as any clear thinking person could see. Beep boop I am the superior film watcher.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

OrthoTrot posted:

Agreed. I can't remember the last time I saw a film with an actual honest to god plothole in it. 99% of the time people complaining about "plotholes" just mean they didn't understand a characters motivations. That's sometimes a legitimate complaint but it isn't a plothole. I don't want to turn another thread into a Prometheus discussion but the fact that people call the scientists getting lost in the alien ship or Charlize Theron running in a straight line "plotholes" is really weird.

The whole thing seems to be about a faux intellectual aloofness. It's not just that you didn't like something or didn't understand it - it's that it is logically contradictory, as any clear thinking person could see. Beep boop I am the superior film watcher.

Yeah this is why I can't stand stuff like the Everything Wrong With (whatever) videos. They assume everyone would act rationally in all situations. That doesn't happen in real life and it doesn't happen in fiction either.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Yeah this is why I can't stand stuff like the Everything Wrong With (whatever) videos. They assume everyone would act rationally in all situations. That doesn't happen in real life and it doesn't happen in fiction either.
I don't mind those videos, because those videos are doing it as jokes. The problem is a swathe of the Internet has become completely impervious to comedy and takes literally everything at face value.

MisterFister
Jul 6, 2003

Sticking it to THE MAN, assuming THE MAN is an innocent casual dining restaurant.

centaurtainment posted:

You're not giving them anywhere near enough credit. They're funny, but they also make legitimate critical points about almost all of the movies they make episodes about, from both film and social studies perspectives.

Also, to be pedantic (this is the internet, after all) this comes from the About page of their website:

I understand that. Meant they don't have any obligation to be movie critics as they are a comedy podcast.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I really like cinemasins but I wouldn't use them as legitimate grounds to dislike a movie. Nor would I hate a sci-fi movie because Neil deGrasse says it's not realistic. I've had more than one obnoxious conversation with folks who declare that Gravity is the worst movie ever because "the HST and the ISS aren't in the same orbits! Derrr not reality = cinematic garbage!"

Meanwhile they lap up superhero-movies like it's nobody's business.

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015

MisterBibs posted:

Dude, they talked about tearing up/crying over Chewbacca groaning after Han dies*.

They weren't wearing their Nerd Hats, they've got Nerd Fedoras on this time.

* I might be getting the specifics wrong, I was getting sleepy at this point and I need to rewatch.

You sound like a real cool guy.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I like Cinema Sins as a fun trivia video about continuity errors and goofs in movies, but I definitely think that a lot of plot holes the internet goes on about reduce to "Why aren't these characters rationally maximizing their utility".

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I had no idea what 'Snood" was and had to Google it and now I still have no idea what Snood is.

C'mon guys, it Snoke. That's no where near as corny as Snood.....

I have also officially added, "Take it out back and suck it" to my common phrase usage.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I like Cinema Sins as a fun trivia video about continuity errors and goofs in movies, but I definitely think that a lot of plot holes the internet goes on about reduce to "Why aren't these characters rationally maximizing their utility".

A personal favorite was when Cloverfield came out and nerds were mystified a guy would want to go into danger to save a loved one.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

BlameSpacePod posted:

Don't take it personally. He's always like this.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

BlameSpacePod posted:

Don't worry about him. He's literally insane.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
so when is the Rudolph episode dropping?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

BlameSpacePod posted:

We all hate him too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

enigmahfc posted:

I had no idea what 'Snood" was and had to Google it and now I still have no idea what Snood is.

She's real skinny and a cartoon but I dunno she just does it for me. Now that's a Saturday afternoon.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

precision posted:

She's real skinny and a cartoon but I dunno she just does it for me. Now that's a Saturday afternoon.

I'm even more confused now.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

enigmahfc posted:

I'm even more confused now.

Jesse "The Body" Ventura's Saturday nights as a governor you slack-jawed so-and-so

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Jesse Ventura might have just replaced Wilford Brimley as my favorite WHM impression. What a great episode.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
My mom used to spend hours playing Snood on the family PC back in the day. I hadn't thought about that game in like 15 years.

Now I can only hear the name in Jesse Ventura's voice. Goddamn I love that impression.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've been driving my wife nuts with "I've seen the documents"

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

precision posted:

I've been driving my wife nuts with "I've seen the documents"

I made the mistake of showing my husband the Hamburger The Motion Picture episode and now I can't say "ten" without him counting tens Abraxas-style.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I made the mistake of showing my husband the Hamburger The Motion Picture episode and now I can't say "ten" without him counting tens Abraxas-style.

Hamburger: The Motion Picture is an awful movie but it did give us this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4TThyZuDYY

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Entourage movie story: In this forum, I was once accused of working on the movie because I thought a bad review of it was more about the reviewer's exaggerated behavior than the actual movie. Luckily WHM will be better. Haven't seen the movie and never will, as it IS awful, after all.

Corek fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 28, 2015

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Heh, if you guys don't normally listen to the Mailbag episodes, this week is a good one. The 2nd letter is a doozy. Also, the 3rd letter was sent from a goon.

Also, BlameSpacePod, in regards to the stairs thing in the 3rd letter -- In case you don't know, the phrase "You have stairs in your house" is a nod to the forums "secret handshake" of people asking other forums users outside of the forums "Do you have stairs in your house?" and the 2nd person replying "I am protected." It's silly, I know.

e: pre-emptive, trap sprung?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Hockles posted:

the forums "secret handshake" of people asking other forums users outside of the forums "Do you have stairs in your house?" and the 2nd person replying "I am protected." It's silly, I know.
Does anyone actually do this? Because it's always sounded like some pathetically goony poo poo, which I guess is appropriate.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
It was all the rage back in 2003.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Never once. I just know about it. Maybe the supergoons actually do it.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Oh my god that second letter. As a former lovestruck teenage girl, I was sympathy cringing the whole way through.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I was fine with Rey in Star Wars (I actually think that the movie gives a lot of information over without really beating you over the head) but I can certainly see why she gets the Mary Sue complaints since nothing she achieves really feels earned. I just think that maybe she's too good right away. Luke makes that one in a million shot, but that's his only big moment in the whole film, Rey has a few of them. I kind of feel the same way about Chris Pratt in JURASSIC WORLD who is shown to be always super competent and always right.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

I was fine with Rey in Star Wars (I actually think that the movie gives a lot of information over without really beating you over the head) but I can certainly see why she gets the Mary Sue complaints since nothing she achieves really feels earned. I just think that maybe she's too good right away. Luke makes that one in a million shot, but that's his only big moment in the whole film, Rey has a few of them. I kind of feel the same way about Chris Pratt in JURASSIC WORLD who is shown to be always super competent and always right.

Apparently the novelization has a bunch of details to explain a lot of the complaints of the films from the lack of detail.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I personally don't care if Rey is a "Mary Sue" or whatever because the movie was good so who gives a poo poo?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Other than a couple instances of being lucky, which is every character in the entire series, what did she do that was particularly Mary Suish? For Star Wars protagonists she seems well below the bar set by Luke and his daddy.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gyges posted:

Other than a couple instances of being lucky, which is every character in the entire series, what did she do that was particularly Mary Suish?
Being a female main character.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Empress Theonora posted:

I'm glad they poo poo all over morons calling Rey a Mary Sue.

Star Wars is good again; deal with it, idiots.

well I mean to be merely good again after the last 3 is a really ridiculously low bar to jump over, especially with the Disney War Machine effort to make it more than adequate

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
So which one of you asked the stairs question? Woof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
We were discussing Star Wars: Rebels 30 minutes ago!