Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Did anyone ever buy the S2? If so, thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IzzyNobre
Dec 8, 2005

Long live Mario

Reverse Centaur posted:

I was mighty tempted, the standard watchface (I think that's the standard one I saw? It's the one they had on the display model) looked downright gorgeous. Ended up getting a Pebble Time Steel instead. Seemed like a better overall value to me.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

It's so frustrating that the S2 is not Android Wear. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thermopyle posted:

It's so frustrating that the S2 is not Android Wear. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

I'm surprised no one on XDA has made a port for it. Is the bootloader unlocked?

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Friend of mine gave me his slightly broken Pebble the other day; he had to RMA it due to the screen corruption issue and they just told him to keep the old one. It was usable, just the screen would glitch out once in a while. Googling the problem, apparently the most common "fix" is literally opening it up and stuffing something in there to keep pressure on the screen connector. I did that and now I have a working Pebble :v:

Anyway, is it known to be kinda janky with iOS 9.1? The majority of the time it works fine, but once in a while anything that requires data to be transferred (e.g. weather, or the Misfit app) just stops working. Usually restarting both the phone and the watch fixes it, but it sometimes takes a few tries. It's odd when it happens too because notifications still come through, I just can't transfer any data.

Also speaking of the Misfit app, anyone else use it and had trouble with the sleep tracker syncing with the iOS app? My steps sync fine, but none of my sleep data is coming over from the watch.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I'm surprised no one on XDA has made a port for it. Is the bootloader unlocked?

They'd have to do a heck of a job to get the UI to work with the rotating bezel. If only Google hadn't locked down Android Wear so tightly.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Just ordered a Gear S2, should be here in 3-4 days time.

Right now I'm using a Gear Fit, but wanted something which doesn't look as geeky.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Would anyone with Microsoft band answer a question for me? How does it handle switching between exercises in a custom workout.

F.eks. I have a workout that is running, jumping, skipping. But after running I see the skipping rope is free and want to do that instead.

Would it let me do that or do you have to go through each exercise in turn?

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 4, 2015

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Haven't tried it, but I imagine it wouldn't take well to that. You might be able to pause it, but then I suspect it wouldn't record the HR data and other information.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Reverse Centaur posted:

Yeah, I've been using one for about 2 weeks now, and it's in my opinion brilliant.

If you have any questions, just ask and I'll try to do my best in answering them.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
I'm trying to figure out whether the guided workouts on the Band are any good, so far I just don't get them. Is there one that's specially for a dude in the park with no weights for say 40min? Intermediate/advanced. All the pre-recorded Golds Gym etc. ones are a bunch of marketing bullshit.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Mr Funkface posted:

I'm trying to figure out whether the guided workouts on the Band are any good, so far I just don't get them. Is there one that's specially for a dude in the park with no weights for say 40min? Intermediate/advanced. All the pre-recorded Golds Gym etc. ones are a bunch of marketing bullshit.

I put in my own custom ones. The ones already input don't seem that great, although they do have SS. :)

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008
Any Mi Band Pulse owners? I just got mine earlier this week, pretty impressed with it so far, especially compared to my previous Fitbit Flex.

The app appears to be a bit all over the place with regard to functionality, the current version on the play store doesn't have heart rate monitoring as an option but the version from the mi store does? Really can't complain too much for something that cost me £15

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Does any one know if there's a weather app for the Gear S2 that doesn't require location services to be enabled? I don't understand why every app has to constantly know my location and murder my battery; why can't I just set a static Zip/City and it pulls that information from the server every time?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Are there any smart scales that integrate with MFP that aren't like 100 bucks?

This probably isn't the right thread, but about as close as it can get. The fitbit scale has some pretty medicore reviews.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Just picked up the Garmin vivoactive watch. Think this may hit nearly all of my requirements. I currently have a 360v1 but really only use it to see notifications. I really want something to use when running, biking, and working out but I don't feel comfortable wearing it with the metal band. The screen on the Garmin may be the downside to it but it's sufficient and allows for multiday battery life.

Anyone use this yet? What are your thoughts? I had Best Buy price match Amazon at $170 and had $40 in gift cards from android pay so it's a fair price in my opinion. Just wish I could load music on to it and leave the phone at home but maybe I just need to get a small BT player and stop wishing for all the features in the world.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The Garmin 235 is much better for a running/biking + activity tracking esp with the optical HRM.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

shrike82 posted:

The Garmin 235 is much better for a running/biking + activity tracking esp with the optical HRM.

But does it mirror notifications from your phone? The combo is what appeals to me. I've heard dubious things about the optical HRM also.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

yup does notifications thru bluetooth with your phone. optical hrm is very much a ymmv tech but it seems to match up with my chest strap and definitely better than the fitbit charge hr ive had.

cool thing is that if you have an existing chest strap you can have the 235 read from it so you get the best of both worlds. 24/7 optical hrm for stuff like rhr and chest strap for specific activities if you want to be 100% accurate.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I bought the S2 today. Its pretty and cool, but doesnt fit my needs. I was told I'd be able to stream my spotify from it, since it gets 3g. But no. Any wearables out there that can stream spotify?

I just want to run without my heavy bulky note 4. A wearable that streams spotify, and can connect to my beats wireless, via Bluetooth. Anything like that out there?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

TLG James posted:

Are there any smart scales that integrate with MFP that aren't like 100 bucks?

This probably isn't the right thread, but about as close as it can get. The fitbit scale has some pretty medicore reviews.

For what it's worth, I've had the fitbit scale for a while and it's been fine, the whole family uses it. Just tried out the MFP sync and it seems like it works fine for stuff going forward, but not past data.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

So far, kind of disappointed with the Samsung Gear S2's:
- Battery Life: not very long. I know there's much more functionality than a watch, but when you consider the fact that a watch can go up to a year (at least) on a battery, having to charge this thing nightly (actually, during the first 24 hours I had it, after its first full initial charge, it dies on me within about 12 hours, though I'm willing to give it some slack since I was probably poking and prodding it a lot more than usual) is not exactly convenient. Also consider the contact charger it uses is kind of difficult/unwieldy to use in the car. That's right, no charging port means you'll have to carry this things wireless charger around too, if you plan on using it longer or more intensively than its little heart can stand.

-Functionality: at times, very frustrating! Sometimes text messages register, other times not. Sometimes the S Voice understands you, sometimes not (while it could be argued that this is an S voice issue, and not the watch itself, I have much more success when using S Voice on my Note 4, so I'm blaming the watch.) Further, check out the following interaction i had today: via S voice, "Schedule meeting at 11" *s-voice thinks hard for a minute* Schedule meeting at 11 flashes on the screen. Followed by a message that that function is not supported. Wtf, S2? You have access to my calendar. You have an alarm. Why can't you schedule a task or event?
Also, no streaming of spotify, (though I believe you can listen to samsung's milk music radio app).

Ultimately, my opinion is that it's a beautiful device, with a lot of potential, but currently, it is not worth the price; I have been strongly considering returning the device.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Just got my code for a free Samsung VR. I look forward to playing with it when I get it and then storing it on a shelf forever.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

My Charge HR battery went from lasting 6-7 days to lasting 1 or 2 since the last firmware update. It also isn't giving me warnings on my phone when the battery is low, and keeps dying without me knowing. Anyone else experiencing this? Is there a fix or any way to roll back to the old fw?

e: This seems to be a widespread problem: http://consumerist.com/2015/12/29/fitbit-charge-users-report-worse-battery-life-after-firmware-upgrade/
For now I have turned quickview off. Still considering jumping to the MS Band 2 now that it's below 200 on Amazon

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 30, 2015

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

The Bananana posted:

- Battery Life: not very long. I know there's much more functionality than a watch, but when you consider the fact that a watch can go up to a year (at least) on a battery, having to charge this thing nightly (actually, during the first 24 hours I had it, after its first full initial charge, it dies on me within about 12 hours, though I'm willing to give it some slack since I was probably poking and prodding it a lot more than usual) is not exactly convenient. Also consider the contact charger it uses is kind of difficult/unwieldy to use in the car. That's right, no charging port means you'll have to carry this things wireless charger around too, if you plan on using it longer or more intensively than its little heart can stand.

-Functionality: at times, very frustrating! Sometimes text messages register, other times not. Sometimes the S Voice understands you, sometimes not (while it could be argued that this is an S voice issue, and not the watch itself, I have much more success when using S Voice on my Note 4, so I'm blaming the watch.) Further, check out the following interaction i had today: via S voice, "Schedule meeting at 11" *s-voice thinks hard for a minute* Schedule meeting at 11 flashes on the screen. Followed by a message that that function is not supported. Wtf, S2? You have access to my calendar. You have an alarm. Why can't you schedule a task or event?
Also, no streaming of spotify, (though I believe you can listen to samsung's milk music radio app).

Ultimately, my opinion is that it's a beautiful device, with a lot of potential, but currently, it is not worth the price; I have been strongly considering returning the device.

I had some pretty good luck with the Gear Neo 2 and S Voice. It had to be steady noise though; if there was music playing it wouldn't get some of what I said. And if there was say a bump in the road, whatever I said as I hit that bump was nearly always butchered.

I'm glad a guy was annoyed with being tied down to Tizen, and actually ported Android Wear onto the Gear Neo 2.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf

The Bananana posted:

Try disabling Wi-Fi, it really kills the battery for some reason even if you're not using that feature. I'm getting about 2 full days of charge with normal usage (checking the time, HR checkin every hour, notifications etc.) and powering it off overnight.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

plainswalker75 posted:

Try disabling Wi-Fi, it really kills the battery for some reason even if you're not using that feature. I'm getting about 2 full days of charge with normal usage (checking the time, HR checkin every hour, notifications etc.) and powering it off overnight.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try, and see what happens.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Syrinxx posted:

My Charge HR battery went from lasting 6-7 days to lasting 1 or 2 since the last firmware update. It also isn't giving me warnings on my phone when the battery is low, and keeps dying without me knowing. Anyone else experiencing this? Is there a fix or any way to roll back to the old fw?

e: This seems to be a widespread problem: http://consumerist.com/2015/12/29/fitbit-charge-users-report-worse-battery-life-after-firmware-upgrade/
For now I have turned quickview off. Still considering jumping to the MS Band 2 now that it's below 200 on Amazon

I jumped from charge hr to a band 2 and have been really happy, let me know if you've got any questions

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Maneki Neko posted:

I jumped from charge hr to a band 2 and have been really happy, let me know if you've got any questions
I don't have anything specific but if you want to give your impressions I'd like to hear them. I use the Charge HR for steps, heart rate and sleep. I don't really track meals or workouts other than pushing the button to start/stop logging of a generic exercise period. I love geeking out on graphs, data, trends, etc.

e: I'd be connecting it to an Android 6.x phone. Not sure if that changes things or if it enables the use of Cortana.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 31, 2015

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Picked up a Gear S2 this weekend, really not in love with it to be honest. It's a shame because it LOOKS so goddamn good, but I think I'm going to take advantage of Best Buy's 15 day return policy and bring it back. I upgraded from a Gear Live and really miss the fact that everything just worked without having to do anything special or download any different apps. Needing to go through Samsung's software is super annoying, and I have had nothing but trouble getting the S-Voice to work for me. I really want a circular watch, pretty sure I'm going to trade up and get a Moto 360. If BB had a goddamn display model that worked I may not have even picked it up to begin with tbh.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

explosivo posted:

Picked up a Gear S2 this weekend, really not in love with it to be honest. It's a shame because it LOOKS so goddamn good, but I think I'm going to take advantage of Best Buy's 15 day return policy and bring it back. I upgraded from a Gear Live and really miss the fact that everything just worked without having to do anything special or download any different apps. Needing to go through Samsung's software is super annoying, and I have had nothing but trouble getting the S-Voice to work for me. I really want a circular watch, pretty sure I'm going to trade up and get a Moto 360. If BB had a goddamn display model that worked I may not have even picked it up to begin with tbh.

This guy gets it

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Deathscorts are the true American heroes.
I can't seem to find reliable information via google, so I'll ask here -- does the Gear S2 have a sleep tracking app? Something a little more robust than the s-health phone app? Debating picking one up and that might sway my decision one way or another.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf

ExplodingChef posted:

I can't seem to find reliable information via google, so I'll ask here -- does the Gear S2 have a sleep tracking app? Something a little more robust than the s-health phone app? Debating picking one up and that might sway my decision one way or another.

There's no dedicated sleep-tracking app I can find; I did find an app called HR tracker that tracks heart-rate while sleeping though.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

At MWC Haier showed the The Haier Watch, which appears to be a copy of the Huawei Watch only with twice the RAM and twice the flash storage space, and it runs Android, but it's not Android Wear. They say it wont be much more than $200.

http://phandroid.com/2016/02/23/haier-watch-kids-watch-mwc/

Good luck with that, Haier.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I've been digging around but can't really seem to find much but are there any good long term reviews or discussions on the evolution of the Microsoft band 2?

I'm on the fence and need convincing. Help me throw money around like an idiot.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

MC Hawking posted:

I've been digging around but can't really seem to find much but are there any good long term reviews or discussions on the evolution of the Microsoft band 2?

I'm on the fence and need convincing. Help me throw money around like an idiot.
I would be happy to answer any questions about the Band 2; I replaced my Charge HR with it a few months back.

I like pretty much everything about it other than the rubberized band that can't [easily?] be replaced.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
I also went from v1 to v2 Band, and I prefer everything about v2 but the color of the clasp.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Are you guys with the band 2 using it with android or windows phones?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Okay so I understand the basic specs of the device but I'm really wondering about two specific things: Cycling tracking and Can Music Playback off the device. are there curated cycling workouts on it? Can I sideload tunes to the device and playback music off it via bluetooth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

lostleaf posted:

Are you guys with the band 2 using it with android or windows phones?

iPhone. The iOS app has everything the Winphone app has, except Cortana.

MC Hawking posted:

Okay so I understand the basic specs of the device but I'm really wondering about two specific things: Cycling tracking and Can Music Playback off the device. are there curated cycling workouts on it? Can I sideload tunes to the device and playback music off it via bluetooth?

Cycling: yes.
Tunes: negative.

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 4, 2016