Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
He lost to King so bad that King had to actually apologise :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Basically, Saitama is a clinically depressed sad-sack who is average to mediocre at anything other than fighting.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Logikv9 posted:

I'm more surprised that she was able to lift Saitama at all :stare:

Tatsumaki can't lift Saitama directly, because her psychic powers don't work on someone with so much willpower.

She can, however, blow him back away using wind, or grab him and then fly.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Skippy McPants posted:

Basically, Saitama is a clinically depressed sad-sack who is average to mediocre at anything other than fighting.

Nah, he's legitimately a pretty good hero. As in not the guy that kills the monster, but the guy that does the morally correct thing to improve the situation. They flesh that out more in the manga, but it's present even in the ONE version. It's basically the entire point of the last arc. Everyone else just sees a dangerous monster that packed their poo poo, but Saitama knows it's just a confused guy trying to do his best in the only way he knows how.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Tatsumaki can't lift Saitama directly, because her psychic powers don't work on someone with so much willpower.

She can, however, blow him back away using wind, or grab him and then fly.

She (barely) lifts him like 5 feet in the newest chapter, although it injures her.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Boogaleeboo posted:

Nah, he's legitimately a pretty good hero. As in not the guy that kills the monster, but the guy that does the morally correct thing to improve the situation. They flesh that out more in the manga, but it's present even in the ONE version. It's basically the entire point of the last arc. Everyone else just sees a dangerous monster that packed their poo poo, but Saitama knows it's just a confused guy trying to do his best in the only way he knows how.

Fair point, he's a depressed sad-sack who's only good a heroing. He does pretty much always do the ethical thing, and seems to genuinely care about helping people, it just rarely brings him any joy.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i know S Class is a breeding ground for some lovely people, but the recent Tatsumaki stuff was unexpected and i dunno if giving her a redemption arc is what i want, or if i'd rather just deal with her being terrible.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Logikv9 posted:

She (barely) lifts him like 5 feet in the newest chapter, although it injures her.

She is still heavily injured, and Saitama calls her on it.

Healthy Tatsumaki would persumably be doing better.

But is she stronger than boros?

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
The way I would rate the current strength of characters seen would be Saitama > Boros = Garou > Tatsumaki > rest of the S ranks. If Saitama really didn't wanted to be bothered by psychic powers, it wouldn't bother him. Like he said to Gargl-octopus alien guy, all these psychics are doing are throwing rocks (of various sizes and numbers) around, which anyone can do.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

jwang posted:

The way I would rate the current strength of characters seen would be Saitama > Boros = Garou > Tatsumaki > rest of the S ranks. If Saitama really didn't wanted to be bothered by psychic powers, it wouldn't bother him. Like he said to Gargl-octopus alien guy, all these psychics are doing are throwing rocks (of various sizes and numbers) around, which anyone can do.

I'd add Bang between Tatsumaki and the other S ranks purely from what we've been shown. Dude ripped apart 2 dragon classes like paper and would have killed Homeless if not for Psykos.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I wonder if Saitama could look at someone so hard they die.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

RareAcumen posted:

Maybe if he blinks really hard.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Avulsion posted:

Maybe if he blinks really hard.

Serious Glare

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The fluttering of his eyebrows causes a global windstorm that kills millions.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

he's not king

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RareAcumen posted:

Serious Glare

Death wink!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kild posted:

he's not king

King just makes them surrender tho

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

dogsicle posted:

i know S Class is a breeding ground for some lovely people, but the recent Tatsumaki stuff was unexpected and i dunno if giving her a redemption arc is what i want, or if i'd rather just deal with her being terrible.

I dunno, S-Class seems better than any of the other classes to me. Metal Knight is the only one that's really bad. Tatsumaki and Pri-Pri-Prisoner have some personality issues, but they're still good heroes at the end of the day and S-Class as a whole appears to have less issues than any of the other classes as far as lovely people goes. The fact that they don't have to be concerned with public image, quotas and so on probably helps since those things promote the idea of pursuing it for more ignoble reasons.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

tsob posted:

I dunno, S-Class seems better than any of the other classes to me. Metal Knight is the only one that's really bad. Tatsumaki and Pri-Pri-Prisoner have some personality issues, but they're still good heroes at the end of the day and S-Class as a whole appears to have less issues than any of the other classes as far as lovely people goes. The fact that they don't have to be concerned with public image, quotas and so on probably helps since those things promote the idea of pursuing it for more ignoble reasons.

i think it's just that there are a few bad S Classes in a small pool, and their issues (e.g. only fighting when it suits them) cause much more of an effect on others than some small-time rear end in a top hat like Tanktop Tiger. there are still plenty that haven't been really characterized yet, which will tip things one way or the other. anyway, i suppose i phrased my first post badly. my reaction was more surprise that Tatsumaki was such a cruel sister, and how her being a terrible person felt so much worse than characters like Darkshine/Bofoi/Sweet Mask being twisted heroes. admittedly, i shouldn't hold the Murata version of Prisoner against ONE's version, so he seems like an okay guy here.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Logikv9 posted:

The fluttering of his eyebrows causes a global windstorm that kills millions.

he's too strong for eyebrows

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

dogsicle posted:

my reaction was more surprise that Tatsumaki was such a cruel sister, and how her being a terrible person felt so much worse than characters like Darkshine/Bofoi/Sweet Mask being twisted heroes.

I think the important thing there is that Tatsumaki seems to genuinely believe she's being a good sister and doing the right thing by Fubuki, she's just operating from a very bad place and thus her actions come off as horrific. Once Saitama is done befriending her despite himself and she joins his circle of friends things will presumably become better for her. Which is good, because Tatsumaki accepting Fubuki will presumably be what allows Fubuki to accept that despite the Blizzard group having started for lovely reasons and not being all that strong relatively speaking, they're still a pretty cool thing and good for her as a person and each other as heroes. They don't have to be super strong to like hanging with each other and heroing together.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don't remember Darkshine being all that twisted.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

he only fought to feel strong :shrug:
not like every hero has or needs a noble motivation, but his in particular seemed right on the edge as far as who is/isn't a particularly good hero. i don't see him staying that way going forward though.

tsob posted:

I think the important thing there is that Tatsumaki seems to genuinely believe she's being a good sister and doing the right thing by Fubuki, she's just operating from a very bad place and thus her actions come off as horrific. Once Saitama is done befriending her despite himself and she joins his circle of friends things will presumably become better for her.

i don't think Tatsumaki really deserves a pass just because her heart was in the right place the times she traumatized her sister, but yeah i look forward to Saitama's crew taking her in and opening her eyes.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

He's not. As we saw in the Boros arc, he answered the call for help, he tried to play mediator between the heroes, and he was aghast when Sweet Mask executed the captured aliens without warning. He also hasn't, to my recollection, been particularly mean or haughty to anyone like Atomic Samurai or Tatsumaki, he's never attacked someone just to prove himself like Shining Flash or Fubuki, but his weakness is his ego. He was a hero just to feel good about himself by putting himself in fights he could always win (meaning he'd never have a Sea King/Licenseless Rider moment, or care enough to follow-up like Evil Water/Pig God). Still, after Garou beats him, he realizes this and is aware of his faults, and was even ready to quit. He's definitely not a bad person, he was just a bad hero since he was doing it for the wrong reason, and now he's got the chance to better himself.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

She is still heavily injured, and Saitama calls her on it.

Healthy Tatsumaki would persumably be doing better.

But is she stronger than boros?

I dont think that even at full capacity she could lift Saitama much higher. Remember, everyone with "heavy" will is going to naturally have an advantage against a lot of the things she could do. I'm assuming Boros will be at the very least as strong as those in the Garou arc, probably stronger than them. And boros was still orders of magnitude stronger than the guys from the Garou arc.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

dogsicle posted:

i don't think Tatsumaki really deserves a pass just because her heart was in the right place the times she traumatized her sister, but yeah i look forward to Saitama's crew taking her in and opening her eyes.

She was pretty traumatized herself since she was used as a science experiment for being a natural esper. And Fubuki tried to bully Saitama as well. Sometimes it takes a random hobbyist to show you that you take your profession too seriously and there's more to life. Tatsumaki is just protecting her sister from people so she doesn't have to be vulnerable or w/e. There's no real villains in this manga, just a bunch of people taking this poo poo too seriously.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
There are tons of villains in this manga.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Serious Frolicking posted:

Kanirante did nothing wrong

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Voted Worst Mom posted:

She was pretty traumatized herself since she was used as a science experiment for being a natural esper. And Fubuki tried to bully Saitama as well. Sometimes it takes a random hobbyist to show you that you take your profession too seriously and there's more to life. Tatsumaki is just protecting her sister from people so she doesn't have to be vulnerable or w/e. There's no real villains in this manga, just a bunch of people taking this poo poo too seriously.

Hey Saitama showed Fubuki she wasn't taking her profession seriously enough. :colbert:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

There are no villains. There are just people trying to do the right thing and people Saitama has or will smash into a billion pieces.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

There are no villains. There are just people trying to do the right thing and super powered jerks Saitama will convert to harem members. Monsters aren't people so they get smashed to bits.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Like who? All the major villains so far were tryhards are just terribly misguided. Boros was chasing some dumb prophecy and Saitama was like "yeah but you can't just blow up cities because of a prophecy friend." Seaking was drinking the underwater koolaid and thought he owned the earth. Garou watched cartoons backwards growing up. That scientist dude was obsessed with power and gave his brother the Attack of Titan drug. Honestly, the villains are just as obsessed with some stupid thing as the heroes are and neither side is particularly evil or good. The most "good" character we've met so far is Mumen Rider. The most "evil" character we've met so far is probably... Carnage Kabuto or something? He just kept killing people for fun I guess.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Actually, the most evil character is Evil Natural Water since evil is in its name.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Voted Worst Mom posted:

Like who? All the major villains so far were tryhards are just terribly misguided. Boros was chasing some dumb prophecy and Saitama was like "yeah but you can't just blow up cities because of a prophecy friend." Seaking was drinking the underwater koolaid and thought he owned the earth. Garou watched cartoons backwards growing up. That scientist dude was obsessed with power and gave his brother the Attack of Titan drug. Honestly, the villains are just as obsessed with some stupid thing as the heroes are and neither side is particularly evil or good. The most "good" character we've met so far is Mumen Rider. The most "evil" character we've met so far is probably... Carnage Kabuto or something? He just kept killing people for fun I guess.

Crablante. Just because someone draws nipples on you, doesn't mean you can murder a child.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Boros had been destroying civilizations for ages before he got sent to his death via prophecy. On-panel, the dude casually bombarded a city and killed most of its inhabitants. You can't really dismiss that with "oh, he just wanted a challenge". If he wanted an opponent so badly he could have come down himself to find one.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Voted Worst Mom posted:

Actually, the most evil character is Evil Natural Water since evil is in its name.

I kept misreading Evil Natural Water as Neutral Evil Water, like it was some kind of D&D reject.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 27, 2015

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Skippy McPants posted:

I kept misreading Evil Natural Water as Neutral Evil Water, like it was some kind of D&D reject.

Not gonna lie, Neutral Evil Water sounds wicked as gently caress.

I'd totally would dig a tongue-n-cheek D&D campaign with that as a mini-boss. Along with Disturbing Rockwall and Ornery Campfire.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Boros had been destroying civilizations for ages before he got sent to his death via prophecy. On-panel, the dude casually bombarded a city and killed most of its inhabitants. You can't really dismiss that with "oh, he just wanted a challenge". If he wanted an opponent so badly he could have come down himself to find one.

That's fair; I thought his entire motivation for anything was the prophecy.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Voted Worst Mom posted:

Most of the people you listed took pleasure in destroying cities and murdering people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't really get why it is so strange that there would be villains in a superhero story. Lots of the heroes are dicks, but almost all of the villains really, really enjoy killing people. Ask Sonic what his favorite flavor of ice cream is and he would reply "murder".