Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Hav posted:

That's a fairly bold statement. How are they structuring their servers, and how much are the two LOD servers costing you per month?

Just as a comparison.

Last time I checked, they didn't have patch servers; and they were not using third-party CDN like Akamai, Edgecast etc. Outside of that, pushing 30GB (!) worth of data with each patch, leads to massive bandwidth costs. Ask any IT person to explain it.

LOD doesn't have two servers. It has two server clusters. Each cluster being made up of six servers. Each cluster serves as one cohesive "game server"

We don't have bandwidth costs for patches because our entire game is served via Steam, which, via SteamWorks (dev API), is actually a full blown patching system which you feed patch scripts and it intelligently does the rest for clients downloading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DoctorStrangelove posted:

How is Lt. Commander higher than Grand Admiral?

chris roberts is an idiot, thats how

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
This [url=]level of idiocy is unmatched[/url]https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/3y7xq8/mr_smalls_brags_about_attempted_rsi_hostile_take/cybjkmc

quote:

Skippy is also it seems trying to bypass his ban by creating alt accounts 15 times and apparently failing lol:
https://twitter.com/DisturbedJim83/status/680570008607547392
If I recall isn't that strictly prohibited under all the TOS's including the ones he holds "holier than thou" ?
of course he could be trolling I mean who knows he can't keep his own BS straight XD

Someone needs to send him a smoke signal letting him know that my block count is for the Twitter harassers who I am blocking on sight. As I said before, they're not even trying anymore.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/3y7xq8/mr_smalls_brags_about_attempted_rsi_hostile_take/cybvhc2?context=3

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/3y7xq8/mr_smalls_brags_about_attempted_rsi_hostile_take/cybthz6

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

this is quickly slipping into Poe territory

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
its funny how inconceivable it is to some that Bootcha was actually posting here and was a known investor long before Derek Smart even got involved in this. How deep does the conspiracy go? :tinfoil:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I can't remember who it was who did the first Sandi succubus pic, but black eyes really do suit her:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

A Neurotic Jew posted:

its funny how inconceivable it is to some that Bootcha was actually posting here and was a known investor long before Derek Smart even got involved in this. How deep does the conspiracy go? :tinfoil:

I think they're currently working on a whole new conspiracy theory now. There should be a new thread popping up as soon as they come up with one.

Note that the current conspiracy theory thread involves my "attempted RSI hostile take-over" or better yet these hilarious you-couldn't-make-this-poo poo-up-unless-you-were-high gems

quote:

Yep - like he said later they would have been able to block him getting access - In fact I am willing to bet he tried to buy in as an investor back when CIG were setting up in 2012.
They probably politely declined him and Sandi probably offended him somehow in her response to him.
After all he did try and get on board the project as an adviser early on and they never responded to his tweet. Also remember he tried regularly to get in contact with CR directly by email - FB - Tweet - Linkedin and any other form until he broke down mid this year and basically went off his tree.

===
What derek wanted was for Chris to hire him as an advisor, the 250 dollar pledge was basically a 250 dollar resume, they ignored him as such and he went apeshit. His plan was he wanted a repeat of quest online with the game alganon with an added side of revenge because to him
Chris stole his thunder when wing commander was released causing the space genre in gaming to explode in a good way causing the whole 20 year vendetta, hence why people respect CR but laugh at DS

So yeah, they're probably definitely working on it. Two weeks.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

D_Smart posted:

Last time I checked, they didn't have patch servers; and they were not using third-party CDN like Akamai, Edgecast etc. Outside of that, pushing 30GB (!) worth of data with each patch, leads to massive bandwidth costs. Ask any IT person to explain it.

LOD doesn't have two servers. It has two server clusters. Each cluster being made up of six servers. Each cluster serves as one cohesive "game server"

We don't have bandwidth costs for patches because our entire game is served via Steam, which, via SteamWorks (dev API), is actually a full blown patching system which you feed patch scripts and it intelligently does the rest for clients downloading it.

Here's another question I have been wondering about, with the explosion of low cost indie titles on Steam recently...

What does the pricing structure on Steam look like? How do they charge for updates and such?

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

Still. going.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

D_Smart posted:

So, roughly 80,000 people stupidly playing this game = 2,400,000 GB of data per patch. Multiply that by however many patches there have been to date = ???

How much money are we talking about here?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3yapkd/people_with_larger_pledges_your_opinion_on_not/cybvdu1

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
For patching, why don't they just use torrents and pack it into an .exe file if bandwith is that bad?

pftc posted:

I made it 15 minutes so far.

I need a break before I continue.

I'm exhausted just watching this.

It only gets worse. We weren't joking when the best parts of that movie are CRoberts giving the thumbs up and the space bulldozer. Also you can tell CRoberts has autism based on what ability the pilgrims had.

fuctifino posted:

I can't remember who it was who did the first Sandi succubus pic, but black eyes really do suit her:

Where we are going, you won't need eyes to see...

(Event Horizon is the best WH40k movie)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKYQ5ibxslI

5TB costs me $1 these days. 300GB per patch cycle isn't a big deal.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

D_Smart posted:

I think they're currently working on a whole new conspiracy theory now. There should be a new thread popping up as soon as they come up with one.

Note that the current conspiracy theory thread involves my "attempted RSI hostile take-over" or better yet these hilarious you-couldn't-make-this-poo poo-up-unless-you-were-high gems

So yeah, they're probably definitely working on it. Two weeks.

It's not a lie if you believe it. - George Costanza

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Samizdata posted:

Here's another question I have been wondering about, with the explosion of low cost indie titles on Steam recently...

What does the pricing structure on Steam look like? How do they charge for updates and such?

Steam has no rules. You set your price, then push a button alerting them to review it. If they approve it, then it goes live. If they don't, then you have to adjust it. In my experience, they don't reject any pricing at all.

And the only way you get a game on Steam, is if they feel that they can make money from it. Just like any publisher. So their cut pretty much factors into their bandwidth costs. It's like how we all regard gaming whales. Some products make more money than others; and their fees which Steam collects, makes up for those games that don't make much money for the service.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fuctifino posted:

So, roughly 80,000 people stupidly playing this game = 2,400,000 GB of data per patch. Multiply that by however many patches there have been to date = ???

How much money are we talking about here?

[quote] The AWS services have tiered costs for data transfer out ($0.17 per GB for the first 10 TB/month data downloaded, $0.13 per GB for the next 40 TB/month, $0.11 per GB for the next 100 TB/month, and $0.10 per GB for any additional bandwidth beyond 150 TB).[quote]

this is assuming they are using aws. they can probably get something cheaper, but lol. other infra goons can tell me how wrong I am.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

There's a huge difference in scale between a running something on AWS (before you turn your nose up, we have a 40Gb peering link with Amazon and it's been incredibly useful in controlling costs - except for one time when we ended up paying a quarter of a million *over* because of misconfigured routing), running a colo box, running a colocation site, then finally a datacenter. We do all of those.

Most people up to the co-location site are paying a 'stock' price for bandwidth; you get an allocation for a set price and get surprise anal for overages, or you have a flat rate. Those pricing strategies then offset the other allocation method, which is _flow_.

Flow is charged at bandwidth/sec, depending on the tier one contract and who you peer to. More peering - connecting to other sites - usually gives a higher discount up to a limit, but it also makes you slightly more vulnerable to other people. We lost a shitton of capacity for a couple of hours once because the other end of a peer connection hosed up. Damages and costs become very abstract at that point.

What I'm mansplaining to you is that there are multiple pricing structures and agreements at certain levels, and if they were seriously expecting upwards of a half million players, they'd have something at the datacenter level set up with a couple of peers, so bandwidth becomes a drop in the ocean compared with the rest of the datacenter costs.

My next step involves getting very drunk and firing up wireshark and nmap to estimate the size of the elephant. Because I don't believe what anyone just _says_.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3y99eq/star_citizen_furs/

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

fuctifino posted:

drat where do I pledge?

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

:dong:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

OWLS! posted:

quote:

The AWS services have tiered costs for data transfer out ($0.17 per GB for the first 10 TB/month data downloaded, $0.13 per GB for the next 40 TB/month, $0.11 per GB for the next 100 TB/month, and $0.10 per GB for any additional bandwidth beyond 150 TB).

this is assuming they are using aws. they can probably get something cheaper, but lol. other infra goons can tell me how wrong I am.

So if they are using aws, it could be around $250k per patch? Maybe this is why Chris announced monthly updates before he went rolling around in the snow.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

OWLS! posted:

[quote] The AWS services have tiered costs for data transfer out ($0.17 per GB for the first 10 TB/month data downloaded, $0.13 per GB for the next 40 TB/month, $0.11 per GB for the next 100 TB/month, and $0.10 per GB for any additional bandwidth beyond 150 TB).[quote]

It's a much more sensible use of backer funds to spend time in the Whale Lounge than developing a proper update client so they don't blow a quarter of a million USD with each patch.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

MeLKoR posted:

this is quickly slipping into Poe territory

There's a reason why Bootcha won't show his long form birth certificate.

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

Dapper Dan posted:

It only gets worse.

What was he thinking when writing this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3y8rrn/are_star_citizen_and_squadron_42_going_to_be_two/cybtoo5

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Star Citizen: I'm not a large backer ($2600)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
FYI: The patcher isn't actually downloading 30 gigs every time. It's just a really loving bad patcher and goes through all the gigantic zip files on your disk each time and downloads the changed files in them, which is what makes it run so goddamn slow.

It still downloads upwards of a gig, and often up to 10gb because apparently this game is in active development with like 250 employees working on it or something and a lot of files have changes between builds. :shrug:

Meanwhile, a patch is downloaded by what, 50 people? 100? It isn't more than that, and I'm pretty sure CIG can handle a couple TB per year.

Also, there are caching services (i.e. cloudflare) that will straight up not charge you for bandwidth, just depending on service level. I'm sure CIG doesn't use these, because they're dumb as gently caress, but hahaha holy poo poo if you think they're paying more than a dollar per TB. Nononono, that'd noticeably eat into CR's coke fund.

As a comparison point, I can download just under 50TB per month on my lovely home internet connection, and it costs me 65 euros, and lovely home internet is hilariously expensive compared to what I have access to at work.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Hav posted:

There's a reason why Bootcha won't show his long form birth certificate.

I'm shamelessly stealing this.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

pftc posted:

What was he thinking when writing this?

Only God and Chris Roberts knows. But now imagine this 10 hours with ubskippable cut scenes and videogame dialogue

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3y7oqq/why_delays_and_setbacks_dont_bother_me/

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Atrocities. :what:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Truga posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKYQ5ibxslI

5TB costs me $1 these days. 300GB per patch cycle isn't a big deal.

Are you somehow confusing data bandwidth with storage? Please show me the ISP that is selling 5TB of bandwidth for $1.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Hav posted:

There's a huge difference in scale between a running something on AWS (before you turn your nose up, we have a 40Gb peering link with Amazon and it's been incredibly useful in controlling costs - except for one time when we ended up paying a quarter of a million *over* because of misconfigured routing), running a colo box, running a colocation site, then finally a datacenter. We do all of those.

Most people up to the co-location site are paying a 'stock' price for bandwidth; you get an allocation for a set price and get surprise anal for overages, or you have a flat rate. Those pricing strategies then offset the other allocation method, which is _flow_.

Flow is charged at bandwidth/sec, depending on the tier one contract and who you peer to. More peering - connecting to other sites - usually gives a higher discount up to a limit, but it also makes you slightly more vulnerable to other people. We lost a shitton of capacity for a couple of hours once because the other end of a peer connection hosed up. Damages and costs become very abstract at that point.

What I'm mansplaining to you is that there are multiple pricing structures and agreements at certain levels, and if they were seriously expecting upwards of a half million players, they'd have something at the datacenter level set up with a couple of peers, so bandwidth becomes a drop in the ocean compared with the rest of the datacenter costs.

My next step involves getting very drunk and firing up wireshark and nmap to estimate the size of the elephant. Because I don't believe what anyone just _says_.

Not of that has any relevance to my original post. Which I shall quote again.

quote:

The monthly server costs are phenomenal and there is no way that they can sustain this.

Followed by:

quote:

So, we don't know what (ded servers, Akamai, Edgecast, Highwinds, AWS, Google etc) they're using for pushing all the data. But regardless of what they are using, pushing 30GB of data for all clients - with each patch - is still a large cost than pushing small proper binary "patches" which are smaller.

fuctifino posted:

So if they are using aws, it could be around $250k per patch? Maybe this is why Chris announced monthly updates before he went rolling around in the snow.

Which was my point. Regardless of what they're doing, it's costing them BIG to keep pushing that much data with EACH patch. Which also explains why they are now switching to monthly patches.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 26, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lol

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Truga posted:

FYI: The patcher isn't actually downloading 30 gigs every time. It's just a really loving bad patcher and goes through all the gigantic zip files on your disk each time and downloads the changed files in them, which is what makes it run so goddamn slow.

Actually it is. I've actually tested and seen it do it. In some cases, they files being downloaded are just new versions. So it doesn't them locally, then uses your PC to reconstruct it. That's why it takes so long even after the download it complete. And when the download is borked, that's why it has to start from scratch - even though it already downloaded ALL the files needed.

And when us devs think "patch", we also think in terms of delivery. In which case, smaller is always - better, faster, cheaper. That's why "patching" exists.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

She's recoiling over the internet at these guys.

"Oh for god sake stop emailing me, there's only so much hand sanitizer that you can buy with a million dollars!".

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Umm, when did you last test it, because I tested it on 2.0 PTU and it only downloaded the full 30 gigs once.

e: And it also wasn't doing the separate downloading/patching phases anymore either. It was just one pass.

Truga fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 26, 2015

Crash74
May 11, 2009

MeLKoR posted:

It's true. All of it!

Harrison Ford's chin looks like it's going to fall off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Crash74 posted:

Harrison Ford's chin looks like it's going to fall off.

good.

• Locked thread