Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
KI does suck, I'm glad we can all agree on this

Shindragon posted:

Been reading way too many YT quotes, but I"m just busting balls. :v: Kinda figured when he used the word shill.

To further go on about that video, I thought it was more along the fanbase wouldn't shut up about them not playing BlazBlue.

It is and that's why it's "A Good Video"™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I think the timing making this a Christmas "gift" was a bit off sadly.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah the reaction wouldn't have been so negative if A. they hadn't built this up for so long and B. if it wasn't Christmas

king of no pants
Mar 10, 2007

i'm watchin'
you post
It was the absolute best thing to do.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
gently caress all fighting games + the fighting games community

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Blazblue fans are their own special kind of dumb because it is the only FG with an extensive story that spans multiple games and is constantly supported. So you can imagine the sort of self-aggrandization that comes with that. That being said idk why they expected anything more than this since SBF have made it clear they don't like Blazblue.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

hubris.height posted:

the fighting games community

First one, screw you, second oh god yeah. FGC is baaaaaad.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I don't play fighting games but I watch tournaments some times and idk most of those guys seem alright

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Matt's backing down and apologizing on twitter

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The FGC does not like every fighting game. For the longest time, the Street Fighter/Marvel crowd actively harassed the smash crowd, and 3D players hung out with KoF players more than anyone else. Anime fighters rarely interact with anyone outside of their own niche.

It's like calling out the Twitch Community and thinking Hearthstone and CS: GO are the same fanbase.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
They should lean into it, not back down

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Depths posted:

They should lean into it, not back down

increasingly pissing off your fan base isn't a great idea when your job is making those people watch your videos

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Piss off the blazblue people all they want, the problem was the rest of us only got enjoyment out of it via comments and not the video itself which is the main problem.

They should've watched Eiken.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.

Blockhouse posted:

Matt's backing down and apologizing on twitter

Again, would have loved to do the video better, cut to 3S footage or Xrd. When I think about it, we could have done it in a bevy of different ways, and it would have actually been funny after the first 5 mins, and actually had fight game footage. Also, wish the mics had been set up correctly. But this is all after the fact. You only know you've made mistakes after you've made them.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Blockhouse posted:

increasingly pissing off your fan base isn't a great idea when your job is making those people watch your videos

I enjoyed the video but I'm not a fan of fighting games I the first place so

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I think that's a fair decision. Honestly, seeing the game slowly morph into Guilty Gear and pretending nothing was changing would have been hilarious.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Depths posted:

I enjoyed the video but I'm not a fan of fighting games I the first place so

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Tae posted:

It's like calling out the Twitch Community and thinking Hearthstone and CS: GO are the same fanbase.

i really don't want to drag this arguement of semantics out, but its really like calling out the moba community to target fans of SMITE, more than it is like your example. you see, hearthstone and cs:go aren't really in the same genre, so your metaphor falls apart.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TheRealestMatt posted:

Again, would have loved to do the video better, cut to 3S footage or Xrd. When I think about it, we could have done it in a bevy of different ways, and it would have actually been funny after the first 5 mins, and actually had fight game footage. Also, wish the mics had been set up correctly. But this is all after the fact. You only know you've made mistakes after you've made them.

yeah totally

why do we fall master bruce etc etc

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

While I don't really play either, at least Guilty Gear I can look at and be like "Yeah! Sol is cool, that thing is cool, that poo poo looks cool."

BlazBlue though, I've never been able to do much but go "Ehhhhh" really.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I thought it was funny, but I agree the idea to have like one round of BB lead to a 'crash' and then 'oh well third strike time' would have been funnier.

Oh well, I like trying to change up a bit in scrublord/fisticuffs and all, better to try and not nail it than completely ignore possibly fun ideas and all that jazz.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

TheRealestMatt posted:

u should have played blazblue with secretly imposed limitations, like banning specials or heavy attacks. thats the way I would have trolled blazblue fans

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TheRealestMatt posted:

I think it would've been good to do two videos, a gag one and then a real one uploaded the next day, so you get the outcry followed by immediately shutting them up. I think a lot of folks were particularly annoyed it was on Christmas, but I think Christmas pranks are all well and good, with the caveat that you make up for it with an actual thing later. Like a long time ago my friend's mom thought she'd really "get" her son by putting a gigantic lump of coal in his stocking covered by a smattering of candies, except that was it, there was no "here's your actual stocking!" so he was salty as gently caress.

In essence, you made a good gag but a flawed one, it had hilarious/unexpected consequences, and now your next prank can be that much better since you've learned from this one

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

TheRealestMatt posted:

speaking of, are you planningo n doing another xrd video when revelator comes out?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

just do a fisticuffs where the title of the video is Naruto whatever-the-name-is but the video is some other random scrublords-tier game and never acknowledge the video title at all, not even on twitter or podcast etc

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Indecisive posted:

just do a fisticuffs where the title of the video is Naruto whatever-the-name-is but the video is some other random scrublords-tier game and never acknowledge the video title at all, not even on twitter or podcast etc

Are there any hunter x hunter games because it would double as a smug anime snob joke

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
a group containing woolie and liam does not get to be smug anime snobs

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
And why would you anime snob about Hunter x Hunter, in any direction?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The super niche battle shonen series by a well-known author.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Yeah, all this needed was some spliced-in footage from other games, and maybe spliced-in footage for the intro from Scrublords or something.

Actually, I'd like to see what a Friday Spite Fisticuffs intro would look like.

Fenrax
Oct 9, 2012

I know absolutely nothing about GG or BB and went into the fisticuffs video after everything knowing that there would be no gameplay, got 5 minutes in and stopped watching because Matt sounds like he's recording from down the hall and there are no pop filters on the new mics apparently. The actual content was fine to me though and seeing the really salty comments from both sides of the argument everywhere is entertaining.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dias posted:

And why would you anime snob about Hunter x Hunter, in any direction?

So you can feel superior over narutards foiling the good name of children manga readers
"Naruto is just a HunterxHunter ripoff" has been a mainstay of bad anime topics

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
They should have just played MUGEN with a bunch of broken/buggy BLABLU characters.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

fatherboxx posted:

So you can feel superior over narutards foiling the good name of children manga readers
"Naruto is just a HunterxHunter ripoff" has been a mainstay of bad anime topics

Huh, I'm not much of an anime guy, I thought HxH was on an Berserk level of popularity/chapters never come out thing. I can see people being asses about it over a big 3 anime, I guess.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
HXH comes out sporadically and is often on hiatus because the author has some kind of vague medical issue

Berserk comes out sporadically and is often on hiatus because the author is lazy and has enough money to not care about putting out material on a schedule

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I just wanna watch them watch Boruto and see the reactions to the cake scene.

doos
Jan 1, 2015

There's one benefit from the FNF in that Woolie has yet another potentially ruined Christmas under his belt.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Lady Maria is so fuckin cool.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Was there new dialogue and item added in patch to that npc they've met at the end? Haven't seen either before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The Berserk author specifically goes on hiatus at times because he loves Idolmaster