Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Star Citizen: Don't worry. It's a known issue. Everything is normal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux4mfiD919s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

This makes perfect sense. The delays aren't the failures of a known hack with a history of failure at this exact endeavor. No, the delays, ALL OF THEM, are the result of making a better game. As is painfully evident by the incredible quality viewable on the PTU 2.1.0, and the fact that the game, as it stands, still has no design.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I have no idea how to phrase this concept, so try to bear with me.

I've been toying around on the test servers, and the game has a weird feel to it that I think I can explain now. The "ships" are not actually vehicles in the sense of having the feel you'd expect from even a 90s game like Tie Fighter. Rather, the "ships" are just first-person shooter player-characters. Except, instead of the character being a little spaceman, the character is shaped like a spaceship.

You run around, and when you "get in" a ship, it's just superimposing your first-person toon into a larger first-person toon shell, and now you're "controlling" that ship, but really, technically, you ARE the ship. The flight-model is laughable, because it's just a tweaked first-person engine. Turn off gravity, make your forward speed a dynamic value and boom - you're "flying." So there's actually no flight model, or flight physics, because that isn't what the game was designed for.

I don't know if this is what they did or not. It just very much feels like it. If I'm right, then they still haven't achieved the "holy grail" of FPS and flight intermixed - all they did was tweak a FPS engine to make your character model look like a spaceship. There were Quake mods that did this poo poo decades ago, and better.

Nothing can explain how bad it sucks. It's like the Matrix - you have to see it for yourself.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Crash74 posted:

Lol every picture of her needs to have black demon eyes.

Was going to post this, every pic of Sandi posted MUST have the black eyes!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Dapper Dan posted:

Where we are going, you won't need eyes to see...

(Event Horizon is the best WH40k movie)

Also the best Doom movie.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Someone put up a poll asking how large players expected battles to be in Star Citizen. This is what ended up happening to it.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6153265/#Comment_6153265

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 26, 2015

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

This is, a Chris Roberts movie.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Mirificus posted:

Someone put up a poll asking how large players expected battles to be in Star Citizen. This is what ended up happening to it.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6153265/#Comment_6153265

I have a pole for you, Nicole.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mirificus posted:

Holy poo poo how is that possibly a concern.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Better safe than sorry imo

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Is there a guide or manual for posting on the official Star Citizen forums, I wouldn't want to type the wrong letter by accident. :ohdear:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

SC's spinning ships are a feature, not a bug.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Scruffpuff posted:

I've been toying around on the test servers, and the game has a weird feel to it that I think I can explain now. The "ships" are not actually vehicles in the sense of having the feel you'd expect from even a 90s game like Tie Fighter. Rather, the "ships" are just first-person shooter player-characters. Except, instead of the character being a little spaceman, the character is shaped like a spaceship.

You run around, and when you "get in" a ship, it's just superimposing your first-person toon into a larger first-person toon shell, and now you're "controlling" that ship, but really, technically, you ARE the ship. The flight-model is laughable, because it's just a tweaked first-person engine. Turn off gravity, make your forward speed a dynamic value and boom - you're "flying." So there's actually no flight model, or flight physics, because that isn't what the game was designed for.

I don't know if this is what they did or not. It just very much feels like it. If I'm right, then they still haven't achieved the "holy grail" of FPS and flight intermixed - all they did was tweak a FPS engine to make your character model look like a spaceship. There were Quake mods that did this poo poo decades ago, and better.

Nothing can explain how bad it sucks. It's like the Matrix - you have to see it for yourself.

This is a choice that's been in place for years. Some people like it, others do not. Personally I feel there's little in the way of momentum or weight to the ships, particularly the small ones, and the game devolves into primarily being about maximizing hits on target (in other words a FPS). There's little use for cover, or chases, or getting an advantage of momentum over your opponent, because the maneuvering thrusters are so powerful that the ships essentially behave like FPS. It's better to compare it to the Descent remake than a space sim.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's better to compare it to the Descent remake than a space sim.

Bingo - that's it. It reminds me of Descent, but bad. I remember that game did the same thing - you were "flying" a ship but really it was just a FPS without gravity.

So if they made the decision to go that way with this game, WHY have all these different kinds of ships with different sizes that have different handling characteristics? Making them feel different is going to become roughly 710% of their job.

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is a choice that's been in place for years. Some people like it, others do not. Personally I feel there's little in the way of momentum or weight to the ships, particularly the small ones, and the game devolves into primarily being about maximizing hits on target (in other words a FPS). There's little use for cover, or chases, or getting an advantage of momentum over your opponent, because the maneuvering thrusters are so powerful that the ships essentially behave like FPS. It's better to compare it to the Descent remake than a space sim.

Additional to this, you are flying in coupled mode which makes it also FPSish, try flying in decoupled mode, it's a totally different story again.

e:

Scruffpuff posted:

Bingo - that's it. It reminds me of Descent, but bad. I remember that game did the same thing - you were "flying" a ship but really it was just a FPS without gravity.

So if they made the decision to go that way with this game, WHY have all these different kinds of ships with different sizes that have different handling characteristics? Making them feel different is going to become roughly 710% of their job.

Not really, the ships use MASS + X amount of thrusters. There is no work trying to make them feel different. They will feel according to what they think a ship should accomplish, and even then, in the end,they can just change numbers, if they think it doesn't feel right. A good example for "cheating" with numbers is the cutlass, and even more, cheating is involved in the Vandul fighter, since they had to add invisible mass to the fighter because otherwise you couldn't really fly it at this point. Same reason why the Herald changed in design.

Paradigmata fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 26, 2015

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Scruffpuff posted:

How is this different from Freespace 2? Just curious.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Omi-Polari posted:

How is this different from Freespace 2? Just curious.

Never played it, so can't say. Maybe it's not.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Holy poo poo how is that possibly a concern.
The Concern forum really does seem to be where CIG moderators send threads to die. I saw the thread before Christmas and, curious about the results, went back to check it today only to find that the poll no longer exists.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

pftc posted:

They could have totally saved Matthew Lilard's girlfriend but for some reason they can't put on space suits. There is no reason given as to why they can't assist someone that is literally a few feet away. (It also wouldn't be on fire but compared to other errors this is minor). But I will tell you the reason. The reason is that this is the part of the submarine movie where someone gets sealed in the compartment that is filling with water and the other characters are helpless and can do nothing but close the hatch. Except Roberts actually has severe autism and doesn't know what a metaphor is or how to properly do symbolism. So even though they are in space - the word itself implying there is nothing between them and the ship - the scene plays out as if they are deep underwater. Which leads to the hilarious scenario where there is a space bulldozer that pushes the fighter off the runway where it actually drops as if space had gravity.

Squadron 42 will have 10 hours of this writing.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Look who's back.

https://disqus.com/by/disqus_s3D8WsLVVR/

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
How are people still arguing in the comments of that article.

I guess when there is nothing to actually do in SC the only thing to do is write an unending stream of stupid poo poo online attacking anyone who is even moderately critical about the "game."

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Karl works for cig

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

xanif posted:

How are people still arguing in the comments of that article.

I guess when there is nothing to actually do in SC the only thing to do is write an unending stream of stupid poo poo online attacking anyone who is even moderately critical about the "game."

Citizens invading every article that speaks negatively of the game and its community reminds me a lot of Philip J. Fry.
“People called me stupid, but I proved them!”

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

"Screw it, I'll take the ladder."

"I believe I can fly."

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

kickstart crowd funded accounts for all these buttmad people

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

MeLKoR posted:

SC's spinning ships are a feature, not a bug.

Can confirm. You can not do this in Elite.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tippis posted:

Also the best Doom movie.

No way.

The best Doom Movie is Ghosts of Mars.

Fun fact: Half the reason that movie sucks is Ice Cube and John Carpenter wanted Jason Statham in the lead roll but the producers told him "Some British guy isn't bankable" and made them swap characters. But still the music, set design, fact it's actually set on Mars (another fun fact: Doom was changed to Mars in post production after fan backlash; it was a last minute change)...

I love Event Horizon but Ghosts of Mars was Doom as gently caress

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

No way.

The best Doom Movie is Ghosts of Mars.
Haven't seen it because everyone says it sucks. Maybe I should… :ohdear::

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tippis posted:

Set your expectations at "Doom movie" and you'll dig it. Heavy metal John Carpenter-produced music blaring as they mow down tons of possessed people on Mars with machine guns.

Even the art/set design (which predates Doom 3) is VERY Doom 3, like to the point I think iD took some inspiration. Ice Cube loving blows though.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

pftc posted:

Not if its all tooth :colbert:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Star Citizen upset over colored text.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/308850/could-a-mod-or-staff-member-clarify-something-about-the-forum-rules

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
Aaaand it's locked.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Tippis posted:

Just be warned, Ghosts of Mars is the movie that got John Carpenter to leave Hollywood for awhile due to massive struggles with the producers (see others talking about Ice Cube and Statham supposed to have reverse roles but there was a lot of other problems).

Just look at it like a Doom movie and go into it with a bad B movie expectations and it will be fine. It is way better than Wing Commander at least even if that isn't saying much.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dapper Dan posted:

Just be warned, Ghosts of Mars is the movie that got John Carpenter to leave Hollywood for awhile due to massive struggles with the producers (see others talking about Ice Cube and Statham supposed to have reverse roles but there was a lot of other problems).

Just look at it like a Doom movie and go into it with a bad B movie expectations and it will be fine. It is way better than Wing Commander at least even if that isn't saying much.

Yep, pretty much this 100%, though honestly "bad B movie" is the most fitting thing you could make for Doom.

That said, the soundtrack is absolutely great FPS music.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Now imagine that being read by the foam girl.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

DoctorStrangelove posted:

How is Lt. Commander higher than Grand Admiral?

It's closer to "wing commander"

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/309205/how-do-you-feel-about-fps-and-character-movement

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Even star ship troopers is 100x better than wing commander, casper van dien is a shakespearean poet compared to thoes chuckle fucks.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Crash74 posted:

Even star ship troopers is 100x better than wing commander, casper van dien is a shakespearean poet compared to thoes chuckle fucks.

ahem. starship troopers is legit as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

"The guy who wrote the manual on how to fake demos in CryEngine works there, so obviously it wasn't faked."

• Locked thread