Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Gunslinger posted:

Can that replace the useless windows search? Like integrate into start search results?

No, sadly can't integrate. But it does search instantly and very thoroughly. I like it a lot

[edit] and it can search network locations as well

redeyes fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

slidebite posted:

Is there word yet on an official or unofficial tool to stop automatic downloads and installs of ~whatever~ MS wants you to have? That's probably the biggest single reason why I haven't updated any of my boxes/laptops yet.
You can also disable the Windows update service, but then of course you won't get any updates whatsoever.

That's been my workaround so far on W10, enable the service periodically, let it download any updates, restart, and turn it back off again. I can pretend I'm using a normal, sane method of updating once again, with only a couple extra steps.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

If you disable updates will it just give you everything when you turn it back on or can you pick and choose? I do install 99% of what MS wants me to install but there is still that 1% in the past I don't want.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

astral posted:

The linked media feature pack was for build 10240. You need this one instead if you have the November update: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49919
Wait hold on, is this a thing I have to constantly update based on whatever build of Windows I have? Vimeo videos and other poo poo like Vine started working fine after getting this, but it just recently broke.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

slidebite posted:

If you disable updates will it just give you everything when you turn it back on or can you pick and choose? I do install 99% of what MS wants me to install but there is still that 1% in the past I don't want.
Still just gives you everything Microsoft pushes on you, sadly.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

slidebite posted:

Is there word yet on an official or unofficial tool to stop automatic downloads and installs of ~whatever~ MS wants you to have? That's probably the biggest single reason why I haven't updated any of my boxes/laptops yet.

are you running Pro? you could run the Current Branch for Business and skip out on all the feature packs, just get security upgrades

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
After some update last night the windows app store and all its dependent and built in apps have stoped working. WSreset giving me an error that i need an app to open the appstore, all sort of poowershell re-register commands suggested online dosent seem to fix it. anyone got any idea ?

edit:
never-mind windows upgrade-repair fixed it, but I still question the wisdom of tying so many OS functions to a crappy store front .

admataY fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 25, 2015

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I dunno where to ask this. I'm having trouble signing into the xbox live app on a laptop running win10.

I can sign in on the website but running mine craft I get a sign in error 0x80860010.

My google-fu has failed me. Can anyone help?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

O&O ShutUp 10 has a thing which supposedly blocks driver updates.

Probably only works on Pro, since all it does is set group policies, but it's a decent free app for getting all the :tinfoil: settings together for those who want them.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Got my kid a new laptop with W10 on it for Christmas. While trying to reinstall various programs, Photshop CS4 gave me an error, 1603: AdobeColorCommonSetRGB. I did some checking, and it seems that the installer isn't getting permisson to overwrite a single file. All of the solutions I found were for Windows 7 or older.

Does anyone know how to fix it in Windows 10?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Kheldarn posted:

Got my kid a new laptop with W10 on it for Christmas. While trying to reinstall various programs, Photshop CS4 gave me an error, 1603: AdobeColorCommonSetRGB. I did some checking, and it seems that the installer isn't getting permisson to overwrite a single file. All of the solutions I found were for Windows 7 or older.

Does anyone know how to fix it in Windows 10?

Which file?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Lum posted:

Which file?

\System32\spool\DRIVERS\COLOR\sRGB Color Space Profile.icm

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Should just be a case of right click -> security, take ownership (Change it from TrustedInstaller to administrator) then set sensible permissions on it. Chances are it was the same in Win7.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Win10, insider build 11082.
Its stopped showing me the window for file transfers. They proceed normally, but it doesn't show the window.

Anybody else experiencing that?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

ilkhan posted:

Win10, insider build 11082.
Its stopped showing me the window for file transfers. They proceed normally, but it doesn't show the window.

Anybody else experiencing that?

It's a known issue with that build. Read the release notes, especially when you're on the fast track Insider builds.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

MikusR posted:

It happened once with the November update.

It just happened again for me with the December one :smugjones:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

It's a known issue with that build. Read the release notes, especially when you're on the fast track Insider builds.
Ahhhh. Ok.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I've got a weird question. I just got an Asus TP200S. It's a budget laptop/tablet (Microsoft was selling them for $250 on cyber Monday) and I am pleasantly surprised with it. It switches between tablet and laptop mode seamlessly. Very good battery life and seems to run videos and browse the web and stuff just fine.

Anyway my question is this: why would they ship this with the 64-bit version of Windows 10 when this laptop has 2GB? This 2GB is soldered on and cannot be upgraded, so there's no chance of it ever having more than 3GB.

I just thought this was sort of weird, especially since this is a Microsoft "signature" laptop. I really do not care much but I am kind of curious as to anything technical I might be missing as to why they put a 64 bit OS on a laptop/tablet guaranteed to never have more than 2GB of ram. Anyone "in the know" around here, I'd appreciate your insight! Thank you!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

There's zero benefit to 32 bit windows these days. If the hardware is capable, 64 bit is the default answer.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

ilkhan posted:

There's zero benefit to 32 bit windows these days. If the hardware is capable, 64 bit is the default answer.

Well that's the thing. From what I can see, the hardware isn't benefitting from the 64-bit OS because of its permanent 2GB of RAM. Unless I am daft on the subject.

I was also under the impression that 32-bit Windows ran a little faster on devices with 2GB or less. At least that's what sevenforums said.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Maybe seven years ago. Nowadays the only reason you'd run 32-bit is if you wanted to run 16-bit applications.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Melmac posted:

Well that's the thing. From what I can see, the hardware isn't benefitting from the 64-bit OS because of its permanent 2GB of RAM. Unless I am daft on the subject.

Rest assured, you are.

Many CPU operations are length-agnostic - that is, the CPU can do as many of them in a given span of time whether the data is 32- or 64-bit - so running in 64-bit mode is twice as fast. This includes de/compression and de/encryption, both of which are things that come up on the Internet occasionally.

Also 64-bit architectures have better security management, code rigor enforcement, etc.

Melmac posted:

what sevenforums said

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Melmac posted:

I was also under the impression that 32-bit Windows ran a little faster on devices with 2GB or less. At least that's what sevenforums said.
It also simplifies their driver and image base if they don't need to maintain a 32 bit base image anymore.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

ilkhan posted:

It also simplifies their driver and image base if they don't need to maintain a 32 bit base image anymore.

That makes sense. Thank you.

I didn't think about the processor thing because it has some sort of low-end Celeron. I wasn't about to install Win10 32-bit or anything, I was just wondering why they put 64-bit on this thing when Win10 32-bit exists. Thanks for clearing it up!

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
This one I can't even manage to find answers by searching the internet.

The built in Calendar program does not show anything in my calendar past June 6th of next year. I have entries entered until December 31 2016 so I have no clue why this is. I loaded my calendar into my Android phone and iPad just fine so I am not sure what is going on. All boxes are checked. Did anyone have a problem with the built-in Calendar not showing your entries past a certain date?

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
It's also worth noting that 64 bit code gets to use twice as many registers, 16 instead of 8, and that usually makes it a good bit faster despite the cost of larger pointers.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The default win10 graphics driver on my laptop did not support opengl 2.0 and was totally useless. I installed an unsigned driver from the manufacturers homepage, but windows suddenly and without warning reverted to the old driver 2 days later. It also closed all my open windows and destroyed around 20 min of unsaved work while doing so.

Jesus christ, how is this possible? I get the forced updates, but why would you prevent people from having working drivers and destroy their work by restarting the system without warning?

Is there something I can do about this and did they fire the moron who came up with it, or is this poo poo just the beginning?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

waitwhatno posted:

The default win10 graphics driver on my laptop did not support opengl 2.0 and was totally useless. I installed an unsigned driver from the manufacturers homepage, but windows suddenly and without warning reverted to the old driver 2 days later. It also closed all my open windows and destroyed around 20 min of unsaved work while doing so.

Jesus christ, how is this possible? I get the forced updates, but why would you prevent people from having working drivers and destroy their work by restarting the system without warning?

Is there something I can do about this and did they fire the moron who came up with it, or is this poo poo just the beginning?

You can load the pro version and defer updates as much as you want.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

redeyes posted:

You can load the pro version and defer updates as much as you want.

I don't want to defer updates, I'm resigned to no longer being in control of my computer. All I want now is to use working drivers on my system, without windows reverting them back to non working ones.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It might help if you mentioned what the graphics hardware is on your system and who the manufacturer is.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

waitwhatno posted:

I don't want to defer updates, I'm resigned to no longer being in control of my computer. All I want now is to use working drivers on my system, without windows reverting them back to non working ones.

Then you actually do want to defer updates.. I get you don't like it but the solution is Pro.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
What's the status on windows 10 and game compatibility? I'm thinking on upgrading my new touchscreen laptop from 8.1 to 10

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Honest Thief posted:

What's the status on windows 10 and game compatibility? I'm thinking on upgrading my new touchscreen laptop from 8.1 to 10

If it runs on 8.1 it will run on 10 and probably better.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Captain Novolin posted:

That's fine with me! Thanks!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Lum posted:

Should just be a case of right click -> security, take ownership (Change it from TrustedInstaller to administrator) then set sensible permissions on it. Chances are it was the same in Win7.

Windows wouldn't let me do that, but a quick Google search lead me to Take Ownership EX by the WinAero team, and that let me do it. Child is now extra happy, since a drawing tablet was also a gift.

Thanks!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Honest Thief posted:

There's pretty much nothing that ran on Vista/7 64 bit that won't run on 8/10 64 bit. Similarly anything that ran on Vista/7 32 bit still runs on 8/10 32 bit (such as Windows 3.x games) but it's rare that you'd have a reason to run 32 bit Win 10.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Also 64-bit architectures have better security management, code rigor enforcement, etc.

What do you mean by this?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Captain Novolin posted:

Except for Just Cause 2, apparently. I didn't try it on 8.1 before updating, but now there are some serious graphics glitches that make the game unplayable. The company's support wasn't particularly helpful.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

What do you mean by this?

You generally get less out of exploits on 64bit systems. Address Space Layout Randomization, always-on hardware DEP, kernel patch protection and forced driver signing make the system more robust to buffer overflows and rootkits.

It's mostly a "cost" problem; it takes more effort and more novel exploits to hit 64bit systems, slightly tilting the arms race in the favour of regular patching.

It seems malware authors are catching up now though, given their only options are 64bit for the majority part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Khablam posted:

You generally get less out of exploits on 64bit systems. Address Space Layout Randomization, always-on hardware DEP, kernel patch protection and forced driver signing make the system more robust to buffer overflows and rootkits.

It's mostly a "cost" problem; it takes more effort and more novel exploits to hit 64bit systems, slightly tilting the arms race in the favour of regular patching.

It seems malware authors are catching up now though, given their only options are 64bit for the majority part.

ASLR gets more bits on 64 bit, that's good. DEP works fine on 32 bit Windows. Patch protection and driver signing could be enabled on 32 bit, that's a reflection of Microsoft making weird choices for SKU reasons rather than having any connection to the actual architecture.