Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I wonder when they'll realize the defense of "you're not buying a ship, you're donating and getting a ship for it" is pure semantic sophistry.

It's the dumb argument that EVERY support of a crowd funding project uses.

The sooner they close the "it's just a donation, not a pre-order" loophole that crowdfunding relies on, the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

star citizen is like that jefferson starship song where they built the city on rock and roll, except star citizen is built on semantics and cocaine

so basically rock and roll

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
yes do me too gryphon-san

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

what I'm really saying is we built this city is a great song and if star citizen came out I would dedicate my life to flying around as a space DJ taking all requests as long as all requests are to play we built this city on loop until the heat death of SC's universe

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Gramaphone0468 definitely isn't Karl.

Hello Daniel Simons.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

If they're really donations then it should be okay for CIG to come out and say that due to the growing overhead of selling ships they're just not going to make about 80% of them so that they can focus on making the game

how many SC nerds would still be okay with their "donations" after that?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Punch line: it's a very real possibility that they don't make 100% of them, either.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Gryphons are awesome. Half eagle, half lion, all badass. Also impossible to lie when in their presence. 0468 is first numbers in my mobile number, used those numbers because Gryphon by itself is usually taken. Used drater gnikcuf a lot when younger, it's my name backwards. I've had fucking_retard.at.hotmail.dot.com since my first email account about 12 years old.

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

Nation posted:

ahem. starship troopers is legit as gently caress

I want to know more!

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

fuctifino posted:

Hello Daniel Simons.

you're dumb, it's his name backwards, so his name is obviously Nohpyrg

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

fuctifino posted:

He's not worth doxxing.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

That's definitely Karl. Lol if you can't spot that garbage person tone from a mile away

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

:gary:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

That's the most self aware citizen I've ever seen

yes, maybe they should stop making capital ships to raise more grog money and instead make a game

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/32646/inglourious-basterds-ib-oceania-organisation-freelancing-social/p1

He's pretty great, I was bored. He's recruiting for his firefly cosplay Star Citizen club if anyone wants in.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Lowtechs posted:

Seriously did this person compare griefing to rape?

Yes and the new term now is

GRAPING-a combination of griefing while raping

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Lowtechs posted:

Seriously did this person compare griefing to rape?
I suppose it's consistent with how they keep on using the term non-consensual PvP.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
How do I change my name to "cupidstunt 0101010"?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/profile/LeinadGryphon

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Truga posted:

Umm, when did you last test it, because I tested it on 2.0 PTU and it only downloaded the full 30 gigs once.

e: And it also wasn't doing the separate downloading/patching phases anymore either. It was just one pass.

Yeah, that's why I said "in some cases". And that depends on the state of the files you already have. They don't do any differential patching. I know this for a fact. They're just pushing files via their in-house Perforce commits.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I wonder when they'll realize the defense of "you're not buying a ship, you're donating and getting a ship for it" is pure semantic sophistry.
When CIG admits they're going to continue selling ship packages for cash after release.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Griphon34551098 is such a sad lil fella.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Gryphon0468 posted:

I don't give a poo poo about anything else on this website.

Zoooooom.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if gryphon was actually Chris roberts himself?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6154170/#Comment_6154170

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

AP posted:

$1000-$2499

Is that bird avatar some sort of furry poo poo? (Are there bird furries?)

Star citizen's are a hosed up bunch of people.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gryphon0468 posted:

Tell that to your buddy Jobbo Fett he's triggering me. Also, happening to catch a post from someone who IS in a community I frequent and commenting in that same thread isn't exactly staking buddy. Like, at all.

shut the gently caress up karl you stupid piece of poo poo

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

tooterfish posted:

When CIG admits they're going to continue selling ship packages for cash after release.

I doubt it, based on studies by several distinguished scientists. Spergs will just reason out if that happens, just like when the scope ballooned up to blesnick level and scope creep now is good for the game.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

MilesK posted:

stick it in my cloaca

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

MilesK posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6157117/#Comment_6157117

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Does planetside 2 use some strange system to calculate kill/death ratio? How could your kills be less than your deaths if you'd played it for ages?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

There's enough material here for an entire conference.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

AP posted:

Does planetside 2 use some strange system to calculate kill/death ratio? How could your kills be less than your deaths if you'd played it for ages?

Well planetside 2 doesnt have real physics you see

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

AP posted:

lol.

I'm the guy who's played a game for 3+ years and still suck at said game, ama.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
I am disappointed I missed the gryphon flyby, he's all we have left since Karl wont come back. Be a pal gryph and mention me next time. I dont shitpost to be ignored

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

I have no idea how to phrase this concept, so try to bear with me.

I've been toying around on the test servers, and the game has a weird feel to it that I think I can explain now. The "ships" are not actually vehicles in the sense of having the feel you'd expect from even a 90s game like Tie Fighter. Rather, the "ships" are just first-person shooter player-characters. Except, instead of the character being a little spaceman, the character is shaped like a spaceship.

You run around, and when you "get in" a ship, it's just superimposing your first-person toon into a larger first-person toon shell, and now you're "controlling" that ship, but really, technically, you ARE the ship. The flight-model is laughable, because it's just a tweaked first-person engine. Turn off gravity, make your forward speed a dynamic value and boom - you're "flying." So there's actually no flight model, or flight physics, because that isn't what the game was designed for.

I don't know if this is what they did or not. It just very much feels like it. If I'm right, then they still haven't achieved the "holy grail" of FPS and flight intermixed - all they did was tweak a FPS engine to make your character model look like a spaceship. There were Quake mods that did this poo poo decades ago, and better.

Nothing can explain how bad it sucks. It's like the Matrix - you have to see it for yourself.

It's because of the following:

1) CryEngine3 has a very basic and rudimentary vehicle controller because it's primarily an fps level based engine

2) They have to build an actual physics based vehicle (see the hangar buggies) controller from the above

3) They have to build an actual physics based flight dynamics controller from the above

4) And #3 has to be tweaked for all the different space craft in the game

5) They have to make an fps controller work inside a level (station or space craft). Aside from the fact that the ships (multi-crew or not) are just vehicle (see above) components being moved around in a level

The end result is that the vehicles and ships feel like characters because they are all the same hybrid controllers with various settings to make them "feel" like vehicles and/or ships

That's why it's all FUBAR and why I keep saying that this game, as pitched, will never - ever - see the light of day.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AP posted:

dude must have a vast torso to house those 5055 medals

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
Seriously tho gryph, you should come back to the thread. We are your support group for when SC goes down in flames after all

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Dang Gryphon0468 just did a bunch of spergposts. Gryphon0468 I am trying to understand you so enlighten me more about yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

D_Smart posted:

It's because of the following:

1) CryEngine3 has a very basic and rudimentary vehicle controller because it's primarily an fps level based engine

2) They have to build an actual physics based vehicle (see the hangar buggies) controller from the above

3) They have to build an actual physics based flight dynamics controller from the above

4) And #3 has to be tweaked for all the different space craft in the game

5) They have to make an fps controller work inside a level (station or space craft). Aside from the fact that the ships (multi-crew or not) are just vehicle (see above) components being moved around in a level

The end result is that the vehicles and ships feel like characters because they are all the same hybrid controllers with various settings to make them "feel" like vehicles and/or ships

That's why it's all FUBAR and why I keep saying that this game, as pitched, will never - ever - see the light of day.

So they've hacked together what an amateur modder would refer to as a "trick", and called it a game. This will end well.

• Locked thread