Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Cynic Jester posted:

Victoria 2: War of the Worlds

Victoria 2: You Should See Me Dance the Polka (music DLC)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

I can't help but want a light-hearted Stellaris themed expansion for eu4 now. Maybe aliens can decide to uplift some OPM who gets massive tech discounts. There could be some sort of religious crisis where provinces may decide to abandon their traditional religion in light of the existence of a more advanced alien species. Obviously another comet option like "I want to believe".

Oh, and better representation of China.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Page 88. Let's play Hearts of Iron IV.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Unless Stellaris has NATO counters I want HOI4 to come out before it.

If it has NATO counters I'm open for discussion

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
In Victoria 2, do crises only target the player nation? It seems that every crisis that happens is "chunk off a bunch of the player empire" - I haven't seen one targeting an AI yet.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Gort posted:

In Victoria 2, do crises only target the player nation? It seems that every crisis that happens is "chunk off a bunch of the player empire" - I haven't seen one targeting an AI yet.

There's no bias against the player when it comes to developing crisis points afaik.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Gort posted:

They happen when a nation has land with another nations core or culture in it and tension rises in those provinces. So if you are playing a nation that starts off with culture or cores from another nation, or have gone on a conquering spree to take them, then you will get crises pretty often. Outside of colonial races, great powers won't get a crisis against other great powers. It is usually secondary powers or lower which will rise up. In my last game I took a slice of Japan in the last quarter of the game and kept getting crises from it. Likewise, the Ottomans will usually have them happen because of Greece in the early game, and Russia will have them come from Poland.

There can only be one crisis happening at once, which might be what is making it look like it is only targeting you.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Hmm, maybe I'm letting tensions rise too much in my empire then - I've only seen three crises and they've all been targeting me.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Gort posted:

Hmm, maybe I'm letting tensions rise too much in my empire then - I've only seen three crises and they've all been targeting me.

Who are you playing?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

Who are you playing?

Anyone else guessing "the Ottomans"?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

popewiles posted:

I can't help but want a light-hearted Stellaris themed expansion for eu4 now. Maybe aliens can decide to uplift some OPM who gets massive tech discounts. There could be some sort of religious crisis where provinces may decide to abandon their traditional religion in light of the existence of a more advanced alien species. Obviously another comet option like "I want to believe".

Oh, and better representation of China.
Aliens arrive at a random time and burn any country presently at war to the ground, reducing their provinces to an uncolonized state.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

Who are you playing?

The Ottomans first, then the Russians. Bulgaria, Estonia, Finland were the three crises, first one as the Ottomans, second two as the Russians.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Gort posted:

The Ottomans first, then the Russians. Bulgaria, Estonia, Finland were the three crises, first one as the Ottomans, second two as the Russians.

A little bit of bad luck with the Russians, but absolutely no surprise with the Ottomans.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah, in every Vicky 2 game I've ever played, the Ottomans get picked on nearly every crisis for the first half of the game, and then one of the Chinese cliques for the second half.

mmtt
May 8, 2009
Managed to be on both sides of a crisis war. Fighting with the UK against Russia and myself.
No way to win? No way to lose?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
You should've added a bunch of war demands against yourself to see what happens.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Another Person posted:

You should've added a bunch of war demands against yourself to see what happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-9qZ4Zs6Ys

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
I'm playing in the new Vicky2 beta as USA in the hopes of owning North America. I open by taking Yucatan off of Mexico while Texas fights them, with the expectation of beating up Mexico for Manifest Destiny in the second war. The problem I run into is that the UK then allies Mexico. How do I prevent that, break their alliance, or...? Because fighting the UK seems like a non-starter. I've tried this start twice and it happened both times, even with a bit of savescumming to test. It doesn't seem to depend on the UK's opinion of me. They already have another GP ally so I can't ally them. Ideas?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Jackson Taus posted:

I'm playing in the new Vicky2 beta as USA in the hopes of owning North America. I open by taking Yucatan off of Mexico while Texas fights them, with the expectation of beating up Mexico for Manifest Destiny in the second war. The problem I run into is that the UK then allies Mexico. How do I prevent that, break their alliance, or...? Because fighting the UK seems like a non-starter. I've tried this start twice and it happened both times, even with a bit of savescumming to test. It doesn't seem to depend on the UK's opinion of me. They already have another GP ally so I can't ally them. Ideas?

Is Mexico too big to sphere? I forget if you can conquer countries in your sphere or not, but if you can, that might work.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Cantorsdust posted:

Is Mexico too big to sphere? I forget if you can conquer countries in your sphere or not, but if you can, that might work.

I'm pretty sure you can't, right? Plus it's kinda hard to sphere someone right after you punched a state out of them and have them at -200 with a truce.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Cantorsdust posted:

You can't, pretty sure about that. You could try using influence to lower the opinion of Britain in Mexico and maybe get them to break the alliance that way, but that seems questionable, especially given the whole "first step is warring them for Yucatan" part.

The UK problem is one you run into relatively frequently. Whatever you seem to be doing in Vicky, Great Britain is there to poo poo on your pancakes and ruin your day. Ideally, dealing with them as the USA shouldn't even be a question, you should be powerful enough to wipe the floor with Mexico, the Canadian troops and whatever the UK might land, then just grind them out through occupation because eventually even the loving Brits give up. In my Two Sicilies game, I had to grind them out over trying to take Libya from the Ottomans, and while I had to take some prestige hits juggling my +4 Attack general between Africa and Europe depending on where he was needed, the UK never managed to land enough troops for me to get overwhelmed and I eventually got the victory through battle warscore and ticking warscore. That's the general plan vs. the UK, being stronger just makes it easier to pull off.

Actually, have you tried actually fighting the UK? Because the naval AI isn't so great that it can ferry the entire British army across the pond to make your life hell, and the Canadian troops aren't that much of a problem. Thinking about it, I've dealt with the UK a lot pretty early in USA games, usually over Washington/Idaho, and they usually weren't a massive problem because I'm still playing the USA, continental juggernaut in the making.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

TheMcD posted:

You can't, pretty sure about that. You could try using influence to lower the opinion of Britain in Mexico and maybe get them to break the alliance that way, but that seems questionable, especially given the whole "first step is warring them for Yucatan" part.

The UK problem is one you run into relatively frequently. Whatever you seem to be doing in Vicky, Great Britain is there to poo poo on your pancakes and ruin your day. Ideally, dealing with them as the USA shouldn't even be a question, you should be powerful enough to wipe the floor with Mexico, the Canadian troops and whatever the UK might land, then just grind them out through occupation because eventually even the loving Brits give up. In my Two Sicilies game, I had to grind them out over trying to take Libya from the Ottomans, and while I had to take some prestige hits juggling my +4 Attack general between Africa and Europe depending on where he was needed, the UK never managed to land enough troops for me to get overwhelmed and I eventually got the victory through battle warscore and ticking warscore. That's the general plan vs. the UK, being stronger just makes it easier to pull off.

Actually, have you tried actually fighting the UK? Because the naval AI isn't so great that it can ferry the entire British army across the pond to make your life hell, and the Canadian troops aren't that much of a problem. Thinking about it, I've dealt with the UK a lot pretty early in USA games, usually over Washington/Idaho, and they usually weren't a massive problem because I'm still playing the USA, continental juggernaut in the making.

There are 100K troops in Canada before I declare war. Right now I've restarted again and I got through a first war retaking every core except California (not trying for a state this time), but now UK has allied them again and gotten them up to Friendly during my truce, because gently caress me, that's why.

EDIT: I managed to beat them. That was a heck of a lot of work for one state.

Jackson Taus fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 27, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It would be kinda cool if Stellaris could support dual monitors. The ability to have a big zoomed out galaxy map on one screen would be very nice.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Demiurge4 posted:

It would be kinda cool if Stellaris could support dual monitors. The ability to have a big zoomed out galaxy map on one screen would be very nice.

Every Paradox game would probably benefit from dual monitor support to a large degree, but the gaming industry seems to have relegated multi-monitor concepts to "surround gaming" for racing games ever since Supreme Commander was a flop.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Has anyone had any luck with alliances in Victoria 2 since the beta patch? I am through a full playthrough as S-P -> Italy and halfway through a Nejd -> Arabia one with not a single time my allies joined on an offensive war (either at war dec time or through call ally), and maybe twice on a defensive war.

They seem to work well enough for the AI, with allies joining each other here and there, but never for me.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

canepazzo posted:

Has anyone had any luck with alliances in Victoria 2 since the beta patch? I am through a full playthrough as S-P -> Italy and halfway through a Nejd -> Arabia one with not a single time my allies joined on an offensive war (either at war dec time or through call ally), and maybe twice on a defensive war.

They seem to work well enough for the AI, with allies joining each other here and there, but never for me.

They're broke in some way, just like how it's impossible to get military access even if you're asking a sphereling to give it to you so you can save them from rebels.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Just like Paradox to release a broken patch just before a vacation.

When do they get back?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

dublish posted:

And here everyone thought they learned from their past mistakes with CKII.

VVV EDIT: So they learned a little. VVV

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 27, 2015

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
They specifically made it an opt-in patch because it was done entirely in their spare time and with no resources input from QA, so uhhh

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

And here everyone thought they learned from their past mistakes with CKII.
They do it on purpose, so people can spend time with their real families, not their fake computer families.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

YES! Coming back from Aurora, this was the thing I missed most. I literally play Aurora with all my info splayed out across 3 monitors.

canepazzo posted:

Huh, could be. I couldn't get my alllies to answer CTAs, but then I figured I was going up against Great Britain, so no wonder.

TheMcD posted:

They're broke in some way, just like how it's impossible to get military access even if you're asking a sphereling to give it to you so you can save them from rebels.

I think there's a delay in how long it takes for them to re-evaluate. I war-decced Mexico and it took Texas like a week to switch over to being willing to give me access.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I wonder if you can rename your fledgling space blob on the fly in Stellaris.

I would hope so.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Will astroids be able to capture your admirals?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Crash74 posted:

Will astroids be able to capture your admirals?

Yes, but you can break free by giving the asteroid a quick tumble!

Crash74
May 11, 2009
aww that rock baby looks just like you kirk

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
Is there some sort of guideline to what a good industrial score is at a given stage in the game? It's 1870 and I'm in 6th place industrially as USA. I feel like I screwed something up because I kind of changed tacks mid-playthrough. Or is USA just a late-bloomer?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Jackson Taus posted:

Is there some sort of guideline to what a good industrial score is at a given stage in the game? It's 1870 and I'm in 6th place industrially as USA. I feel like I screwed something up because I kind of changed tacks mid-playthrough. Or is USA just a late-bloomer?

You're fine. It's no big deal to be where you are, especially if Europe has avoided major wars and/or someone like the NGF/Germany has formed and/or the Civil War was particularly long. USA are indeed a bit of a late bloomer, and you are going to loving rocket up there once the 20th century rolls around, because several things - most notably population - will reach tipping points in your favor. Only the UK will reliably be better off than you; a unified, modernised China has a shot if that happened early enough, and if France, Germany, or Russia does particularly well they can also rival you, but it's probably 4 games in 5 the US will end up in the top two slots even if they stay totally to their own hemisphere.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

dublish posted:

When do they get back?

You opted into a beta patch that we explicitly said had not been QA'd and was at your own risk, dude.

I'll try to update it this week.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Jackson Taus posted:

As said above, it really doesn't matter that much. The thing you should care about is population numbers. The USA can soar past every European at roughly that time when China westernizes and immigrants start pouring in.
I usually don't bother minmaxing industry, I just subsidize everything (USA should easily be able to finance that) and let the market sort out the unprofitable factories whenever I get lazy fairies elected.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Dec 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

dublish posted:

When do they get back?

And this is why we can't have nice things.