Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/309360/would-you-surrender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I can't believe that Star Citizens are idolizing Paul Blart mall cop.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Paul Blart is art

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Can I tell you guys a secret?

I think GBS is pay to win.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
A nice example of how even if you see a game going downhill for a while, you never know when or where the axe will fall:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/566/view/news/read/37696/Firefall-RUMOR-Red-5-Fails-to-Meet-Payroll-CEO-Share-Valued-at-45M.html

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The catgirls have lost their homeworld.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
From his insane offsite rants about The Great Dr. Smart, he seems to be taking a lot of the platinum forum ops leaks to heart.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Firefall is a game that shares a lot of parallels with Star Citizen, the only difference being that Star Citizen had a ridiculously effective monetization model from the very beginning of its development hell.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Chocobo posted:

Firefall is a game that shares a lot of parallels with Star Citizen, the only difference being that Star Citizen had a ridiculously effective monetization model from the very beginning of its development hell.

Maybe once Chris and his succubus have blown through the rest of the cash, they'll need a bailout from a Chinese company. They'll buy the property under the condition that it is reworked into "Super-BattleCruiser-Gundam-HappyTime-Macross".

...actually, I'd play the poo poo out of that.

Wyld
Sep 2, 2015

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

Last time I checked, they didn't have patch servers; and they were not using third-party CDN like Akamai, Edgecast etc. Outside of that, pushing 30GB (!) worth of data with each patch, leads to massive bandwidth costs. Ask any IT person to explain it.

LOD doesn't have two servers. It has two server clusters. Each cluster being made up of six servers. Each cluster serves as one cohesive "game server"

We don't have bandwidth costs for patches because our entire game is served via Steam, which, via SteamWorks (dev API), is actually a full blown patching system which you feed patch scripts and it intelligently does the rest for clients downloading it.

DS - Would you do me the honor of joining up with Eve and supporting my campaign for something of a Intergalactic Student Council? I think your tenacity would add a bit of pomp and circumstance to my campaign.

Go ahead mull it over, but then come on over to https://bit.ly/1lY0tT8 and let them know we stand together.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

MeLKoR posted:

Derek Smart you should do a blogpost against anti-vaxxers. I can't wait for the "DS wants us to inject our children with mercury so they get the 'tism and purchase LoD" posts.

So.. SC backers were injected with mercury as infants and kids?

poo poo. Makes you wonder what us goons were injected with. Hate pressed lead maybe? Gold pressed latinum? Who knows.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Scruffpuff posted:

Maybe once Chris and his succubus have blown through the rest of the cash, they'll need a bailout from a Chinese company. They'll buy the property under the condition that it is reworked into "Super-BattleCruiser-Gundam-HappyTime-Macross".

...actually, I'd play the poo poo out of that.

Who would want to bail out a bloated four-studio production team mired in inefficiency and waste with a fundamentally unplayable piece of poo poo tech demo? The only potential bail out would come at the hands of someone who wants to make the monetization scheme even more exploitative and malicious.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

fuctifino posted:

Gramaphone0468 definitely isn't Karl.

Hello Daniel Simons.

Reported for doxxing.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tokamak posted:

stick it in my cloaca

Your feathers are SO fluffy, and your lice tickle my shaven groin...

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist
I've read enough dozens of pages to comprehend this hilarious trainwreck. In return I'd like to link this video which made me laugh like the idiot I am. I'm sure it's been posted somewhere in the 108,087 pages previous but maybe someone else like me ain't seen it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Haskell9 posted:

I've read enough dozens of pages to comprehend this hilarious trainwreck. In return I'd like to link this video which made me laugh like the idiot I am. I'm sure it's been posted somewhere in the 108,087 pages previous but maybe someone else like me ain't seen it.

:five:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
"I'm so far very encouraged by the appearance of ethical leadership by CI so far."

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/309312/some-newbie-questions-from-a-carebear

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.twitch.tv/lirik is streaming again, at first I thought I might just be too jaded from the thread and maybe it's kind of playable and neat then poo poo went belly up and it's awesome. "I don't really know what to do"

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Mirificus posted:

Someone put up a poll asking how large players expected battles to be in Star Citizen. This is what ended up happening to it.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6153265/#Comment_6153265

Holy poo poo how is that possibly a concern.
Indeed, we're not alone in wondering about that.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6160021/#Comment_6160021

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Uh oh, somebody is discussing moderation. Clear rule violation there.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 27, 2015

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

fuctifino posted:

Gramaphone0468 definitely isn't Karl.

Hello Daniel Simons.

Are we doxxing this creep? Cause if so he's 25 and lives in platinum account required

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I wonder when they'll realize the defense of "you're not buying a ship, you're donating and getting a ship for it" is pure semantic sophistry.

It is worse than sophistry, it is a defense against accusations of fraud when this whole thing inevitably collapses into a mess of disappointment, cocaine, mental illness and broken dreams. Its meant to go to normal people (IE: A jury or the feds) 'Oh, I wasn't exploiting mentally ill autistics with absolutely no grasp on the fundamentals of reality by charging them hundreds and thousands and even tens of thousands of dollars for imaginary space-ships based on nothing but their dreams and saying whatever I needed to get their money. No siree bob, it was just a donation!'

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
This game is the epitome of early access.

Starbound ain't got nothin' on this poo poo.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Twitch streams seemed to have died down a lot... I wonder if they figured you couldn't get blood from a stone.

ZenMaster fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 27, 2015

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

this him too?

http://www.skapal.com/member/leinadgryphon

quote:

LeinadGryphon
Looking for a girl with depth

quote:

I am what some people would call a white-knight

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

AP posted:

Does planetside 2 use some strange system to calculate kill/death ratio? How could your kills be less than your deaths if you'd played it for ages?

:yikes:

ZenMaster posted:

Twitch streams seemed to have died down a lot... I wonder if they figured you couldn't get blood from a stone.

I hope everyones good friend and neighbor, badnewsbaron, who quit his job or something to stream SC is doing well in these trying times.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Scruffpuff posted:

A nice example of how even if you see a game going downhill for a while, you never know when or where the axe will fall:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/566/view/news/read/37696/Firefall-RUMOR-Red-5-Fails-to-Meet-Payroll-CEO-Share-Valued-at-45M.html

Really sad for the regular wage workers. Hope they find something better for them pretty soon.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Rad Russian posted:

He sends $50 a month from his disability check to Croberts. Our taxes at work folks. Yikes.
I wonder if this guy complains about the spending habits of welfare recipients if they don't buy the most basic/cheapest goods.

lol he has an Idris

Acquilae fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 27, 2015

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Scruffpuff posted:

Goddamn, that's down right criminal.

And of course, the second post in the comments is someone relating this to Star Citizen, and the one immediately after it is "nuh-uh, is not!"

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

D_Smart posted:

Yes. The entire "game" - right now - is one glorified CryEngine3 mod.

Credits where credits due, they do have top notch (if very GPU hungry) graphic and model assets.

But then, 100M will get you a lot of pretty art in any field.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
"you see what I'll do is spell my name backwards, that way no one can tell that it's me" he thinks to himself, while subsequently posting about how his username is his name backwards, and also his thoughts on why gryphons are cool and good.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Carebear Captain B'tak becomes close to self-awareness

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6161165/#Comment_6161165

Eating, drinking, et al. in-game should not be optional because people who skip them will have time to have fun

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6157877/#Comment_6157877

Having only one walk speed is immersion breaking

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/309308/fast-walk-needed-for-tailing-recon-gameplay

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Great, glad to see my tax dollars hard at work paying for retards to fund other retards to play in a poop-filled sandbox.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Toops posted:

Great, glad to see my tax dollars hard at work paying for retards to fund other retards to play in a poop-filled sandbox.

lol you just reminded me of the one guy who was asking if his friend could give him his ships if he died before the game was completed.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Scruffpuff posted:

What a shame- I really liked Firefall. It was a game with a lot of interesting ideas, run into the ground by absolutely terrible management decisions, hubris, an unbelievable amount of money spent on an in-house media studio that never loving went anywhere, lack of any coherent vision about what the game was actually supposed to be, and endless rehashing/re-releasing of content. Kind of reminds me of some other company.

A tragedy for the employees, but anyone paying attention saw the writing on the wall for Red 5 a long long time ago. Except the fanboys of course. There are posts on that sub arguing about how the game's going to be great any day now, just you wait, as recently as two weeks ago. Fanboys are the same for every community. Star Citizen's just got a whole lot more of them.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 27, 2015

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Decrepus posted:

lol you just reminded me of the one guy who was asking if his friend could give him his ships if he died before the game was completed.

the brown sea truly has no bottom.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I really don't want to know any more about gryphon

I really, really don't

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I really don't want to know any more about gryphon

I really, really don't

Yeah some creepy doxxing last couple of pages. I do not want.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Toops posted:

Yeah some creepy doxxing last couple of pages. I do not want.

The petard the retard brought in was his own to be hoisted by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

$1,000+ for fake starships.

$0 for a date.

• Locked thread