Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

MeLKoR posted:

Serious question... is it ethical to shill for Star Citizen? On one hand people are getting ripped off, on the other hand it should be funny to watch the newcomers be jumped on by the cultizens when they start complaining about the "game", especially in the RSI forums.

I was thinking about this the other day. I've noticed a lot more "big name" youtube people and streamers recently giving the game a lot more coverage than it deserves. Like that levelcapgaming guys video someone posted a few pages back, sounds 100% like a sponsored video with 10 minutes of praise for the BDSSE and 30 seconds of game sucks right at the end. It wouldn't surprise me at all if CIG aren't slinging around jpeg packages to youtube/twitch personalities to try drum up some more hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I was asking if it's ethical for a goon to push as many incautious passersby through the door as possible. If some stranger on the internet says "I'm looking at this game and it looks amazing, I'm thinking about buying a ship" should they be encouraged?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

I was asking if it's ethical for a goon to push as many incautious passersby through the door as possible. If some stranger on the internet says "I'm looking at this game and it looks amazing, I'm thinking about buying a ship" should they be encouraged?

Only if you don't like them.

I figure best way to troll this thing well be to talk about how awesome it is, basically be a Karl on rsi/reddit, if you can copy the posting style of an extreme white knight well enough they'll never know who is serious and who is taking the piss. You also can do whatever you like in that manner safe from the mods.

I've been doing it for a while on RSI now and it's pretty funny what you can get away with.

AP fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Dec 27, 2015

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

MeLKoR posted:

It would be pushing people into a scam, you could argue that if you're stupid enough to buy into it that you deserve it but people are easily led.
Don't be "that" guy :]

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Shilling for Fart Shitizen is definitely an immoral act. Doesn't matter how much comedy might be produced, it's like scamming old people. Except instead of confused oldies it's fat sadbrain shut ins pissing away their welfare money on the hope of a better life in the starts

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

teh_Broseph posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/lirik is streaming again, at first I thought I might just be too jaded from the thread and maybe it's kind of playable and neat then poo poo went belly up and it's awesome. "I don't really know what to do"

At http://www.twitch.tv/lirik/v/31938480?t=7h27m45s he glitches out of a turret and appears to go into a free fall in space.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Nation posted:

you just copied that from your ok cupid replies

:gary:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Gawain The Blind posted:

Kickstartception

"i play alot and am not greedy i will share and let others fly. sign up at lethalitygaming.com and download voice comms teamspeak3 to chat with others in community"

I think that breaks just about every core Kickstarter rule. He's essentially setting up a lease company with zero accountability, so he can just turn around one day and say "shutting up shop, I get to keep everything!"

Digging around, the community he's using as validation he's legit, he's only posted 3 messages to. Such an obvious scam, it hurts.
http://www.lethalitygaming.com/members/zach-peters.113/

e.

It's like watching the wire and seeing Bubbles' new zany plan to make money to buy drugs.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
What if it's something snarky like "why are you even asking, can you get a better deal than a €300 ship anywhere else? Buy now before the price doubles!".

Fuuuck, I know... It's almost irresistible but there's a reason why it's making me feel like an rear end in a top hat, I was just hoping to hear "the parps justify the means". :smith:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Be disabled, have no money in your savings account, brag about how much you have donated to criberts, call other people poor.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Xaerael posted:

I think that breaks just about every core Kickstarter rule. He's essentially setting up a lease company with zero accountability, so he can just turn around one day and say "shutting up shop, I get to keep everything!"

Digging around, the community he's using as validation he's legit, he's only posted 3 messages to. Such an obvious scam, it hurts.
http://www.lethalitygaming.com/members/zach-peters.113/

e.

It's like watching the wire and seeing Bubbles' new zany plan to make money to buy drugs.

I'm surprised he doesn't have his referral code plastered all over the page.

I don't even know how his plan would work.
"Okay, I'll take your money and buy this ship. When you want to fly it let me know and I'll spawn it at the station and you can get in with me and you hop into the captain's chair before anybody else."

Turmoil fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Dec 27, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gryphon0468 posted:

Lol. But I'm the stalker right? ;D

How's your fantasy team doing?

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
2586... Ive spent less on cars. Heck the car I am driving right now I got for 2400 with tax title and all that jazz and I've been driving it since Chris Roberts started "developing" Star Citizen.

ether
May 20, 2001

Marching Powder posted:

i don't have much time or money because i buy pictures of space ships and spend ungodly amounts of time defending the purchase online across multiple forums but i'm looking for a gf. must have depth
Star Citizen : Why settle for a GIrlFriend, when you can have a Jumbosized Pirate Gunship.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Darkpriest667 posted:

2586... Ive spent less on cars. Heck the car I am driving right now I got for 2400 with tax title and all that jazz and I've been driving it since Chris Roberts started "developing" Star Citizen.

But with a car you can get a real life job. With a jpeg you can get at best the hope to maybe one day be a space stewardess serving hairy roberts to other broken people

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I will never get over the fact they made a mock up of a drinks mixing game, and one of the drinks was called hairy roberts

This was not a thing some goon put together to make fun of the concept but official artwork made to entice people into buying a space bus

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Two things:
-Technical question: What causes the character models to revert and lock into the "T position"?

-Lol at how people think that "Rescuing stranded players" is going to be some sort of gameplay element. As soon as someone calls for help somebody is going to respond and just murder the stranded player (or enslave them). That's basically all multiplayer games are is murder simulators.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Amarcarts posted:

Two things:
-Technical question: What causes the character models to revert and lock into the "T position"?

-Lol at how people think that "Rescuing stranded players" is going to be some sort of gameplay element. As soon as someone calls for help somebody is going to respond and just murder the stranded player (or enslave them). That's basically all multiplayer games are is murder simulators.

Elite has this thing called the "Fuel Rats" which is a group of players who fly out to stranded pilots and save them. I wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing happen in SC. I also wouldn't be surprised to see "rescuing" pilots become an easy source of slaves.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Elite has this thing called the "Fuel Rats" which is a group of players who fly out to stranded pilots and save them. I wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing happen in SC. I also wouldn't be surprised to see "rescuing" pilots become an easy source of slaves.

Well, first ships in Star Citizen would need fuel. But all I can imagine people doing is faking Space 911 calls and just murdering the ever-living gently caress out of the ambulance for shits and giggles. Or just making a Space 911 call from the farthest, most off the beaten path place so people will think 'Wow, this is expensive, I'll make some money!' so they go all the way out there and they find someone just pranked them.

It is going to be the biggest waste of time and then you are going to get angry forum posts by people who spent hundreds on a useless space ambulance that no uses Space 911 seriously.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dapper Dan posted:

Well, first ships in Star Citizen would need fuel. But all I can imagine people doing is faking Space 911 calls and just murdering the ever-living gently caress out of the ambulance for shits and giggles. Or just making a Space 911 call from the farthest, most off the beaten path place so people will think 'Wow, this is expensive, I'll make some money!' so they go all the way out there and they find someone just pranked them.

It is going to be the biggest waste of time and then you are going to get angry forum posts by people who spent hundreds on a useless space ambulance that no uses Space 911 seriously.

Supposedly they already have fuel. Not sure what it does, but you get more of it at the supply station. Also I think you dramatically underestimate the ability of people to punish themselves with stupid gameplay like that.

That said I think we should make a rescue group and call it "Suicide is Painless".

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Let me guess, this was some emergent gameplay that came out of the game and something the players came up with and not something that was planned by the developers, was it?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I think that any Goon Rescue Squadron should involve shooting up people's ships, then offering to rescue them.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Can I cruise with my arm hanging out the window like a cool guy in star ctizen ?

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Please hand over all belongings to your assigned rescue officer

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Photosyphilis posted:

I like how this thread teeters on the edge of "goldmine treasure" and "most gassable thread I've ever seen". I came in around 200 or 300 pages ago. Can someone direct me to some highlights?

http://www.endlessvideo.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM&start=17m07s&end=17m10s

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Darkpriest667 posted:

I sold my 87 Honda Civic for 300 dollars cash to my neighbor. That was 4 years ago. He still drives it every day.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Supposedly they already have fuel. Not sure what it does, but you get more of it at the supply station. Also I think you dramatically underestimate the ability of people to punish themselves with stupid gameplay like that.

That said I think we should make a rescue group and call it "Suicide is Painless".

Oh, I don't. I imagine no matter how dumb and even if 99% of calls will be bullshit (they will be), people will still suffer through it. I imagine the people who actually buy these ships would whine that it interrupted their RP and nobody had E-Honor and the developers do something about the evil evil griefers. This community is incredibly predictable that way and is the biggest example of 'No Fun Allowed™' I've seen while simultaneous wanting free form piracy and danger (as long as it doesn't happen to them. They are truly Space Republicans).

That being said it'd be hilarious to have it function like the early 1900s fire departments, where ambulances fought over who would rescue who for a fee and then if the guy couldn't pay, they would just steal his poo poo (or alternatively, watch it burn). Or even better, bring the person on board, jump to a system even farther away, and dump their helpless rear end out there unless they paid you a ransom. And then just leave them there when they paid it anyway. This is why I don't care if I am wrong and if it does come out, goons will cause the most hilarious misery because Star Shitzen has the worst community on the internet and it would be so glorious to reap the salt that would flow.

EDIT:
But lets be honest, this poo poo ain't ever coming out in the way that any of this will be remotely fun, nor are any of the systems actually in place to make this happen and people will probably just end up hitting a respawn button anyway

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 27, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Young Freud posted:

Let me guess, this was some emergent gameplay that came out of the game and something the players came up with and not something that was planned by the developers, was it?

Developers added the ability for ships to refuel each other, but I think the group itself is completely player created so yes.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Dapper Dan posted:

Star Shitzen has the worst community on the internet and it would be so glorious to reap the salt that would flow.

The carest of all bears.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

MeLKoR posted:

The carest of all bears.

Possibly the most delusional thing (and that is saying something) is that they think if this game comes out and is any good, we'll all just go away and sulk and pout like they do because we were proven wrong. I mean, with a community this bad, it would be so easy to exploit and there is nothing better than loving over some autistic nerd who bought thousands upon thousands of dollars of ships and thinks that makes him untouchable or something. The rage alone would be worth the price of admission.

Its like what goons did to Gold Mechs in MWO. Gold Mechs were rich people mechs that cost $500 and got you a unique module. What they would do is team-kill ANYONE who had a gold Mech. It was hilarious and if I recall correctly became a wide-spread practice. Why they think that goons would simply disappear into the night instead of just buying a cheap pack and loving them over in massive numbers is beyond me.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 27, 2015

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dapper Dan posted:

Its like what goons did to Gold Mechs in MWO. Gold Mechs were rich people mechs that cost $500 and got you a unique module. What they would do is team-kill ANYONE who had a gold Mech. It was hilarious and if I recall correctly became a wide-spread practice. Why they think that goons would simply disappear into the night instead of just buying a cheap pack and loving them over in massive numbers is beyond me.

It was funny.

But :pgi: banned people for it. :argh:

And I honestly couldn't tell anything special about the gold mechs. The first time I saw one I thought it was just some yellow paint scheme.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

D_Smart posted:

Last time I checked, they didn't have patch servers; and they were not using third-party CDN like Akamai, Edgecast etc. Outside of that, pushing 30GB (!) worth of data with each patch, leads to massive bandwidth costs. Ask any IT person to explain it.

LOD doesn't have two servers. It has two server clusters. Each cluster being made up of six servers. Each cluster serves as one cohesive "game server"

We don't have bandwidth costs for patches because our entire game is served via Steam, which, via SteamWorks (dev API), is actually a full blown patching system which you feed patch scripts and it intelligently does the rest for clients downloading it.
This is one of the things that I find interesting because I'm a boring human being. I wonder whether CIG's insistence on their own launcher/patcher is because they don't want to sacrifice the cut they'd have to give through the Steam store, or if there's some serious not-invented-here syndrome reigning.

Didn't you hear? Making average-to-decent annual franchise games is some Hague-level poo poo.

Scruffpuff posted:

You run around, and when you "get in" a ship, it's just superimposing your first-person toon into a larger first-person toon shell, and now you're "controlling" that ship, but really, technically, you ARE the ship. The flight-model is laughable, because it's just a tweaked first-person engine. Turn off gravity, make your forward speed a dynamic value and boom - you're "flying." So there's actually no flight model, or flight physics, because that isn't what the game was designed for.
Star Citizen: An advanced flight model on-par with the Strangelove mod for Unreal Tournament where you could ride around on-top of the remote-control nuke missiles.

Blazing Ownager posted:

That said, the soundtrack is absolutely great FPS music.
Thank you for introducing me to the Ghosts of Mars soundtrack. It presses all my happy buttons.

See? Good things DO come from this thread. Sometimes.

Dapper Dan posted:

:eng101: John Carpenter also wrote and preformed the Soundtrack to Ghosts of Mars
If you haven't listened to Carpenter's recent "Lost Themes" album, you probably should. It's cool as gently caress. Here's the first track, set to randomly chosen clips from his films.

Amarcarts posted:

I'm not sure how it works in CryEngine, but in the engines I've seen and used (mostly Source), it typically happens when the code tells the model to use an animation or state that doesn't exist, whether due to a typo or some other code bug. I'm sure some actual game developer can elaborate.

Dapper Dan posted:

Why they think that goons would simply disappear into the night instead of just buying a cheap pack and loving them over in massive numbers is beyond me.
Wishful thinking that this time, this time, things will be different and the Horrible Goon Horde won't show up and EVE all over their new sofa.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Toops posted:

Great, glad to see my tax dollars hard at work paying for retards to fund other retards to play in a poop-filled sandbox.

Just know that if homeboy is on disability hes getting maaaaybe 800$ ish per month but probably more like 600 or so to pay for everything, so he's spending almost 10% of his TOTAL INCOME on pixels :shepface:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

spacetoaster posted:

It was funny.

But :pgi: banned people for it. :argh:

What if you just blew off a leg and left them crippled at spawn?

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
I hate having fun in videogames!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dapper Dan posted:

Oh, I don't. I imagine no matter how dumb and even if 99% of calls will be bullshit (they will be), people will still suffer through it. I imagine the people who actually buy these ships would whine that it interrupted their RP and nobody had E-Honor and the developers do something about the evil evil griefers. This community is incredibly predictable that way and is the biggest example of 'No Fun Allowed™' I've seen while simultaneous wanting free form piracy and danger (as long as it doesn't happen to them. They are truly Space Republicans).

That being said it'd be hilarious to have it function like the early 1900s fire departments, where ambulances fought over who would rescue who for a fee and then if the guy couldn't pay, they would just steal his poo poo (or alternatively, watch it burn). Or even better, bring the person on board, jump to a system even farther away, and dump their helpless rear end out there unless they paid you a ransom. And then just leave them there when they paid it anyway. This is why I don't care if I am wrong and if it does come out, goons will cause the most hilarious misery because Star Shitzen has the worst community on the internet and it would be so glorious to reap the salt that would flow.

EDIT:
But lets be honest, this poo poo ain't ever coming out in the way that any of this will be remotely fun, nor are any of the systems actually in place to make this happen and people will probably just end up hitting a respawn button anyway

At this point I am expecting a shallow, moderately entertaining single player game that scratches the space sim itch when it's not shoving a contrived, generic story and overbearing cut scenes in your face. I see little reason to believe that SC itself will function as promised, particularly the MMO part.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Gwaihir posted:

Just know that if homeboy is on disability hes getting maaaaybe 800$ ish per month but probably more like 600 or so to pay for everything, so he's spending almost 10% of his TOTAL INCOME on pixels :shepface:

Like a tithe then? notacult.jpg

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Renegret posted:

What if you just blew off a leg and left them crippled at spawn?

Considering that by "harming" whales you are endangering their revenue stream, what do you think?

I wonder what lengths CIG is willing to go through to protect their whales from "griefing"?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Suddenly I find myself supporting the Japanese and their whaling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
It's funny, to me, that backers think they're throwing money on a space sim rather than a pvp mmo.

• Locked thread