Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey, so our server runs Railcraft. I know that by default, that mods sets it so that all carts can't be stacked higher than 3 in inventories and chests. I changed the config option to set the stack size to 64, and now all the Railcraft carts stack to 64, but not the standard vanilla ones. Does anyone know why that is? Did I miss a config option somewhere?

I think railcraft changes the cart crafting recipe so instead of it coming out as the vanilla ID cart, it comes out as the railcraft ID cart. So trash the vanilla ones and spawn in railcraft ones, unless I'm missing something and we aren't talking about the carts made with 5 iron ingots.

Ambaire posted:

In fact, it heals them.

Fill the vicinity with lava I guess? or use something that does pure damage or magic damage.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Meant to edit post, not make new post.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Disasterpiece Theater is a good server and you should be there.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Anias posted:

I'm introducing some kids to modded minecraft via BFSR. It's great. My one "Wait where is this obvious mod" is ender io for better pipes.

Ender IO is low on the list of things to try, but it's on the list. I'm stuck in a ditch trying to do the tutorial dimension exactly the way I want right now. I might have to give up. More details to follow.

You'll probably get some pedantic rage over EnderIO having better pipes though. EnderIO's pipe code is basically TE's code before the pipe code was put in Thermal Foundation. KingLemming had given the EnderIO people the code for doing pipes from TE from back before those updates. I think it's just about stayed the same since. You can argue that EnderIO pipes are great for allowing multiple types of pipes in the same block, but somebody might nerd rage over calling them "better."

I say this because IIRC the nerd rage happened in this thread awhile ago already.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Having the pipes be configurable in a same block with nicer graphics for at-a-glance identification is all I meant.

I mostly play minecraft for fun, the nerds can argue about what's best and if they come to a consensus I'll happily use it =p All my min-max tendancies are engaged in other games.

Your pack is great though, and much appreciated by my nephews.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I was more inclined to throw in EnderIO for the alternate machines, but I have not completely tried all the toys in that particular mod yet. So I'd have to catch up on it before making a quest progression for it. IIRC the base furnace is pretty drat good though.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

SugarAddict posted:

I think railcraft changes the cart crafting recipe so instead of it coming out as the vanilla ID cart, it comes out as the railcraft ID cart. So trash the vanilla ones and spawn in railcraft ones, unless I'm missing something and we aren't talking about the carts made with 5 iron ingots.

Actually, as far as I know, the railcraft mod only allows you to make the vanilla itemID with alternate recipes that use either steel or copper. I don't have a Railcraft-only standard minecart, just the normal vanilla ones.

Apart from that, I've got another bug question. I've got a program that I run through computercraft that calls upon an api for making buttons on a screen. The programs work perfectly fine if I reboot the computer, but if I have the program running, unload the chunk, then come back to it, it freezes until the computer's rebooted again. Does anyone have any idea what causes that, or do I need to have a chunk loader included with this?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

neogeo0823 posted:

Actually, as far as I know, the railcraft mod only allows you to make the vanilla itemID with alternate recipes that use either steel or copper. I don't have a Railcraft-only standard minecart, just the normal vanilla ones.

Apart from that, I've got another bug question. I've got a program that I run through computercraft that calls upon an api for making buttons on a screen. The programs work perfectly fine if I reboot the computer, but if I have the program running, unload the chunk, then come back to it, it freezes until the computer's rebooted again. Does anyone have any idea what causes that, or do I need to have a chunk loader included with this?

AFAIK you need a chunk loader. I distinctly remember all the little programs I wrote going to hell when I walked away from them. IIRC it will launch startup in the root by default when the chunk is reloaded. So you can have it start your script up in there. For maximum robustness, you'd want to make the script something like a loop whose state is saved early and often, and it just works off of that state. So that way, it can resume in the middle of some complex calculation without much harm. I did not try it too much, but if you can run your stuff as coroutines, and just raw serialize all that state to disk, you'll probably be safe without having to really declare special data structures.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

AFAIK you need a chunk loader. I distinctly remember all the little programs I wrote going to hell when I walked away from them. IIRC it will launch startup in the root by default when the chunk is reloaded. So you can have it start your script up in there. For maximum robustness, you'd want to make the script something like a loop whose state is saved early and often, and it just works off of that state. So that way, it can resume in the middle of some complex calculation without much harm. I did not try it too much, but if you can run your stuff as coroutines, and just raw serialize all that state to disk, you'll probably be safe without having to really declare special data structures.

Pretty much the exact thinking that EZ-Nuke takes.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Not so much a modded question I suppose, but I started AS2, and oh my god how do I stop these stupid oak trees from turning into sprawling monstrosities that take forever to punch. :mad:

(ed)

I haven't been keeping up, didn't Thermal Dynamics come out and take over for piping?

Ender IO stops the stupid rush for 5x ore Also all their pipes can be in the same blocks including ME cable, liquid, power and items

and the wireless charger is a must have

TheresaJayne fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Dec 27, 2015

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

With my More Power Server I had a I think it was Computercraft Computer controlling a screen with buttons for dialing the stargate (I did it like SGC - a military base) I had to have it boot into the program on start and still had a problem where it would crash and freeze up, I think I sorted it out by having a mini timer that triggered once after the chunk loading that would force a reset.

To be honest I cannot remember how i did that though.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

no idea, but use hoppers or item loaders or thermal dynamics itemducts to attach additional storage

none of us really use railcraft anymore, mod is bad

It's especially annoying in Regrowth because it gates so many things. I had to learn engines from the beginning and only now have I set up a steam boiler running off coal to get me some decent RF through commercial steam engines. Nevermind the fact I have to keep using it for steel and titanium because the blast furnace will only run off coke.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

It's especially annoying in Regrowth because it gates so many things. I had to learn engines from the beginning and only now have I set up a steam boiler running off coal to get me some decent RF through commercial steam engines. Nevermind the fact I have to keep using it for steel and titanium because the blast furnace will only run off coke.

i am really annoyed at regrowth can''t work out how to get any sort of ore/metal

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

TheresaJayne posted:

i am really annoyed at regrowth can''t work out how to get any sort of ore/metal

do the HQM quests, they're required to get metal seeds

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

TheresaJayne posted:

All seeds are obtained from Botania. You'll need essence seeds as a base and lots of essences but from there it's just a question of grinding it out.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Hmm, yeah, the script that I'm having issues with is pretty much an API to get a touchscreen effect, then another script that actually runs on startup that has a ton of functions and the only continuously looping bit of code being
code:
while true do
  getClick()
end
It was odd that it stated freezing when I implemented it into actual use, since it worked fine at my testing area. Maybe it's because the actual use area is the spawn town.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Demiurge4 posted:

The blast furnace can run off charcoal pieces just fine (not blocks, though). It's not hard at all to make an iron->steel production chain using just hoppers.

I feel like the steam engines are the best thing Railcraft has to offer to the game. The hobbyist engine is very easy to use and makes a good power source for everything up until you're looking at BC Assembly Tables. The boilers required for the stronger engines are also fairly easy to set up and offer a good amount of flexibility in terms of how much power you actually want to make.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

This by the way was the main thing OpenComputers was built to fix.

quote:

Persistence
When OpenComputers leave the loaded Chunk area, they will be put on hold, but automatically resume at the exact point they were stopped once the Chunk is reloaded later. This makes OpenComputers very intuitive to use in the Minecraft environment, as you do not have to worry about chunk loading or resuming and do not need to add chunk loaders from other mods just to keep those computers running.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

EnderIO's pipe code is basically TE's code before the pipe code was put in Thermal Foundation. KingLemming had given the EnderIO people the code for doing pipes from TE from back before those updates. I think it's just about stayed the same since.

This is not the case. KL continually accused EIO devs of decompiling and stealing his code, because in his view, no one else can write efficient and robust code for this kind of use-case besides him. All of the devs who worked on EIO (there are several) have just repeatedly said "uhh, no", because both systems are based on a very common and well known routing algorithm that was invented in the 50's and is used all over software development.

Drama aside, they're both good. TD ducts are more based on aesthetics and simple design, while EIO's are made to be as compact and robust as possible, any kind of realistic plausibility be damned. It's very nice to have both in a modpack. There's a lot of overlap, of course, but they both have their own unique strengths. The development of EIO stuff has been ongoing, though. TD has been pretty much unchanged since it's 1.7 release.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Mr. Peepers posted:

The blast furnace can run off charcoal pieces just fine (not blocks, though). It's not hard at all to make an iron->steel production chain using just hoppers.

I feel like the steam engines are the best thing Railcraft has to offer to the game. The hobbyist engine is very easy to use and makes a good power source for everything up until you're looking at BC Assembly Tables. The boilers required for the stronger engines are also fairly easy to set up and offer a good amount of flexibility in terms of how much power you actually want to make.

Yeah charcoal or coke. Not regular coal, that would be unbalanced. I don't have a tree farm though.

I'll just make another coke furnace I suppose but I find the creation of burnt bricks to be an annoyingly obtuse process.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

I think you can skip a lot of that noise with the Infernal Blast Furnace from Thaumcraft (Witchery Gadgets I think? It's been a while)

It's like the infernal furnace but it's a blast furnace instead, and I'm pretty sure it can make steel (iirc it's listed in NEI as being able to make steel, at least)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

steel gets a little easier to make with a mekanism stack in regrowth, but you still need wrought iron

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My lava generators from extra utilities seem to be eating up lava even if they're at capacity, both for stored power and stored lava. Has anyone else noticed that?

(edit) Wait, might just be lava still filling up the hardened fluiducts. Nevermind~

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 28, 2015

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Ambaire posted:

Been playing the latest iteration of Ompi for a few days, and while it's quite fun with all the new mods, any mob wearing anything more than iron armor is completely invincible except to Ticon rapiers. Any idea which mod in this list is causing this behavior? I made a Lumium crossbow a few minutes ago, 13 heart attack with Manyullyn bolts, and it does not damage Crimson cult knights at all. In fact, it heals them. Nor zombies wearing osmium or glowstone armor. They're also immune to my 10 heart cleaver.

Edit: Also, NEI item subsets are all greyed out and unclickable. NEI works fine, and I tried reinstalling the pack but did not help. Everyone on the server seems to be having this problem.

Mekanism spawns vanilla mobs with armor. Cultists are not vanilla, they are thaumcraft mobs and default armored.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Taffer posted:

This is not the case. KL continually accused EIO devs of decompiling and stealing his code, because in his view, no one else can write efficient and robust code for this kind of use-case besides him. All of the devs who worked on EIO (there are several) have just repeatedly said "uhh, no", because both systems are based on a very common and well known routing algorithm that was invented in the 50's and is used all over software development.

I though I read right in the thread here that KingLemming gave them the code, and he has no problems with it, just with people claiming that it is somehow better, since he does take pride in updating it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I thought I saw KL say he knows they didn't steal it, and didn't give them the code either, just that it's essentially the same code because it has to be done that way?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Is there anything that will let a Corporea Network interact with an ME Network? The Corporea Index is really cool and I want to use it in lieu of a terminal purely for the cool factor, but a corporea spark on an ME Interface is a no go.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
Someone was asking about an interesting HQM mod pack

Banished on the FTB launcher looks way complex for a HQM mod

(hint lycanite mobs installed)

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004
oh :gonk:

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I though I read right in the thread here that KingLemming gave them the code, and he has no problems with it, just with people claiming that it is somehow better, since he does take pride in updating it.

It appears Taffer has a bone to pick with KingLemming over EnderIO. Turns out the exchange you're talking about was prompted from Taffer claiming that EIO was faster/less buggy in the previous thread, and KingLemming responded in the previous thread.

No mention of him giving them the code, but an acknowledgement that there really is only one good way to skin that cat.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the mod drama is coming from inside the thread!!!

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah charcoal or coke. Not regular coal, that would be unbalanced. I don't have a tree farm though.

I'll just make another coke furnace I suppose but I find the creation of burnt bricks to be an annoyingly obtuse process.

If you make a lumber axe with the auto-smelting upgrade and fortune, it will solve your charcoal problems. A single jungle tree will drop 6-8 stacks.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

TheresaJayne posted:

Interesting until you realize you're grinding enemies for unlocks. And the base mechanic of mining is still present and terrible. And there's a couple mobs that are absolutely stupid, like one that can pass through walls or ones that spawn when you mine a block.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I'm trying to use / commands in the chat in FTB Departed, single player. One of the tips that pops up on load gave a command for setting my inventory keeping on death. But I can't seem to get that command to work, although I can get the default /xp command to work.

I feel like I'm missing something, and the answers I've found with google have not worked so far:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

BrightGreenLine posted:

It appears Taffer has a bone to pick with KingLemming over EnderIO. Turns out the exchange you're talking about was prompted from Taffer claiming that EIO was faster/less buggy in the previous thread, and KingLemming responded in the previous thread.

No mention of him giving them the code, but an acknowledgement that there really is only one good way to skin that cat.

You should see some of his rants he's gone off on while playing on his server, you'd think KL did something to him personally.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Question: I'm trying to mass-produce the alternate stone types in Botania (forest stone, swamp stone, etc). I've got an igneous extruder emitting infinite stone to a Minefactory Reloaded block placer, autoplacing it next to a marimorphosa, which turns it into a special stone type. So far so good. The issue is harvesting said block. Using a MFR block breaker turns the block into, say, forest cobblestone instead of just forest stone. Sure I could pump that forest cobble into a furnace to smelt it into forest stone before storing it, but based on my setup it's a little less clean and awkward.

Do you guys know any one-block block breaker type of thing that mines using silk touch?

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Magmarashi posted:

You should see some of his rants he's gone off on while playing on his server, you'd think KL did something to him personally.

If he hasn't yet, maybe he should. I tried to care about what Taffer had to say on the subject of Minecraft, but most of it is so wrong-headed I can't even.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
You could use an rftools builder block with a silk touch quarry card. You could even hide it, just get the coords/offset right

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Mzbundifund posted:

Question: I'm trying to mass-produce the alternate stone types in Botania (forest stone, swamp stone, etc). I've got an igneous extruder emitting infinite stone to a Minefactory Reloaded block placer, autoplacing it next to a marimorphosa, which turns it into a special stone type. So far so good. The issue is harvesting said block. Using a MFR block breaker turns the block into, say, forest cobblestone instead of just forest stone. Sure I could pump that forest cobble into a furnace to smelt it into forest stone before storing it, but based on my setup it's a little less clean and awkward.

Do you guys know any one-block block breaker type of thing that mines using silk touch?

Use an array of redstone mana spreaders with the weight lens. Mine out the floor around the blocks you're transforming. Put torches on the floor directly underneath. When a weight lens hits a block, it causes it to drop like sand. When this block hits the torch, it will drop as an item.

Huh, apparently this doesn't work, I'm getting metamorphic cobblestone too. It works great for regular stone!

e2: you can smelt metamorphic cobblestone into metamorphic stone, just do that

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 28, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Mzbundifund posted:

Autonomous Activator with a silk touch pick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

TheresaJayne posted:

It gets significantly easier once you realize how to get ender creepers to stop blowing up all your poo poo by using utility mobs and some spells and some mob spawn inhibitors, but the author hasn't worked on it for quite a while and feels like it's abandoned. It also feels like it needs some other players otherwise the grind gets boring and lonely. Most of the quests however are pretty good because it's just handing out fucktons of expensive stuff that you need, in the thaumcraft questline it gives you a node stablizer/transducer for making a wand focus manipulator which is significantly cheaper, which is really nice.

However, going anywhere near a dungeon that you've created or an area with lots of spawns is just asking for a thief mob to knock your armor off and steal your weapon, or a hungry mob to eat your expensive items.

Thankfully you can build things to offset the danger like the thaumcraft quarry to just quarry dungeons and their spawners without most hazards. I also think you can use entropyums to eat creeper explosions so your chests can't get blown up.

The one problem however, is when the game decides to spawn poo poo whereever, and destroys blocks to make room (RIP infusion alter).

OMP Sigma is significantly less painful (and harder in a way) due to the lack of thief mobs, blood moon, and things that walk through walls.