Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Xaerael posted:

Is it just me being totally clueless about game engines, or am I right in thinking that the whole reason the game freaks out all the time is because at heart it's an FPS engine being strong armed into not being an FPS engine? And that's why ships just act like an FPS with /fly on?

I know we go over the whole "cryengine is a horrible choice!" thing all the time, but we never really discuss why, other than cryengine is garbage to start with.

I dunno, the game is still pre-alpha so I wanna give it some benefit of the doubt but mostly you are correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

"If you pick on me, I will be sad and also spend enormous amounts of money"

-a man who completely understands human nature and the motivations of griefers

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Let's pretend I walk into a park with a baseball and glove. A little kid walks into the same park, sits on a bench, and starts to watch me toss the ball into the air and catch it.

Each time I toss the ball, I toss it a bit higher. This goes on for a while - each time I toss the ball in the air, I toss it higher, it goes farther, and takes farther to come back down.

In that child's mind, a thought forms around the patterns he is observing: since I toss the ball higher each time, eventually I will be able to toss the ball clear into space. It's just a matter of the child continuing to watch patiently as I continue the pattern I have been following so far.

From my perspective, this is preposterous. Of course there is a limit to how high I can throw the ball, for dozens of different physical reasons like my own personal strength, wind resistance, gravity, mass, etc. that are beyond a child's mind.

This is the state of Star Citizen's Alpha. People who don't know any better physically see things on their monitor, and in their minds, they think "Progress. Each time I log in, it gets a little farther. This game is coming out and it's going to be awesome."

Those of us who are not emotionally connected to the project, and who have been around the block a few times, log in and think "Yeah, they might squeeze a bit more client stability from this, but that's about as far as they're getting unless they make some major foundation changes. There's no way this Alpha will become the game they are pitching. They need to start over and do it right."

I know people call it a cult due to the behavior of its citizens, but I think at this point it's fair to simply call it a religion. They decide what they want to believe, and then work backwards from conclusion to cause, picking the observations that support their desired conclusion, while ignoring the evidence that doesn't.

Next time I see "Religion" on a form (perhaps at a mental hospital), I'm going to put in "Star Citizen." I encourage everyone to do the same. Once we're big enough, we stage a galactic war with Scientology.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Posts like this are why I still want Star Citizen to be a thing.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Posts like this are why I still want Star Citizen to be a thing.

Same.

It's a huge shame that it will almost definitely not become a thing :(

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Still not worth paying hundreds of dollars for... maybe 30 bucks tops.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I saw this same cult like behavior in DayZ. I commented on a reddit thread about DayZ a year ago on how the sound effects (of all things) sounded off. I got downvoted like 200 times and got yelled at by multiple people for having a stupid complaint (it wasn't a complaint, it was an observation). Notably, one guy who wouldn't stop ranting at me, trying to get more redditors to downvote me for my supposed idiocy was a guy named Rocket2Guns. It took me a while to realize that this was the actual developer of DayZ throwing a hissy fit because I made a minor criticism. Fast forward a year later, Rocket2Guns no longers works on DayZ, the game is still in alpha, with zombies completely removed from the game, and with a shitload of bugs and terrible gameplay mechanics. Thank god I never bought the game because of how lovely the dev was.

And the funny thing is that Chris Roberts reacted the exact same way when that paper published its damning article of Star Citizen. He had to write his 8 hour blog because he knew they were speaking the truth, and he just wanted to charade to go longer, at least in his head. Fortunately for him, it's whaling season and the biggest whales are out at sea (Moby Dickwulf).

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Xaerael posted:

Still better than crobert's magnum opus.

don't forget lax 2194, a pilot for a show about baggage handlers in the far future.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Scruffpuff posted:

Let's pretend I walk into a park with a baseball and glove. A little kid walks into the same park, sits on a bench, and starts to watch me toss the ball into the air and catch it.

Each time I toss the ball, I toss it a bit higher. This goes on for a while - each time I toss the ball in the air, I toss it higher, it goes farther, and takes farther to come back down.

In that child's mind, a thought forms around the patterns he is observing: since I toss the ball higher each time, eventually I will be able to toss the ball clear into space. It's just a matter of the child continuing to watch patiently as I continue the pattern I have been following so far.

From my perspective, this is preposterous. Of course there is a limit to how high I can throw the ball, for dozens of different physical reasons like my own personal strength, wind resistance, gravity, mass, etc. that are beyond a child's mind.

This is the state of Star Citizen's Alpha. People who don't know any better physically see things on their monitor, and in their minds, they think "Progress. Each time I log in, it gets a little farther. This game is coming out and it's going to be awesome."

Those of us who are not emotionally connected to the project, and who have been around the block a few times, log in and think "Yeah, they might squeeze a bit more client stability from this, but that's about as far as they're getting unless they make some major foundation changes. There's no way this Alpha will become the game they are pitching. They need to start over and do it right."

I know people call it a cult due to the behavior of its citizens, but I think at this point it's fair to simply call it a religion. They decide what they want to believe, and then work backwards from conclusion to cause, picking the observations that support their desired conclusion, while ignoring the evidence that doesn't.

Next time I see "Religion" on a form (perhaps at a mental hospital), I'm going to put in "Star Citizen." I encourage everyone to do the same. Once we're big enough, we stage a galactic war with Scientology.

Imagine four baseballs on the side of a park. Star Citizen works the same way.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

hakimashou posted:

What to do in the P.T.U. ?
  • Go to an airlock, open it. Stand inside so that you can see out the door you came in, and also have the Press Use prompt up. wait for someone to run toward the airlock, close it in his face.
  • Follow the signs to either landing pad 9 or 10. Wait a few seconds for one of the $200+ giant ships to spawn. Get under it, wait until the guy opens the little elevator, get in the elevator with him. Hold down shift, mash through the doors before they open, run straight to the captain's chair, which is the middle of the 3 chairs in the front. Once the animation starts, its yous. Locked in, nothing he can do about it. Tell him to get off your plane, then either smash it into the station or into one of the other ships.
  • Alternatively, walk off the edge of the launch pad, this will cause your guy to go into "EVA" mode where you turn using the mouse and hold down F to thrust forward. It's got reasonably decent physics. Navigate to the top of the cockpit section on the big huge ships, mash against the glass and when the prompt appears, press F. This will let you get directly into the captain's chair from outside the ship, long before the original owner is able to get through all the elevator animations.
  • Many ships that look like fighter planes dont actually have you get in like a figter plane. They often have a door in the back or the side that owner has to open, then walk to the captain's chair from. If you run, you can usually get there first, then its your ship.
  • If you have access to a ship, walk down stairs to one of the computers, press F on it, spawn your ship, go out to the launch pad. Get in, press "v" to activate go fast mode, spend 20 seconds flying 2-3km from the station, turn around, take aim at another ship on the pad, fly into it.
  • Get your ship or someone else's, press B and look around until you find "Security Station" or "Covalex Shipping," press J and warp there. Destroy any player ships parked anywhere, this will strand people there. Press B again and fly back to "Port Olisar," crash into someone on the launch pad.
  • Get your ship or someone eles's, wedge it under one of the big autism chariots on the pad, press Right alt+backspace to set the self destruct timer. When it goes off, it will blow their ship off the pad and maybe crash some clients.
  • Get your ship or someone else's, see if one of the big huge ships is just hovering there. If it is, approach it slowly and snugly fit the nose or side of your ship up against the big engines in the back. Start thrusting into it. You can make it spin!

If anyone else has tips on what to do in Chris Roberts 103 million dollar masterpiece, lets hear em.

The ultimate griefers guide. Bookmarked!!

You're doing God's work my friend.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Star Citizen: I don't want to be molested

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Friendly Tumour posted:

whats the latest on the lawsuit

Two weeks.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

D_Smart posted:

Two weeks.

lol

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
How fuel is going to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXwybQaAbbs&t=1341s

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Different grades of fuel.
Birds.
Procedurally-generated hand-crafted content.

Star Citizen.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

He's pretty good at making this poo poo up as he goes.

"Will there be different grades of fuel?"

"Yeah, of course there will be, give me money"

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Xaerael posted:

Is it just me being totally clueless about game engines, or am I right in thinking that the whole reason the game freaks out all the time is because at heart it's an FPS engine being strong armed into not being an FPS engine? And that's why ships just act like an FPS with /fly on?

Yes.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Space toilets that have left hand flush?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I mean... the extent of my game making knowledge is I made a really basic Half-Life map when Half-Life was a new game. With that meager claim to fame under my belt. even I can see that the engine is just utterly unsuited to the task it's being asked to do.

How the hell are people still being suckered into paying for this? Am I some sort of genius Sherlock Holmes level detective that can spot the flaws in a plan without any grasp of even the fundamentals, or are the "fans" really so stupid that they truly think that CIG can turn lead into gold?

I'm having one of those serious days. Urgh.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Xaerael posted:

I mean... the extent of my game making knowledge is I made a really basic Half-Life map when Half-Life was a new game. With that meager claim to fame under my belt. even I can see that the engine is just utterly unsuited to the task it's being asked to do.

How the hell are people still being suckered into paying for this? Am I some sort of genius Sherlock Holmes level detective that can spot the flaws in a plan without any grasp of even the fundamentals, or are the "fans" really so stupid that they truly think that CIG can turn lead into gold?

some people just want to see a dumpster fire burn

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Get Betty Big Tits a okcupid profile and hit karl Gryphon up.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Ratmtattat posted:

He's pretty good at making this poo poo up as he goes.

"Will there be different grades of fuel?"

"Yeah, of course there will be, give me money"

He said he is in the middle of working on it, and that was a year ago, so surely it is finished by now.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Xaerael posted:

That's all well and good, but F'v=(F1+F2-t/n F1 F2)/(1-t/n F1)

Yeah, Spergs won't understand that expansion. Try this: F'v = F1+(F2 - t/n) + (F1, F2)/((1-t/n), F1)

They're batshit insane enough to actually try and prove that.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Stanko-Prussian posted:

Not a game dev, but the T-pose is how the model is modeled and if it snaps back to that it means the entire animation skeleton has completely hosed up and failed/stopped being attached/unloaded/whatever and the player model is basically now just a static prop.

Yes, that's correct. It means the animation update has crapped out. And T is the default pose.

ps: note that still no word on the fate of the Star Marine module. But no, it's not canceled. At all. This despite the fact that 2.x is still using the same lovely base anims from AC/Hangar/social modules. None of the mocap poo poo Spergs spent millions on, is in.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Xaerael posted:

No. You're that other guy who can spot bullshit, in whatever form, a mile away. That guy who just deletes emails promising riches beyond your wildest hard-on. That guy who doesn't need any specifics in order to deduce that if it looks and sounds like bullshit, odds are, it's probably bullshit.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Anytime someone posts a screenshot of the cig forums or reddit I feel just like Mugatu in Zoolander.

"I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!"

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Xaerael posted:

The fans are so entrenched that CR could announce that they are changing engines and release won't happen until 2020 and they would applaud it as good management. It's a combination of sunk cost fallacy, an epic level of delusion, and a cult-like community that is more focused on what they're going to do with their virtual starships than when (or if) they will ever get them.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Xaerael posted:

It's like watching the wire and seeing Bubbles' new zany plan to make money to buy drugs.

agree, though given citizens I think a slightly different Bubbles is more appropriate.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Not sure if this was posted before. But

Second comment; right off the bat:

quote:

This could happen with Star Citizen as well because Chris his brother and his Accountant/lawyer sold all their shares to the company,therefore in reality took a ton of money out of the business and put it into their pockets.Imo if not for the way over the top cash shop sales of ships,they would have been in the same situation lacking funds.Well it is already obvious when they shut down one or two operations they were taking too much money out of the business.Then of late they claim they cannot meet anymore refunds because they claim there is no money.

FatherChristmas
Nov 9, 2012

'Tis the season

Karl, fucketh thyself.

HookedOnChthonics posted:

agree, though given citizens I think a slightly different Bubbles is more appropriate.

The hilarious thing is I'm pretty sure that character is having more fun with that 100$ rocket then all of the Shitizens are in their janky off-broadway space opera built by spergs.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.
Has anyone commented on the /r/starcitizen community's love of lovely model previews. T3ller's videos are heinous, like who would think extract untextured/unskinned 3D models and make multi-minute videos ogling them is a good idea? poo poo looks like poo poo. Comparing the reliant variants WITHOUT any texturing/skinning is idiotic, BECAUSE THAT IS THE ONLY THING THAT REALLY SETS THEM APART.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

D_Smart posted:

Immediately attacked and insulted by a Star Citizen who taught himself physics and finance.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Will Star Citizen let me refuckulate the carbonator?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

D_Smart posted:

I saw that, wasn't sure if it was true or just conjecture.

If it's true then there's not a lol big enough tbh.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

D_Smart posted:

right under that comment

Isn't CIG not a publicly traded company? I thought the entire point of the kickstarter and :airquote: crowdfunding :airquote: was that investors and selling shares wouldn't be necessary. If Chris and them took their money out by "selling shares" there's nowhere CIG can make that money back because there are no shares to sell, but what do I know, I'm just a silly goon.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
thinking of buying the endeavor landing bay for $89.25 please advice

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

thinking of buying the endeavor landing bay for $89.25 please advice

It's a fantastic investment. Better than bitcoin. Buy 2.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

fuctifino posted:

It's a fantastic investment. Better than bitcoin. Buy 2.

lol what would i do with two

same thing as with one i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

lol what would i do with two

same thing as with one i guess

You get double the dream power.

• Locked thread