Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Quarter mil are you mental? I saw a lovely little church that had been converted into two maisonette's, each going for £125,000 freehold a month ago and thought to myself, "after Christmas". Stupidest loving thing I've ever done. Naturally they both sold within a week.

If it was some sort of victorian stone church, you dodged a bullet: the maintenance costs would've been hideous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Was taking the piss a bit there although legally correct, it's councils that get fined, (council deadline put in place by labour was 2010, extended to jan 1st 2016 if your council is shite and banked on the law not being enforced, pro tip, the tories are enforcing it) that one landlord that owns most of whatever town you live in will not give one gently caress. Your only option is to report your dodgy landlord to the council if you already have your reference for the next place and are moving out of area and wish to gently caress them over.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

If it was some sort of victorian stone church, you dodged a bullet: the maintenance costs would've been hideous.

I've been consoling myself with the fact that at least I don't have to worry about some git trying to nick the lighting rods off the side of my property at 02:00 now.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Except I now can't be uber middle class and boast about my lightning rods during 'who grew the prized squash' competition at the local conservative summer garden party.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I think they are more interested in the debate over "electric gates, convenient or crass?"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
All I want is a little house on the side of a hill, or maybe on a heath, with some acres of largely useless land. Then I can withdraw from society until I am ready to reveal my masterpiece/kill myself.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

learnincurve posted:

I think they are more interested in the debate over "electric gates, convenient or crass?"

I have nice double wooden estate gates up onto my drive on my house in Scotland, but electric gates on the house in England and frankly the electric gates are a pain to maintain and slow, and the remotes have no range, but it's the colour and accessory choice of your Range Rover that defines crassness not the gates. You troglodyte.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

No gates. Stone walls and an open entrance with a little elderly and slightly drunk man in a booth armed with a blunderbuss who potters out of the booth and shouts, "Who goes there!?" whenever the posty turns up.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Mot tomorrow, pray for my brake pads pls

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

No gates. Stone walls and an open entrance with a little elderly and slightly drunk man in a booth armed with a blunderbuss who potters out of the booth and shouts, "Who goes there!?" whenever the posty turns up.

Good plan noone ever, ever delivers here. I think the first week living here a courier threw something over the wall. Since then, only cards in the mailbox, even though theres almost always someone home. People see gates/intercoms and just say 'screw this' and bung a card in the mail slot.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Personal gates or gated community?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Gated communities are for the squawking middle classes.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol if you don't live in a renovated flat, in a trendily-rough area that you coolly downplay as being 'not that bad' to your shrieking idiot gibbon friends

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

stop describing my bachelors pad in stokes croft, thx

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Indeed, please do not dox me

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Talking of buying property I'm debating buying my flat now that I'm elligible for right to buy, I'm still not sure whether I want to buy the studio I currently have or to try and get a 2 bedroom once the girlfriend moves down when she's finished uni and buy that.

buteruc
Feb 12, 2009

I wonder if my basement is flooded.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Gaz2k21 posted:

Talking of buying property I'm debating buying my flat now that I'm elligible for right to buy, I'm still not sure whether I want to buy the studio I currently have or to try and get a 2 bedroom once the girlfriend moves down when she's finished uni and buy that.

2 bedroom.

Don't buy a studio unless you're prepared to live there for the next 5 years. And I can't even begin to imagine SHARING a studio flat with someone else.

Actually, I can and it'd be HORRIBLE.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Man I sleep terribly over the holidays, rolled around grumpily from 1-5. Probably should have gone and found a prostitute

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Ratjaculation posted:

Man I sleep terribly over the holidays, rolled around grumpily from 1-5. Probably should have gone and found a prostitute

classic ketchup withdrawal

the dog slept through the night, thrashing is clearly effective

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Ratjaculation posted:

you're not drinking enough

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

lol if you don't live in a renovated flat, in a trendily-rough area that you coolly downplay as being 'not that bad' to your shrieking idiot gibbon friends

Hey you oval office, it's a Victorian town house not a flat and the area is getting better according to my wife

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Does it back on to Brockwell park by any chance?

I lived there 16 years ago and nearly got hit with a nail bomb while buying milk - nails hit my backpack instead.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Dec 28, 2015

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
First gym session since the Christmas food fest

Might go to the dog rough Salford boozer near my flat for the Utd Chelsea game tonight.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ratjaculation posted:

Tablets are cool though, enjoy it. What type have you got because Awful app for iOS is really good but I've not used the Google version?
its my sister in laws old slow galaxy tab 3

like my phone is faster but the screen on the tab is bigger i guess

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

britishbornandbread posted:

First gym session since the Christmas food fest

Might go to the dog rough Salford boozer near my flat for the Utd Chelsea game tonight.

i got a few sessions at a gym near my mum's over christmas, it's the kind that is full of fat powerlifter men and very muscly women. as a normal looking dude i feel a little out of place

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I thrashed around aimlessly all night trying to sleep but it was way too hot

I think this is the standard "parents' house" experience

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My bedroom got redecorated the second I moved out at 17, new mattress and bedding is now higher quality and as a result much warmer.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Mine is now a homely purple and pink with artificial flowers and a new wardrobe.

Gone are the Leeds United blue and gold paint with punk rock posters all over the walls and dirty clothes strewn everywhere.

...well, been here a week now, dirty clothes are back!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I thrashed around aimlessly all night trying to sleep but it was way too hot

I think this is the standard "parents' house" experience

I always thought your style was thrashing with purpose

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Lady Gaza posted:

i got a few sessions at a gym near my mum's over christmas, it's the kind that is full of fat powerlifter men and very muscly women. as a normal looking dude i feel a little out of place
just clear some floor space and get prison fit with pushups, situps and pull ups etc then go for a jog

it is my dream one day to have enough floor space clear to be able to dance like my (guitar) hero the big taff man

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

car failed MOT due to tyres, pain in the rear end

trying to my taxes online, this is a nightmare

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

just clear some floor space and get prison fit with pushups, situps and pull ups etc then go for a jog

it is my dream one day to have enough floor space clear to be able to dance like my (guitar) hero the big taff man

Nah I'm already into weight lifting but look positively skinny compared to these people. I'm sure they are on steroids

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I'm freeee

well I'm on a train but in three hours I will be home

death to Christmas for another year

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lady Gaza posted:

Nah I'm already into weight lifting but look positively skinny compared to these people. I'm sure they are on steroids

Probably. Steroids and protein supplements.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Gaz2k21 posted:

(For me) It would depend on the rental demand and price.

If I could reliably get a renter, and the market rate would cover the mortgage repayments. Buy it, live in it until it doesn't meet your needs, then rent it out and go rent somewhere else with the girlfriend until you can buy a larger place. Either by selling the studio, or buying a second property.

And depending on interest rates, rises in property value, it may even be wise to overpay the mortgage when possible instead of putting the money in your ISA/Savings/Pension.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

fair enough i guess. p sure jakabite was protesting about this the other day

there is that

but it's so desolate

I did recently move from Vodafone and was a) unable to retrieve my PAC and b) for quite a while unable to pay my bill, which they kept hassling me for, because I no longer had an account with them apparently. Had to spend a long time on the phone explaining that if I didn't have an account with them, there'd be nowhere to put the bill. gently caress Vodafone.

In other news I bought a PS4 after months and months of umming and ahhing. PSN is Mrs_macs_lung if anyone wants to play some vidya. I only have MGSV at the moment though and don't intend to change that within the next week or so because it's a serious amount of fun.

E: a child on the train just smacked his mam and called her a retard. boro.txt

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Did she smack him back? Have you lent her your rubber hose?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Jakabite posted:

I did recently move from Vodafone and was a) unable to retrieve my PAC and b) for quite a while unable to pay my bill, which they kept hassling me for, because I no longer had an account with them apparently. Had to spend a long time on the phone explaining that if I didn't have an account with them, there'd be nowhere to put the bill. gently caress Vodafone.

oh

I was joking re: protesting for PAC keys but that's a weird coincidence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
You can't do any serious damage to a phone company with water bombs sadly. My names probably on some special balloon lost anyway. When the day comes I have to organise a kids party it'll be brutally broken up by the UK balloon police, popping away. Well they have to use Trident some how.

Boom boom.