Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

E: oh, check out Captain Brevity up there ^^^

Khablam posted:

You generally get less out of exploits on 64bit systems. Address Space Layout Randomization, always-on hardware DEP, kernel patch protection and forced driver signing make the system more robust to buffer overflows and rootkits.

ASLR is more effective on 64-bit (it's really not very useful on 32-bit at all), but a 32-bit OS can use DEP and require drivers to be signed. That's just a policy choice, not something inherent to being a 64-bit architecture. Similarly, Microsoft could have done the KPP obfuscation and critical-value checks in Win32, they just didn't want to break compatibility. They used the transition to 64-bit to tighten down a number of things, but they could equally have done it at any new version point.

(They haven't published the details of KPP, so there might be some aspect of the implementation that relies on x64, but the general strategy of it would be fine on a 32-bit OS.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Right, but we're talking win 32 vs win 64, so whether something is actually implemented is more relevant than arguing whether it could be or not.
I personally think hardware DEP for all processes is better than software opt-in which could theoretically be toggled off by some malware to allow further exploitation, but yeah in theory it's been around a while.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Khablam posted:

Right, but we're talking win 32 vs win 64, so whether something is actually implemented is more relevant than arguing whether it could be or not.
I personally think hardware DEP for all processes is better than software opt-in which could theoretically be toggled off by some malware to allow further exploitation, but yeah in theory it's been around a while.

The post I replied to was making general statements about 64-bit architectures and "code rigor enforcement", as far as I can tell, which is why I asked for more detail. Maybe the poster will clarify.

DEP can and will use the NX bit in a 32-bit Windows, as long as PAE is enabled, going back to Vista.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Subjunctive posted:

DEP can and will use the NX bit in a 32-bit Windows, as long as PAE is enabled, going back to Vista.

XP SP2 actually.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/875352

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Jeoh posted:

are you running Pro? you could run the Current Branch for Business and skip out on all the feature packs, just get security upgrades

No, home unfortunately. I just hate MS forcing whatever they want, it's not like they don't make mistakes or take liberties with your preferences.

How do they handle drivers? For example, will it try to give you the newest WHQL cert video driver or whatever if it sees yours as older?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

slidebite posted:

"MS forcing whatever they want"... "take liberties with your preferences"

Oh come on, enough with the victimization terminology. MS is not raping you. Just use a different OS.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

slidebite posted:

No, home unfortunately. I just hate MS forcing whatever they want, it's not like they don't make mistakes or take liberties with your preferences.

How do they handle drivers? For example, will it try to give you the newest WHQL cert video driver or whatever if it sees yours as older?

Turn off updates if you don't want updates.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

WorkingStiff posted:

Oh come on, enough with the victimization terminology. MS is not raping you. Just use a different OS.

Oh boy.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

No, they are not "raping you" and I am not trying to use hyperbole.

My point is I've purposely had my preferences to, for example, not to do certain updates (whatever) and not share (whatever) but then after a windows update it's all overridden to whatever they want. That's the kind of stuff I don't like. Are they going to steal my identity? No, I really don't think so, but could an auto-update and change of settings inadvertently put in some sort of an exploit? I don't know but it doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.

I am sure I will go to X before the free term ends, I just don't see any reason to do it yet. 8.1 is running great and even 7 runs well on the 2nd system so I just don't see what the upside is at this point.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

WorkingStiff posted:

What the gently caress

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

What the gently caress

slidebite posted:

"MS forcing whatever they want"... "take liberties with your preferences"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's just an rear end in a top hat thing to say. "Use a different OS". OK yeah let me quit my Windows admin gig and go full linux because I dislike how Microsoft is pushing loving Candy Crush down on each user without me having to gently caress around with the registry.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

For those with Optimus systems. Intel quietly slipped out an updated graphics driver on the 26th that stops the constant crashing and bluescreens.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

GreenNight posted:

That's just an rear end in a top hat thing to say. "Use a different OS". OK yeah let me quit my Windows admin gig and go full linux because I dislike how Microsoft is pushing loving Candy Crush down on each user without me having to gently caress around with the registry.

They're just making sure you have enough work to keep your job.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Maybe I am looking at this unreasonably, so I'll say outright what most of my concerns are with MS & Win X and I can either be told they are not issues to be concerned about, easily remedied, or will just have to live with it.

1) Auto updates for drivers. About 2-3 years ago I noticed my PC was only giving me about 700KB/sec that typically gave me 3megabyte/sec on my DSL connection. Once I narrowed down it wasn't my DSL connection, I troubleshooted it to a lovely driver MS automatically gave me for my wifi card. Once I removed it and rolled back the driver, it was smooth sailing with my full speed network connection. However it gave me some frustration because i never even knew it was even installed without me digging into my update history as I was troubleshooting. Ever since then I have switched to manual updates only and do it every day or two and have never had a problem since as I just hid that driver update. Could this happen with WinX and the auto downloads? Will it even give me drivers I don't want? Can I hide driver updates if not serious security updates? I do understand security updates and do have all of them on my PCs, but the "optional" or "recommended" updates are the ones I am mostly concerned about.

2) Automatically changing security/privacy settings without my knowledge. Can an auto update do that or are they configured in some sort of way to not override a user chosen security setting?

3) For the whole update process, I have a laptop which I use on the road a lot (business) so I am in hotels several nights a month. Most hotels I stay in are not metered connections, however they are generally lovely connections. I do browse the net a lot at nights, sometimes do teleconference or game as well. Having a 500MB update going on in the background on a crappy borderline dialup speed connection for something I don't even need is not going to help matters. Is it possible to make updates only happen on "HOME" networks or will it try to download them regardless? I don't want to have to make a point of always asking my hotel at check in what their internet policy/connection is like in case my laptop decides it's time to download a fat update for the next incarnation of Windows games or whatever the hell it thinks I need. I would also rather not need to remember to make every new internet connection a metered/limited connection because sometimes it might be a good unmetered fat pipe and I wouldn't really mind.

I think those are the biggies that are holding me back from going to WinX. I'd appreciate someone who knows more about WinX than I do giving me their thoughts without hyperbole because I really don't know.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 28, 2015

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

FYI I can just scroll up to read your dumb post, no need to quote yourself

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Excuse me sir there is no need to critique an OS in the OS discussion thread

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

GreenNight posted:

If you're still having problems with Candy Crush, you weren't a good Windows admin anyways.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

slidebite posted:

I think those are the biggies that are holding me back from going to WinX. I'd appreciate someone who knows more about WinX than I do giving me their thoughts without hyperbole because I really don't know.

Nah, you're not being unreasonable. Neither Windows Updates nor driver updates are perfect, and Microsoft isn't giving anyone any reasonable Opt-Out options. I found this, but I haven't tested it yet. You can also tell Windows 10 to defer updates, but that doesn't work on all updates from my understanding (Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Advanced Options). Setting your WIFI to metered will also defer updates (Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi > Advanced Options); this will also affect some capital-A Apps by slowing or limiting internet connectivity.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Whizbang posted:

If you're still having problems with Candy Crush, you weren't a good Windows admin anyways.

This is basically the only way to fix it:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mniehaus/archive/2015/11/23/seeing-extra-apps-turn-them-off.aspx

Also it's just with build 1511, so I'm not sure where you're coming from. It's not like it's been an issue since the original win10 release.

And of course you have to install build 1511 specific ADMX templates to even see the GPO.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

FYI I can just scroll up to read your dumb post, no need to quote yourself

Hey, I' m just helping you out since you are uncomfortable with tech. Show me on the doll where Windows 10 touched you.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
If you don't see anything wrong with the trackpad scroll direction arbitrarily reversing (as happen every time Windows decides to update the driver) then that's fine but it annoys the heck out of me.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

WorkingStiff posted:

As a guy that had to deal with the bullshit associated with the Lync -> Skype for Business transition, I'm perfectly content calling it rape.

But yeah, let's get enterprises running Linux at the desktop level.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

GrizzlyCow posted:

Nah, you're not being unreasonable. Neither Windows Updates nor driver updates are perfect, and Microsoft isn't giving anyone any reasonable Opt-Out options. I found this, but I haven't tested it yet. You can also tell Windows 10 to defer updates, but that doesn't work on all updates from my understanding (Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Advanced Options). Setting your WIFI to metered will also defer updates (Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi > Advanced Options); this will also affect some capital-A Apps by slowing or limiting internet connectivity.
Thanks for the reply.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

WorkingStiff posted:

Hey, I' m just helping you out since you are uncomfortable with tech. Show me on the doll where Windows 10 touched you.
Whenever someone critiques a product I like I too use comparisons to rape and child molestation as I am also a fundamentally broken human being

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I had a fun one with Windows 10 and a client's laptop this week. He upgraded Win 7 to 10 on his Lenovo E520. It worked for a few months. The november patch happened and it was no longer able to boot. It would halt during boot with a 0xc000000f code which basically meant a device wasn't present or available. It turns out the main data partition had been changed from NTFS to RAW (or otherwise unreadable). You could get it back to NTFS with chkdsk but it still wouldn't boot. I checked the disk for errors, updated the bios, tried another disk, as well as the half a dozen repair suggestions that that error code gives for Win 10 and also some of the Win 8 suggestions. I also reinstalled Win 10 fresh which worked fine until I ran updates, after which it would reboot and be dead again.

The solution ended up being to install Windows 10 on his laptop's hard disk in another computer, apply the November patch, then move it back to the original laptop. I assume the next big patch won't eat his hard disk's partitions but who knows, I couldn't find other E520 owners with the same problem, just random laptops here and there (a lot of them blamed their SSD but he doesn't have one so it's not that). Anyway I guess the moral here is Windows 10 is free because it may just randomly corrupt your disk with a forced update.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

slidebite posted:

3) For the whole update process, I have a laptop which I use on the road a lot (business) so I am in hotels several nights a month. Most hotels I stay in are not metered connections, however they are generally lovely connections. I do browse the net a lot at nights, sometimes do teleconference or game as well. Having a 500MB update going on in the background on a crappy borderline dialup speed connection for something I don't even need is not going to help matters. Is it possible to make updates only happen on "HOME" networks or will it try to download them regardless? I don't want to have to make a point of always asking my hotel at check in what their internet policy/connection is like in case my laptop decides it's time to download a fat update for the next incarnation of Windows games or whatever the hell it thinks I need. I would also rather not need to remember to make every new internet connection a metered/limited connection because sometimes it might be a good unmetered fat pipe and I wouldn't really mind.

You can set the WiFi network at the hotel as a 'metered' connection, which'll stop the automatic updates at least.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GrizzlyCow posted:

Nah, you're not being unreasonable. Neither Windows Updates nor driver updates are perfect, and Microsoft isn't giving anyone any reasonable Opt-Out options.
It's one of those lesser of two evils situations unfortunately, too many problems caused by people who never update and/or vendors who believe that telling end users not to update their systems is actually a valid option rather than fixing their own broken poo poo. The defer option puts a time limit on vendor fuckups where they can tell people to hold off while they work on a patch but can't just stick their fingers in their ears and pretend they didn't do something stupid to begin with.

How many of the big Windows worms were zero-day or close to it? Not many I'm aware of, most of them were patched months or even years before they were widely exploited yet they still spread like wildfire because when given the choice to be lazy a lot of people will do it.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 28, 2015

Thegrul
Oct 27, 2013

Lum posted:

For those with Optimus systems. Intel quietly slipped out an updated graphics driver on the 26th that stops the constant crashing and bluescreens.

Oh god finally, can someone link it please? (4th gen) :)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

wolrah posted:

How many of the big Windows worms were zero-day or close to it? Not many I'm aware of, most of them were patched months or even years before they were widely exploited yet they still spread like wildfire because when given the choice to be lazy a lot of people will do it.

And how many of them were in trackpad or audio drivers?

Updating the system is fine by me, just leave the drivers alone

Thegrul posted:

I don't think 4th gen were ever affected - never seen any crashes on my HD4600/GTX850 system

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I'm having some trouble with my new XPS 15 where a couple of times now it's woken up while shut (firmly) in my backpack and I haven't noticed for a couple hours while, fans at full speed, it extinguishes my battery life. I assume this is a Windows 10 issue since one of the times it's done it the bag stayed completely still the whole time so there would've been no bump to wake it up or anything?

Is this a known issue with W10? Sorry if this has been asked before or discussed to death. Just looking for any software solutions.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

You can open a command prompt and type powercfg -lastwake to tell you what last woke the PC

Might not be very helpful - on my Asus it's always just 'Type: Fixed Feature Power Button' and I'm definitely sure that isn't what's actually happening.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BottleKnight posted:

I'm having some trouble with my new XPS 15 where a couple of times now it's woken up while shut (firmly) in my backpack and I haven't noticed for a couple hours while, fans at full speed, it extinguishes my battery life. I assume this is a Windows 10 issue since one of the times it's done it the bag stayed completely still the whole time so there would've been no bump to wake it up or anything?

Is this a known issue with W10? Sorry if this has been asked before or discussed to death. Just looking for any software solutions.

I haven't had this happen on my XPS 15 (L502x model), but I also have the power options quite customized versus stock. However whenever I'm transporting it I have it in full hibernate instead of using sleep mode, because the battery's gone kinda bad over the years and it doesn't last that long on regular sleep.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Thegrul posted:

4th gen: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25489/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen-

6th gen: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25620/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-6th-Gen-

I've only tested the 6th gen ones.

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.
Is there any meaningful difference in how "clean" the result is between using the Refresh option and doing a traditional scorched earth nuke-and-reinstall? By which I mean not counting your personal files remaining in place, just things that could impact the system.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

Kairos posted:

Is there any meaningful difference in how "clean" the result is between using the Refresh option and doing a traditional scorched earth nuke-and-reinstall? By which I mean not counting your personal files remaining in place, just things that could impact the system.
I first upgraded and then did a clean install (changed SSDs), and all the fresh install got me was Cortana and Candy Crush Soda Saga (I'm not making the latter name up). 0/10.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just ran into whatever issue causes the start menu to break and windows pops up a message saying to log off to fix it, but it never does. Booted into safe mode and that actually seemed to fix it. Might give it a try.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
I spent the best part of three hours this afternoon trying to set up a VPN on my mother's brand new Windows 10 installation. The idea was that I'd use the VPN to pop some mkv/mp4 downloads into her Plex watch folder. She's getting an OLED TV on Thursday and pretty excited about it.

After twatting about with Win 10 firewall and port forwarding 1723 and 47 I gave up. Should I just set up a SpiderOak account for her and use that to sync my movie download directory with her Plex folder? I don't fancy using Dropbox for commercially available stuff. I'm about 4 miles away from her place and use only Linux boxes on my local net.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

DeaconBlues posted:

I spent the best part of three hours this afternoon trying to set up a VPN on my mother's brand new Windows 10 installation. The idea was that I'd use the VPN to pop some mkv/mp4 downloads into her Plex watch folder. She's getting an OLED TV on Thursday and pretty excited about it.

After twatting about with Win 10 firewall and port forwarding 1723 and 47 I gave up. Should I just set up a SpiderOak account for her and use that to sync my movie download directory with her Plex folder? I don't fancy using Dropbox for commercially available stuff. I'm about 4 miles away from her place and use only Linux boxes on my local net.

Bittorrentsync is probably what you want. SyncThing is an opensource alternative that's a little awkwarder to use in practice.
Both go crossplatform with no issues. Both auto-nav across firewalls and include encryption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

DeaconBlues posted:

Bittorrent sync sounds perfect for this.