Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

quote:

The other tie-in goes along with another John Wick game, Flux. Flux is based around the idea that the world periodically changes between realities, but only a few people notice. It's basically a tool to shift between different games and lives with the same characters. And in getting a view of different realities, she see that one of Lilith's former selves had been killed by Mr. Finger. He emphasizes doing this made Mr. Finger a much more tangible threat, but also established Mr. Finger as another figure that could sense the changes between realities.

Flux Flux actually sounds cool, I'd love to hear more about it. Could work for an Eternal Champion game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kind of twitching over his loving stupid O'Bannon GMPC. Because that guy wasn't annoyingly OP and dumb in 7th Sea already, and even moreso in Changeling, which is a notably low-power game.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
That's the third time we've seen him suggest "Players don't want to play the game you want to run? Promise to run their game, and then force them to play yours anyway, because gently caress them."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The mean vampire lady (who bears a strong resemblance to the Faerie Queen) told the Girls there would be consequences for taking her toy away. She made the sky thunder and the ground shake, but the Girls stood on their side of the bridge and told her to sod off.

(If memory serves, that was the actual phrase they used.)

That first game session ended with the Queen and her little vampire buddies walking back into the darkness, but not before she paused and gave them a warning.

“This bridge will not always be here to protect you.”

Then, she faded away into the darkness.

Yeah. Foreshadowing.

Is he implying that a vampire brought down the I-35W Bridge just to prove a point to some changelings? Because that's super hosed up, even for him.

The more I hear about this setting the more I like about it, it seems pretty well thought out for a Gurps book.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kurieg posted:

The more I hear about this setting the more I like about it, it seems pretty well thought out for a Gurps book.

GURPS has issues as a system, but it's supplements tend to be very well researched and thought-out.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Moscow is pretty interesting. The bookish Zonemind, the obsession with media, the collectors (and the agent ranks being controlled by a split head, one human, one AU). There's a nice hook there for what exactly moscow is going to do once it's completed it's mission, especially if it's correct in the assumption it's going to do so within one generation. Do Info-Commandos get special equipment/cyborgization to make them more capable?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Kurieg posted:

Is he implying that a vampire brought down the I-35W Bridge just to prove a point to some changelings? Because that's super hosed up, even for him.

Wow gently caress that guy, I had a friend whose regular commute is the I-35W bridge, so we were worried as gently caress (thankfully they were already at work when it collapsed), way too soon for that kind of stunt. And sad, it sounded like for the most part his changeling campaign was okay, but then he had to pull the bait and switch.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Yeah, wow, that's awful. He probably thinks that makes people hate his villain instead of just him.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Play Dirty 2: Even Dirtier Part 13

Play Dirty 2: Even Dirtier posted:

John Wick’s 10 Commandments

Thou shall...

... pick a gaming day and keep it holy.

... only kill a character when you have a drat good reason.

... steal good ideas from other media and make them your own.

... read and play as many games as possible so you may expand your knowledge and skills.

... listen to your players and figure out what they want. Then, give it to them.

... change, adapt, modify, edit, remove and erase any pre-conceived plans if your players come up with a better explanation for “what is happening.”

... take any and all opportunities to make new gamers.

... give your players something beautiful to care about with all their hearts and souls, then give them a villain who crushes it mercilessly and laughs in their faces. This is the key to all drama.

... never allow table talk once the game starts. Also, make them put away their laptops, cell phones, tablets and any other distractions. When it is time to tell stories, it’s time to tell stories. Their email can wait. If they can show that kind of respect in a movie theater full of strangers, they can show it when sitting together with their friends.

... always remember that we tell the tales of heroes to remind ourselves that we too can be great.

Play Dirty 2 isn't without good ideas, but there's a lot of dross to dig through to get at them. The big flaw is that Wick wants to teach through anecdotes, but too often gets distracted from making any sort of point with them. It really shows in that the best ideas and techniques are discussed only briefly, but whenever he goes at length, he gets caught up in minutae and braggdacio and One True Waying.

And with that, Play Dirty 2 is done. Or, more importantly, I'm done here.

Next: Time for me to go wash and wash until I am clean.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 28, 2015

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Crasical posted:

Moscow is pretty interesting. The bookish Zonemind, the obsession with media, the collectors (and the agent ranks being controlled by a split head, one human, one AU). There's a nice hook there for what exactly moscow is going to do once it's completed it's mission, especially if it's correct in the assumption it's going to do so within one generation. Do Info-Commandos get special equipment/cyborgization to make them more capable?
An excellent question. Full disclaimer: I don't know jack or poo poo about GURPS, I just really like the setting, but I can infer some stuff.

Also in retrospect I forgot something incredibly important about the Info-Commandos and Collectors.

lovely Mini-Addendum Because This Is Relevant Here Too I Guess

Moscow's agents have an unprecedented amount of freedom for the workers of an AI who still controls and enslaves its population. What stops them from running away? Originally, nothing. A few groups of Collectors managed to play a long enough con to go rogue and defect to a safer zone when they were in calm waters. Ever since, every group of Collectors or Info-Commandos with more than three agents has at least one squad member who is actually an altered Redjack/Lilith designed for infiltration and espionage with a AU riding in the brain. They're not truly human but they're very good at imitating and lying. At any sign of dissent or plan of desertion, the monitoring squaddie will inform Moscow who will decide how the squad should be terminated. It's not uncommon for Moscow to tell the informant to just do the job themselves. This isn't a secret, either. Collectors and Info-Commandos are openly told that one of their ranks is a robot spy. It's not good for morale and paranoia, but it has drastically reduced escape attempts. The Major and the Colonel are the only ones who know which Collectors or Info-Commandos are humans. The monitoring agents may not be bioroids, but they're very hard to tell if they're human or not short of cutting them open.

End lovely Mini Addendum

Anyway. To answer your question, most Collectors and Info-Commandos don't have any type of augmentation, they're mostly just ex-military or given sufficient training before they're allowed out into the field. If you're going to give them a cybernetic implant, the game has limited implants. It just recommends giving them the Cybernetic Implant advantage and then I guess crack open the Cybernetics books for stuff to give them. However, keeping them 100% human makes them easier to disguise what zone they're actually from. It's common for Collectors to get a robot companion for recon disguised as a pet, child or lover. Info-Commandos are just recommended to be straight-up military badasses who can't retire short of running away or dying.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kurieg posted:

No, she's referring to the fact that the contract that keeps the vampires on one side of the bridge will one day be broken, which it eventually is when the PC kill their first vampire, as mentioned in the post.

I may have been unclear, I was having to boil away a lot of the fine details given it's a 20-page chapter that rambles a lot.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hostile V posted:

Moscow's agents have an unprecedented amount of freedom for the workers of an AI who still controls and enslaves its population. What stops them from running away?

The obvious answer is that they already have better security and living conditions then they could get anywhere else in the world. There's no reason to leave unless you're ideologically dedicated to opposing the Zoneminds, in which case you're better off as an agent-in-place (using your Moscow-facilitated access and mobility to help out VIRUS).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Lone Badger posted:

The obvious answer is that they already have better security and living conditions then they could get anywhere else in the world. There's no reason to leave unless you're ideologically dedicated to opposing the Zoneminds, in which case you're better off as an agent-in-place (using your Moscow-facilitated access and mobility to help out VIRUS).
By God, Badger, you can't have soviet superspies coming out of Russia who don't have a reason to dramatically defect, murdering themselves in the process! Do they know the truth about Washington?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Nessus posted:

By God, Badger, you can't have soviet superspies coming out of Russia who don't have a reason to dramatically defect, murdering themselves in the process! Do they know the truth about Washington?
I can assume that Moscow and the other zones might but there's no way in hell the human agents do or else it'd get passed around like nobody's business.

The truth of Zone Washington being this data is expunged by the Protectorate of Washington's FBI for matters integral to national security. Please remain where you are and make your location known to the arriving authorities or the consequences may be dire.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Royal Apes: Man's Shadow, Man's Mirror

quote:

The aye-aye crooked its spindle-thin black finger toward us from its perch in the tree 10 yards away. We all stopped to stare. It gazed back at us through bulging eyes and a mat of stringy hair.

“He’s pointing at the doctor,” Josoa, our guide, murmured. He shouldered his rifle and took aim at the creature. “Wait,” I said, but it was too late. The aye-aye fell dead from its tree, and the forest went quiet in the aftershock of Josoa’s rifle shot.

“He was pointing at you, sir,” Josoa said, seeing the stricken look on my face. “Don’t pity it. That devil bears the mark of death.” He tramped through the underbrush and pulled out the lemur’s carcass by its hair. “For your studies,” he said.

Late that night, I awoke to the rattle of overturned trays and broken glass. I hurried to my temporary lab, a military surplus tent with a single folding table and all the equipment my assistant and I could carry. We had left the aye-aye’s body there, meaning to take measurements and bury it in the morning.

I don’t remember clearly what I saw: A small dark form crouched over the aye-aye’s body. The gold lanterns of its eyes as it turned toward me. A look of grief and rage.

I told the others a monkey had stolen into our tent and destroyed our equipment. Random mischief. It was to be expected. But I dreamed of a flame-eyed beast with golden fur and gold scale armor, cradling the broken aye-aye to its chest, its outstretched finger pointed at me.
I don't see how the POV character is at fault here, short of being a 'white man in the wilderness' which I guess is it's own mistake.

This chapter is also written by someone new, one Alexa Duncan, who as far as I can tell has not written anything RPG related before or since.

Behold the Beast: "More than any other creature, our simian cousins embody the dichotomy of Man and Beast in a single form. Stripped of human social mores, they are man at his most tender - and his most rapacious. From the peaceful yet promiscuous bonobo to the warlike chimpanzee, the powerful silverback giant to the dexterous tamarin, primates run the same gamut of physical capabilities and mental dispositions as humans, and much more" Sure they do, particularly when you lump an entire Taxonomic order into a single group. Yes, despite the fact that they're "Royal Apes" this group encompasses all of Order Primate, which is just poorly researched and dumb. Since they're usually apex predators their only real universal predator is man, and the book harps on that for a few paragraphs. Then it goes on about all the legends about monkey as a trickster god and warrior king in various Asian Cultures. Note that they will lump all of these legends into two distinct groupings and completely ignore the actual species therein. Because it's easier that way. Also yetis and Sasquatch, excuse me, the SHADOW-MEN, find themselves in this group. Or they don't. Because they probably don't exist, or maybe they do?

More than any other species their human form tends to look normal. Though gorillas are more broad shouldered than a macaque. "The clues to their nature are more subtle: something in a person's grim smile that conveys more menace than amusement, his penchant for going barefoot, the way he hurls paperweights and crockery when something displeases him, or his uncannily long, limber arms and legs..."
So what I'm getting is that this

and this

are the epitome of were-ape culture. Got it.

Their primal forms also tend to have opposable thumbs, and they're absolutely insufferable about it to other Primals. They also feel 'bald' in their human forms so they love styling whatever hair they have. They don't outright state it but manscaping is implied.

They can be found anywhere Primates show up, and everywhere else because airplanes exist. But they tend to concentrate in Asia, Africa, and South America.

quote:

Just as humans, simians are omnivores. Most days, they forage for plants and the occasional bird’s egg. But those incisors aren’t for nothing. Sometimes a Royal Ape craves meat. If he’s lucky, he can walk into a restaurant and order plate after plate of ribs and steaks, or pick up an antelope carcass where a pack of lionesses left off. Other times, eating the meat isn’t enough: he has to catch it with his own hands. Even the most civilized of baboons simply can’t help himself from feasting on a tender, succulent baby chimpanzee every once in a while. He may feel remorse later, but at the time it feels so right. . . .
How dare man eat bush meat and predate on primates? That's our job!

The apes long to return to a time when humans worshiped Sun Wukong, which as far as I can tell is a time that never actually happened. Their society either adores groups, or hates them, depending on which paragraph of the text you're reading. But they do adhere strongly to their oaths of brotherhood once given. Their groups adhere to a rigid hierarchy with an Alpha keeping his "Or in the case of Bonobos, her" subordinates in check. Baboon ferals keep a harem of females for their own personal use, and will bite or kill any that they feel are getting out of line.

quote:

Stereotypes
Man: Poor cousin! He fancies himself the ruler of the world, yet all the while the ground crumbles beneath his feet.
Mages: Parlor tricks bore me. Our own witches are far more fearsome.
Vampires: What the undead do is their business, as long as they keep out of my house.
Werewolves: Any fight between us would leave each side too bloody to be worthwhile
I love the mage stereotype because any tricks their witches might have are straight up stolen from the mage rulebook :allears:

Hanumani Brahman: the Golden Lords
And here we run into the major problem I have with the Royal Apes, they aren't divided by species like the other Ferals are. The Hanumani Brahman are a collection of most of the feral families that exist within India and the former British Empire, that claim to be descended from Hanuman. When a monkey or Ape feral is born into one of these families he immediately ascends to the head of the household unless it is already occupied. And any marrage between two Hanuman ferals is a week long celebration. So it's good that they're also all rich as hell to support themselves. That said they are on the decline because they still hold to the caste system and refuse to admit new members into their house. The younger members want to 'search for lost blood' but the elders refer to this as 'promiscuous fraternization'.
Appearance:

quote:

A Hanumani Brahman’s Primal Beast self may take the form any number of apes or monkeys native to India, particularly the macaque or the gibbon. In their wiry and ferocious War-Beast forms, they prefer to go naked or wear silk lungis or kurtas. After several spectacularly failed experiments with a Kevlar-silk hybrid armor, the elder Hanumani declared modern body armor “an unnatural contrivance.” Many families still keep traditional quilted silk and leather armor, but this is mostly for show these days, much as a European noble family might keep a dusty suit of plate armor in the library.
So we're just ignoring the bits where they said that they can't wear anything manmade when they shapeshift? Sure. Anyways the body armor is relatively worthless anyway since they're rich enough to just have human bodyguards or were-elephant ferals to do their dirty work for them.
Their human forms are always impeccably dressed, and employ several servants for the expressed purpose of dressing them because that is servant work.

Background:Most Hanumani maintain shrines to Hanuman, or at least make pilgrimmages to the shrine often with their children to "encourage the gift". They're also trained from an early age to accept the change and the near-worshipful attitude of their families make it much easier to settle into their role.
Breed Favors:Clamber, size 4, speed 6
Breed Bonus:All Hanumani Brahman have the Magnificence Aspect for free.
Common Aspects: Alarming Alacrity, Bare Necessities, Clever Monkey, Durga's Blessing, Fortune's Favor, Hybrid Forms, Magnificence, Righting Reflex, Sexual Dimorphism, Unsettling Eye, Weaver's Wisdom.
Form Adjustments: War-BeastStr+2, Dex+3, Sta+2, Man-1, Size 5, Health+7, Speed +6, +1 to perception rolls. Primal Beast: Str+1, Dex+3, Sta+1, Man-2, size 4, Health+0, Speed+5, +1 to Perception Rolls

So he got the health calculation wrong the first time, and right the second time? Also, all hanumani Brahmen are size 4 regardless of their species. So those are either some freakishly huge lemurs or small gorillas.

The Order of the Luminous Way of Sun Wukong: Turned Tricksters
There is no way I'm going to type that out every time, assholes. More a vocation than a breed, the Order sees themselves as intermediaries between the world of beast and man like the original Sun Wukong eventually became. And any tailless simian of roughly human size is welcome to join. Why? Because we need as large a bucket as possible to fit all these groups into. Also I'm pretty sure that's a spider monkey up there which is neither human sized nor tailless. They must also accept the ascetic lifestyle and teachings of the Buddha. Using those teachings to keep them from the lower end of the Harmon scale at which point they turn into a rampaging engine of chaos, "the worst of man and beast combined".

Appearance: As fitting their ascetic lifestyle, they favor simple, colorful robes in their human guise. In their war beast guise they emulate Sun-Wukong. Though an actual suit of golden armor would be impractical, they choose to interpret that bit of the tale a bit more liberally and instead their fur takes on a golden sheen and they literally glow with an aura of golden flame.

Background: They used to keep separate monasteries for their male and female students, but their numbers have dwindled to the point where that's no longer feasible. The closed nature of other sects and the apparent need for companionship that all royal apes feel (Which they didn't have earlier in the book so sure?) drives primates from all over the world to the Order's doors. Some abandon their training after days or weeks but those who remain emerge deadly zen-like warriors. In addition to the principles of Buddhism, they also practice Shaolin Kung-Fu

I'm seriously beginning to think that this entire thing only exists because Brucato wrote "Black Kung-Fu Gorilla Monk" on the whiteboard and continued underlining it until someone finally acquiesced.
Breed Favors: Clamber, Fang and Claw1(L), Speed 6
Breed Bonus: Members of the order can use Kung Fu in their beast forms.... fuuuuckk yoooou whatever editor let this go to print.
Common Aspects: Alarming Alacrity, Catwalk, Hybrid Forms, Keen Sense, Magnificence, Pack Bond, Resilient Form, Unnerving Cry, Warrior's Restoration, Weaver's Wisdom.

Form Adjustments: War-BeastStr+2, Dex+3, Sta+2, Man-1, Size 5, Health+7, Speed +6, +1 to perception rolls. Primal Beast: Str+1, Dex+3, Sta+1, Man-2, size 4, Health+0, Speed+5, +1 to Perception Rolls

Why yes, that is literally the same stat spread as the Hanumani.

Abathakathi: The Witch-Apes
Oh boy it's time to get super racist.

quote:

Shapeshifters in West Africa have a hard lot. Between the belief among some Muslims that monkeys were once humans transmuted into animal form as punishment for theirs sins, and local superstition mixed with Christianity, any being with the Changing Gift lives in constant fear of persecution. Remote villages employ the most brutal means of driving shapeshifters and other anomalies from their midst.

Villagers saddle odd or uncanny children with the name Abathakathi (Ah-buh-tha-kath-ee; singular, umthakathi), which literally means “a mixer of medicines” but connotes an evil sorcerer or malicious being intent on harm. Cancers, AIDS, all manner of blight: Man lays blame for these at the Abathakathi’s feet. Those accused are almost exclusively girl-children. Such evil is inborn, men say, and must be snuffed out as quickly as possible. What better time than when the umthakathi is a child,when she has little
defense against fire and crowds?
Of course being burned at the stake forces these children to undergo their first change, at which point they realize "well I am a monster guess it's time to curse people with aids." The book is then quick to point out that if only they had left them alone they would have grown up to be great healers, how pitiable it is then for man. Poor man.

Appearance:

quote:

Far from human society, the umthakathi cares little for the conventions of human dress. The clothes she wore when she fled quickly become a patchwork of torn cloth, bloodstains, bone and woven plant fiber. Her hair
becomes a matted nest of fleas and other insects, and she paints her skin with gray mud to disguise its natural tone.
She prefers to wander the forest in her Primal form, which often takes the shape of a mandrill. Her War-Beast form is a terrifying mixture of the Primal form and human guise. From afar, she gives the impression of an unusually tall man, but aside from her human eyes, her face is that of a mandrill: a long red stripe of nose flanked by blue flesh, and below it, a maw of saberlike incisors.
Background: If the pile of female pronouns didn't tip you off, almost all Abathakathi are female. The only males being the descendants of a female Umthakathi. Most live alone or in pairs with a master-student pairing.

Breed Favors: Clamber, Darksight, Fang and Claw 1(L)
Breed Bonus: All of them have an affinity for Beast Magic because duh.
Common Aspects: Alarming Alacrity(again), Beast Magic, Beast Surge, Blend In, Clamber, Clever Monkey, Earthbond, Keen Sense, Nine Lives, Righting Reflex, Territory Bond, Unnerving Cry, Unsettling Eye, Weaver's Wisdom
Form Adjustments: War-BeastStr+2, Dex+4, Sta+2, Man 2, Size 5, Health+7, Speed +6, +2 to perception rolls. Primal Beast: Str+1, Dex+3, Sta+1, Man-1, size 4, Health+0, Speed+5, +1 to Perception Rolls

That isn't a typo, it just says "Manipulation 2" in the book, and the stats are almost identical to the previous two breeds except for an extra point of dex and the Manipulation, and they got the health wrong again.

As an aside, I'm willing to bet Brucato creamed himself when he got to this breed in the writer's spec.

Other Species
Tothians and Babi-Ahsh: The Mane and the Stone
So the baboons are important enough to get two sub-breeds but aren't important enough to get a full writeup for some reason.

quote:

It was not Man who discovered magic, but the baboon. One of the first children of the sky, the first baboon Ahnkan-Ka mated with a falling star and produced two brothers: Aki-Toth of the Brightfi re Mane and Babi-Ya the Hooded Stone. All three baboons understood instinctually the secrets of the universe, and their descendants have used those arts ever since.

Ages later, two baboon breeds carry on that legacy. The scholarly Tothians draw inspiration from Thoth, the Egyptian god of magic and wisdom; steeped in ritual and finery, they preserve ancient rituals in the hidden heart of the Old Land. Babi-Ahsh, in contrast, run naked and screaming under an open sky; their sorcery writhes with entrails and raw meat. The eerie tales of wizard-apes beneath Cairo or rampant witch-apes in Mpumalanga may find their truth in these related breeds. Although the cousins approach their magic differently, each boasts an innate talent for the art.
:psyduck: I'm almost certain this has absolutely no grounding in actual mythology which is good because it also seems super racist.

The Tothians are master of captial M Magic, and are scholarly antiquarians. The Babi-Ahsh snatch baby animals and humans to sacrifice to their dark gods and are instead masters of Spirit Magic.

Breed Favors: Clamber, Darksight, Fang and Claw 1 (L)
Breed Bonus: Their Beast/Spirit magic aspects are what count here. apparently.
Common Aspects: Bare Necessities, Beast Magic, Blend In, Earthbond, Hybrid Forms, Keen Sense, Nine Lives, Shadow Bond, Truth Sense, Unsettling Eye (Tothians), Alarming Alacrity, Blend In, Catwalk, Clamber,
Culling the Weak, Earthbond, Skin Double, Spirit Gift, Spirit Secrets, Spirit Sight, Territory Bond, Unnerving Cry (Babi-Ahsh)

Form Adjustments: War-BeastStr+2, Dex+3, Sta+2, Man-2, Size 5, Health+7, Speed +6, +2 to perception rolls. Primal Beast: Str+1, Dex+3, Sta+1, Man-1, size 4, Health+0, Speed+5, +1 to Perception Rolls

My, these look suspiciously familiar. All they did was swap the manipulation penalties, somehow making them more adept at manipulating people in beast form, must be the giant red asses.

Hugranja: The Hairy Men
Their logic here appears to be "No, bigfoot doesn't exist, but if he did this is his statline". It just takes them 3 paragraphs to actually get to that point, lingering way too long on 'well man says that were-apes don't exist either, huh!? HUH!?'.

Breed Favors: Darksight, Fang and Claw 1 (L), Size 7
Breed Bonus: Since they're so good at hiding they receive two extra successes on any attempt to evade detection. I'll admit it, it's sort of clever.
Common Aspects: Blend In, Catwalk, Earthbond, Hybrid Forms, Keen Sense, Nine Lives, Shadow Bond,
Spirit Sight, Territory Bond, Weatherskin

Form Adjustments: Their primal form is the Sasquatch, which triggers the delusion as normal. The War-Beast is an even bigger angrier Sasquatch with glowing eyes, huge fangs, and a dense hide that exudes mist and smoke.
War-BeastStr+4, Sta+3, Man-2, Size 8, Health+8, Speed +4, +1 to perception rolls. Primal Beast: Str+3, Sta+2, Man-2, size 7, Health+4, Speed+3, +1 to Perception Rolls

Blessed be they got the health calculations right finally, probably because they stopped copy-pasting the first mistake.

Up Next: Arachnophobia

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, if Wick has such a consistent problem with people not paying attention, it might be because his games sound aggressively uninteresting.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Count Chocula posted:

Flux actually sounds cool, I'd love to hear more about it. Could work for an Eternal Champion game.

It is an really interesting idea, though it's one of those unfortunate game pitches where after I read the back cover of the book, it's like "Well, that's a neat idea, but I can just go do it on my own, I don't actually need the book per se."

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Flux is also an idea that would be a lot more fun if the group had buy-in with the notion, rather than saying, "Okay! We're playing my game now instead of the stupid baby-games you idiots wanted to play," which is the implication almost every time Wick pulls this poo poo.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Incidentally, 'Mister Finger' is such a dumb name.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It remind me of Mister Jigsaw the friendly Spectre from Orpheus, except Jigsaw was a cool NPC and Fingers is lame on every level.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Well, we don't know how the game change was presented to the group, or how long he ran. He certainly seemed to like Lost and complimented it. But I couldn't help myself from commenting on it after seeing the pattern.

That being said, Mr. Finger is an awful name, but that's that happens when you drag childhood concepts along with you. I had nightmares about the Muppet Sweetums, but I'm not putting Sweetums as a villain in my games because what scared me then has largely zero impact on grown adults. He has a whole story about how he overcome his fear of Finger as a child in the book, but I excised it because it's a pretty irrelevant tangent.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, we don't know how the game change was presented to the group, or how long he ran. He certainly seemed to like Lost and complimented it. But I couldn't help myself from commenting on it after seeing the pattern.

That being said, Mr. Finger is an awful name, but that's that happens when you drag childhood concepts along with you. I had nightmares about the Muppet Sweetums, but I'm not putting Sweetums as a villain in my games because what scared me then has largely zero impact on grown adults. He has a whole story about how he overcome his fear of Finger as a child in the book, but I excised it because it's a pretty irrelevant tangent.
I betcha it's when his dad showed him that magic trick about how to make your thumb come off that helped him break that fear. Boop! No more Mr. Finger, I'm holding him and I'm not giving him back!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

He has a whole story about how he overcome his fear of Finger as a child in the book, but I excised it because it's a pretty irrelevant tangent.

They why didn't you excise the rest of the book? :v:

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012

Kurieg posted:

:psyduck: I'm almost certain this has absolutely no grounding in actual mythology which is good because it also seems super racist.
Babi is (or I guess technically was) an actual ancient Egyptian deity. He's a shitlord who sits around in the underworld of Duat with a constant raging boner, eating the entrails of the damned. There were men who would pray to him in order to be sure they could still get it up once they were in the afterlife, but Thoth eventually replaced him as the big boss baboon of Egyptian deities and his job as eater of the unworthy was syncreticized into Ammut/Ammit.

As far as I know, there were no crazy naked magic rituals related to him, though, and he certainly wasn't worshiped as far south as the lands of the Zulu like the text implies. That's all on Brucato.

EDIT: Aye-ayes being harbingers of darkness and impious people transforming into apes are also both actual mythology, but they also don't really fit into a book about were-creatures beyond "look, I know mythology about primates, ma!".

Fossilized Rappy fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 28, 2015

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Fossilized Rappy posted:

Babi is (or I guess technically was) an actual ancient Egyptian deity. He's a shitlord who sits around in the underworld of Duat with a constant raging boner, eating the entrails of the damned. There were men who would pray to him in order to be sure they could still get it up once they were in the afterlife, but Thoth eventually replaced him as the big boss baboon of Egyptian deities and his job as eater of the unworthy was syncreticized into Ammut/Ammit.

As far as I know, there were no crazy naked magic rituals related to him, though, and he certainly wasn't worshiped as far south as the lands of the Zulu like the text implies. That's all on Brucato.
I knew about Thoth but I googled the first name there and didn't find anything about baboon dieties loving a star so I wrote the whole thing off. But still they conflated an egyptian diety with half-feral natives in South-Africa running around eating children.

Also after finishing my writeup I realized that it seems like someone said "you have to have an entire splat spread of nothing but Apes" but there wasn't much mechanically that supported it. Which is why you've got 5 different breeds with almost identical stats and drawing from increasingly threadbare support networks. It's a square peg in a round hole for the sake of appearances. And it's definitely not the last time we'll see it.

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012

Kurieg posted:

I knew about Thoth but I googled the first name there and didn't find anything about baboon dieties loving a star so I wrote the whole thing off. But still they conflated an egyptian diety with half-feral natives in South-Africa running around eating children.
Yeah, that part's complete bullshit and more than a little racist. It's as if Brucato couldn't just leave "murderous boner-monkey who lives in the Egyptian underworld" as its own amazing anecdote and decided to have Egyptian religion transmit itself throughout the entirety of Africa. Because it's not as if there are major sources of religious beliefs in sub-Saharan Africa or anything. "Nah, let's not talk about anything Yoruba or Bantu, it's Egypts all the way down!"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Well, they did touch on one other African culture in the witch-mandrills that give you aids.

Oh wait.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I've met so many Australians who grew up on Monkey Magic and who would probably love to play Sun Wukong in the World of Darkness, though that's clearly a terrible idea and why wouldn't you just use Exalted? Or Feng Shui, but 'modern day Sun Wukong' is a pretty vanilla character there.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Play Dirty 2: Even Dirtier Part 13

quote:

Thou shall...

... pick a gaming day and keep it holy.

This only works if you exclusively game with people whose responsibilities never come in the way. If people have lots of free evenings, but some work overtime based on workload demands they have no control over, it may be better to move the gaming day around than to be inflexible.

quote:

... only kill a character when you have a drat good reason.

This really is a matter of taste.

quote:

... give your players something beautiful to care about with all their hearts and souls, then give them a villain who crushes it mercilessly and laughs in their faces. This is the key to all drama.

And here we have the reason John Wick tells all these stories about himself being a jerk; he seems to think that pointlessly evil and mean villains are the only way to have drama. gently caress you John Wick, have you ever read/seen a romantic drama unfold? They don't need evil villains, or even villains, unless you count "misunderstandings" as a villain that mercilessly crushes someone's dreams of a relationship and laughs in their face. Lots of truly great drama is built around having people trying their best to be good coming to blows - and the drama and tragedy comes from how neither side can easily be painted at evil or even mean, precisely because neither side are petty enough to laugh in the opposition's face. Man-versus-nature stories don't have villains at all, yet make for great drama too.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The eternal great conflicts that drive narrative. Man vs. nature. Man vs. self. Man vs. cyborgs.

Also, if I had to make multiple major ape cultures up, I'd definitely start ripping off such mythological icons as Gorilla City from the Flash and the Planet of the Apes.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I'll admit, the first thing I did when writing up a supers setting was figure out the equivalent of Gorilla City.

(It's Goril-la, a mythical valley of immortal great apes in the Himalayas who teach both martial arts and terrible ape pun name schemes.)

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
[quote="Play Dirty 2: Even Dirtier" post="454299581"]
Nobody ever talks about the Faerie King. There are no stories about him. It’s always the Queen. Powerful. Terrible. Beautiful. We’d be dealing with that. Arcadia, in my mind, is a very feminine place. Cities are masculine with their geometry and cold concrete. But Arcadia is lush and growing. Green and warm. Playing off those two very different settings would be fun.[/quote]

Oberon? Who's that?!

And the rest of this chapter... wow. I mean, wow. If I ever get to run a Ryuutama campaign, I'll make sure to turn it into a round of Shadworun halfway through. The players will love it!

Hostile V posted:

EUROPE, FINALE

A setting were a group of badass Russian SpecOps and a Replicant try to rescue the last known copy of Dark Dungeons? Why have I never heard of this before?

Kurieg posted:

Royal Apes: Man's Shadow, Man's Mirror

So they were so hell-bend on separating these splats into different mythologies that they didn't care that lemures and gorillas end up with the same stats? The hell is going on o_O ?

quote:

The apes long to return to a time when humans worshiped Sun Wukong, which as far as I can tell is a time that never actually happened. Their society either adores groups, or hates them, depending on which paragraph of the text you're reading. But they do adhere strongly to their oaths of brotherhood once given. Their groups adhere to a rigid hierarchy with an Alpha keeping his "Or in the case of Bonobos, her" subordinates in check. Baboon ferals keep a harem of females for their own personal use, and will bite or kill any that they feel are getting out of line.

Of course they needed an excuse to justify kung-fu gorillas and kinda sorta cover Chinese mythology, so they went with a character from what is basically a comedy novel. It's a little bit like making an ape breed of wise British scholars who worship the Librarian from Discworld.
Well, I hope they at least get extendable quarterstaves and a cloud to ride on.

Double Cross - Advanced Rulebook

UGN NPCs

A lot of these are from UGN Japan (of course), but we also get a few from Axis and the HQ. This is mainly due to Dr.... oh wait Professor Caudwell (silly me) now being the new leader of FH Japan, forcing the higher-ups at UGN to exert more direct control over Japan out of fear of them effing it up. Seeing how the regional branches of UGN Japan used to be very independent from each other, many agents are naturally a bit irritated by these turn of events.

And as a lot of NPCs were already covered in the corebook without a full statblock, I'll just go over the new ones.

Yuki "Guiding Fate" Yakoji became the Branch Chief of City S at the young age of 15 because of her mad Neumann skills. Originally a bit insecure about her position, she is now a beacon of stability in the recent chaos. She does a pretty good job at stabilizing the UGN, but she has become a popular target for False Hearts attacks in the process, none of which have been particularly successful.

Ashe "Million Suns" Redaric is a Balor/Orcus/Hanuman Overed and former head of the Oversight division, a position in which he earned tha hate of many field agents that got demoted or transferred because of him. After Caudwell's return, he became a member of Axis and is now the leader of the Reform faction, aiming to militarize the UGN and make Axis an Overed-only committee.

Kaoru "Jester's Truth" Senjoji is an Orcus/Morpheus Overed and filthy rich pretty boy. A member of R-Lab and follower of Therese Blum, he claims that he comes from a noble family that owned a castle in Western Australia, which is most likely a load of bullcrap.

Genichi "Holy Meditator" Fujisaki is an Orcus/Solaris Overed working directly for the UGN HQ. He's a strict realist who tries to convince the various UGN branches to cooperate better. While he often disagrees with the Japan Branch Chief Kiritani, he nevertheless trusts him to handle things without Axis breathing down his neck.

Ivy "Sylphid" Knowles is a 13-year-old pianist who became a Hanuman/Angel Halo after she got kidnapped by Phantom Cell. One of the survivors of the revolt that ended Phantom Cell, she now dedicates herself to changing the world with her music. I guess she is also either an Illegal or someone supervised by the UGN.

Shiori "Transceiver Girl" Fujimiya uses her Neumann to become an expert hacker, able to get acess to anything she wants. When she ended up getting caught, she became an UGN Illegal, doing the occassional job for them in exchange for protection.

Midori "Clean Green" Kano, a an Orcus/Solaris/Exile Overed, probably has one of the worst jobs out there. She is the president of Midorimaru Cleaning Service, a front for UGN Japan's Clean-Up division. Understaffed and underpayed, things aren't exactly cozy for her, what with both UGN and False Hearts agents causing collateral damage all the time.

Masamichi "Burning Heart" Ino is a new and idealistic UGN Agent and the Salamandra/Hanuman Syndromes. His enthusiasm isn't shared by older, more jaded Agents who have seen what the UGN has become, but maybe a bit of fresh blood isjust what they need.

Maria "Fragarach" Chesnokov, an Angel Halo and possibly former assassin, is the leader of Section Four, also known as the "Fugitive Killers" because they are a glorified deaths quad tasked to kill UGN traitors and deserters. It probably doesn't bode well that she and her Section are loyal to Ashe and his cause.

Masaya "Cool Runner" Arishiro served in the JSDF before becoming a Neumann/Black Dog/Morpheus Overed. Spending a couple years as a mercenary, he eventually found out about the UGN and is now the vice-captain of Japan's Strikehounds. Despite his violent past, he's a kind soldier who always looks out for his comrades.

Other NPCs

Kozue Shinjo, The Other-World Priestess is a nice 12-year-old girl who has an entire UGN Special Branch surveilling her. Why? Well, her Encroachment Rate is 666% and her Renegade Control skill of 30 is even better than Caudwell's (though he has a much higher [Mind] stat to go with it), but she doesn't shown any signs of being a Gjaum, nor has she ever done anything with her Salamandra/Solaris/Balor powers to harm anyone.
Despite the lack of incidents caused by her, the S-Ranking website nevertheless has her ranked as having the 2nd highest power level after Caudwell.

Nameless is awesome. A master informant of legendary renown, he has managed to hide is true identity by using his Orcus/Black Dog powers to contact customers solely through animal proxies. Getting your intel from a talking dog or pidgeon might be strange, but at least the information's good.

Ryo "Midnight Driver" Kugayama is an Angel Halo/Neumann Overed and another informant, giving out intel and rumors to anyone who pays well. Since his official job is that of a late-night taxi driver, he passes on his intel while driving his "customer" and only stops when the fare equals the payment for his intel.

Diaz "Ace Card" McLain is the captain of Tempest (the US Marine's anti-renegade group) and a Hanuman/Black Dog/Exile Overed. He does a pretty good job so far, but military officials fear the extensive augmentations he and his team go through could turn them all into Gjaums.

Fionn "Old S" Boothroyd is an old MI6 veteran who still works for the Empire on Overed-related tasks well after his retirement ever since he got hit with a case of the Black Dog Syndrome. He's a real gentleman, but his jokes are terrible.

Douji Saga, the Knight of the Round Table is a great example for a Renegade Being with the Legend Origin: taking control of a suit of medieval armor, he believed himself to be Lord Gawain, travelling all around the globe for who knows how long on a quest to find the Holy Grail. Even after an encounter with Xenos uncovered his true nature, he still can't stop himself from believing that he his Lord Gawain. You'd think someone with the Neumann/Black Dog would be a bit more logical.

Fernando "Smoker" Franco, a Morpheus/Neumann Overed and the very laid-back, but effective, leader of the Guild's Japan branch. His negotiation skills are through the roof.

Seiji Munei, The Walking Animal is the human leader of the Special Investigations Agency. He hates both the UGN and Overeds, but he knows that mere humans have no chance at fighting Overeds.

Shoya "Clockwork" Mitsurugi is the boss of the Takagawa Yakuza family, a part of the Ko-Ou Society. The other bosses don't trust him due to his young age (24), but espionage skills served the family very well. He is also an Orcus Overed, proving that the Society isn't entirely in the dark when it comes to the Renegade.

Natsuki "Steel Guardian" Minase is the leader of the civilian anti-Gjaum group Tindalos ever since she desposed of the original leader due to his incompetence. A Salamandra/Exile herself, she realizes that Tindalos needs to recruit more Overesd if they ever want to become a serious player in this game.

Toshimichi Asada is one of the few Japanese politicians who know about the Renegade, and he is the de-facto spokesperson for the UGN's agenda. As a doctor, he sees the Renegade virus as a disease, and there are rumors about an Overed in his own family. I sense a bit of X-Men here.

Kiyomaru Kawai, the "Mountain Hsein" is an odd fellow. A wandering old hobo who is actually a rich man if the rumors to believed, only sleeping in forests and abandoned buildings he personally owns. He knows about the Renegade and is in fact an Overed with unkown Syndromes. He has many connections with all kinds of organizations and likes to help out young folks.
Trying to fight him is a very bad idea, for he is even more powerful than Caudwell, especially when it comes to mental powers where he absolutely rocks with a [Mind] of 30 and Renegade Control of friggin' 40. Who knows why he isn't #1 on S-Ranking.
I also think that he kinda looks like Muten-Roshi:

"Does anyone have some censored beer for me?"

Next Time: More about City N and its questionable redevelopment plans.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 28, 2015

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Doresh posted:

Oberon? Who's that?![

I'm more amused that he says all that and the only other female characters of note that get mentioned are an unnamed female vampire Prince and a (named) corpse. There's also an unnamed Baba Yaga-type character of no consequence to the article, so I didn't bring her up. Almost everybody they deal with seems to be a guy, most of whom have a position of power over them.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's funny how little he seems to grasp Changeling the Lost.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

That way of "simplifying" rules in the alleged interests of roleplaying is something I've seen happen personally, and somehow it always ends with the GM just declaring things happening in the end. Because ~*storytelling*~ beats being an evil rules-bound Dungeon Master.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

In most traditional RPGs, traits and abilities are an essential means for players to express agency. Wick's repeated exhortations of "their sheets cannot save them" and downplaying their associated mechanics is a direct denial of that agency, of course.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wick is the kind of guy who would see a PC dump a ton of points into 'I am one of the best swordfighters in the world.' and go 'Aha! I should have someone shoot her! That'll learn her!' instead of 'Oh, she really wants to have exciting swordfights.'

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I really don't get that "their sheets cannot save them" mentality. Like, does he literally mean "their main form of agency and interacting with mechanics mean nothing in the way of my desire to control everything"? Or is there more nuance to it that I'm missing?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Covok posted:

I really don't get that "their sheets cannot save them" mentality. Like, does he literally mean "their main form of agency and interacting with mechanics mean nothing in the way of my desire to control everything"? Or is there more nuance to it that I'm missing?

No, that's exactly what it means. Wick wants to tell a particular story, the players' characters and their abilities be damned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Like, I'm all for occasionally fudging stuff. If a player's having a really bad streak with dice and getting visibly frustrated, we'll give them a pity reroll or sometimes let them do something their PC is good at without rolling to give them a moment to show off and get back in the game, that kind of thing. But just flat-out ignoring the rules to run whatever, PC permission or not, is kind of defeating the point of playing an RPG with a group.

• Locked thread