Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I just replaced my ~4 year old Mitsubishi HC7800D with a Sony HW40ES and it seems time to finally do something about the reflected light with my setup:

I'm projecting from around 13' onto a 110" Elite 1.1 gain screen; reflected light from the light-colored carpet, ceiling, and adjacent wall have always been an issue but the Sony is quite a bit brighter than my older projector so it's even more noticeable now. Ambient light is a non issue so I'm really just trying to reduce the light that's getting bounced back onto the screen. We watch the projector with all the lights off, usually at night.

I'd like to improve the projector viewing experience but haven't figured out a way to darken the walls/ceiling/floor in a way that wouldn't make the basement look weird when we're down there with lights on and not watching the projector.

The basement runs the length of the house and I don't want to replace the entire drop ceiling but I'm open to maybe painting the wall behind the screen and the one that's perpendicular to the screen; I'm not sure what to do about the ceiling/carpet other than maybe painting or putting fabric over the first few rows of drop ceiling tiles.

Any suggestions?

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I am so excited to finally post in this thread! Just this month we finished out our basement which has a place for a dedicated "media" room. I will be needing to purchase a screen, projector and any applicable mounting brackets. I have read through this thread and see a lot of info. Hopefully by giving you details on my setup will garner some good suggestions.

What's your budget?
Realistically between projector and screen and misc hardware for mounting etc I would not be opposed to spending up to $3000-3500 USD. If something costs less and will still yield great results I am okay with that.

Intended sources -- what are you going to watch/play/do?
A lot of streaming mostly through AppleTV; BluRay and DVD. Very little/no broadcast stuff. We don't have any cable/sat TV. I might occasionally turn on my XBOX 360 but unlikely since it has been on one time since we built our home over 2 1/2 years ago. I care not one little bit about 3D anything.

How big of a picture do you want? "I don't care/Big" is an acceptable answer
As big as I can fit (see photos and layout). I would be okay with a permanent mounted screen or a screen that can go up into a "box" if it is not too obtrusive and doesn't degrade the viewing experience

Are you going to use a screen? (if you already own a screen, how big/what kind/what gain, if known?)
Yes I intend to use a screen. I am willing to build/make my own if that means better, or buying a pre-done unit if a nominal fee/advantage over making my own.

What are the restrictions, if any, on placement?

None. I have power and HMDI cables run to where the projector will be mounted and plan on running those through a receiver (next on my list of things to research)

Photos!

Floor plan of my basement, the media room in the center. I have pre-wired it for 7.2 surround. Light from window sources will not be a problem. The bedrooms all have doors that close. the two that are in the family room have blinds and are on the north side of the house so night time watching will be perfect. Distance from back wall to wall for screen is slightly over 14 feet. The screen will be on the wall with the side that has stairs. Projector will be on the side that is on the "top" of the floor plan photo

I have dimming wall sconces on the sides of where the screen will be as well as two matching on the back wall. Distance between the two sconces is ~110" and floor to ceiling height is right about 90". All lighting is recessed can lights so it is unobstructed wall to wall. Ceiling is painted with a matte white.

Another view of the wall. Eventually this side of the room will have built in book cases and will house media components. Ignore the bounce house, the little kids were jumping around last night.

Family room looking into the media room.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Parker Lewis posted:

I just replaced my ~4 year old Mitsubishi HC7800D with a Sony HW40ES and it seems time to finally do something about the reflected light with my setup:

I'm projecting from around 13' onto a 110" Elite 1.1 gain screen; reflected light from the light-colored carpet, ceiling, and adjacent wall have always been an issue but the Sony is quite a bit brighter than my older projector so it's even more noticeable now. Ambient light is a non issue so I'm really just trying to reduce the light that's getting bounced back onto the screen. We watch the projector with all the lights off, usually at night.

I'd like to improve the projector viewing experience but haven't figured out a way to darken the walls/ceiling/floor in a way that wouldn't make the basement look weird when we're down there with lights on and not watching the projector.

The basement runs the length of the house and I don't want to replace the entire drop ceiling but I'm open to maybe painting the wall behind the screen and the one that's perpendicular to the screen; I'm not sure what to do about the ceiling/carpet other than maybe painting or putting fabric over the first few rows of drop ceiling tiles.

Any suggestions?

I went with a wife approved way which works very well:

Only the walls that are adjacent to the projector wall are colored and I have a 3' black stripe on the ceiling, kind of hard to see in this photo.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:
If I have the budget, is there a reason not to get a projector like the Epson 5025UB over the BenQ HT1075?

The layout of my room is a little complex and it has coffered ceilings, which makes placement a bit complex, especially combined with my less than square walls. It seems that the Epson is much more flexible with screen sizes and lens shift. Plus, free lamp with the current rebates.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

ShotgunWillie posted:

If I have the budget, is there a reason not to get a projector like the Epson 5025UB over the BenQ HT1075?

The layout of my room is a little complex and it has coffered ceilings, which makes placement a bit complex, especially combined with my less than square walls. It seems that the Epson is much more flexible with screen sizes and lens shift. Plus, free lamp with the current rebates.

No. The 5025 is a superior projector.

News for the thread: I'm officially out of the projector business. For those who guessed: yes, I worked at Projector Central.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Well... that explains a lot. Can you give me some advice on what kind of projector I should buy as a VJ? Everyone indicates 3-5k lumens is what I want but I have to travel around with it, so ruggedness / size is also a factor.
Was looking at this one - which seems to fit the bill. I don't understand why there is such a huge discrepancy from the retail to the street price however.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

King Hotpants posted:

No. The 5025 is a superior projector.

News for the thread: I'm officially out of the projector business. For those who guessed: yes, I worked at Projector Central.

Thanks. Sorry about your job?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ShotgunWillie posted:

Thanks. Sorry about your job?

And/or congratulations, possibly.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
I can't talk about it right now, but it'll be a hell of a story at some point.

I know there are outstanding questions in this thread and I'll get to them soon. Thanks everyone.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Heavy teasing.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I got reminded why I don't go to the theater these days. I went to see Star Wars and my setup at home looked better. I don't loving get it. I miss film projection so bad.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

King Hotpants posted:

I can't talk about it right now, but it'll be a hell of a story at some point.

I know there are outstanding questions in this thread and I'll get to them soon. Thanks everyone.

Thank you!! You are a gentlemen among goons . . . or something like that.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
4000 lumens and a good ol' burning filament with the BenQ MH741, or everlasting 1400 lumens and fancy LED technology with the LG PF1500? Hmmmm decisions decisions

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I like the PF1500 but think I'll wait until something similar can do 4K and is brighter.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
How long do people think it will be before we see affordable (~1k) 4k projectors?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Uncle Ivan posted:

How long do people think it will be before we see affordable (~1k) 4k projectors?

I think itll be 3-5 years.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I am so excited to finally post in this thread! Just this month we finished out our basement which has a place for a dedicated "media" room. I will be needing to purchase a screen, projector and any applicable mounting brackets. I have read through this thread and see a lot of info. Hopefully by giving you details on my setup will garner some good suggestions.

What's your budget?
Realistically between projector and screen and misc hardware for mounting etc I would not be opposed to spending up to $3000-3500 USD. If something costs less and will still yield great results I am okay with that.

Intended sources -- what are you going to watch/play/do?
A lot of streaming mostly through AppleTV; BluRay and DVD. Very little/no broadcast stuff. We don't have any cable/sat TV. I might occasionally turn on my XBOX 360 but unlikely since it has been on one time since we built our home over 2 1/2 years ago. I care not one little bit about 3D anything.

How big of a picture do you want? "I don't care/Big" is an acceptable answer
As big as I can fit (see photos and layout). I would be okay with a permanent mounted screen or a screen that can go up into a "box" if it is not too obtrusive and doesn't degrade the viewing experience

Are you going to use a screen? (if you already own a screen, how big/what kind/what gain, if known?)
Yes I intend to use a screen. I am willing to build/make my own if that means better, or buying a pre-done unit if a nominal fee/advantage over making my own.

What are the restrictions, if any, on placement?

None. I have power and HMDI cables run to where the projector will be mounted and plan on running those through a receiver (next on my list of things to research)

Photos!

Floor plan of my basement, the media room in the center. I have pre-wired it for 7.2 surround. Light from window sources will not be a problem. The bedrooms all have doors that close. the two that are in the family room have blinds and are on the north side of the house so night time watching will be perfect. Distance from back wall to wall for screen is slightly over 14 feet. The screen will be on the wall with the side that has stairs. Projector will be on the side that is on the "top" of the floor plan photo

I have dimming wall sconces on the sides of where the screen will be as well as two matching on the back wall. Distance between the two sconces is ~110" and floor to ceiling height is right about 90". All lighting is recessed can lights so it is unobstructed wall to wall. Ceiling is painted with a matte white.

Another view of the wall. Eventually this side of the room will have built in book cases and will house media components. Ignore the bounce house, the little kids were jumping around last night.

Family room looking into the media room.

Anyone smarter than myself have an idea for a good option? Looking around it seems like the BenQ might be the best given my space constraints. That Epson 5025 wouldn't be out of my budget and I would be willing to go for that if it is that much better but I think it might have too large of a picture at the distance I will be from the screen.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Anyone smarter than myself have an idea for a good option? Looking around it seems like the BenQ might be the best given my space constraints. That Epson 5025 wouldn't be out of my budget and I would be willing to go for that if it is that much better but I think it might have too large of a picture at the distance I will be from the screen.

I just ordered it. One of the reasons I got it was that it has a much wider zoom range compared to the w1070 and its ilk.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Anyone have suggestions to fix this issue on a w1070: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/1910505-benq-w1070-color-issue.html

?

I've tried all color settings I can think of. Starting to think it's a hardware issue. Lamp has four hours on it and the issue was happening with the original lamp as well.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
I know this is more for home theater than office projectors, but just a heads up to anyone shopping for "large venue" business projectors, the Epson Z9870UNL is no where near its rated output. Got one in for testing and put it side by side with a 6000 lumen Sony we already had and it wasn't even close. Epson's color reproduction wasn't great either. On the plus side the Epson had one of the easiest to swap lenses I've encountered. I was wary of Epson to begin with, but at the price point our vendor said they could get is we figured we'd check it out, but there seems like there is a good reason it's cheap.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Earlier this week, our apartment was broken into and out 46 inch LED TV was stolen. We're looking for something to replace it, at least temporarily till we move out in a few months, and a friend of mine showed us the LG PW800 Minibeam projector. We've never had a projector before, but were interested in trying one out. At $700 for this one, it seems like a reasonable trade-off between quality and price before we go whole-hog and invest in a big fancy one for a home theater setup when we move into an actual house. Has anyone had experience with the PW800? I mostly just wanna know if it's utter poo poo or not before I go buying one. I found this review here of it, is it fairly accurate? What else should I know or keep in mind?

•What's your budget?
cheaper is better for now. >$1000 preffered.
•Intended sources -- what are you going to watch/play/do?
90% TV, possibly some DVDs
•How big of a picture do you want? "I don't care/Big" is an acceptable answer
at least 46 inches, bigger is ok.
•Are you going to use a screen? (if you already own a screen, how big/what kind/what gain, if known?)
not at the moment. It's something we could save up for though. The walls are off-white/tan
•What are the restrictions, if any, on placement?
none, really. I don't have exact room measurements, but I was going to basically move the projector around till the picture was the size placement I wanted, then add shelving for the projector in that spot.

While a TV would probably be more suited to what we want and/or are used to, we want to go with a projector for now because it's portable and can be put away when not in use, so people can't see it when they look in through our windows while we're at work.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That's practically a novelty projector, I'd buy a real one for that much money. You can put a regular projector in a drawer just as easily.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

revmoo posted:

That's practically a novelty projector, I'd buy a real one for that much money. You can put a regular projector in a drawer just as easily.

What would you recommend at a similar price point?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

neogeo0823 posted:

What would you recommend at a similar price point?

This thread likes to jerk off about the W1070 at the expense of just about any other rmodel. It's a decent projector but I didn't find it very impressive. I'd use the projectorcentral calculator to figure out what you need for your room and then look through reviews of the models that fit the bill for throw, size, and brightness. Those are your key variables you need to figure out before choosing a model.

I will add, if you plan on using a projector a lot, I'd plan on just buying a whole new unit every year or so and just sell the old one to recoup some cash. Easier than dealing with long-term projector issues like dust buildup, color wheel problems, fan issues, etc etc loving etc. Do the math on $/hr and figure out what makes sense for you.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I pre ordered a Samsung 4kUHD player. I have a fake 4k (e-shift) projector, and I have an HDCP 2.2 converter. Theoretically I should be able to use this two ways: 1. Run it at 4k at 8 bit color or 2. run it downscaled to 1080p with 10 (12?) bit color. Number two is the big question, so I'll let anyone know how it goes for those that have a similar setup. I'm also not sure about wider gamuts as I haven't looked that deeply.

Floofy
Jan 17, 2004
I've got an epson 5020ub that seems to have died on me. I was using it last night, no problem. Went to turn it on today, two red lights came on after the unit powered on and the fan spooled up, and shut the machine down. According to the manual, if the unplug/replug in method of repair doesn't work, it's an 'internal problem'.

I've had this issue once before, and unplug/replug fix did work, but not this time.

It's about 2.5 years old, so it's off warranty. I've called epson and they referred me to a repair place for an estimate on repair, but who knows when i'll be able get ahold of them and get their quote.

Anyone else have an experience like this?

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -