Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Trabant posted:

You are clearly not a l33t haxx0r :smuggo:

Those are clearly from the movie Hackers and are amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

KozmoNaut posted:

:love: hotdog stand Windows 3.11

Hey now, silver-faced wood-cabinetted hifi gear still looks awesome today :colbert:

I saw a guy on the train this morning with headphones that had faux wood panels on them.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Toast Museum posted:

Please be considerate and include 56k no in your subject lines.

I think the new 56k warning should be about people on cell phones using a data plan instead. That's where I've heard the most complaints about large images or GIFs in recent memory.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I'm the teardrop d-pad.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ozz81 posted:

I think the new 56k warning should be about people on cell phones using a data plan instead. That's where I've heard the most complaints about large images or GIFs in recent memory.

A "mobile unfriendly" tag isn't the stupidest idea. I'm on an unlimited LTE plan now and so give zero shits, but a few years ago I was on a limited data plan and I loaded up a page to find several hundreds of megabytes of animated GIFs dumped into it. I could have been well hosed if I hadn't been using it lightly that month - the total was more than half my available data for the month.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Ozz81 posted:

The awful app automatically just gives a grey box with ".gif" written on it so if you want to load a 50mb gif it's up to you.

I like that feature. I only have 5gb of 4g before it drops to 33.6kb/s.

33.6. not even 56k. One of these months I should go over my data cap just to remember the bad old days of the early Internet. Now if only I can make my phone automatically make the dial up sound when using slow data.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

AA is for Quitters posted:

The awful app automatically just gives a grey box with ".gif" written on it so if you want to load a 50mb gif it's up to you.

33.6. not even 56k. One of these months I should go over my data cap just to remember the bad old days of the early Internet. Now if only I can make my phone automatically make the dial up sound when using slow data.

See if you can get it to stream the sound, you're not supposed to be able to use the internet while it makes its screechy noises.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Athenry posted:

Pretty sure that predates Bob, but yeah. There's a reason we've moved away from such things.

You know what they say, go long enough in one direction and you end up right where you were.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

One of these months I should go over my data cap just to remember the bad old days of the early Internet.
The thing is it will be much worse than it was back then because it's a different internet now, and without broadband many websites just aren't usable at all anymore.

A few years ago (for some work related task I can't remember the purpose of) I had to visit a bunch of popular websites and measure how much data was used to load the desktop and mobile versions of each. I remember being surprised at just how big the html content alone could be: usually between 100 and 500kB but sometimes over a megabyte - just the main html file - that means over 3 minutes to load a webpage on 56k even if you've disabled images, JavaScript, stylesheets and plugins. I don't remember the dialup days being quite that bad.

I've also noticed that many internet plans now limit you to something more realistic like 256kbit when you reach your cap - I'm guessing that's because intention is to give you something usable to use until your cap resets and 56kbit doesn't qualify anymore.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

WebDog posted:

Early 90's skeuomorphic interface design was pretty mental.

Still a thing in the world of car audio, unfortunately minus all the skilled people.

A touchscreen interface designed for use in a car.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The_Franz posted:

They are really ugly now, but in the mid-90s when the alternative was Win95 with it's gray and green color scheme and dithering, seeing desktops like that was pretty impressive. Remember that at one point people thought that having orange shag carpet on every surface of a house and fake wood grain on everything with an electronic circuit looked good too.

Yes I remember the now :mmmhmm:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

AWFUL., however does not. But I shouldn't talk about Windows phones in this thread.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
I started using Winump again recently because I'm downloading lots of old records digitized off tape poo poo that isn't even on local spotify analogues. Also speaking of old games I got this Japanese program that patches executables so they can use Winamp to play mp3s instead of looking for and failing to find an actual CD, it has an internal player but it's buggy so that's another reason for Winamp. The skin looks like this:

That Japanese program has a huge rear end list of games in an ini file, developers with names like Black Cyc, Dress, Silky's Zeus, BLACK PACKAGE TRY, Artdink, otherwise, BunnyPro, Cat's Pro, CRIME, and "bags".

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

loga mira posted:

I started using Winump again recently because I'm downloading lots of old records digitized off tape poo poo that isn't even on local spotify analogues. Also speaking of old games I got this Japanese program that patches executables so they can use Winamp to play mp3s instead of looking for and failing to find an actual CD, it has an internal player but it's buggy so that's another reason for Winamp. The skin looks like this:

That Japanese program has a huge rear end list of games in an ini file, developers with names like Black Cyc, Dress, Silky's Zeus, BLACK PACKAGE TRY, Artdink, otherwise, BunnyPro, Cat's Pro, CRIME, and "bags".

I'm not going to try to read the titles (apart from televisor that just jumped out at me) and just assume all the tracks sound like http://proteys.info/404/

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just realized I haven't used Itunes in over a year since whenever I need music at the PC I just leave that open in a tab (yes it's the first link on my boomarks bar). Itunes = obsolete.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

That poo poo dont open for me. Someone actually uploaded the last track to youtube, kinda late 80s soviet synth pop? made by students probably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZO54tpDtNE

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

loga mira posted:

That poo poo dont open for me.

:ironicat:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Fuzz1111 posted:

The thing is it will be much worse than it was back then because it's a different internet now, and without broadband many websites just aren't usable at all anymore.

A few years ago (for some work related task I can't remember the purpose of) I had to visit a bunch of popular websites and measure how much data was used to load the desktop and mobile versions of each. I remember being surprised at just how big the html content alone could be: usually between 100 and 500kB but sometimes over a megabyte - just the main html file - that means over 3 minutes to load a webpage on 56k even if you've disabled images, JavaScript, stylesheets and plugins. I don't remember the dialup days being quite that bad.

I've also noticed that many internet plans now limit you to something more realistic like 256kbit when you reach your cap - I'm guessing that's because intention is to give you something usable to use until your cap resets and 56kbit doesn't qualify anymore.

This reminds me about a feature I miss: putting your Palm into its cradle and syncing all of your content overnight or whenever to read offline. I wish I could do that with the Awful app and then read whatever I cached in the subway, but alas.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

KozmoNaut posted:

Oh yeah, I remember Sonique:

And K-Jofol:

Bonus hideous Linux window manager crap theme in that last one. Feast your eyes on a whole website full of the most offensive desktop themes ever: http://xwinman.org/

I mean seriously, how can anyone stand a desktop that looks like this?

Man this takes me back

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I had the games folder background set up as a repeating picture of Richard Nixon's face on my dad's OS/2 box because that was the only image I had.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

0toShifty posted:

Linux is not the can of worms it used to be. Remember when no linux distribution would startx by default? Remember when ONLY FOOLS used a GUI? SLACKWARE! CALDERA! CONFIGURE GRUB! Mandrake?

Now you can just run Ubuntu off a Live USB or Live CD - run chrome, install apps *AHEM* packages from repositories over the internet fairly easily.

Now everybody uses Linux. Except they don't know it. They say iphone suck because MY SAMSUNG oh you have a DROID? LOL @ U (yes, the average dumbass out there doesn't know that Samsung Galaxy phones and Motorola's Droid both run Android)

My first PC was a Packard Bell Pentium 75. It had PACKARD BELL NAVIGATOR! That poo poo made sense. What's this windows garbage? PC trying to be like the mac and amiga? Navigator is the FUTURE!

I remember looking at brochures of some of this stuff when my family was looking at computers in '95 or so. (We ended up with a Power Mac.)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

This reminds me about a feature I miss: putting your Palm into its cradle and syncing all of your content overnight or whenever to read offline. I wish I could do that with the Awful app and then read whatever I cached in the subway, but alas.

Heh. Back in the day when I only had a 286 and a 9600 baud modem, I used a DOS menu program to run a task at 3:00 AM, which would then run a script based terminal (RoboTerm) which would log onto my BBSes, upload my responses in QWK packets, download all the new posts (QWK again), then import them all into a database driven QWK reader. I did this since it took FOREVER by hand. Then I could sit down and read and respond at my leisure. I even had internet email via FidoNet and a BBS two states away with a working gateway!

(I also used to run a WWIV BBS, with FidoNet hacked in, back in the 2400 baud days.)

Samizdata has a new favorite as of 10:09 on Dec 29, 2015

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Speaking of obsolete technology, I ised to LOVE playing these games when they first came out:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exile_(video_game_series) they were SO FUN. I don't even want to calculate the sheer amount of time I spent playing them.
You might want to check this out then: http://store.steampowered.com/app/337850/

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

WebDog posted:

However that was nothing compared to the 00's chunky, round and glossy interface phase that dominated most skinnable apps of the day. A large influence came from Apple's translucent plastic look and I suspect hi-fi systems of the day given the music centric nature of these apps. This "high-tech" look also introduced the evils of pixel fonts in a poor attempt to slim down increasingly busy and overcrowded interfaces.

To this day I still see 'skinnable' as a dirty word... I remember using some terrible software and loving it because at least it used something sort of like a standard windows UI. Miranda IM comes to mind...

loga mira posted:

That poo poo dont open for me. Someone actually uploaded the last track to youtube, kinda late 80s soviet synth pop? made by students probably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZO54tpDtNE

IT's using a tech that belongs in this thread, Flash.

Keiya has a new favorite as of 14:42 on Dec 29, 2015

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Keiya posted:

To this day I still see 'skinnable' as a dirty word...
Lest we forget the visual nightmares of WindowBlinds skins. Which I admit was hot poo poo back in 2000 when you could "turn" Windows 98 into a look-a-like XP or Mac OS.

This kind of sums up what you generally got at the time, either nice-ish knockoffs of existing OS's - or something that wasn't the standard grey boxes of Win98.

Or stuff like this which covers a good 90% of all the popular skins designed by a kid armed with Photoshop after seeing The Matrix one too many times, then branded with "do not stealz" tagz.

These are both from 2015.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

WebDog posted:

Lest we forget the visual nightmares of WindowBlinds skins. Which I admit was hot poo poo back in 2000 when you could "turn" Windows 98 into a look-a-like XP or Mac OS.

This kind of sums up what you generally got at the time, either nice-ish knockoffs of existing OS's - or something that wasn't the standard grey boxes of Win98.

Or stuff like this which covers a good 90% of all the popular skins designed by a kid armed with Photoshop after seeing The Matrix one too many times, then branded with "do not stealz" tagz.

Theres something about XP that just feels really comforting looking back now. Probably as that was the time I built my first PC that could actually run modern games.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

WebDog posted:

The first one can be salvaged.
-loving return that Start bar to normal first and not a picture of the front of your PC case.
-Change the Min/Max/Close buttons back to normal.
-Change the directory bar to look like Search in the Start menu.

Also WindowBlinds is still loving around?!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Stardock software always seemed massively hackey to me, never seemed to fully work well.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Croccers posted:

Also WindowBlinds is still loving around?!

Brad Wardell still needs funds for all those sexual harassment lawsuits, don't forget.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

lol at anyone who kept using windowblinds after the uxtheme dll patcher came around.

also lol at anyone who fusses over skinning their OS, really. What a waste of time and effort that was.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I used Windowblinds to make my Win98 system look like Mac OS 7, BeOS for a bit, a dark NextStep theme and the QNX UI, whatever it was called. I used to love that poo poo. I also, at one point, installed BeOS and had it running reasonably well, in between Windows betas of ME, 2000 and XP. I liked the original Whistler UI theme and was sad when they dropped it just before release.

These days I pretty much don't give a gently caress beyond a nice naturey wallpaper and maybe a darker/less saturated window decorations option in whatever OS.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

sinking belle posted:

also lol at anyone who fusses over skinning their OS, really. What a waste of time and effort that was.

I always switch the Start Menu and Task Bar back to the Windows 95 look. Does that count?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Antifreeze Head posted:

I always switch the Start Menu and Task Bar back to the Windows 95 look. Does that count?
No, because that is a Correct thing to do when you're on computer.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

SLOSifl posted:

I used Windowblinds to make my Win98 system look like Mac OS 7, BeOS for a bit, a dark NextStep theme and the QNX UI, whatever it was called. I used to love that poo poo. I also, at one point, installed BeOS and had it running reasonably well, in between Windows betas of ME, 2000 and XP. I liked the original Whistler UI theme and was sad when they dropped it just before release.

These days I pretty much don't give a gently caress beyond a nice naturey wallpaper and maybe a darker/less saturated window decorations option in whatever OS.

There was a Max OS 7 extension called Kaleidoscope that did something similar.

I finally settled on using the Platinum theme, which was taken from version 1.0 of Mac OS X server; which probably also belongs in this thread.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhapsody_(operating_system)

The first release of OS X was this, which was the first release after Apple bought NextStep and brought Steve Jobs back. Its this weird in between thing that looks like Mac OS 9 and before, but has the underpinnings of OS X.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

There was another entire line that was supposed to succeed System 7, codenamed Copland. It included pre-emptive multitasking and protected memory, which was a huge shortcoming in System 7 (and Mac OS 8, the real one). From a high level perspective, Copland was going for the the same idea as Mach/NeXT with a microkernel architecture and a similar approach to shared libraries and sandboxing. It was shitcanned and a few ideas ended up in the actual released Mac OS 8, which was a refresh of System 7.

edit: While fact-checking myself I noticed that Apple was apparently considering acquiring or working with Be, Inc. while shopping around for what would eventually become OS X. Be was started by another previous Apple exec from the 80s, the one behind the Newton, Jean-Louis Gassée. The journaled file system was hot poo poo at the time, but NTFS has been as capable as far as metadata and alternate streams for a long time, it's just that nobody cares to use those things anymore. NeXT got us app and framework bundles which are probably more useful in real-world use than BeFS.

Those tabs though:

There were also hidden themes to make it look like Windows 95 (Redmond) or System 7 (I forget, probably Cupertino). There was another too, I forget which - maybe OpenStep?

edit2: Found it - Amiga was the third option.

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 21:45 on Dec 29, 2015

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

SLOSifl posted:

edit: While fact-checking myself I noticed that Apple was apparently considering acquiring or working with Be, Inc. while shopping around for what would eventually become OS X. Be was started by another previous Apple exec from the 80s, the one behind the Newton, Jean-Louis Gassée. The journaled file system was hot poo poo at the time, but NTFS has been as capable as far as metadata and alternate streams for a long time, it's just that nobody cares to use those things anymore. NeXT got us app and framework bundles which are probably more useful in real-world use than BeFS.

NTFS, yes, but the rest of the software stack no. Can Explorer even display that stuff?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Keiya posted:

NTFS, yes, but the rest of the software stack no. Can Explorer even display that stuff?
Explore doesn't provide an interface no. However, there's nothing else in the way as far as the OS goes.

You can use powershell to access streams pretty trivially:
code:
PS C:\dev> Set-Content -Path test.txt

cmdlet Set-Content at command pipeline position 1
Supply values for the following parameters:
Value[0]: Hello, World
Value[1]:
PS C:\dev> Get-Content -Path test.txt
Hello, World
PS C:\dev> Set-Content -Path test.txt -Stream "Something Else"

cmdlet Set-Content at command pipeline position 1
Supply values for the following parameters:
Value[0]: Hello other streams
Value[1]:
PS C:\dev> Get-Content -Path test.txt
Hello, World
PS C:\dev> Get-Content -Path test.txt -Stream "Something Else"
Hello other streams
PS C:\dev> Get-Item -Path test.txt -Stream *

FileName: C:\dev\test.txt

Stream                   Length
------                   ------
:$DATA                       14
Something Else               21
And in fact that is where information about downloads is stored - how Explorer knows to prompt you when running downloaded applications. So yes and no I guess.

code:
PS J:\downloads> Get-Content -Path SpotifySetup.exe -Stream Zone.Identifier
[ZoneTransfer]
ZoneId=3

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Compare that to Tracker, though.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Yeah, that was a selling point for BeOS and BeFS, but the actual underlying technology is there to be used in Windows and has been for a long time. If someone wrote a nice interface or Explorer plug-in for managing ADS it could theoretically be used in the same way.

We have pretty much the same abilities with modern OS-level indexing which can be filesystem agnostic and detached from the underlying file tables.

I'm not saying Tracker didn't make good use of FS metadata, but at the same time it's hard to imagine a real use-case in which storing contacts as empty files with a ton of attribute makes any actual sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
It's a way to have something kind of like WinFS (something that should have come true, drat it!) where you can use the file-system as a richer data store than just a Unix-style bag of bits, with the stream system allowing keyed storage, which isn't quite as good as a fully relational file system would be.