Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Vermain posted:

It's such a weird desire considering that just about every piece of science fiction media that features actual-for-serious spaceship dogfights just more or less flips Newtonian physics the bird. Even programs like Gundam that go out of their way to explain why you even have dogfights in space end up loving with the physics to achieve something that's artistically presentable. Trying to cater to people who want ultra-realistic physics simulations and to people who want fun, action-oriented gameplay results in a dog's breakfast of garbage that will satisfy neither side, as this game is rapidly proving.

They should just make the handling fun and cool and when McSperger pops up with a 'Hmm well according to my calculations...' they should just flick a cigarette at him and say 'prove it nerd' then roundhouse kick his face in the face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/3ygoij/ds_hasnt_talked_about_star_citizen_in_a_while/cydyt91

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

MeLKoR posted:

In that case the UEE is completely hosed. But wasn't the UEE supposed to be Space Rome and the Vanduul the Space Vandals? How come the space barbarians are so far ahead technologically? And do they place those fake thrusters on their ships for nostalgia's sake? Why do their space magic ships still handle like rear end?

Because cocaine.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

",,,would be neat if this included even just one PG rocky planet to land on sometime in the next year. omg,,, that would be so amazing:D"

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

That poll is the strongest proof, to me, that all possible outcomes for SC, from it being released as an actually good game(LOL) to roberts and friends being arrested for money laundering and tax evasion, lead to delicious schadenfreude.

The best outcome for cultists is, in my opinion, for the game to never come out. That way they can at least try to blame someone else for it's failure. But even if it comes out as the best game ever made(lol), they will have to deal with the realization that it's not as good as they imagined... There's a reason managing expectations is a major part of IP management and marketing. If you oversell your product, people start actively avoiding it rather than just ignoring it-- not that it matters when there is no product...

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

I'm going to say it again, 2016 is going to be very interesting.

Sale is going well, they'll reach 104 million in a few hours. I think 2016 is going to be hilarious, people are going to expect poo poo to get fixed in a few months and then they'll be expecting SQ42. The only thing I'm sure they'll get are plenty of sales.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D_Smart posted:

No, they do not. And no it's not.

Values in data files are no indication of actual engine implementation. Heck, try it yourself. Those files are not encrypted or protected. Just zero out the values for your ship. Then go fly it.

And if they were accurate in any way, shape or form, the loss of an engine would completely kill any form of thrust since they would be non-existent without the engine. I've written several flight dynamics engines. I know these things.

Fair enough. I don't know how to edit the files, so if you could go into this a bit more it would probably be a pretty damning example of how CIG is saying one thing and delivering another.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Grinder Citizen :chord:

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I've got building a city chunk down to less than six hours. I'm not pleased with all the buildings - some of them need improvement, but...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MeLKoR posted:

Assuming a $250 Constellation really does take around 60 hours to earn (that's a very old number) then you're looking at an earning rate of around $4 per hour. Most games value their player's time at less than that. WoW is less than a $1 per hour while grind-fest MWO and WoT are around $2. Either the 60 hour number is bullshit (and CIG intends to have ships take forever to earn), or the current prices are stupid high.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Decrepus posted:

In the Sandi Learns to Fly show (was there more than one of these?) the guy showing her how to fly even says "if you turn you will see the thrusters fire and if you continue to turn they will stop firing since in space there is no air resistance to stop your turn" which is nonsensical obviously. They continue to fire the whole time he is turning which disproves exactly what he is saying and if they continued to fire, like they did, he would continue to turn faster and faster, which he did not.

The problem with visually depicting the proper thrust is that it would actually look pretty horrible (trust me this is how I first did it, and is still pretty easy to switch back to as I’m actually doing some extra work to make the visuals looks nicer).

The reason is because there is no drag in space, so even a micro amount of thrust starts the Hornet (or any spaceship) rotating until you apply counter thrust. So what is really happening is that the flight control system is always applying micro thrust and counter thrust to achieve the pilot’s inputs. This results in the thrusters flickering off and on in micro amounts and you actually not getting a good feel of the general application of thrust. I think you know I like things to look cool (come on, we all know you probably wouldn’t be engaging in space dogfights at WW2 speeds, but it’s so much more fun than what the reality would probably be), so what happens is that the system is still modeled accurately, but I use the angular /linear velocity delta to drive the visual representation of thrust. Here’s my code comment

//Note the thrustGoal is actually the linear velocity delta (desired vel – current vel of
//the vehicle & rotational vel rather than the actual linear & angular acceleration / thrust. //This is because, while inaccurate its cooler to see more constant thrust that gives
//you a visual clue as to what correctional movement / velocity vectors the vehicle is using.
//If we just used the acceleration as opposed to the desired velocity correction, the thruster flames
//would flicker on and off – especially in the Wing Commander use case of Space, where
//there is no atmosphere to provide drag.
//
//Of course if you pass the actual accelerations to SetThrustGoal, then you’ll get an accurate //visual representation of what a thruster would really do

I hope that clears up any confusion!

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Mirificus posted:

It turns out that the $1-2 option is broken and there are many who would have voted for that or even less if they could.

I have a question about this now, too. Let's say that I bought an entry level ship for 35 bucks or whatever, and then I go about my business in the 'verse, ramming people, shooting up peaceful stations and the like and then some griefer blows my ship to smithereens. If I have no insurance, I now have no ship and no money. Everything I've heard points to you requiring a ship to make money, haul goods, whatever, so how the hell can I even play the game with no ship? Also, will I be expected to do stupid mini games or act as a turret gunner for other useless human beings at less than 2 dollars per hour to the tune of 15 hours just to get another lovely entry-level ship? I have a feeling most people would look at the prospect and just uninstall the game.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mirificus posted:

It turns out that the $1-2 option is broken and there are many who would have voted for that or even less if they could.

Those dumb rear end motherfuckers. Motherfuckers

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Either the 60 hour number is bullshit (and CIG intends to have ships take forever to earn), or the current prices are stupid high.

Why can't it be both?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Natron posted:

I have a question about this now, too. Let's say that I bought an entry level ship for 35 bucks or whatever, and then I go about my business in the 'verse, ramming people, shooting up peaceful stations and the like and then some griefer blows my ship to smithereens. If I have no insurance, I now have no ship and no money. Everything I've heard points to you requiring a ship to make money, haul goods, whatever, so how the hell can I even play the game with no ship? Also, will I be expected to do stupid mini games or act as a turret gunner for other useless human beings at less than 2 dollars per hour to the tune of 15 hours just to get another lovely entry-level ship? I have a feeling most people would look at the prospect and just uninstall the game.

Ah, I see the misconception.

None of this matters because they have no design document for the game.

This is normal.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

MeLKoR posted:

That's the other thing, they claim the ships move like poo poo because of all these problems with thruster placement but not even NASA could make the Scythe fly. Just look at that poo poo, there is no way on god's green earth that ship's mass and thrusters are being modeled.

:cmon:
I am pretty sure that the CIG physics guy already said in an ATV interview (or something like that) that the Scythe "cheats" by having symmetrical mass as far as the physics engine is concerned.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Natron posted:

If you ever have a question like this just look up how Elite Dangerous does it because they'll just rip it off wholesale anyway

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Control theory is an utter bitch to get right, even in a vacuum. Start loving things up by having thrusters get damaged and your life becomes even more of a nightmare.

Frankly I think their physical thruster model will be the first thing they nuke when it comes time to finally start culling features. It's stupidly complex, provides little benefit to the player over simply using pre-set pitch/roll/yaw rates, utterly fucks over balance, and is completely incompatible with their current pipeline that starts with concept art and ends with engineering. IMO there's one simple change that would dramatically improve things and could also be explained in lore; make it so that quantum drives work by "grappling" with nearby gravitational fields and thus can be used directly for pitch/roll/yaw like an internal gyro. Currently there are three forms of control motion (at least this is what Pritchett said last year). Large thrusters move the ship, maneuvering thrusters precisely control orientation, and then there's an internal gyro. If instead they simply said the gyro was powerful enough to do whatever it wanted and that the thrusters were only used for gross motion then they could dramatically reduce their workload. Precise control would be directly handled by the gyro (and would automatically compensate for any rotation induced by thrusters firing) while your thrusters can still shoot around and let your shift move forward/back and strafe. Far easier to handle, you can introduce different quantum drives to change performance (balancing quantum travel with maneuverability), and you can balance values by tweaking an XML file instead of having to re-engineer the whole loving ship.

But what the gently caress do I know, I'm not a visionary game developer.

They already have to an extent. The thrusters are not in the same spot as the models, and some of the ships have the incorrect number of them.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

MeLKoR posted:

Was hoping for Grindr Citizen :regd09:

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Wookie Bouquet posted:

Was hoping for Grindr Citizen :regd09:

Have you seen the average citizen?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Assuming a $250 Constellation really does take around 60 hours to earn (that's a very old number) then you're looking at an earning rate of around $4 per hour.

The ships are going to cost 3X the current price so make that 190 hours for a Kony with no insurance. :whip:

~*Save the Whales*~

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Libluini posted:

gently caress this thruster-bullshit. Now I want a space sim simulating the most exotic bullshit you can think of. Why isn't there a game where I can fly a death ship dragged through space by a artificial black hole projected in front? :mad:

Star Citizen will have this, just ask Roberts.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

Roflan posted:

Have you seen the average citizen?

Nobody's perfect.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Natron posted:

Did you buy insurance? If not, you are an irresponsible ship owner. Now, go make drinks on a space liner for a while. Pull yourself up by your bootstraps, man!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Decrepus posted:

In the Sandi Learns to Fly show (was there more than one of these?) the guy showing her how to fly even says "if you turn you will see the thrusters fire and if you continue to turn they will stop firing since in space there is no air resistance to stop your turn" which is nonsensical obviously. They continue to fire the whole time he is turning which disproves exactly what he is saying and if they continued to fire, like they did, he would continue to turn faster and faster, which he did not.

Star citizens developers learned physics from star citizens.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

If the game is ever released, the original backers will be such a terrible menace to newcomers that the community itself will eliminate new people coming to the game. They all have a "got mine, gently caress you" mentality while claiming they want to just fund the game. They literally paid to win and dont even want other people to have the option to do so.

Of course.... that assumes the game comes out, they fix the easy as gently caress stealing mechanics, LTI isn't just the easiest way to dupe ships, the economy works, the gameplay works, stable servers with more than 3 people in an instance, etc

i literally can go on for ages. it would take me longer to list star citizens shortcomings than its been in development (4 months, Ive been told)

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Eonwe posted:

I hope to spend 300 hours to get a midrange ship

You wish, casual.

If the ships cost 3x as much to buy in game, and the requested 50c/hour value of playtime comes to pass, it will take 1200 hours to earn a Constellation Taurus. Barely over a year at 20 hours a week.

This is part of the glorious realism and immersion Christ Crobbits has built for us, since it takes the average star shitizen over a years worth of minimum wage and or disability checks in order to afford a 12 year old Ford Taurus.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

FrankieGoes posted:

You wish, casual.

If the ships cost 3x as much to buy in game, and the requested 50c/hour value of playtime comes to pass, it will take 1200 hours to earn a Constellation Taurus. Barely over a year at 20 hours a week.

This is part of the glorious realism and immersion Christ Crobbits has built for us, since it takes the average star shitizen over a years worth of minimum wage and or disability checks in order to afford a 12 year old Ford Taurus.

god, can you imagine how many helmet flips, wake up animations, ladder climbing and chair rotating animations you'll have to sit through to play the game

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I look forward to them trying to wrangle people to try their game when you can be drat sure it will only be available through CIG directly. No chance in hell they would allow Valve to take a 30% cut to have it on Steam.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
I am doing research into this game and I have questions. Does the "Moon Theme" from the old Ducktales NES game play just at the end or every time it glitches? Is the game so expensive because they had to license that song?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Also hi Peter, how is tricks man

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

D_Smart posted:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08815227/filing-history

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08882924/filing-history

What's interesting to me is the shares being transferred or sold back to the company. That's one way of taking money out of the company. As a private company, this doesn't raise any eyebrows at all. And only the backers or their attorneys and govt. officials will bother to delve in that if/when the whole thing collapses.

They had to perform the transaction at a fair market value anyway. It's not really any different to taking the cash out as dividends or salary with the exception that the individuals are likely to pay less tax in capital gains than as income tax.

What was most likely the cause was the realisation of their messed up company structure and planning an application for the uk video games tax relief and where all the money was going. In 2015 one of the companies would have had to spend all that money on the motion capture. This would appear to be Chris' baby and it would make sense if the filming was in England and it was for the game Squadron 42 that was being developed by Foundry 42 that the company be part of the group under ultimate control of Chris and not in theoretical control of Erin et al.

To qualify for the tax relief I believe one company (can only be Foundry 42?) has to be in complete control from conception to completion of the video game (Squadron 42?) and it appears this would require some fudging to achieve this. Such things as the kickstarter pre-dating the incorporation date of Foundry 42 would seem to make this tricky but I have no idea where this might go. When I contacted the BBFC to try and obtain some information I got no information really but slowly more and more higher up people at the BBFC were copied to the emails but they couldn't answer any questions about interim certification with regard to this lot and in light of that I decided there was no point following this rabbit trail.

If anyone ever actually gets solid confirmation that any of these companies have interim certification with the BBFC it might be worth looking into how they managed it.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
I love this thread and will adamantly predict it will end up as the biggest Internet "TOLD YOU SO" ever. Keep up the good fight,guys!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/309774/my-fear-for-star-citizen

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Madcosby posted:

god, can you imagine how many helmet flips, wake up animations, ladder climbing and chair rotating animations you'll have to sit through to play the game
don't forget the airlocks

*hissssssss*

i heard that sandi did the foley work

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

"Are you a game developer? Do you think the artists and model guys do programming? :rolleyes:"

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Lowtax posted:

I love this thread and will adamantly predict it will end up as the biggest Internet "TOLD YOU SO" ever. Keep up the good fight,guys!

We are goons. We do not forgive. We do make fun of your mother. And Chris Roberts.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
do you guys remember when I'd post in the thread about how bad this game would be and goons would flock to the defense of the game

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Eonwe posted:

do you guys remember when I'd post in the thread about how bad this game would be and goons would flock to the defense of the game
i don't think i was paying attention back then can you take us on a trip down memory lane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
What exactly is going on with the glitched out moment that precedes a pilot or co-pilot seeing the interactive UI of a ship?

Like in this recently posted video or this P Gabz joint or this one.

Clearly it's a transition from the more basic ship environment level of detail to the activated and interactive UI stuff, but why the jank? I get that it's typical game dev fuckery to have what seems to be one thing actually be a tiny model projected inside the player's helmet or whatever, just curious what's actually happening and why CIG can't hide it.

• Locked thread